No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'd much rather Arnold than Pemberton, to be honest.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Arnold at least from interviews seems a bit burned by Newman replacing him or rather by the excuse EoN gave that Arnold was tied up with the Olympics. Arnold knew Mendes didn't want him and Arnold knew as long as Mendes directing that Newman would score.

I wonder if Arnold did return how he would approach the score.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Bring back Arnold.

Arnold is retired.......movie scoring-wise. It seems he doesn't give a shit anymore about movies. All he's doing now is staying in the UK scoring less-succesful BBC TV Series. I mean, look at his record. It's a big goodbye for him Hollywood-wise. He's old news.

No, I need Daniel Pemberton. He knows how to compose unforgettable melodies:
    I agree that Arnold is 'old hat'. EON seems to be going for fresh talent these days, so I expect either Newman (if it's Mendes again, just because he's his go-to guy) or someone entirely new, with a new Bond sound (which we are long overdue for imho).

I'm ok with Pemberton, but I didn't like his Uncle score all that much and find some of his work a bit repetitive. My #1 choice is Jackman, but I'd also be ok with Kraemer, Djawadi or Desplat. Djawadi would be perfection imho.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Gustav_Graves, not entirely true. Arnold always states that if EON came to him with a request to score, he'd do it in a heartbeat. This was a guy who spent his childhood marveled by Barry's scores in the Bond films; it was his biggest dream come true to actually get hired to work on these movies after they had such an impact on his early life and his love of film and music.

Besides, Bond movies aren't very Hollywood by definition anyway. If he was anti-Hollywood, reuniting with EON again wouldn't be him going back on a stance he had about the industry (which I don't think he has anyway, frankly).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Bring back Arnold.

Arnold is retired.......movie scoring-wise. It seems he doesn't give a shit anymore about movies. All he's doing now is staying in the UK scoring less-succesful BBC TV Series. I mean, look at his record. It's a big goodbye for him Hollywood-wise. He's old news.

I agree that Arnold is 'old hat'. EON seems to be going for fresh talent these days, so I expect either Newman (if it's Mendes again, just because he's his go-to guy) or someone entirely new, with a new Bond sound (which we are long overdue for imho).

I'm ok with Pemberton, but I didn't like his Uncle score all that much and find some of his work a bit repetitive. My #1 choice is Jackman, but I'd also be ok with Kraemer, Djawadi or Desplat. Djawadi would be perfection imho.

Who's Jackman? I like your choices by the way.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Bring back Arnold.

Who's Jackman? I like your choices by the way.
    Thanks. Henry Jackman, who did Kingsman. He knows how to action score.
  • It's not only that, or that I want 'fresh blood' in the Bond franchise. I personally think Pemberton would be a worthy replacement of Thomas Newman. I disagree with many here that Newman was the wrong choice for Bond. I love him. And I want him to stay. But alas, I think that's not going to happen.

I am not interested in a man who's only saying he would love to return to the Bond franchise, when outside the Bond family he's barely undertaking any movie projects. And I do acquire that of a movie composer these days; a man who's employing his talents for different kind of movies as well. JUST like John Barry by the way. We barely mention his fantastic work for movies like "Dances With Wolves", "Out Of Africa", "The Black Hole", "The Magnificent Seven" or "Midnight Cowboy".

Same with Newman...and now also with Daniel Pemberton. He's very much active within the movie scene. Not just Bond. We can't say that of David Arnold. And frankly, I'm on the whole not thrilled about his scores for "DAD" and "QOS", give or take a few (2 or 3) tracks.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    but without newman mendes won't stay, and without mendes craig won't stay.
  • but without newman mendes won't stay, and without mendes craig won't stay.

That's complete utter bullocks :-). And you know it.

I actually think Daniel Craig himself needs/wants a different director as well. If it's Guy Ritchie -with whom he never worked- or Chris Nolan -with whom he also never worked-, Craig is fond of starting new projects. Just look at "Othello".

