No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

fjdinardo wrote: »
    If Mendes wants Newman he gets Newman. Simple as that. Mendes was given the world when he directed Spectre.

Surely even Mendes can see Newman is on autopilot for Bond. He doesn't give a sh*t
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »
    If Mendes wants Newman he gets Newman. Simple as that. Mendes was given the world when he directed Spectre.

Surely even Mendes can see Newman is on autopilot for Bond. He doesn't give a sh*t
    His sound is not right for Bond, but he is an accomplished composer and devises some great melodies. A Bond composer must have range, and be able to nail the action sequences in memorable ways. That is where most of them have failed recently imho. Most of them can nail the slow stuff.

God I hope whoever directs the next film kicks Newman into touch.We need a Bond film with a decent score desperately !

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All the more reason why we should've cloned Barry. Damn you, science!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Serria's score I like because it's different and it's a 1 time only score
    Agreed. I enjoy all of the one off composers.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Joe Kraemer or Ramin Djawadi
    Djawadi could do Bond in his sleep and still deliver a masterclass score.

Is this typical of this guy? I'm not hearing Bond here. Gladiator maybe.
    I'm still hoping my dream of John Williams can compose a bond film one day
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I would take Eric Sierra over Newman.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    vzok wrote: »
    That's an example to illustrate his range. A well composed Bond film draws inspiration from several areas, depending on the context. One must be able to deliver something varied, atmospheric & textured. Djawadi has that range, & it's clear if one follows GoT.

Howard Shore did something similar for the epic original LoTR trilogy. Just masterful work all round in every way (slow, fast, action, romance etc. etc.).
    That's an example to illustrate his range. A well composed Bond film draws inspiration from several areas, depending on the context. One must be able to deliver something varied, atmospheric & textured. Djawadi has that range, & it's clear if one follows GoT.

Howard Shore did something similar for the epic original LoTR trilogy. Just masterful work all round in every way (slow, fast, action, romance etc. etc.).

I guess I like my Bond music jazzier and snappier.

I don't have a problem with that either. In fact, I enjoy the jazzy elements of the early Bond films. If the mood & tone of the film requires it, then the composer should bring it. GoT is a bit moody so Djawadi doesn't incorporate that. He did do something very different for Mr. Brooks, so the range is there.

I don't have a problem with that either. In fact, I enjoy the jazzy elements of the early Bond films. If the mood & tone of the film requires it, then the composer should bring it. GoT is a bit moody so Djawadi doesn't incorporate that. He did do something very different for Mr. Brooks, so the range is there.

OK, I don't watch GoT, but the penny has just dropped. He did Person Of Interest, and he did running themes for each character and organisation, rather like John Barry. Lots of great sneaky spy stuff.

His sound is not right for Bond, but he is an accomplished composer and devises some great melodies. A Bond composer must have range, and be able to nail the action sequences in memorable ways. That is where most of them have failed recently imho. Most of them can nail the slow stuff.
    What are his great melodies
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Murdock wrote: »
    I care about the score. I want good Bond music again.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic, I also care a lot about the score, and I honestly would rather talk about that than "Daniel Craig's hairdo" or "Jamie Bell could become next James Bond" and s**t like that.

He has done some absolutely wonderful work for films like Road to Perdition, The Shawshank Redemption, Meet Joe Black, American Beauty and most recently, Passengers. His Severine theme is incredibly lush and beautiful, and as good as Barry's best - damn shame we didn't hear enough of it.

He is an excellent & highly regarded composer, but he can't score the action for sh**, and that's where Bond needs improvement.

• edited February 2017 Posts: 252

Here 3 Tracks from his Score on "Person of Interest"

Very nice. He has the goods.

Someone like him is what we need.
  • I just saw John Wick 2, and by God, EON should just hire that whole team. I can't remember the last time I saw action cinema done so right.

He has done some absolutely wonderful work for films like Road to Perdition, The Shawshank Redemption, Meet Joe Black, American Beauty and most recently, Passengers. His Severine theme is incredibly lush and beautiful, and as good as Barry's best - damn shame we didn't hear enough of it.

He is an excellent & highly regarded composer, but he can't score the action for sh**, and that's where Bond needs improvement.

