'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Pertwee is my favourite, but it was McCoy I watched from behind the sofa (and I badly wanted to be Ace - still do).
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I think the early Pertwee episodes (first 2-3 seasons) were excellent and incredibly ambitious on a number of levels. Then the early Tom Baker seasons were strong. In my view, the show dipped from 77/78 to 1987. It was not until McCoy's final two "dark Doctor" seasons in 88 & 89 that they got their act together. By then, the BBC had lost faith.
    With the new series, I thought RTD's era was strong but Season 3 ended strikingly poorly. Season 4, with Catherine Tate, is the strongest in my view. Moffat had a decent first season with Matt Smith but frankly since then I have watched DW out of loyalty and in hope rather than expectation. I am hoping Moffat will go out on a high but to be honest, apart from The Empty Child/Doctor Dances and Blink, I did not care for his pre-showrunner episodes either. There is something about his dialogue I just cannot invest in and I find his female characters irritating and samey.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Finally watched The Return Of Doctor Mysterio. My daughter and I enjoyed it, a really good, fun episode for Christmas.
    gumbolt wrote: »
    but frankly since then I have watched DW out of loyalty and in hope rather than expectation.

You and me both! I do like Capaldi - a welcome return to the old and crotchety school of Doctoring - but he hasn't had the best material to work with.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894
    McCoy - Troughton - Smith - Pertwee - Hartnell - Capaldi. Those make up my favourites in that order. And even though I have only heard his debut story, Sympathy For The Devil, I also like David Warner's alternative 3rd Doctor.
    After recently rewatching some of the Pertwee era, I have a greater appreciation for that Doctor and the story's from that period. First time round I was too young to remember Pertwee, Baker was my Doctor and one of the best for me, Matt Smith is probably my favouraite I think season 5 of new who is excellent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Bad news, Capaldi is stepping down at the end of the year, so 2018 will mark the appointment of a new Doctor and a new producer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38805151

Shame, really, as while the stories of his era on the whole have left me cold (Flatline is still my favourite), I have liked the way he has played the role.

Oh well, time and tide melt the snowman.
    A new show runner means in this case a new Doctor.
    I cant say i will miss him,has taken the franchise backwards if im honest...good news for me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Capaldi was a nice return to a more seasoned incarnation of the Doctor after the silliness of the Smith era (although as mentioned above, his stories havent been the greatest). I look forward to Doctor no.13 (or 14) and
    I, for one, will miss him.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like Capaldi's Doctor very much! That is too bad.
    I'll miss him and I'm a little gutted that he's leaving as I think he has been superb. I hope he gets a great send off. So.....who next? Rumours ahoy!!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    While I like Capaldi a great deal (and his performance in the one-man episode 'Heaven Sent' is worthy of some kind of acting accolade in itself) it looks like they will almost certainly go for a return to a twinkly Dr (like Tennent) or a cute, bumbly Dr like Matt Smith.

Sad if they feel they need to grab those viewing figures back by treading old ground, but I guess you can see where they are coming from.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like Capaldi's Doctor very much! That is too bad. I think he was wonderful. I definitely don't want young, twinkly anything. Capaldi had verve, a tang, and depth. And he's just a great actor. Ah well. So we do have this one last season for him. I'll watch it. I know I'll still miss Clara, though.
    I like Capaldi's Doctor very much! That is too bad. I think he was wonderful. I definitely don't want young, twinkly anything. Capaldi had verve, a tang, and depth.

Very much this! I hope he gets some cracking good stories for his final run, and a decent sendoff (I was revolted by David Tennant's Doctor actually whinging about having to sacrifice himself for yet another stupid human).
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Sad news. Capaldi was fantastic as the Doctor. Some (possibly most) of his stories weren't the best, but that's definitely not his fault. I would have loved to see Capaldi's Doctor in a non-Moffat series. Too bad that's never going to happen.
    Capaldi had the potential to be a truly great Doctor but was consistently let down by Moffet's often incomprehenible scripts and overall lack of any real direction of the series during his tenure. Hopefully Chibnell has already worked out where he wants to take the show next. In terms of our next Doctor, i think the dye has already been cast. Thanks to Moffet turning the Master into the Mistress dont be at all surprised if our next Doctor is a lady
    @TheWiz will love this one! BBC News has put forward none other than our own Rory Kinnear as a possibility of playing the next Doctor!
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Capaldi had the potential to be a truly great Doctor but was consistently let down by Moffet's often incomprehenible scripts and overall lack of any real direction of the series during his tenure. Hopefully Chibnell has already worked out where he wants to take the show next. In terms of our next Doctor, i think the dye has already been cast. Thanks to Moffet turning the Master into the Mistress dont be at all surprised if our next Doctor is a lady

That will of course become the major talking point, but with a female companion newly acquired the Dr will always work better as a man.

The boy/girl dynamic is important. And The Master is a woman as well. And River Song etc.

What would be interesting would be a black Doctor. With a black companion as well it would tick a few boxes at the Beeb and probably open up some interesting opportunities for story lines

Black Doctor? Ok i nominate Colin Salmon. A classy Doctor Who
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Black Doctor? Ok i nominate Colin Salmon. A classy Doctor Who
    He's got to have a bit of personality. So that's Colin out

;)
    Paterson Joseph gets my vote !
    Here's 3 choices that I wouldn't mind seeing as Doctor: Richard Ayoade (39), Stephen Mangan (48) or John Hannah (54).
    Meanwhile, here's the list of writers for the tenth series, as well as the titles for some of the episodes :

radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-30/doctor-who-reveals-full-series-10-writer-line-up
    There has to be a Gatiss episode....
    There is.
    Attention Whoniverse!

@Markgatiss has news regarding ssssssome old friends…
    #DoctorWho pic.twitter.com/t2RDXavxyC

• cwl007cwl007 England
    I really like Capaldi's take on the Doctor, Matt Smith was a tough act to follow but he did a different version and did it well. Not everyone's cup of tea but I will miss him. That said, the prospect of a regeneration and a new Doctor is always exciting.
    My choice would be Noel Fielding. He would be perfect as the slightly loopy alien, his physicality would be spot on and he probably already has a perfect costume in his wardrobe.
  • I was excited for Capaldi and for a darker show in general but I can't say I ever really warmed to him. I think the writing has let him down. In series 8 I think the whole character arc was misjudged and made him too unlikeable and in series 9 they seemed to overcompensate and he was just a bit Smith/Tennant lite at times.

I feel like Moffat stayed too long. I'm a big fan but the last two series haven't really done it for me and I feel like his formula/style in general is played out at this point. I think he should've gone out with Smith and Capaldi should have been given a new showrunner and a proper fresh start for his first series.

Oh well, onto the next one. I haven't really watched the show that frequently for the last two seasons but I'm interested it to see how they wrap it up, especially with it being Moffat's last two. And next year should definitely be worth a watch, another relaunch.

This is pure speculation on my part, and I know he said he wanted to move on, but I can't help but wonder if there was any pressure on him to go and allow for a complete shakeup. The show always does well but I think with a new showrunner, the BBC were probably keen for a clean slate to try and recapture the popularity the show had during RTD's run. I agree with @NicNac that they'll probably go with another Smith/Tennant type. As brilliant as Matt Smith was, they still never quite managed to get rid of the ghost of David Tennant imo, not in terms of the quality of the show but in terms of popularity/ratings.

Kinnear was the favourite last time iirc but I can't see it. Richard Ayoade would be perfect.