'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Meanwhile, in your toy shops :

sonic-1-1.jpg

sonic-2.jpg

sonic-3.jpg

sonic-5.jpg

I already have the preceeding model, but I'm quite tempted to buy that one as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have one, but I think it's one of the cheaper models, it comes with a 5" figure of the 11th Doctor (tweed jacket/blue shirt).

I am not sure if the dates are correct, but 20 years ago today, the 7th Doctor era officially ended, and the 8th Doctor arrived. 20 years ago today, the tvm premiered in Canada, the 14th in the US, and the 27th here in the UK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116118/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf
    The filming of the tenth season starts in two weeks time :

radiotimes.com/news/2016-06-04/doctor-who-series-10-starts-filming-in-two-weeks

As for "Class", a new actress has joined the cast : Anna Shaffer, who played Romilda Vane in the last three Harry Potter movies :

radiotimes.com/news/2016-05-25/looks-like-harry-potter-star-anna-shaffer-has-joined-doctor-who-spin-off-class

That's all for now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Another trip to Cardiff, and more BF audios from the Comic Guru. I picked up 4, 1 Novel Adaption (Nightshade), and 3 from the main range (Project: Lazarus, Dreamtime & Terror Of The Sontarans). I have listened to Nightshade, but was a bit disappointed not to hear the Howard Carter 7th Doctor theme. After it's debut in Damaged Goods, I thought that it was the theme for the 7th Doctor Novel Adaptions from that point on.
    A few news about series 10, which starts filming next monday (june 20th) :

doctorwhotv.co.uk/matt-lucas-returning-for-series-10-first-4-writers-confirmed-80735.htm
    By chance, while looking in a local bookshop, I came across a copy of...

latest?cb=20060806092734

I have been toying with the idea of looking into the New Adventures books, and for £4 I wasn't going to let it get away.
    First set pic released :

ClpCXMzWMAABsPU.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that's the town hall of Cardiff, near the Boulevard de Nantes, isn't it ?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 5,832
    About the spin-off "Class", look at that :

ChAgTVkWMAAdp65.jpg

Great tribute, don't you think ?

More info here :

denofgeek.com/uk/tv/class/37676/class-patrick-ness-talks-lgbt-representation/page/0/1
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rumour-matt-smith-to-return-80817.htm

This rumour has appeared on various web pages, probably very unlikely though being a fan of Smith I would be open to him returning as the 13th Doctor.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I used to love Dr Who when I was a kid (Jon Pertwee then Tom Baker were the Doctors in my day) I haven't watched the new series but have recently enjoyed watching repeats of some episodes starring the above on TV)
    Recently they replayed a lot of the old shows in the UK on the Horror channel @stag the old stories for most part stand up well. I grew up watching Tom Baker, some of the best shows were during his tenure IMO.
    Yes that's where I saw them. IMO those were the golden days of the show.

Between modern and classic, I prefer the classic show (McCoy, Troughton, Pertwee & Hartnell). That said, I liked Smith, and wouldn't be against the 11th Doctor returning. But this story sounds like he'd come back as the main Doctor. :-?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too was raised with Pertwee and Baker, but think Matt Smith was
    IMHO the Best Dr yet.
    I too was raised with Pertwee and Baker, but think Matt Smith was
    IMHO the Best Dr yet.

I haven't seen any of the new shows so can't comment on that. For me Sylvester McCoy never worked as the Doctor. I only saw a few episodes of his time though & haven't bothered watching the Horror channel repeats featuring him.

I watched Sylvester McCoy in so many kids comedy shows, that I couldn't
    Believe him as the Doctor and of course by that stage the budgets had been
    Slashed. Which didn't help the quality.
    The budgets being cut, are indefensible, but the writing did get better.
    The stories could be good, on one of the documentaries the special effects
    Guys said how the director came back from watching Star Wars, and was
    Looking for similar effects. :)) ... on their tiny budget.
    On one John Pertwee story, the crew had to play "Extras" as there was no
    Money left to pay for professional actors. Yet the show was making millions
    For the BBC through world sales, but the BBC regarded it as a kids show. So
    Just refused to up the budget.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,901
    That's auntie Beeb for you. If it wasn't turning a blind eye to the likes of Sa-vvile, then it was trying to choke Doctor Who of it's budget.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 6,432
    If big if that Smith returned, I think he is capable of a different characterization which intrigues me. Smith season 5 my favourite season of Who...
    I honestly didn't think anyone could take over from David Tennant, but
    Matt Smith was outstanding, a brilliant Doctor. =D>
    Rebel Flesh 2 parter one of my favourite from season six, Smith really showed his range.
    I've just finished watching " Death in Heaven" with Peter Capaldi with Missy and the
    Cybermen.
    I've just finished watching " Death in Heaven" with Peter Capaldi with Missy and the
    Cybermen.

I struggled with season 8 too much Clara soap opera stuff, though enjoyed the first part of the finale. I guessed it was the Master though great reveal, Missy is up there with Delgado and Ainsley. Sorry forgot actresses name. Edited: Michelle Gomez

I love a good super villain and The Master is the DR's Blofeld. I'm sure he or she
    Will be back :)
    I rewatched a lot of the Pertwee era last year, liked Delgado being omnipresent shame he passed away he could have played the part for years the very best master for me. I changed my mind about Pertwee was a good period for Who, Timelord mythology expanded a lot during that time.
    I rewatched a lot of the Pertwee era last year, liked Delgado being omnipresent shame he passed away he could have played the part for years the very best master for me. I changed my mind about Pertwee was a good period for Who, Timelord mythology expanded a lot during that time.

Yes Roger Delgado was the best master. When I watched the repeats on the horror channel I actually remembered some of the episodes quite clearly. The 'sea devils' & the series about the satan type creature being found in the ancient burial mound were immediately recognisable.
    I was very young watching Pertwee, but I loved him as the Doctor. All the martial arts,His attitude to authority, all very Impressive. I remember being terrified at " The green death" with its giant
    Maggots. Watching it again ( on the horror channel) I'd forgotten the Doctor dressing up as a
    Cleaning woman :D
    stag wrote: »

Yes Roger Delgado was the best master. When I watched the repeats on the horror channel I actually remembered some of the episodes quite clearly. The 'sea devils' & the series about the satan type creature being found in the ancient burial mound were immediately recognisable.

Me too I had vague memories prior to revisiting Pertwee though came flooding back, the Satan creature episode very Hammer Horror. Inferno I remembered that was a great story, reminded me of Mirror, Mirror from Star Trek.