DAD is Brosnan's MR (EDIT : Now including TB,SP) all the 4th film for each actor.

Comments

Although not as fantastical as MR or DAD ,does anyone think that SP is Craig's 'Moonraker' ?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Although not as fantastical as MR or DAD ,does anyone think that SP is Craig's 'Moonraker' ?

No.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Depends. Moonraker went overboard with the jokes and used a visual gag to punctuate every action sequence. Die Another Day pushed the boat out with too much state of the art CGI (yes, ok I'm kidding). In each case the series took a dramatic U turn to bring Bond back to Earth.

If Eon decide they have gone as far as they can with the Bond back story idea and want B25 to go back to basics, then it could possibly be Craig's Moonraker.
    I thought it was supposed to be his 'Thunderball'...
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    hmmm Moonraker is a cult classic in my opinion. The space fight is unique and famous.

DAD is just silly and really bad in the end.

To compare them is almost mean.
    barryt007 wrote:
    Watching DAD tonight i feel that this,also being his 4th film,is the fantastical film of his tenure,but is it any worse than Moore's Moonraker ?
    Both were their 4th films but it looks like Brosnan got the shit end of the stick in a much less fantastical film.
    comments ?

First of all, I don't regard "Moonraker" as Moore's worst. I feel that honor should go to "The Man With the Golden Gun". The 1979 movie was fine, until the setting shifted to outer space and that's in the last 30 minutes or so.

I don't regard "Die Another Day" as Brosnan worst. Aside from the invisible car in Iceland and some of the dialogue, I don't have a problem with the film. For me, the Bond-by-the-numbers movie, "Tomorrow Never Dies", was his worst.

This is nonsense. DAF is way better than either MR or DAD. This is an absolute FACT (IMHO)!

I believe this is merely your opinion, not a fact. I feel that all of those movies are better than "Diamonds Are Forever", which is not only silly, but filled with a lot of plot holes.
    DAF, MR and DAD - the three worst Bond films (Eon ones anyway!)
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Cant argue with that..2 of them are #23 and #22 and the other is #21 on my list !!

tanaka123 wrote: »

MR in my humble opinion is a cultclassic and has so much too offer, has some of the most chilling moments of the franchise and has some OTT moments but on the whole the movie and the story work far better than Craigs last two outings which have a sillier plot and plotholes and the stuntwork done on MR is far better than anything the last three Craig outings has to offer. The Special effects are bloody brilliant and it needs no CGI to tell a fantasy story unlike Craigs last three that needs CGI to make it look good.

I think that generally the bad rep MR gets is simply by fan boys who fail to see how ell MR is made and feel the need to downplay Moore and his 007 version. Craig was never as good as Moore ever was. The man is a star without 007 and a gentleman. When 007 was a gentleman the franchise was in a far better shape.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Moonraker's not Bad. It's a really fun and enjoyable film if you watch it in the right mindset. If you're looking for a serious film then this isn't that. I didn't used to like Moonraker but the more I watched it the more it's grown on me. It's so fun to watch. It makes me smile every time I watch it. Reminds me of the 70's Buck Rogers series.

Diamonds Are Forever is weak and does look cheap at times but ever since I've started treating it as a direct sequel to YOLT and the film to come before OHMSS I enjoy it a lot more.

Die Another Day has a great first hour, Almost a modern From Russia With Love but then when the Gene Therapy and Icarus crap come into play and that Gustav Graves is really Colonel Moon from the beginning then that's where the film goes down hill for me. I do like the ice palace and car battle.

Spectre is pretty enjoyable. It has a few logical hiccups were the story is concerned and the music score is the worst in the franchise but aside from those flaws I can enjoy the film for what it is.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I disagree. That would be an insult to Ken Adam and John Barry
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »
    Moonraker's not Bad. It's a really fun and enjoyable film if you watch it in the right mindset.

