Bad decisions made by characters in the Bond movie's.

edited April 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 6,432
Just watching the pre titles sequence in TWINE, Bond at this point is hanging from the hot air balloon shouting to cigar girl 'we can protect you' cigar girl reply's 'not from him' then proceeds to shoot a gas canister and gets blown to pieces and is... well frankly dead. Now that is to me a bad decision, was it not worth at least accepting Bond's offer, after all he work's for MI6, and they actually may be able to protect her and cigar girl will live a bit longer at least. Plus I would not say Renard lives upto the apparent fear instilled in her to be honest. Anyway, question is can you think of any bad decisions characters have made in Bond movie's when there was perhap's a better alternative to the choice the character made?

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    I think Lt Hips decision to drive away from Bond just before the boat chase was quite strange. I mean, why should he do that?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Driving off the cliff to chase the plane in GE. I know hes Bond but this recklessly dangerous course of action gave him about a 1% chance of survival.

I know spending years in a gulag would not be a great option but they wouldnt top a British agent and he'd probably be swapped for one of theirs in a few years. Surely a better decision to put his hands up and surrender than what he opted for?

Seems like even Bond knows not to push his luck as in DAD when he has the chance of a similar leap (actually a lot less risky than GE - not as high and into water and as Graves proved - survivable) he surrenders and allows himself to be captured. And I would say being captured by North Korea is a whole different ball game than the Russians who at least played by the rules of the cold war.
    MrBond wrote:
    I think Lt Hips decision to drive away from Bond just before the boat chase was quite strange. I mean, why should he do that?

Hahahahaha, I laugh so hard every time I see this. Just the expression on Hip's face when he drives away and watching Roger attempt to catch up to the car are enough to make me cry with laughter! Seriously though, this was either terrible script writing or a completely bone-headed move by idiotic Hip, who in my opinion, didn't do a single thing to help Bond in TMWTGG.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Haha, and the girls confused expression when they see Bond is left behind.
    A funny scene: yes. Unlogic: Yes.
    As for my own bad decisions thought, here are several:
    -Xenia keeping her rappel cord on her back during her tussel with Bond in the jungle
    -Jaws telling his fellow thug to speed up the cable car on Sugarloaf Mountain (played for laughs, yes, but wow, completely idiotic)
    -Bert Saxby popping his head out of cover when he knew that CIA agents were shooting at him
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Stacey Sutton not 'getting down' when Bond is running toward her yelling at her to do so.
    After all they've been through, you'd have thought she would listen to him by now.
    Instead she continues running, shouting 'JAMES...JAMES' as an airship the size of a house sneaks up beside her!
    Benny wrote:
    Stacey Sutton not 'getting down' when Bond is running toward her yelling at her to do so.
    After all they've been through, you'd have thought she would listen to him by now.
    Instead she continues running, shouting 'JAMES...JAMES' as an airship the size of a house sneaks up beside her!

I've actually read somewhere about this particular contraversial scene. The writer made a fantastic point that when the bomb went off because May Day sacrificed herself, and we see a shot of Stacey falling down when it blows, it could be that the sound of the bomb partially deafened Stacey or impaired her hearing greatly, and thus she couldn't necessarily understand what Bond was yelling to her. Also, combine that with the sheer sound of the airship behind her, and you've got twice the noise. Still, I agree that this was very poorly executed and leaves us to overthink this scene.
    Interesting theory about being partially deafened by the bomb- but I believe she's just an idiot
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, every bad guy in the series makes the mistake of blurting out their plans at some point.

Then there's Trevelyn, who stupidly believes that because he knows Bond as well as Bond himself does, he can predict everything he's going to do. ("Hmm... 007 came in here with a pen? Well, it's clearly just a pen. Q doesn't build gadgets in things as small as pens. What else could it be other than a pen? WTF, it's an explosive?!")

Stamper choosing to stand behind the missile, knowing that it's going to launch in, like, a minute. Dumbass.

I don't see one bit of intelligence in flying a plane towards the giant laser you have destroying the 38th parallel, and this is before Jinx makes it turn that way. Did Gustav Graves have an IQ of 23? Really, he engineers this big plot of somehow faking his death (granted, it was damned convincing), then becoming a British billionaire, then building a satellite to use as a laser to take back his homeland, and then he tells the pilots to fly the plane in the direction of the laser?
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Corinne Dufour running into the forest to get away from Drax's doberman pinschers.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Kronsteen should have been less arrogant.
    Oddjob locking the vault.
    Lt Hip fleeing the scene.
    Bond crawling into May Day's bed.
    Sanchez trusting outsiders (Bond).
  • DB5DB5
    The first one that comes to mind is Grant opening up the attache case to get the gold sovereigns in FRWL. I mean what's the rush, kill Bond first, if the coins are there they'll still be there after you shoot him. The second is GF shutting the laser off on Bond and taking him along to Kentucky. he's about to be cut in half, and you make him a houseguest!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Agent007, I believe Stamper is on the missile because he is trying to kill Bond, and, topped with the fact that everyone else is dead and he is unaware that Bond is going to hit the latch that traps him in with the missile. After that, there is nothing he can do, so he attempts to keep Bond with him to die, as well.
  • Oddjob's final fight scene. He is fighting Bond even though he will die as well. Then, he goes and gets his hat when he pratically has Bond up againist the ropes.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2012 Posts: 4,399
    00Beast wrote:
    Benny wrote:

I've actually read somewhere about this particular contraversial scene. The writer made a fantastic point that when the bomb went off because May Day sacrificed herself, and we see a shot of Stacey falling down when it blows, it could be that the sound of the bomb partially deafened Stacey or impaired her hearing greatly, and thus she couldn't necessarily understand what Bond was yelling to her. Also, combine that with the sheer sound of the airship behind her, and you've got twice the noise. Still, I agree that this was very poorly executed and leaves us to overthink this scene.

