No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    Ritchie may not be worthless, he certainly has an audience, but he's done nothing approaching brilliance.

100% agree. Ritchie is a one trick pony.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Well, wouldn't the best way to catch on to more interesting filmmakers be by watching other films? I don't think that's a poke or prod. It's abrupt advice, sure, but it isn't not correct.

They weren't asking for advice, they were making a suggestion...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    bondsum wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    Honestly I loved Man from UNCLE, thought it was an extrnemely fun film with great characters and chemistry. If Ritchie can direct something like this, with a simpler straight-forward story, I think we could have a great Bond film. He even made the usually wooden Cavill shine.
    Yes, I thought Ritchie showed 007 movie potential, with his excellent work with Uncle
    And yes Cavill did show some range. The film had its own smart vibe and style, and I say this as an Uncle fan, who assumed we would be getting something very similar to the original run.
    I was pleasantly impressed.
    I thought he pulled good performances out of the two female leads too.
    @timmer, you're a very nice person, and I admire your enthusiasm for all things UNCLE, but there's no way in hell that Guy Richie should be let near a Bond movie. I shudder at the thought of Richie using the same box of tricks he uses in every movie and imposing them on a Bond picture. The guy (no pun intended) can't help himself, just take a look at his latest trashy film King Arfur: Geezer of Old Londinium to see that he is a director of limited talent. And Richie's UNCLE is still terrible, just awful, despite the uncultured denizens here that think otherwise.

Liking Man from UNCLE depends on your type of humour. It either appeals to you or it doesn't.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Ritchie may not be worthless, he certainly has an audience, but he's done nothing approaching brilliance.

Same as Martin Campbell pre-Goldeneye, or Craig pre-CR (imo). People of brilliance (Mendes) can still deliver sub-par films as we've seen.
    I would take Richie over Mendes part 3 any day of the week
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Risico007 wrote: »

Yes, and I don't even particularly like Ritchie's style of filmmaking.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would trust the opinion of someone who works in the film industry and knows the craft.

Someone like Zack Snyder? Wholeheartedly agree.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The issue with Uncle wasn't only Ritchie imho. It was Cavill and Hammer. It felt to me like they were 'hamming' it up rather than actually inhabiting the characters. Typical of these two.They were like caricatures of the real deal. I feel the same way about the entire new Star Trek team.

Thank goodness 'most' Bond actors choose to bring their own spin to the beloved character rather than recycling what someone else did better before.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 25
    Risico007 wrote: »

Uncle was an interesting one. I had absolutely zero expectations. In fact, if anything, I expected to hate it.

Sadly, and I hate to say it, I enjoyed it far more than SPECTRE.

There were some great moments. Great pacing. Atmosphere, wardrobe and art direction were spot on. Great sequences and some sly humour (Cavill tucking into the gourmet picnic basket and enjoying a fine wine as Hammer gets his arse kicked). Cool soundtrack too.

Sure, it was a little campy (intentionally so). But you know what? I walked out of the theatre having ENJOYED the experience.

I walked into the cinema expecting to love SPECTRE. I walked out feeling completely disappointed.

The writing in SPECTRE is absolutely atrocious.

For christ sake's - how could they possibly waste Christoph Waltz so horribly? Now there's an actor that can handle dialogue. Just watch him in the opening 20 minutes of Inglorious Basterds. A masterclass in screen magnetism. With the right script, the man can make magic.

In fact, it would be interesting to see Tarantino write a Bond script. His ability to craft tension, subtext and powerplay into dialogue is unsurpassed. I'm suprised so many people hate the idea of him having anything to do with Bond on this forum... though some people would love to see Aiden Turner take the role (vomit)... so there's no accounting for taste...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    And what is wrong with repeating what others have done before? Seriously. What's the issue with that? It's not like the James Bond role is a lizard-like camouflage adjusted invisibility that any actor could play the way he likes. Obviously some are treating it like it's an identity given to anyone and not a character with boundaries and principles.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    554 new posts in one single month.

Ok...

Still no news and there won't be any soon. 2018 is highly unrealistic.

As for a possible release date summer 2019. I think it is not that important what the competition is but what Bond 25 will have cost.

Bond 25 must scale back on the cost.
    That's imperative.
    If they have a budget of 150 million all things considered (tax-cuts, sponsoring, marketing costs etc) then Bond 25 will be a huge financial success, that is pretty much guaranteed. If it makes 650 million which is set in stone obviously that's a whopping raise in ROI compared to the last 4 films. Imagine it would make another 850 million...