Amen, brother
    weed.jpg
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    For me the soundtrack alone redeems MR from being one of the very worst Bond films.
  • GBFGBF
    Am I the only one who thinks that the space scenes are among the best in the MR? On the contrary, I find the whole Brazil section boring, silly and uninteresting. And the worst part is the Gondola nonsense. The space scenes with the great score, miniature models and sets are really epic... And even though it is a bit stupid it is at least exciting, partly suspensefull and not less unrealistic than Interstellar :-)
  • RC7RC7
    GBF wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that the space scenes are among the best in the MR? On the contrary, I find the whole Brazil section boring, silly and uninteresting. And the worst part is the Gondola nonsense. The space scenes with the great score, miniature models and sets are really epic... And even though it is a bit stupid it is at least exciting, partly suspensefull and not less unrealistic than Interstellar :-)

The space scenes are excellent. I always really enjoy the sequence involving the shuttles approaching and converging with the station. Coupled with the score it's genuinely epic. I'm also a big fan of the climax, as Bond and Holly chase down the globes. It's incredibly well directed and genuinely tense, especially when you place it next to, as you mention, the Gondola scene.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited January 2017 Posts: 299
    RC7 wrote: »
    The space scenes are excellent. I always really enjoy the sequence involving the shuttles approaching and converging with the station. Coupled with the score it's genuinely epic. I'm also a big fan of the climax, as Bond and Holly chase down the globes. It's incredibly well directed and genuinely tense, especially when you place it next to, as you mention, the Gondola scene.

Agreed, I love the moment as Bond poises to fire at the last globe with that great Barry music, classic moment.

• GBFGBF
    Good to see some other space lovers here :-) I admit that I think that they finally went a bit too far into Scifi territory but it certainly stands out as a unique exception in the frachise and I can really enjoy it.

The best part of the film is, however, the PTS and the first act until Corinne's death. There is great stuff such as the free fall, the introduction of Drax, the centrifuge scene, Bond killing the tree assassin and finally Corine's death.

Venice is a mixed bag, however, I enjoy the Chang fight; Bond spying in the laboratory and Drax ordering Jaws via this villain hotline which I thought was a funny idea.

Brazil is - despite some great shots of Rio - complete nonsense and poorly paced with some of the action just not put together very well. For instance the ambulance scene, the boat chase or the snake fight. Too much stuff is weirdly put together instead of building up to something.

Bond in space is a highlight again
    DAD is awful from start to finish. MR is actually really rather good IMO, although the Jaws stuff is cringeworthy. The space stuff is daft but nicely shot. For me it's a bid of a guilty pleasure. Far more watchable than any of the Brosnan entries.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote: »
    DAD is awful from start to finish. MR is actually really rather good IMO, although the Jaws stuff is cringeworthy. The space stuff is daft but nicely shot. For me it's a bid of a guilty pleasure. Far more watchable than any of the Brosnan entries.

+1.
    Moonraker may be shallow and daft but it is at the very least beautifully made
    I have to admit MR does have a 'classic' Bond film feel to it...and it was ALWAYS on at Xmas when i was a kid so it does have a nostalgic influence on me..

And the score is superb,Barry at his best.

I need to watch it again and see if i can shift it up from #23 on my list !!
  • LordBrettSinclairLordBrettSinclair Greensleeves
    edited January 2017 Posts: 167
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Moonraker may be shallow and daft but it is at the very least beautifully made

Very true. Lewis Gilbert is a proper director.
    His 'tonal' choices are awful though.....he thought Bond was a 'joke'.
    Did he ?
    Well I think Gilbert was an excellent director of comedy so no surprise his films play that element up.

YOLT and SPY are two of my favourites. MR less so but it has a lot of fantastic stuff in it - could have been a classic.
    I can see why some don't like Gilbert. He took the view of Bond being nothing more than fluff entertainment to the extreme. He and Roger were, in that sense, a perfect pairing.

As a result his three films often tend to come off as parodies rather than thrillers with wit.

But all three have a strong sense of class and feel genuinely cinematic.
  • GBFGBF
    They all have their stand out scenes. And the films are all very memorable, as are the characters and set pieces. I just don't like the pacing so very much and often the iconic scenes are not put together very well. I also find that Gilbert is great in opening and finishing a film but what is in between drags a little bit and the story is often not strong enough to deliver any suspense. Hence the second act in all of Gilbert's film is generally very tedious in my eyes. This is especially the case in YOLT and MR.
    Did he ?

In the MR DVD. He mentions that it's all a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously etc....
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 11,189
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Did he ?

In the MR DVD. He mentions that it's all a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously etc....

He is essentially right (Bond IS meant to be fun after all) but, as I said above, he took that attitude to the extreme. Just because Bond is intended to be entertainment, doesn't mean we can't take it at least a little bit seriously ("Believable people, believable heroes" and all that).