'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @fire_and_ice - I thought the same. This series' answer to the crack in the wall from series 5. An ok episode to get the series sup and running, Nardole was in it much (thankfully), and as for Bill, i'd like to see more episodes first.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Kris Marshall ????."....
    @fire_and_ice - I thought the same. This series' answer to the crack in the wall from series 5. An ok episode to get the series sup and running, Nardole was in it much (thankfully), and as for Bill, i'd like to see more episodes first.

Thought Bill was OK there were some good interactions with her and the Doctor, yes the vault echos Pandorica Moffat does have a habit of repeating himself. I liked Moffat early on though I am glad he is leaving, I feel he has stayed on too long already though Who Knows he may give us a great season.
    I must admit that the Doctor's new colleague is actually quite good,it was a very impressive first episode..but Matt Lucas' character is still shit,and is he an android btw .i cant remember ?
    Matt Lucas is a none event thankfully hardly noticed him, going to watch The Pilot again which is rare during the Capaldi era for me.
    Yes,compared to most of Capaldi's episodes,it was good..not sure about next weeks episode though..
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Yes,compared to most of Capaldi's episodes,it was good..not sure about next weeks episode though..

I find it very difficult to judge something I have not seen, will wait and see it before I actually rate it. Quite a few episodes in the DW series have surprised me in the past and Capaldi's era is no exception.
    SaintMark wrote: »

I find it very difficult to judge something I have not seen, will wait and see it before I actually rate it. Quite a few episodes in the DW series have surprised me in the past and Capaldi's era is no exception.

Let us know what you think when you get around to watching it.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Kris Marshall ????."....

Nothing has been officially confirmed. But his name is a persistent rumour, just like Capaldi's was...
    Kris Marshall ????."....

Nothing has been officially confirmed. But his name is a persistent rumour, just like Capaldi's was...

He would be a spoof act surely ??
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Kris Marshall ????."....

He would be a spoof act surely ??

Your guess is as good as mine. If the rumours are to be belived, then our new Doctor will take over at the end of the present series, rather than at christmas. Capaldi has, so he claims, already filmed his regeneration. Filming on the Christmas special, isn't due to take place until July.
    So Capaldi will regenerate on the final episode of this season and the new Doctor will be used in the entirety of the Christmas Special,Major ?
    Possibly. Capaldi says that he has filmed his regeneration already, and in the recent series 10 trailer, there is what appears to be a shot of the Doctor starting to regenerate. That and the special not being filmed until July, could mean that we might see the next Doctor sooner than usual.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    A little comic con was held down the road from me today. Had the pleasure of meeting Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker. Absolutely charming fella.
    Lucky you !

Saw "The Pilot" today (BTW, I very much prefered the original title "A Star in her Eye"), and liked it. As an introduction episode, it did its job well (loved the photographs scenes). Plus, one can count the number of Easter Eggs scattered here and there and still not find them all. Myself, I managed to find one from "The Chase" and one from "The War Machines". But I missed the fact that we had seen Bill's adoptive mother before in the series.

Oh, and...

radiotimes.com/news/2017-04-18/is-peter-capaldi-set-to-join-forces-with-a-major-classic-doctor-who-character-in-the-christmas-special

Wouldn't it be cool if that was true ?
    That would open up a number of possibilities if true.
    Could we be in store for a Tenth Planet Redux?
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Interesting I wonder if Susan will return, her photo in The Pilot could be teasing that.194942EB00000578-0-image-a-75_1492471869815.jpg Though perhaps not as the photo was of the original actress Carol Ann Ford.
    Enjoyed the first episode, but still not sure about Bill Potts? However I am enjoying Matt Lucas for more humour that he also provides alongside Peter Capaldi.
    Plus, she never (to the best of my knowledge) met the Cybermen.
    Apparently the Doctor is to remain male, at least for the time being:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/04/20/doctor-wont-woman-say-bbc-letter-concerned-fan/
    I'm quite relieved by that tbh..
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I suppose all the letter from the BBC really says is that there are "no current plans to cast a female Doctor" but surely that tells us nothing - because they have not cast anyone at all yet (I assume). They are not ruling it out. Personally, I think a female Doctor would be a disaster for the show - the ultimate example of jumping the shark that would go down in infamy. But what kind of a father writes to the BBC to suggest changing the gender of the Doctor would "confuse his children"? I suspect that is just his own confusion talking there!
    The letter (the reply from the Beeb) is quoted as saying that there are "currently no plans", so that leads me to believe that the Doctor yet to be announced will be a male. The other after that, is a different matter. There are certainly actresses out that that could play an eccentric alien, but feel that the Doctor doesn't need a sex change. I still don't believe that The Master needed to change sex, especially when The Rani is ready to be introduced to a new audience, unfamiliar with the character. I suspect The Master only underwent such a change, was to test the water, and as an excuse for the same to happen to The Doctor.
    My guess for the next Doctor : John Simm. Now, that would make a lot of jaws drop. If it happens, remember who told you so.

And one more thing : after all the tributes Moffat paid to her, wouldn't it be great if Mary Steenburgen appeared as a guest on an episode ?
    I must admit i didnt think i would like this episode but once again so far so good...and i DO like the assistant....anyway back to the Doctor,and the Emoji's.
    It's decent episode so far, the new companion is pretty good.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Enjoyed that. Nice, light episode, reminiscent of something we saw from RTD.
    I must admit i am liking Capaldi more this series,and he and his companion really gel well and bounce off eachother.

I do like her so far..impressed.
    Have you noticed that Bill met an old friend of the Doctor ? Precisely Nefertiti ?
    I must admit i didnt think i would like this episode but once again so far so good...and i DO like the assistant....anyway back to the Doctor,and the Emoji's.

Agreed on both. Smile had a wonderfully off-kilter feel to it, almost surreal. I was going to give Bill a chance, anyway, but i'm pretty much sold on her already.

"I'm in a utopia for vacuous teens." - The Doctor