Less is more, EON is caught in the dangerous spiral of making every new film even more expensive as they error in thinking "bigger=better".

If the director, the cast and the script are good or even brilliant, it will be another classic for the ages even if the budget was only 150 million.
    And what is wrong with repeating what others have done before? Seriously. What's the issue with that? It's not like the James Bond role is a lizard-like camouflage adjusted invisibility that any actor could play the way he likes. Obviously some are treating it like it's an identity given to anyone and not a character with boundaries and principles.
    Conceptually there's nothing wrong with it. The trick is to make it look like it emanates from within, and not like one is 'acting'. That takes a considerable amount of skill (far more than many realize I'd surmise) given the Bond role is somewhat 'defined', but it also requires a good script. They are both necessary in my view. I'd prefer an actor to be authentic and true to himself if he can't pull it off convincingly without making it look like a caricature, and that's something he would need some humility to properly determine.

I have yet to see Cavill show me once that he can do that. I was a huge proponent of his prior to Craig's casting, but I now realize that Babs made the right call, reportedly disagreeing with both Campbell & Wilson.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    Do we really have to come back to the Ritchie suggestion every couple weeks? I think all the arguments for and, most importantly, against him have already been mentioned.

As for @Gustav_Graves 's fantasy of a Formula 1 setting, here are my two cents.
    I can see it in terms of a depiction of a cultural event, which serves as a background setting for something in the plot. To make it less abstract: something like the sumo wrestling in YOLT, Nic Nac's peanut scene in TMWTGG or, briefly, the horse race in Siena in QOS. Or, to keep it relevant and up to date, perhaps a terrorist attack at, let's say, the famous Monaco or Abu Dhabi race circuits. I can't possibly imagine a full Formula One themed Bond movie, because the subject seems way too niche.
  • TigerTigerTigerTiger Stateside
    00Ralf wrote: »
    I can't possibly imagine a full Formula One themed Bond movie, because the subject seems way too niche.

I think too often we forget that Bond is a sportingman. In almost every Fleming book, Bond has an interest in sport and plays a game - cards, golf, horse racing, you name it. That has been forgotten once they ran out of Fleming books, or after Albert Broccoli died. The films since then have focused just on action and espionage... and have forgot to include a taste of sports and gambling, the thrill of the win, the ruffle of the cards, the thrill of a winning bet.

So why not bring back some sports focus. Now Bond is a unique lone wolf and would not play a team sport like rugby. So that limits us to solitary pursuits... and motor racing is one of them.

Particularly in the books Bond is a lover of cars and has plenty of spare cash to splash around on fixing them up. Maybe not Formula 1, but Bond could compete in a classic car rally for his own pleasure... but of course he stumbles into some intrigue on the track in true Bondian fashion...

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I really think Micheal Apted would be great choice.
  • TigerTigerTigerTiger Stateside
    Is Matthew Vaughan off the table completely? He and Craig have history... but is he persona non grata with the Broccolis?

For what?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,187
    Stunt Coor
    mcdonbb wrote: »

For what?

Stunt Coordinator?

Stunt Coor
    mcdonbb wrote: »

For what?

Stunt Coordinator?

:-? ...maybe.

I'm just kidding. I actually like Apted but not so much his Bond effort.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,622
    bondsum wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    Honestly I loved Man from UNCLE, thought it was an extrnemely fun film with great characters and chemistry. If Ritchie can direct something like this, with a simpler straight-forward story, I think we could have a great Bond film. He even made the usually wooden Cavill shine.
    Yes, I thought Ritchie showed 007 movie potential, with his excellent work with Uncle
    And yes Cavill did show some range. The film had its own smart vibe and style, and I say this as an Uncle fan, who assumed we would be getting something very similar to the original run.
    I was pleasantly impressed.
    I thought he pulled good performances out of the two female leads too.
    @timmer, you're a very nice person, and I admire your enthusiasm for all things UNCLE, but there's no way in hell that Guy Richie should be let near a Bond movie. I shudder at the thought of Richie using the same box of tricks he uses in every movie and imposing them on a Bond picture. The guy (no pun intended) can't help himself, just take a look at his latest trashy film King Arfur: Geezer of Old Londinium to see that he is a director of limited talent. And Richie's UNCLE is still terrible, just awful, despite the uncultured denizens here that think otherwise.

