Bad decisions made by characters in the Bond movie's.

Comments

SaintMark wrote:
    pachazo wrote:
    This is a belter of a bad decision, Bond taking M to Skyfall Lodge to her death. Could MI6 have not just got M on a private jet or helicopter and got her out of the country to guaranteed safety.
    Yeah I'm not sure why Mallory, Tanner and Q just go along with Bond's plan and lead Silva and his small army of men right to them without even sending any back up. I kept waiting for the cavalry to arrive at some point to trap Silva but it never came. I understand that James Bond was protecting her but still... come on.
    M specifically stated that she didn't want anyone else dying for her.

So why did she not walk into the street, your logic states that she does not want anybody else to die for her BUT 007.

No they did not come up with a good reason to add the SF estate and disguised it with the always popular DB5 moment.

M said she and Bond were the only ones that were leaving before she said that she wanted nobody else to die, meaning nobody else should risk their lives but she and Bond.

And the DB5 "moment" wasn't the only reason Skyfall existed, obviously. How exaggeratory.

I found M's reasoning daft to begin with, there is NO logical reason for them going to SF without a full regiment of SAS around.

And the DB5 moment did a great job at keeping folks mind away from the sheer stupidity of M & 007's decision. ANd having the MI6 staff agreeing in such a endeavor makes you wonder about their insights and abilties to defend the realm. ;)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SaintMark wrote:
    And the DB5 moment did a great job at keeping folks mind away from the sheer stupidity of M & 007's decision. ANd having the MI6 staff agreeing in such a endeavor makes you wonder about their insights and abilties to defend the realm. ;)
    I SO agree with this assessment.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    When Bond remote controls that car over the edge, crashing down on the street below and through a window. For all he knows, there could be a whole kindergarten group walking past there, but he just has that wild smile on his face like a demented 8 y. o. For me, this is the worst scene in the entire film.
    Tee Hee going inside and not watching the alligators finish the job.

Yes, this always disturbed me:
    TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    When Bond remote controls that car over the edge, crashing down on the street below and through a window. For all he knows, there could be a whole kindergarten group walking past there, but he just has that wild smile on his face like a demented 8 y. o. For me, this is the worst scene in the entire film.

They thought they made a nifty scene like in Moonraker when the guy winds up in the mouth of an advertisement after falling out of the ambulance. No, it was witless.
    Applies to all villains? Revealing their master plans to 007 just before he escapes! :)) ;)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 172
    Whitaker TLD - Allowing Koskov back into his house after plane collision! Surely Koskov would have met Whitaker before going upstairs?.

He must have sneaked in without the guards seeing him. his bruises would have made Brad realise that Bond had already won and ruined his opium deal.

The Making Of The Living Daylights book had an interesting proposed screenplay before John Glen & co stuck with current one with more time given to Whitaker & his guard Sgt Stagg.

I always wished they had done the ending with harrier scene & Sgt Stagg being the one to kidnapp Kara back to Whitaker.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 1,405
    TOMORROW NEVER DIES

Always thought so. Good action scene, horrible ending. Bond never was so careless.
    Brosnan goes from Bond to Jack Bauer in a hearbeat, I wonder if Connery, Moore or Dalton would have agree to play that scene as scripted...

• Bond giving Mr White a loaded gun could have easily back fired, I struggle with that scene.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Bond giving Mr White a loaded gun could have easily back fired, I struggle with that scene.
    I agree, but he need a lead to Madeleine. Maybe he could have tried that interrogation one more time?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond not locking his bedroom door while at Zorin s mansion.
  • Bond giving Mr White a loaded gun could have easily back fired, I struggle with that scene.
    I agree, but he need a lead to Madeleine. Maybe he could have tried that interrogation one more time?
    It's definitely a plot device, familiarity with White because of previous films allow that scene to be accepted.

Off topic I don't want to psychoanalysize Bond, I want a good mission gr...

• Blofeld in YOLT: "Give him his cigarettes." For somebody who kills his subordinates for failure so often, Blofeld sure is cavalier about giving Bond exactly what he wants.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Rosie in LALD.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Sharkey in LTK deciding to help Bond on his mad and illegal mission of vengeance instead of just going fishing....
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Leaving Lupe at the end of LTK......Criminal.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The entirety of Skyfall has all the characters making all the bad decisions there are, as if everyone in the story was stoned.
    The entirety of Skyfall has all the characters making all the bad decisions there are, as if everyone in the story was stoned.

