No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Cavill would be a great Superman if given the scripts to work with. In time, hopefully that comes his way, as Man of Steel showed his promise. He has all he needs to be a strong modern Kal-El.
    +1
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Cavill would be a great Superman if given the scripts to work with. In time, hopefully that comes his way, as Man of Steel showed his promise. He has all he needs to be a strong modern Kal-El.
    +1

+2

He showed plenty of heart in Man Of Steel. The heart was still there in his performance in BvS, but he was twisted far too much out of shape.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    News round-up for December, 2016:

December 2016
    ->Sam Mendes' next film The Voyeur's Motel is dropped, prompting unlikely speculation that he indeed may helm a third Bond film
    ->Norwegian tabloid Dagbladet claims that Craig has part ways with 007 and lists Norway as a possible location for B25 after being abandoned for Spectre due to infeasible costs. Similar complications arose for other franchises due to Norway lacking in incentives for film studios, making it unlikely that Bond will shoot in the country in the foreseeable future
    ->A source tells gossip site Page Six that Barbara Broccoli's offer to produce Othello is a ruse to entice Craig to make his swan song, and that he'd need a hiatus of a few years to focus on more 'serious' roles before making a comeback
    ->EON Productions are among film executives on a promotional tour hosted by the Abu Dhabi Film Commision, and may consider featuring the Emirate capital as a B25 location
    -> A Reddit user, who previously touted Steven Knight as having writing duties on B25, claims that Purvis, Wade, and Knight had developed a treatment which was later rejected
    ->The same user also claims that Mendes, who's next film Beautiful Ruins is set to commence 2017, has come up with an idea with the backing of Craig and that EON had met with numerous directors including Colin Trevorrow (who's schedule is clogged until 2019 due to Star Wars)

Has 2016 been uneventful or what?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, it has been an uneventful year in the end. Like, really, not a lot happened. Which is why I am hopeful for, but not expecting, a sudden explosion of activity in the early part of next/this year. Personally, I think we've hit another bump in the road for this franchise. Everything will be thrown in the air for a bit, rumours flying all around, and then in another year or so the dust will settle, and a new era will be birthed from the ashes. One that accounts for the current cultural and political paradigm shift, and reconnects to the public consciousness. Looking back, we really should have seen this coming soon. SPECTRE did have a slight "going through the motions" quality, like it had lost touch just a bit.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah it has been a quiet year although personally I am not surprised. I'm also not as fussed by the delay as long as the resulting outcomes are concrete and allow the franchise to breathe for another 20 years rather than be a temporary bandaid.

Of course, my birthday is in two weeks, and nothing would be better than to hear some definitive words from Craig to ease us into the New Year and give us a bit of buzz to tide us over for the next few months.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    jake24 wrote: »
    News round-up for December, 2016:

December 2016
    ->Sam Mendes' next film The Voyeur's Motel is dropped, prompting unlikely speculation that he indeed may helm a third Bond film
    ->Norwegian tabloid Dagbladet claims that Craig has part ways with 007 and lists Norway as a possible location for B25 after being abandoned for Spectre due to infeasible costs. Similar complications arose for other franchises due to Norway lacking in incentives for film studios, making it unlikely that Bond will shoot in the country in the foreseeable future
    ->A source tells gossip site Page Six that Barbara Broccoli's offer to produce Othello is a ruse to entice Craig to make his swan song, and that he'd need a hiatus of a few years to focus on more 'serious' roles before making a comeback
    ->EON Productions are among film executives on a promotional tour hosted by the Abu Dhabi Film Commision, and may consider featuring the Emirate capital as a B25 location
    -> A Reddit user, who previously touted Steven Knight as having writing duties on B25, claims that Purvis, Wade, and Knight had developed a treatment which was later rejected
    ->The same user also claims that Mendes, who's next film Beautiful Ruins is set to commence 2017, has come up with an idea with the backing of Craig and that EON had met with numerous directors including Colin Trevorrow (who's schedule is clogged until 2019 due to Star Wars)

Has 2016 been uneventful or what?

Definitely 2016 was dead 2017 we will at least get something they have waited long enough time for 007 to get back to work
    @jake24
    Good news summary. My Mendes question is answered in first blurb
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @timmer Cheers. The full, updated timeline is always available on page 1.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yup I enjoyed uncle, but Cavill was dire, as usual. Can't believe campbell ever thought he was better than Craig.

