Bad decisions made by characters in the Bond movie's.

1235»

Comments

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Bond going back to look at Tilly Masterson's body instead of fleeing the scene.
  • suavejmf wrote: »
    Leaving Lupe at the end of LTK......Criminal.

I definitely would have chose Lupe

• 00Beast wrote: »
    Benny wrote:
    Stacey Sutton not 'getting down' when Bond is running toward her yelling at her to do so.
    After all they've been through, you'd have thought she would listen to him by now.
    Instead she continues running, shouting 'JAMES...JAMES' as an airship the size of a house sneaks up beside her!

I've actually read somewhere about this particular contraversial scene. The writer made a fantastic point that when the bomb went off because May Day sacrificed herself, and we see a shot of Stacey falling down when it blows, it could be that the sound of the bomb partially deafened Stacey or impaired her hearing greatly, and thus she couldn't necessarily understand what Bond was yelling to her. Also, combine that with the sheer sound of the airship behind her, and you've got twice the noise. Still, I agree that this was very poorly executed and leaves us to overthink this scene.

This would also explain why Stacey doesn't pass Bond the soap when he asks for it at the end. Mind...blown.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Beast wrote: »
    Benny wrote:
    Stacey Sutton not 'getting down' when Bond is running toward her yelling at her to do so.
    After all they've been through, you'd have thought she would listen to him by now.
    Instead she continues running, shouting 'JAMES...JAMES' as an airship the size of a house sneaks up beside her!

I've actually read somewhere about this particular contraversial scene. The writer made a fantastic point that when the bomb went off because May Day sacrificed herself, and we see a shot of Stacey falling down when it blows, it could be that the sound of the bomb partially deafened Stacey or impaired her hearing greatly, and thus she couldn't necessarily understand what Bond was yelling to her. Also, combine that with the sheer sound of the airship behind her, and you've got twice the noise. Still, I agree that this was very poorly executed and leaves us to overthink this scene.

This would also explain why Stacey doesn't pass Bond the soap when he asks for it at the end. Mind...blown.
    =))
    00Beast wrote: »
    Benny wrote:

Do you think she blew his mind at that point?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Dr No's decision to install a huge air vent in a prison cell. With an electrified grating that could be removed using a pair of shoes....
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Dr No's decision to install a huge air vent in a prison cell. With an electrified grating that could be removed using a pair of shoes....

Dr. No wanted Bond to escape through the vent so he would get tortured by the icy water, the hot metal and so on.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Walecs wrote: »

Dr. No wanted Bond to escape through the vent so he would get tortured by the icy water, the hot metal and so on.

Yeah, look how that turned out....
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

In the book yes. In the film....I'm not sure.
    suavejmf wrote: »

That probably makes it a bad decision by the writers rather than Dr No.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Dario has to be up there. Bond was only ever going to be hang on for so long, and to actually straddle the edge of the conveyer belt over a massive meat grinder, just to make his point?
    Even by Bond villian standards that is super stupid.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Yeah, look how that turned out....

That's the point, though. The villains went too far with his ego. He thought he was invincible and Bond would never escape his trap and instead of killing him he tortured him.
    In Die Another Day, during the Icelandic stealth scene where Bond is about to infiltrate the greenhouse where Graves' private quarters were, Bond simply doesn't check his P99 nor feels the emptiness of the magazine it's holding. What kind of a spy/covert operative with decades in his resume and being a legend in his own universe wouldn't feel how much does the pistol weigh when loaded or not. Even if not that, wouldn't you check your pistol upon entrance like when cocking the firearm? Shouldn't he have done that? Cock the gun as you go in? What was he expecting? Attack the enemy with the safety pin on even? There you go. All for the force of benefiting Miranda as she "switched the guns".
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Two words: Purvis. Wade.
    Exactly.
    vzok wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

That probably makes it a bad decision by the writers rather than Dr No.

For Dr No: justified by overconfidence. For the writers: justified by budget.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    In Die Another Day, during the Icelandic stealth scene where Bond is about to infiltrate the greenhouse where Graves' private quarters were, Bond simply doesn't check his P99 nor feels the emptiness of the magazine it's holding. What kind of a spy/covert operative with decades in his resume and being a legend in his own universe wouldn't feel how much does the pistol weigh when loaded or not. Even if not that, wouldn't you check your pistol upon entrance like when cocking the firearm? Shouldn't he have done that? Cock the gun as you go in? What was he expecting? Attack the enemy with the safety pin on even? There you go. All for the force of benefiting Miranda as she "switched the guns".

@ClarkDevlin I had assumed that she only removed the firing pin from the gun, but perhaps I'm misremembering. If it was supposed to be that she unloaded Bond's gun, it is absurd that he wouldn't notice.

@ClarkDevlin I had assumed that she only removed the firing pin from the gun, but perhaps I'm misremembering. If it was supposed to be that she unloaded Bond's gun, it is absurd that he wouldn't notice.
    The P99 is a bit too complicated for the firing pin removal, though. It's not as easy as the PPK, or any pistol that has a hammer in the back. But, I did think of that. Still think the writers went for unloading Bond's gun which I find absurd. But that's me and my perspective on it.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

The P99 is a bit too complicated for the firing pin removal, though. It's not as easy as the PPK, or any pistol that has a hammer in the back. But, I did think of that. Still think the writers went for unloading Bond's gun which I find absurd. But that's me and my perspective on it.

I hadn't considered the complexity of the P99. It is ridiculous for the writers to have us believe that Bond wouldn't notice his gun was without bullets.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Agreed. Although, Fleming's Bond made some pathetic mistakes.....not shooting Sluggsy and Horror and Scaramanga in cold blood, not noticing Wint & Kidd on the cruise ship etc.
  • As much as I love the film, I really don't get the scene in TSWLM with Bond at Fakkech's house. Was the woman working with Chandor? Always confuses me
    As much as I love the film, I really don't get the scene in TSWLM with Bond at Fakkech's house. Was the woman working with Chandor? Always confuses me

That should be for the questions thread.