'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think many of the best Dr Who stories, have a Gothic horror feel to them.
    I'm sure it's no secret that the second Master ( after the disfigured one )
    Anthony Ainley was also one of the police men who discovered Bond's dead
    Body in the PTS of YOLT.
    Wow I never knew that will have to look out for that next time I watch YOLT
    I never watched much DR WHO but I have recently started watching 'Torchwood" Season 1 on Netflix. I know that this is a spinoff and what are some of your opinions concerning this more recent show?
    Eve Myles appeared in DR WHO?
    I for one love it, I think Captain Jack is a great fun character. I do think series 3
    A five part special " Children of earth" is fantastic, almost a modern Quatermass.
    Series 4 made by bbc America is another brilliant idea, sadly stretched out over
    too many episodes. About one day " No one dies ...."
    I have never watched Torchwood, I did attempt Miracle Day though did not get past the first episode.
    13567387_617676381728648_5232311953369354577_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=ef77bdaa98109e9347eade1920f356f6&oe=582E0786

Just saw this made me laugh.
    Series 1&2 are standard sci-fi stuff, chasing aliens etc.
    series 3 "Children of Earth" is fantastic, Peter Capaldi stars as a
    government civil servant. It's only five one hour episodes but I
    was hooked from the start.
    Miracle Day, is very slow, as mentioned running to 10 episodes when the
    same story could have been told in 5 or 6.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I love a good super villain and The Master is the DR's Blofeld. I'm sure he or she
    Will be back :)

He was envisioned as a Moriarty to the Dr as Holmes, but really they used him too much, he turned up in every story of that season.
    I do agree, he may have been used a little too much, but at one point the Dr
    Was banished to earth ( no traveling to other planets ) so I guess it made
    Sense to have a recurring Villain ?
    I do agree, he may have been used a little too much, but at one point the Dr
    Was banished to earth ( no traveling to other planets ) so I guess it made
    Sense to have a recurring Villain ?

True and it made sense for a lower budget, everything on earth meant cheaper decor.

I recently bought online 5 Doctor Who booklets and to my big surprise they turned out to be hardcover by Allan Wingate of London.

Doctor Who and the Seeds of Doom - my first viewing of any Doctor Who scared the living daylight out of me and made me a lifelong fan

Doctor Who and the Lochness Monster - Another Alien, Zygons, that made the little fella I was hide behind the couch.

Doctor Who and the carnival of monsters
    Doctor Who and the planet of Evil
    Doctor Who and the mutants

Some reading for the holidays.

Tom Baker being my first Doctor and he is truly alien and will always be my favorite even if Matt Smith will be close second choice.
    As a kid I had a couple of friends who weren't allowed to watch Dr Who, and
    I remember a few episodes, that scared me ! :) happily the modern show is
    Just as scary.
    Although I don't remember it with the crystal clear clarity that some do, I do remember being terrified by The Web of Fear, and it was so great to be able to see that again on DVD.
    The Cybermen (Troughton era being the best) were the scariest monsters ever, way more than the Daleks.
    The green death, with giant maggots, really did scare me, even put me off
    Sausages for my tea. :D for a while.
    Tomb of the Cybermen is one of my favourite from Troughton, the sets and cast for that period very good.
    I actually think the older version of the Cybermen were more frightening.
    Quite ominous the original design, in New Who major villains have not always been portrayed well. The scene in Pandorica opens when Amy is stalked by the limbless/ headless Cyderman is by far the best scene in New Who with the Cybermen IMO.
    In "Flatline" I thought the 2d creatures very scary. People being pulled into walls becoming
    Graffiti.
    That was probably my favourite season 8 episode, the 2 D creatures were relentless.
    Yes, If I'd been an 8 it 9 year old, I'd have been behind the settee watching it. ;)
    In "Flatline" I thought the 2d creatures very scary. People being pulled into walls becoming
    Graffiti.

Agree. Best story of that series.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    After Tom Bakers departure I only watched DW occasionally - did Peter Davidson come next? IF so I remember him more for being married to the helium voiced Sandra Dickinson.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 5,832
    Good news : the TV Movie, with Paul McGann, will be released on Blu-Ray on september 19th 2016.

doctorwhonews.net/2016/08/tvm-bluray-020816104508.html

To pre-order, go here :

astore.amazon.co.uk/thdowhnepa-21/detail/B01JAK5K7S

Note that it's the second "classic" to be released in this format, after "Spearhead fromSpace". Unfortunately, it might also be the last, given that only those two stories were put entirely on film, and not the usual "Film Outside, Video Inside" so prevalent in british productions of the time.
    stag wrote: »
    After Tom Bakers departure I only watched DW occasionally - did Peter Davidson come next? IF so I remember him more for being married to the helium voiced Sandra Dickinson.

Yes, that was Peter Davison. Then came Colin Baker (no relation), Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann. Since the series started again in 2005, we've got Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant (who married Peter Davison's daughter, BTW), Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi. Oh, and Sir John Hurt as well.

I just saw the Bluray Spearhead from Space and it worked excellently on Bluray. Looking forward to McGanns release here is a Doctor that was not enough around on tv (only twice so far) and who made a big impact on de Big Finish cd series.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 5,832
    And here's the cover :

71mCnOsZAaL._SL1181_.jpg

And Daphne Ashbrook is the next in the "Mythmakers" series ,by Reeltime :

https://galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=4514&vts=geExAwM
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Capaldi is perfect as The Doctor. And I love Clara. I think she was played to perfection. I enjoyed every bit of her (except her ending).
    Which one ? ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Clara with Capaldi. That one. :)
    I do agree that it was like Peri all over again. But I liked it. Even if it didn't hold a candle to her actual death in "Face the Raven". Guess Moffat wanted to have his cake and eat it too (although I don't get that expression : are we not supposed to have our cake before eating it ? Or are we only allowed to eat cakes that are not our own ? In France, we say "Avoir le beurre et l'argent du beurre" - having the butter and the butter's money - which is more logical, because if you spend the money to get the butter, you don't have it anymore).