I thought he was pretty good in that, actually. He seemed far more comfortable in that role than he did as the emo-Superman. Pretty good comic timing and a nice air of prickery/snobbery about him.
    I definitely agree. I don't like him as Superman and I also thought he was dire in it. But, the way he was given to characterize Napoleon Solo and take nothing seriously in return, raising an eyebrow in the face of danger and skirt the issue with a sarcastic smirk is exactly why I'd like Cavill to play Bond. Just like the way he played Solo. But, the obvious choices in Hollywood are never to be, I guess. They'll always go for someone who hasn't had a role in the past similar to what's he chosen to play now... I mean... nobody was expecting Daniel Craig to play Bond. Nobody was expecting Heath Ledger to play The Joker. Nobody was expecting Ben Affleck to play Batman. But, they happened, didn't they?

Have to politely disagree. The problem with Cavill is he has no on screen charisma. It's like watching a block of wood.

He is even worse than Brosnan in that respect.
    jake24 wrote: »
    @timmer Cheers. The full, updated timeline is always available on page 1.

Ah yes of course. Front Page. Thanks

Seek and ye shall find.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Here's an article from the French press that I translated:

Daniel Craig made himself desired. After confirming, contrary to expectations, that he would play a fifth time James Bond, the English actor no longer gives any news to Eon, the historical production company of the saga, created in 1961 by Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli .
    According to the British site Sunday Express, this silence could translate again his indecision to embark in a fifth adventure of the most famous secret agent of the planet. And he would have the gift of panicking Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, those responsible for the 25th mission of 007 scheduled on the screens in October 2018.
    Since the Metro Goldwyn Mayer pharaonic offer in October - the figure of $ 150 million was raised - the problem of Craig's estate seemed closed. Callum McDougall, executive director of the last four Bond, to keep the British actor was believed to have silenced all the rumors of the star's departure.
    Meanwhile, Daniel Craig, who obviously has all the cards in his hand, plays the Arlesienne or the indifferent handsome, turned entirely to the new film of the popular French-Turkish filmmaker Deniz Gamze Ergüven, doubly Caesarized in 2016 for Mustang.
    With a lot of pride, the producers of Kings, the second feature of this young and talented 38-year-old director, announced that Daniel Craig and Halle Berry - a memorable ex-James Bond girl (Die Another Day) Headliners of this film.
    The scenario describes the life of a family in a neighborhood of Los Angeles a few weeks before the riots that set fire to the city in 1992 after the controversial verdict of the Rodney King affair. The shooting will last eight weeks and will start at the end of December 2016.
    In all likelihood, Eon Productions and the MGM will have to wait until the end of February to hear from his fetish actor. To this wife, it will no doubt know which filmmaker will succeed Sam Mendes. Unlike the pretenders to the Daniel Craig estate, those to replace the British director do not seem to jostle at the gate ...
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I say wait till the end of February and if there's nothing Craig is out.
  • JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN... "JOSTLE AT THE GATE"

(Though I must admit, "Pharaonic Offer" is a very tempting title as well.)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I say wait till the end of February and if there's nothing Craig is out.

Based on what?
    We got little to no news for the whole of 2016, so I don't see why Craig will be out if we get nothing before February.

timmer wrote: »
    Honestly I loved Man from UNCLE, thought it was an extrnemely fun film with great characters and chemistry. If Ritchie can direct something like this, with a simpler straight-forward story, I think we could have a great Bond film. He even made the usually wooden Cavill shine.
    Yes, I thought Ritchie showed 007 movie potential, with his excellent work with Uncle
    And yes Cavill did show some range. The film had its own smart vibe and style, and I say this as an Uncle fan, who assumed we would be getting something very similar to the original run.
    I was pleasantly impressed.
    I thought he pulled good performances out of the two female leads too.
    @timmer, you're a very nice person, and I admire your enthusiasm for all things UNCLE, but there's no way in hell that Guy Richie should be let near a Bond movie. I shudder at the thought of Richie using the same box of tricks he uses in every movie and imposing them on a Bond picture. The guy (no pun intended) can't help himself, just take a look at his latest trashy film King Arfur: Geezer of Old Londinium to see that he is a director of limited talent. And Richie's UNCLE is still terrible, just awful, despite the uncultured denizens here that think otherwise.
    "Uncultured denizens". ;)

It's a two way road, fella.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Ritchie's greatest accomplishment bar none was getting Madonna to marry him. Otherwise he'd be a deserved has-been.
  • RC7RC7
    bondsum wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    Honestly I loved Man from UNCLE, thought it was an extrnemely fun film with great characters and chemistry. If Ritchie can direct something like this, with a simpler straight-forward story, I think we could have a great Bond film. He even made the usually wooden Cavill shine.
    Yes, I thought Ritchie showed 007 movie potential, with his excellent work with Uncle
    And yes Cavill did show some range. The film had its own smart vibe and style, and I say this as an Uncle fan, who assumed we would be getting something very similar to the original run.
    I was pleasantly impressed.
    I thought he pulled good performances out of the two female leads too.
    @timmer, you're a very nice person, and I admire your enthusiasm for all things UNCLE, but there's no way in hell that Guy Richie should be let near a Bond movie. I shudder at the thought of Richie using the same box of tricks he uses in every movie and imposing them on a Bond picture. The guy (no pun intended) can't help himself, just take a look at his latest trashy film King Arfur: Geezer of Old Londinium to see that he is a director of limited talent. And Richie's UNCLE is still terrible, just awful, despite the uncultured denizens here that think otherwise.