By the way, you ought to know that I'm truly happy for Daniel Craig and Babs that they have so much success with this play...and that it's even being merged into a Broadway Musical. Can you imagine? Craig winning a Tony :-)? I also think 'Cubby' would be so proud of his daughter and how succesful she can be outside the Bond world as well. Let's not forget Cubby's wonderful "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".

Perhaps ever since Broccoli and Wilson have become members of the Producers Guild (Awards), mainly thanks to "Skyfall", they do have every right to try other stuff as well.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's not only that, or that I want 'fresh blood' in the Bond franchise. I personally think Pemberton would be a worthy replacement of Thomas Newman. I disagree with many here that Newman was the wrong choice for Bond. I love him. And I want him to stay. But alas, I think that's not going to happen.

I am not interested in a man who's only saying he would love to return to the Bond franchise, when outside the Bond family he's barely undertaking any movie projects. And I do acquire that of a movie composer these days; a man who's employing his talents for different kind of movies as well. JUST like John Barry by the way. We barely mention his fantastic work for movies like "Dances With Wolves", "Out Of Africa", "The Black Hole", "The Magnificent Seven" or "Midnight Cowboy".

Same with Newman...and now also with Daniel Pemberton. He's very much active within the movie scene. Not just Bond. We can't say that of David Arnold. And frankly, I'm on the whole not thrilled about his scores for "DAD" and "QOS", give or take a few (2 or 3) tracks.

Barry didn't score The Magnificent Seven, he just covered a theme.

Arnold has done TV scoring, including magnificent work on Sherlock, which is a helluva lot more taxing than film work. He must score three episodes each at an hour and a half in length, making up for many hours of material depending on the needs. Doing this kind of work on big series the BBC produces gives him a better chance to grow and challenge himself than film would, as it requires more time management with a possibility of more pressing deadlines.
    but without newman mendes won't stay, and without mendes craig won't stay.

You overestimate Newman's importance and underestimate Dan's willingness to continue, Mendes or no Mendes.
  • Barry didn't score The Magnificent Seven, he just covered a theme.

Thanks for the correction. That was Elmer off course. Recently watched "Moonraker" hehe.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Re-using music from SF pretitle for that part in SP pretitle was a bad idea. But Batman music in SF and not using Adele enough is the reasen i don't whant to see Newman return.
    I have to admit I loved the nod to Zimmer during the elevator hanging scene. It sort of went with the whole TDK theme.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't see willingness from Daniel at all, on the subject of Bond 25. All we have had from him is equivocation. Even if he wanted to return, that still doesn't make it a reality, especially if they are held back until 2019. I mean Pierce was a hugely successful Bond, he was enthusiastic to return, and look how that ended.

It would be nice if we didn't treat perfectly reasonable scenarios like they're absurd improbabilities, especially when something very similar played out with both of the last 2 actors to fill the tux.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Honestly I loved Man from UNCLE, thought it was an extremely fun film with great characters and chemistry. If Ritchie can direct something like this, with a simpler straight-forward story, I think we could have a great Bond film. He even made the usually wooden Cavill shine.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Re-using music from SF pretitle for that part in SP pretitle was a bad idea. But Batman music in SF and not using Adele enough is the reasen i don't whant to see Newman return.
    I have to admit I loved the nod to Zimmer during the elevator hanging scene. It sort of went with the whole TDK theme.

I liked that too ...don't know if deliberate or not but it caught my attention.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    You could also hear it again in Spectre when Swann shoots Hinx. :D
    Murdock wrote: »
    I absolutely loved that bit too!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Me too, actually, regardless of the fact that it was recycled. I felt the same way with 'Westminster Bridge'. But let's not venture towards SPECTRE deconstruction again.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I absolutely loved that bit too!