I don't remember any of those scores apart from American Beauty. Sure they're fine in a downbeat ambient sort of way.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,756
    This Omega connection with Daniel is basically confirmation he's back. There's not much to dispute this. Craig is back.
    This Omega connection with Daniel is basically confirmation he's back. There's not much to dispute this. Craig is back.
    It does seem that way. As I mentioned earlier, I think it also indicates a 2018 release because Omega will not be doing market planning for 2019 Dec (which means 2020 results for them). It's too far out and the product tastes change too much during that time.

Unless he is meeting them for a personal promo in the next few months (Baselworld 2017 is just around the corner after all and as I said, their results were awful and they need all the help they can get). I recall Brozz promoting Omega as Bond in between film releases, as an example.
    Serra's score is the worst
    The score of GoldenEye is MILES above anything Arnold has ever done.

Sorry, I'm not having that. There are parts of CR and QoS that actually rival the best of John Barry (and this is coming from a massive Barry fan). The Vesper love theme is right up there, as is the Barry-circa-1971-sounding Night at the Opera from QoS.

There are decent moments in the GE soundtrack, but some absolute shockers too (the mountain car chase at the beginning), far worse than anything Arnold has ever done.

The score of GE fails in comparison next to CR and QoS.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's not just CR and QoS. Plenty of Arnold's early work can easily rival some of Barry's finest, IMO.
    I don't think Arnold's work comes anywhere close to Barry. It's imitative, but nowhere as good. The only track I can recall that comes within shooting distance is Night At The Opera, and perhaps African Rundown.

For Bond composers, this is it for me:

Barry
    Martin

*gap*

Hamlisch
    Arnold (CR)
    Arnold (QoS)
    Conti (memorable motifs in places)
    Serra (GE)
    Newman (SF)
    Kamen (LTK)
    Arnold (TND)

*gap*

Newman (SP)

*massive gap*

Arnold (TWINE/DAD)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2017 Posts: 16,330
    I think Arnold is far better than the one off's and especially Newman.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think Arnold is far better than the one off's and especially Newman.
    It seems some feel that way. I don't and I can assure you that period between 1997 and 2002 was a miserable time for me, because like you I think the score is very important to a Bond film. I couldn't believe what we were being served during that time. I admit he really upped his game for the last two.
    I have been saying it since the end of Spectre. Craig is gonna want to one up Pierces Bond film number. I do believe when the report came out saying Craig signed on for 2 more Bond films after Skyfall that the movie Spectre was a mandatory film he had to do per the contract but Bond 25 he was given the option if he wants to do it again or not. That's why I believe that is the reason how Spectre ended. It can retire the Craig Bond or it can countinue the Craig Spectre story.

Now for Bond 25 I don't want them leaving us with an option ending for what can happen with Bond 26
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I thought the scores for TND, TWINE and DAD were great. I'll admit that the D&B got a bit overused in those but they were still memorable and enjoyable Bond scores in their own right. But that's where action scores were going in those days. I also love his scores for CR and QOS. They needed a bit more Bond theme usage but pretty solid. For me though, 2012 and 2015 are my miserable time for Bond musically. I enjoyed Skyfall and Spectre but not their music scores.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I have been saying it since the end of Spectre. Craig is gonna want to one up Pierces Bond film number. I do believe when the report came out saying Craig signed on for 2 more Bond films after Skyfall that the movie Spectre was a mandatory film he had to do per the contract but Bond 25 he was given the option if he wants to do it again or not. That's why I believe that is the reason how Spectre ended. It can retire the Craig Bond or it can countinue the Craig Spectre story.

Now for Bond 25 I don't want them leaving us with an option ending for what can happen with Bond 26

Your last sentence there. I can't agree more! This was my issue with SP. Don't tease the fans. If that was meant to be the last movie from Craig there should've been more closure. Not all this open-ended, open to interpretation BS.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Arnold truly gets the Bond sound more than any other Barry successor. In both CR and QoS, he was forbidden from using the Bond theme prominently, and yet both scores have an undeniably Bondian sound.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Your last sentence there. I can't agree more! This was my issue with SP. Don't tease the fans. If that was meant to be the last movie from Craig there should've been more closure. Not all this open-ended, open to interpretation BS.
    Yep and I'm hoping with the Bond 25 (unless they are going to do a 2 part back to back story) they end the Spectre story/Craig story for good. The problem is if Craig decides he wants to do Bond 26. I say if he decides to do Bond 26 a year or so after Bond25 then write a new story for his Bond. Don't leave it with the possibility he may be back or not.

I have a feeling This is why Cubby never liked doing continuing stories when he was running things.