'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Attention Whoniverse!

@Markgatiss has news regarding ssssssome old friends…
    #DoctorWho pic.twitter.com/t2RDXavxyC

Better here :

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Ho go on I'll be the first on here to say it why no give Idris Elba the job !!....
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Ho go on I'll be the first on here to say it why no give Idris Elba the job !!....

When we go for the not affordable stars for BBC tv why not go nuts and say Daniel Craig.

Dan still has a job for the time being .
    Paterson Joseph !!!

barryt007 wrote: »
    Paterson Joseph !!!

Not a bad call that Barry.
    I am fine with anybody as long as we do not go for another gender, in that case I will duck out until they come to their senses. I am fine with equality and such but James Bond, Doctor who and Batman are men.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I think they will cast a man. I am pretty sure they will cast a white man and I fully expect it to be a much younger man than Capaldi. Indeed, I suspect that Poldark himself Aidan Turner may be exactly who they - the BBC - want. I don't think the "bookies favourites" at this early stage have any basis in reality - Capadi was not really a frontrunner with the bookies until just days before he was actually cast (no doubt due to an inside leak). I just don't see Ben Whishaw taking the role, as good as he would be (although too similar to Matt Smith perhaps?). If Turner says no, then I think they will go for a relative unknown. I hope they don't go for a boy genius type as that would be insufferable. They need to get the younger female audience back apparently and so you need a charismatic young man for that. I don't see women getting behind a female Doctor and I don't think male viewers would buy that either.
    Sad that Capaldi has announced that he is stepping down. Loved him as the DR with his looks and wild eyes and brilliant costume! As for his wit in the role? Brilliant!
  • I eventually warmed to Capaldi though with his finale season not far away I still don't think he has put his mark on the role, his Doctor has be written too inconsistently with stupid gimmicks and I don't feel he has had a truly great episode. Heaven sent was close to being great, then got immediately undermined.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I eventually warmed to Capaldi though with his finale season not far away I still don't think he has put his mark on the role, his Doctor has be written too inconsistently with stupid gimmicks and I don't feel he has had a truly great episode. Heaven sent was close to being great, then got immediately undermined.
    We will never have everyone agreeing on great episodes, but the general consensus will see Heaven Sent go down as one of the greats. It was the only episode of DW that I watched a second time immediately after it finished (although that may have been to clear up one or two moments of personal confusion ;) ).

• NicNac wrote: »
    I eventually warmed to Capaldi though with his finale season not far away I still don't think he has put his mark on the role, his Doctor has be written too inconsistently with stupid gimmicks and I don't feel he has had a truly great episode. Heaven sent was close to being great, then got immediately undermined.
    We will never have everyone agreeing on great episodes, but the general consensus will see Heaven Sent go down as one of the greats. It was the only episode of DW that I watched a second time immediately after it finished (although that may have been to clear up one or two moments of personal confusion ;) ).

Heaven Sent I just felt was undermined by Hell Bent, Hell Bent was good though Cara's resurection undermined much of the weight achieved in Heaven Sent. :)

• his Doctor has be written too inconsistently with stupid gimmicks

Definitely agree with this. One minute he's a cynical restrained and enigmatic (and bordering on unlikeable with his dislike of soldiers etc), the next he's a wacky shades wearing space hobo. I think they never really settled on a clear idea of what his doctor should be.

I'd like something similar to the first series. Bring back a bit of mystery to the character. Stop adding more and more to the backstory. Keep it simple and grounded and try to come up with clever story concepts that are actually relevant to the viewers (it's hard to do that in a sci fi show but I think the first series managed it despite the crap CGI and the sometimes dodgy plots).
    I've never seen a single episode of Dr Who but in an attempt to distract myself from work at the office today I read this great article.
    Thought it was worth a share.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/peter-capaldi/46921/peter-capaldi-doctor-who-and-his-behind-the-scenes-humanity
  • A real shame. Capaldi loved the role so much. Only a few months ago he said that he would stay as long as they wanted him. He even joked about celebrating his sixtieth birthday (in two years time) in the Tardis. I suspect, sadly, that he is not exactly leaving on his own volition. New show-runner, new era, new doctor, now. They will probably go for somebody significantly younger.

As soon as it is permitted, I am looking forward to listening to the 12th Doctor Adventures on Big Finish.

Peter Capaldi is a Doctor Who fan, and no doctor treated the fans quite as considerately as he has.