Me! Too! B-)

It's fff-ing dramatic and tense music. Only used for the final part of one of the best parts of "SPECTRE". But ooowh soo fitting! I think that scene was the very first time when I thought Bond (and Swann) physically felt entirely vulnerable. Love the choking from Madeleine....and Craig's choking too 8-X
    Me! Too! B-)

It's fff-ing dramatic and tense music. Only used for the final part of one of the best parts of "SPECTRE". But ooowh soo fitting! I think that scene was the very first time when I thought Bond (and Swann) physically felt entirely vulnerable. Love the choking from Madeleine....and Craig's choking too 8-X
    I agree. It really was ominous sounding and I love the way it kicked in only when they were both at their most vulnerable. Newman did a great job with that scene by not scoring it until the very end in the kitchen car when Bond was on the 'ropes', as it were (a bit of a pun given it was Hinx who went out with the rope).
  • suavejmf wrote: »
    Bring back Arnold.

Hogwash. Arnold has always expressed an interest in continuing to score Bond. And what unsuccessful BBC series has he supposedly been scoring of late? The massively popular Sherlock?
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Arnold at least from interviews seems a bit burned by Newman replacing him or rather by the excuse EoN gave that Arnold was tied up with the Olympics. Arnold knew Mendes didn't want him and Arnold knew as long as Mendes directing that Newman would score.

I wonder if Arnold did return how he would approach the score.

Which interviews?? I have only ever heard Arnold enthusiastically support the series. Yes, post-Newman even!
    @bondjames just took the opportunity to listen to a bit of the Kingsman soundtrack. Yes I absolutely agree with Jackman.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    who wants to bet as to actual news in january?
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Honestly I loved Man from UNCLE, thought it was an extrnemely fun film with great characters and chemistry. If Ritchie can direct something like this, with a simpler straight-forward story, I think we could have a great Bond film. He even made the usually wooden Cavill shine.
    Yes, I thought Ritchie showed 007 movie potential, with his excellent work with Uncle
    And yes Cavill did show some range. The film had its own smart vibe and style, and I say this as an Uncle fan, who assumed we would be getting something very similar to the original run.
    I was pleasantly impressed.
    I thought he pulled good performances out of the two female leads too.

Yup I enjoyed uncle, but Cavill was dire, as usual. Can't believe campbell ever thought he was better than Craig.

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    who wants to bet as to actual news in january?

Fingers are crossed.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    timmer wrote: »
    Honestly I loved Man from UNCLE, thought it was an extrnemely fun film with great characters and chemistry. If Ritchie can direct something like this, with a simpler straight-forward story, I think we could have a great Bond film. He even made the usually wooden Cavill shine.
    Yes, I thought Ritchie showed 007 movie potential, with his excellent work with Uncle
    And yes Cavill did show some range. The film had its own smart vibe and style, and I say this as an Uncle fan, who assumed we would be getting something very similar to the original run.
    I was pleasantly impressed.
    I thought he pulled good performances out of the two female leads too.

Thirded.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yup I enjoyed uncle, but Cavill was dire, as usual. Can't believe campbell ever thought he was better than Craig.

I thought he was pretty good in that, actually. He seemed far more comfortable in that role than he did as the emo-Superman. Pretty good comic timing and a nice air of prickery/snobbery about him.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Getafix wrote: »

I thought he was pretty good in that, actually. He seemed far more comfortable in that role than he did as the emo-Superman. Pretty good comic timing and a nice air of prickery/snobbery about him.
    I definitely agree. I don't like him as Superman and I also thought he was dire in it. But, the way he was given to characterize Napoleon Solo and take nothing seriously in return, raising an eyebrow in the face of danger and skirt the issue with a sarcastic smirk is exactly why I'd like Cavill to play Bond. Just like the way he played Solo. But, the obvious choices in Hollywood are never to be, I guess. They'll always go for someone who hasn't had a role in the past similar to what's he chosen to play now... I mean... nobody was expecting Daniel Craig to play Bond. Nobody was expecting Heath Ledger to play The Joker. Nobody was expecting Ben Affleck to play Batman. But, they happened, didn't they?
    Cavill would be a great Superman if given the scripts to work with. In time, hopefully that comes his way, as Man of Steel showed his promise. He has all he needs to be a strong modern Kal-El.