Moneypenny...................After she shot Bond she had plenty of time to shoot Patrice! But instead she freezes and watches him escape!!! Idiot!!
    Felix agreeing to go after Sanchez rather than get married at the beginning of LTK. Led to the death of his bride.
    Yeah.....the DEA can't be that understaffed!
    Might have been a bit more convincing if Felix had been less eager to go.

"Guys I'm just about to get married"
    "we've got the green light. It's now or never"
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Perhaps they should have emphasized how long they had been tracking Sanchez and that this was their only chance to get him.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Leaving Lupe at the end of LTK......Criminal.

Truly.
    Q plugging Silva's laptop into the MI6 Mainframe......DUH!!!!
    Sanchez hesitating when Bond asks him "if he wants to know why" When he should of just cleaved Bonds head in two and then checked the lighter inscription....
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    M: "Eve, I know you're a rookie agent, and Bond is tried-and-tested and has never let me down, but...TAKE THE BLOODY SHOT."
  • Moonraker.

This is a scene that is genuinely hilarious due to Moore but it's such a dumb scene too.

The scene where Drax and Bond are hunting and Bond takes out that assassin in the tree. Now knowing that they are both onto each other, why the hell does Drax let Bond leave? Why not shoot him on the spot? Especially since he has Corrine killed immediately after. What the hell?
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 462
    DB5 wrote: »
    The first one that comes to mind is Grant opening up the attache case to get the gold sovereigns in FRWL. I mean what's the rush, kill Bond first, if the coins are there they'll still be there after you shoot him.

I think by that point, it's well established that Grant was going to torture Bond. "It'll be slow and painful." This is probably one of the only moments where I would say it works - Grant enjoys the idea of Bond on his knees begging for his life.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    Moonraker.

This is a scene that is genuinely hilarious due to Moore but it's such a dumb scene too.

The scene where Drax and Bond are hunting and Bond takes out that assassin in the tree. Now knowing that they are both onto each other, why the hell does Drax let Bond leave? Why not shoot him on the spot? Especially since he has Corrine killed immediately after. What the hell?
    Maintaining formality. He couldn't have Bond killed in front of many witnesses and alas on his own property. He should let him get out of his sight and baseline, then go and report, so the MI-6 won't be instantly suspicious of him. And even though Bond knew, he didn't have proof. With Drax being a respected figure globally, without a proof, Bond couldn't have done a thing. It could have led to a political war and MI-6 would've been a laughing stock.

Perfectly reasonable scene.
  • CrzChris4 wrote: »
    Moonraker.

Maintaining formality. He couldn't have Bond killed in front of many witnesses and alas on his own property. He should let him get out of his sight and baseline, then go and report, so the MI-6 won't be instantly suspicious of him. And even though Bond knew, he didn't have proof. With Drax being a respected figure globally, without a proof, Bond couldn't have done a thing. It could have led to a political war and MI-6 would've been a laughing stock.

I still disagree - Goldfinger had no trouble offing Solo on his drive to the airport. Drax even says that his driver will get Bond to the airport with plenty of time. Plus, had Drax been successful with the original attempt, there would still be witnesses?
    Moonraker.

I still disagree - Goldfinger had no trouble offing Solo on his drive to the airport. Drax even says that his driver will get Bond to the airport with plenty of time. Plus, had Drax been successful with the original attempt, there would still be witnesses?
    Solo isn't a government agent and has no authority to do whatsoever to foil Goldfinger's plans, whereas Bond was kept around in the open to have those watchers believe there's no trouble in there. Neither the CIA, nor the MI-6 were aware of an anarchic scheme that is Operation Grandslam. Bond didn't report it, yet. Solo is just another outlaw of a gangster nobody would miss. For all anyone knew, he was in Kentucky.

Had Drax been successful with the first attempt, they would have covered it up with a slight misfortune as the cover story behind the would-be murder. Like I said, Bond didn't have proof and he couldn't have made a move. This aspect was later explored further in Venice. Just see how regretful and apologetic the Minister of Defense was...