thats a lot to leave up to the audience to figure out on their own.... i think he's just reaching for an explanation... the real reason - bad writing..... and Stacey was annoying anyway.... but i'm glad someone mentioned AVTAK in this thread - because there is a decision made (or lack thereof) that always annoys me..... but - before i get to that, here is mine...

in Goldfinger, Bond telling Telly to run for it, after he's stopped the Aston... the car is pretty impervious to gunfire - why not tell her to stay in the car, or at least behind him... telling her to run - even in a forest, leaves her an easy and open target to gunfire - or, as we saw, a flying hat..... but also, Bond leaves his cover to go check on her.. WTF? - not only was that dumb, but why did they stop shooting at Bond?!?!.. never understood the decision making process in this scene....... and later, Bond tries to escape in his Aston, by driving around a factory... smart move......... this is the Bond movie i feel he's the most inept (as i've said before)..

in A View To A Kill, at the end, when Scarpine and Dr Mortner fight over a lit stick of dynamite...... what is there to fight over??? let the crazy old bat throw it for godsake - but no, instead they fight over it, like 2 little brats fighting over who gets to hold a sparkler.... as dumb as Stacey getting snuck up on by a blimp is - this is right up there as well.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 7,653
    Corinne Dufour running into the forest to get away from Drax's doberman pinschers.

She was dead anyhow, the pinchers would hav been quicker than say the golfcart. The bad decision was aiding 007 to begin with.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 14,872
    00Beast wrote:
    Benny wrote:

But then for this to hold some weight, would Bond not also be deafened by the bomb blast?
    Afterall, he was much closer than Stacey.
    Bad writing.

Got to agree with this comment from @haserot

in A View To A Kill, at the end, when Scarpine and Dr Mortner fight over a lit stick of dynamite...... what is there to fight over??? let the crazy old bat throw it for godsake - but no, instead they fight over it, like 2 little brats fighting over who gets to hold a sparkler.... as dumb as Stacey getting snuck up on by a blimp is - this is right up there as well.

Again sloppy writing in order to get rid of all the villains. Makes no sense whatsoever.
    TWINE, Cigar girl, again.

After Sir. King explodes, why is she pointing a machine gun at the hole blown in MI6. Was she expecting Bond to show up or something? She could easily have escaped after confirming Sir. King's death, had a nice lunch, gone sun-tanning, and maybe even enjoyed a nap for a couple hours.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Agent007, I believe Stamper is on the missile because he is trying to kill Bond, and, topped with the fact that everyone else is dead and he is unaware that Bond is going to hit the latch that traps him in with the missile. After that, there is nothing he can do, so he attempts to keep Bond with him to die, as well.

He should have been standing on top of the missile, not behind it.
    bond spending any amount of time with Mary goodnight, goodnights incompetence drives way too much of the plot, she is a disaster waiting to happen.
    But... she's hot.
    Kerim wrote:
    Kronsteen should have been less arrogant.
    Oddjob locking the vault.
    Lt Hip fleeing the scene.
    Bond crawling into May Day's bed.
    Sanchez trusting outsiders (Bond).

At one point does Oddjob lock the vault?

Yes he's loyal to the end and it's strange he doesnt seem bothered about dying but he didn't go as far ad engineering his own death.
  • Driving off the cliff to chase the plane in GE. I know hes Bond but this recklessly dangerous course of action gave him about a 1% chance of survival.

I know spending years in a gulag would not be a great option but they wouldnt top a British agent and he'd probably be swapped for one of theirs in a few years. Surely a better decision to put his hands up and surrender than what he opted for?

Seems like even Bond knows not to push his luck as in DAD when he has the chance of a similar leap (actually a lot less risky than GE - not as high and into water and as Graves proved - survivable) he surrenders and allows himself to be captured. And I would say being captured by North Korea is a whole different ball game than the Russians who at least played by the rules of the cold war.

To be fair, Bond was about to blow years of stockpiling and research to hell, murdering dozens in the process. His capture would have only resulted in execution and probably world war three. In DAD, however, he definitely should have jumped the waterfall. Graves came out of it OK.
    But... she's hot.

was even hotter in wickerman, though she likely to sit on a button that will blow you to pieces lol
    [quote=Bond crawling into May Day's bed.[/quote]

I suspect Rog must have given John Glen and the writer an earfull before this stunt was filmed.

In Spy, the Egyptian woman falling for Bond's charm knowing Sandor was about to try to knock him off.

Also, every villain who didn't simply shoot Bond dead when they had him cornered or tied up, made a monumental bad decision. Maybe the next Bond movie should be titled: "You Only Live 24 Times".
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    But... she's hot.

was even hotter in wickerman, though she likely to sit on a button that will blow you to pieces lol

oh god yes she was =P~.................................. excuse me for a few moments.
  • SmithersSmithers Bandit Country
    Every baddie who has captured Bond seems to fail to kill him when they have the chance.

Let's be honest, if you are a power crazed meglomaniac who is hell bent on world domination then just kill him when you have the chance, don't try and think of a special way for him to die in which he will invariably escape - oh and one other thing, don't let your ego get the better of you and feel you need to tell him all your plans, because from that moment on they will of course fail.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 9,117
    In DAD, however, he definitely should have jumped the waterfall.

Instead he jumped the shark.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,189
    In DAD, however, he definitely should have jumped the waterfall.

Instead he jumped the shark.

To quote a Youtube comment:

Fonzie jumped the shark, Bond rode the wave.