Spot on. You need to go and watch more films if Ritchie is the height of your ambition. A lot more films.
    @verynicepersons ;) hmmm. Well, lack of Ritchie enthusiasm noted.
    Call me a fan of the Uncle movie then. Ritchie gets props for that.
    As for who is to direct the next Bond film, colour me uninvested actually.
    My inclination to declare a good Bond director really doesn't manifest until the director has got one film under his belt.
    So in that spirit I nominate Ritchie for Uncle Part 2. He crafted I think, a smart, fresh take on the iconic tv-movie series.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Pushee wrote: »

In fact, it would be interesting to see Tarantino write a Bond script. His ability to craft tension, subtext and powerplay into dialogue is unsurpassed. I'm suprised so many people hate the idea of him having anything to do with Bond on this forum... though some people would love to see Aiden Turner take the role (vomit)... so there's no accounting for taste...

I think the main problem people have with Tarantino is the man's own ego. His ideas and style would clash with Eon's principles (Yes I've set you up for a good jibe at Eon there, be my guest). As a director he wouldn't want to work to the expected deadlines.

His behaviour is erratic and he could easily pull out of the movie at the 11th hour.

He would probably insist on 'Quentin Tarantino's **th Film'.

And, as a writer would he really give us a great Bond film just because he can deliver 20 minute scenes of pulsating dialogue? He writes well for street wise American characters, but Bond is a different kettle of fish. And an audience expects different things from a Bond film than a Tarantino film.

Also, his movie tricks are starting to become predictable. You may say (and you have) that they have been re-making the same Bond films for 50 years. Well Tarantino has started to remake his own films as well.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Tarantino made his name remaking genre films, it was only a matter of time until he got to remaking his own. I love the bastard, though. :))
    I would give a lot just to see 5 minutes of Tarantino style repartee in a Bond film scene. No doubt it would make the whole thing come alive and become a pivotal scene. I certainly think that with someone like Waltz, EON and Co. should have allowed him to raise his game in the scenes with Bond. He could have done it without seeming like 'Landa redux', as he proved in Django Unchained.

The control room and MI6 finale 'one on one' with Bond were lacking the sort of spark that characterized the Bardem/Bond opening scene (and that one could have easily been from Tarantino).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    I would give a lot just to see 5 minutes of Tarantino style repartee in a Bond film scene. No doubt it would make the whole thing come alive and become a pivotal scene. I certainly think that with someone like Waltz, EON and Co. should have allowed him to raise his game in the scenes with Bond. He could have done it without seeming like 'Landa redux', as he proved in Django Unchained.

The control room and MI6 finale 'one on one' with Bond were lacking the sort of spark that characterized the Bardem/Bond opening scene (and that one could have easily been from Tarantino).

I 100% agree with this. Tarantino knows how to create and frame a scene bursting with energy, whether it be quiet or explosive; the man knows how to create a scene.

The basement scene in IB, the dinner scene in D'Jango, the majority of every character interaction in the hateful 8, the apartment scene between Jules and Brad in PF and pretty much everything in RD is more than enough proof that he could give a Bond movie the best and most memorable scenes in the series. Just imagine his take on the SP meeting scene and the control room/torture scenes. Heaven help EoN if Tarantino comes out with his own spy film.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Pixie Lott reveals dream to hit the 007 double to star and sing
    dailystar.co.uk/movies/574789/next-james-bond-girl-pixie-lott-dream-star-and-sing-daniel-craig

I can't see her being either, but it is an interesting prospect. Personally, I think starring in and singing the theme is a bit of overkill. But maybe there is someone out there who could nail both.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And to think in my teenage years I used to dream of her being a Bond Girl. Haha! Circle of life...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Ner name is essentially a Bond girl name, so we're half way there.
    Absolutely agree @bondjames and with the caliber of talent involved I do not understand why not.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bloody hell, I just watched Noel Clark's Brotherhood at long last and the chick who played the Turkish girl Bond sleeps with in SF had a significant enough and very revealing role in the film (male audiences were not disappointed). She's 29 and her role in SF was so minute she could come back as a leading Bond girl or a love interest with a larger role. I'd be in full support of that.

It got me thinking and I am absolutely certain that I don't Mendes back ever again. He wastes Bond girls (love interests) like no other. Turkish girl was wasted; Severine was wasted, Estrella...wasted; Madeline horribly used and yes, wasted...Monica freakin' Bellucci; wasted!

If Mendes does return my heart will sink. It wouldn't even matter who the Bond girl is, she'd be, that's right, wasted.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Tonia Sotiropoulou is someone I'd love to make a larger, more prominent return. I would welcome Tarantino as well.