Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 1,661
    It's nigh on impossible for me to take Tom Ellis seriously as a potential Bond because he played Miranda Hart's on-off boyfriend in Miranda. But if I wipe that memory from my brain... :D
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Fassbender doesn't have the "it" factor. He just doesn't look convincing as Bond, he does have that charisma for the role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    dcp50613 wrote: »
    Tom Ellis. He's tall, (6'3") dark and handsome. He can be very serious and even intimidating or flip whatever is needed. He most definitely has that ruggedly handsome yet sophisticated 007 look. Let's not forget a full head of dark hair.

tom_ellis_lucifer.jpg

508.jpg

This chap has an interesting look. Sort of like a younger Jeremy Northam.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    At this point I'm starting to want Craig to play Bond until he reaches Moore's AVTAK age, because absolutely none of the candidates impress me. Hopefully in 3/4/5 years some natural candidate will appear.
    I am not convinced by any of them so far either. Too many seem to be Brosnan 2.0. Possibly good if the material carries them. In a nutshell my concern about Turner.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    At this point I'm starting to want Craig to play Bond until he reaches Moore's AVTAK age, because absolutely none of the candidates impress me. Hopefully in 3/4/5 years some natural candidate will appear.

Agreed
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    If we disregard acting talents for one moment, Brosnan definitely had the 'x factor' about him. You take a Brosnan circa 1995 and bring him to 2016, he would be far ahead of nearly every candidates in this thread in terms of popularity on MI6 forums. We're talking leading man status in a major blockbuster franchise, and apart from Fassbender, Hardy, Cumberbatch and (maybe) Hiddleston, not a single suggestion on this thread would ever be considered as a leading man in a major film production to be made within the next 2 years.

It's a good idea to check modern TV shows for the next Bond, as TV production are fantastic these days, but most of these candidates don't even cut if for a leading man status in a TV show. Would anyone consider Aidan Turner as the main star in a big TV production? Guys like Kiefer Sutherland, David Duchovny, Michael Chiklis, irrespective of what you think of them, they have enough clout to have their TV shows green-lighted with ease.

Really not even Tom Hardy
    Hardy could be good, but there is not a single candidate in this thread that was met with anything remotely close to a majority of approval from MI6 forums members. Which is why I said that irrespective of acting talent, if Brosnan circa 1995 would suddenly pop up in the movie business, he'd have a much bigger fanbase for Bond #7 in this thread than any of the candidates mentioned here.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I am not convinced by any of them so far either. Too many seem to be Brosnan 2.0. Possibly good if the material carries them. In a nutshell my concern about Turner.

That is quite possibly true, and in my opinion not a negative at all. The problem with the Brosnan era wasn't Brosnan.

It actually makes a lot of sense, considering how Brosnan followed Dalton, and how many compare Craig with Dalton. Maybe it is now time for someone to deliver a greater version of the Brosnan Bond, just like Craig did for Dalton.
    Ludovico wrote: »

That is quite possibly true, and in my opinion not a negative at all. The problem with the Brosnan era wasn't Brosnan.

It actually makes a lot of sense, considering how Brosnan followed Dalton, and how many compare Craig with Dalton. Maybe it is now time for someone to deliver a greater version of the Brosnan Bond, just like Craig did for Dalton.
    If you mean that we should perhaps lean towards a more light hearted Bond then I agree. However, I'm not ready for Brosan-redux personally, even if it's an improved version. He was a no doubt popular composite amalgam Bond, but the next actor must bring his own unique quality to the character, like the best actors have done.
    I always wonder, when people speak about more lighthearted. Wasn't SP VERY lighthearted? IMO too much so - even more would be a comic.

I agree. It's almost like it's become a trend to nominate the least Bond-like names for 007 and try to convince fans how right they are for the part. Might as well throw in Jason Alexander, Kenny Rogers, Tom Petty, or Jim Parsons and be as adamant that they NEED to be the next James Bond. It's become ridiculous.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I always wonder, when people speak about more lighthearted. Wasn't SP VERY lighthearted? IMO too much so - even more would be a comic.
    Yes, I agree that it was more light hearted than the most recent entries, but I think that light heartedness was very poorly executed. GE did it much better (even with a lead actor who was unsure), as did numerous prior entries. To me at least, SP reeked of some of the poorer entries from the 90's, at least in terms of 'slap-dash' lip service approach (let's sprinkle a little of what 'we think the faithful want' rather than try to make something authentic).

Just speaking for myself, I also didn't think that the approach suited the lead actor. Just like how some say TMWTGG didn't suit Moore (I disagree on this one). Whether this was on account of the script or the performance, I'm not sure, but it's how I felt. I think Craig's portrayal didn't seem 'true' to what he'd brought before, if that makes any sense. He'd pretty much made the role his own since CR, and I think he should have played to that introspective and damaged Bond which is 'uniquely his' rather than going off on a more 'fully formed' light-hearted tangent.

So to me, it was possibly a case of both the script and the performance being problematic.
    I agree. I suppose, that was their formular Bond film, they wanted to make from the start, but no, it doesn't suit DC all that well or rather, we are not used to his Bond acting like that.