Let's hope he goes out strongly, now. He deserves a decent send off.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    TR007 wrote: »
    I've never seen a single episode of Dr Who but in an attempt to distract myself from work at the office today I read this great article.
    Thought it was worth a share.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/peter-capaldi/46921/peter-capaldi-doctor-who-and-his-behind-the-scenes-humanity

That's really delightful, and I think most if not all the Doctors were similarly invested. Tom Baker was careful not to be seen drinking or smoking in public during his tenure, so as not to break the spell for children.
    She's back !

And I couldn't be happier !
  • I want to see Missy in her Tardis at some point
    my guess is the Master will return as leader of the Daleks, I guess she stayed on Skaro sometime.
    Great to have her back!!!
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I'm still waiting for the original Dr Who to be repeated on the horror channel. I used to look forward to watching them on an afternoon.
  • I have mixed feelings about Missy. Nothing to do with the excellent Michelle Gomez, I think I just preferred it when the Master was Moriarty to the Doctor's Holmes. I've grown tired of the unhinged, constantly wise-cracking version. There's no vulnerability there at all. I guess I'll always be a Roger Delgado man, at heart.

Hoping to see Capaldi go out with a magnificent final year. He deserves it.
    Meanwhile, for future Time Lords :

tardis-stroller1.jpg

16507892_1224320077652554_8375387259440763241_n.jpg?oh=fad67b846128880f2023b0fce620d94e&oe=594A1366

Aww, that's really too cute. Too bad neither model is for sale... yet. But that would be a good idea, wouldn't it ?
    I think David Bowie would have been wonderfully over the top and camp as The Master had a 1990s big screen Who adventure ever come to light. And if some people felt that the early Pertwee-Delgado era felt a bit like Who-meets-Bond, then I also think that Delgado would have made a great Bond villain. None of the other Masters would have been good Bond villains. David Bowie was rumoured to be considered for Zorin, wasn't he? I wonder if the key to being a great Master and lead Bond villain is that an actor could easily do both? Christopher Lee, Christopher Walken, Jonathan Pryce (who played The Master in a 1990s Dr Who Comic Relief special), Toby Stephens, Mads Mikkelson and Christoph Waltz could all make great movie Masters.
  • You might be right there. He appeared as a character in the Tom Baker era, and in a William Hartnell serial, but I think Julian Glover would have made a decent Master, too. Perhaps The Master's next incarnation will prove to be a little more restrained, intense and thoughtful. He has been rather pantomime ever since Anthony Ainley, in truth. (not that there is anything wrong with that)
    "Pantomime" was a word that occurred to me when I was writing my last post but I decided that John Sim was not panto, but was "CBBC manic", which I think is also the wrong vibe and not close to Bond villain material. And yes - Julian Glover is a great bad guy who has appeared in both DW and obviously FYEO, but I've always felt he is more of a supporting bad guy - a middle man between the henchman and real villain - rather than the principal baddie.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    From the world of Bond, I would have liked to have seen Timothy Dalton & Christopher Lee as The Master, especially the later. Lee would have made a chilling post-Delgado Master, and Dalton for a 1990's Master (but only if opposite McCoy's 7th Doctor).

I'm not a fan of Missy, while The Rani is ripe for a reintroduction to the show, this drastic change comes off as little more than an excuse to cast a female Doctor at some point. Also, I can't help but look at Missy, and see Michelle Gomez's Sue White character from Green Wing.

I loved Sue White, her and Dr Statham were my two favourite characters.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    and Dalton for a 1990's Master (but only if opposite McCoy's 7th Doctor.

That would have blown my 11-year-old mind beyond repair. Worth it, though.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Bluray Steelbook
    81xzRpCHyoL._SL1500_.jpg

Release date March 20th in UK may have to buy this, love the art work

91M-l5X9rpL._SL1500_.jpg
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    From the world of Bond, I would have liked to have seen Timothy Dalton & Christopher Lee as The Master, especially the later. Lee would have made a chilling post-Delgado Master, and Dalton for a 1990's Master (but only if opposite McCoy's 7th Doctor).

Except that Lee apparently had a strong dis-like for Doctor Who. Big Finish approached him during the Wilderness Years about playing Rassilon in a couple of audios with Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor. His dislike of the show dated farther back than that, having told Peter Cushing that he shouldn't do the two Daleks films he appeared in.

Both would have been good, that's for sure.

timdalton007
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Bluray Steelbook
    81xzRpCHyoL._SL1500_.jpg

Release date March 20th in UK may have to buy this, love the art work

91M-l5X9rpL._SL1500_.jpg

Nice. Released just after my birthday. Might have to treat myself.