Spot on. You need to go and watch more films if Ritchie is the height of your ambition. A lot more films.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    (:| ~O) ...remember you must always agree regardless of your pathetic opinion.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Yes, that gets annoying doesn't it? Some people just constantly talking down to others, like their opinions mean more, like art is a science and not subjective.
    The mentality of some people here.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,512
    If you're going to seriously promote Ritchie as a viable candidate you have to be prepared to take the ensuing flak.
    I wouldn't want Ritchie to direct a Bond film for the same reason I don't want Quentin Tarantino to pick up on it. Because both have different styles that doesn't suit the franchise in the slightest. But, to say Ritchie is an untalented worthless hack of a director with bad films? That's what I find utterly laughable in the most humiliating way possible.
  • RC7RC7
    Ritchie may not be worthless, he certainly has an audience, but he's done nothing approaching brilliance.
    Agreed that he hasn't done anything approaching brilliance that screams critically acclaimed material. But, almost every iconic film he's made is utterly entertaining and all have some sort of cult status following, from Snatch, to Lock, Stock, and the Sherlock Holmes films have a very strong fandom following. Russia, every time someone mentions UNCLE, goes crazy as they all love it. He may not be a Christopher Nolan or Denis Villeneuve, but he makes some greatly entertaining films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Yes, that gets annoying doesn't it? Some people just constantly talking down to others, like their opinions mean more, like art is a science and not subjective.

To be fair, art is a science of a sort. There are certain "laws" one must follow as a creator of art, with an understanding of things like space, color, lighting, composition, value and more, in addition to having a handle on how various forms have developed through the centuries and impacted the world. Each area of practice, from drawing/painting to writing and especially filmmaking requires you to know your craft in its every part to truly be excellent at it. Of course having opinions on the art being made is subjective, but that's not the same thing as what I'm describing.

This is all part of why, when it comes to film criticism, I would trust the opinion of someone who works in the film industry and knows the craft, as I believe @RC7 does, than someone who hasn't/doesn't, and may be ignorant of what is demanded by the art form. It's the same reason you wouldn't trust an accountant to work on your shoddy plumbing, or a demolitions expert to weather-proof your home.

People that have certain skill sets and viewpoints attained and forged by sheer experience in a particular discipline automatically makes them a far more reliable and rich source of opinion on that discipline than those who lack that.
    Yes but my accountant doesn't belittle the rest of the world for not being accountants.

If one trained in the art of film and/or film critique has a certain opinion about Ritchie or whomever then I'd they critique the filmmaker not the audience.

edited January 2017 Posts: 8,113

To be fair, art is a science of a sort. There are certain "laws" one must follow as a creator of art, with an understanding of things like space, color, lighting, composition, value and more, in addition to having a handle on how various forms have developed through the centuries and impacted the world. Each area of practice, from drawing/painting to writing and especially filmmaking requires you to know your craft in its every part to truly be excellent at it. Of course having opinions on the art being made is subjective, but that's not the same thing as what I'm describing.

This is all part of why, when it comes to film criticism, I would trust the opinion of someone who works in the film industry and knows the craft, as I believe @RC7 does, than someone who hasn't/doesn't, and may be ignorant of what is demanded by the art form. It's the same reason you wouldn't trust an accountant to work on your shoddy plumbing, or a demolitions expert to weather-proof your home.

People that have certain skill sets and viewpoints attained and forged by sheer experience in a particular discipline automatically makes them a far more reliable and rich source of opinion on that discipline than those who lack that.

Telling someone to "watch more films" isn't meaningful insight, whether it's coming from someone in the industry or not. Please, let's try and engage, rather than just poke and prod each other.

Telling someone to "watch more films" isn't meaningful insight, whether it's coming from someone in the industry or not. Please, let's try and engage, rather than just poke and prod each other.

I upgrade and I admit I'm guilty sometimes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, wouldn't the best way to catch on to more interesting filmmakers be by watching other films? I don't think that's a poke or prod. It's abrupt advice, sure, but it isn't not correct.