Just read, that Kings already starts Dec 27 for 8 weeks, which means straight after Othello and then Purity. Who knows, if they are having Bond in mind with this tied schedule.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I suppose with a shave and a change of hairstyle, Tom Ellis would look the part. But I would still put my money on Turner for Bond#25.
    Personally I feel Craig is just an amalgam of Dalton and Lazenby. I'm not convinced he brought anything new to the role, but it just so happens that the 2 actors he took from happened to be way ahead of their time, so it feels fresh and contemporary. Brosnan, by contrast, was pinching from 2 highly successful and timely tenures.

I watched TWINE the other day, I film I don't really enjoy, but I found that Brosnan was very cold and calculating and yet still had that jovial tone, like he was enjoying himself.

Like when he attacks Renard and putting the silencer on and he is telling him how "I feel nothing" about shooting Renard, who is unarmed. I wasn't so much paying attention to the dialogue, but the performance, because I think this is more how Brosnan wanted to play Bond. He really excels with this stuff, even if the scenes and the dialogue itself isn't the best.

Just like the Dalton era, the Brosnan films are saddled with excessive cheesiness, but I think under it all, there was an attempt to make Bond modern, and light hearted at the same time. Unfortunately they, like Dalton, were ahead of their time and the ideas weren't mature enough yet. Brosnan ended up recessing into the typical groaner one liners instead of a more subtle, darker humour.
    Personally I feel Craig is just an amalgam of Dalton and Lazenby. I'm not convinced he brought anything new to the role, but it just so happens that the 2 actors he took from happened to be way ahead of their time, so it feels fresh and contemporary. Brosnan, by contrast, was pinching from 2 highly successful and timely tenures.
    This is an interesting and salient observation.
    Like when he attacks Renard and putting the silencer on and he is telling him how "I feel nothing" about shooting Renard, who is unarmed. I wasn't so much paying attention to the dialogue, but the performance, because I think this is more how Brosnan wanted to play Bond. He really excels with this stuff, even if the scenes and the dialogue itself isn't the best.
    I'm afraid this is one of the scenes that I find most discomfiting in the film, along with the infamous Baku breakdown. I think he overplayed it in this film in an obvious way, much to his detriment.
    I should have known that bringing up TWINE was a bad idea @bondjames ;)

What I mean to say is that I think the idea of the Brosnan era was to start with a very traditional Bond film with lots of campiness (GE) just to get people interested in Bond again, and then gradually shift into a more organic, contemporary style of humour and tone, probably borrowing from Tarantino and others. However, once GE was a huge hit, then Cubby died, and I think Barbara and Micheal just focused on the survival of the franchise. It all ended up going in a more stereotypical "safe" direction than was intended.

(I mention Tarantino because as you say the scene in TWINE is overplayed, and I can't help but think is somewhat intentional, or at least inspired by Tarantino's tendency to portray drama in a very sensationalized manner.)
    edited December 2016 Posts: 15,692
    @bondjames I know you are not an advocate of returning to the Brosnan style era. But I'm sure you would agree that in the huge pool of current candidates, a Brosnan circa 1995 teleported to 2016 would have a far bigger fanbase for Bond #7 than anyone else suggested in the thread. Brozza may have been a safe choice, but he did look like a proper Bond, and even a natural candidate. Right now we have suggestions left right and center concerning any Brit actors looking good in a tux or handling a gun. None of them, save 2 or 3, can come anywhere close of being a possible leading man status in a major blockbuster. We can say a ton of complaints about Brosnan, but his GE self would destroy all these recent actors if a poll was made. There hasn't been a single actor mentioned as a possible Bond that was met with a majority of positive opinions.

What I mean to say is that I think the idea of the Brosnan era was to start with a very traditional Bond film with lots of campiness (GE) just to get people interested in Bond again, and then gradually shift into a more organic, contemporary style of humour and tone, probably borrowing from Tarantino and others. However, once GE was a huge hit, then Cubby died, and I think Barbara and Micheal just focused on the survival of the franchise. It all ended up going in a more stereotypical "safe" direction than was intended.

(I mention Tarantino because as you say the scene in TWINE is overplayed, and I can't help but think is somewhat intentional, or at least inspired by Tarantino's tendency to portray drama in a very sensationalized manner.)
    That's possible @Mendes4Lyfe, and there was certainly an attempt to shift tone with TWINE. It was uneven, but the intention was definitely there. As you suggest, EON was somewhat rudderless for a while post-Cubby. I think they started pulling from other genres and films (XXX, Austin Powers etc.) and combined that with traditional Bond, until Bourne showed them a new path.

I've always said that Brosnan was straightjacketed by Bond. He is best when he can be expressive (like in November Man or Tailor of Panama), but I personally feel that to play Bond best, one must be able to do subtle - which I didn't think he was all that great with.
    bondjames wrote: »

I've always said that Brosnan was straightjacketed by Bond. He is best when he can be expressive (like in November Man or Tailor of Panama), but I personally feel that to play Bond best, one must be able to do subtle - which I didn't think he was all that great with.

That's a great point. A bit like Sam Jackson as Mace Windu. ;)

That's a great point. A bit like Sam Jackson as Mace Windu. ;)
    Exactly. Jackson without a classic slightly unhinged monologue is such a tragic thing to behold. That's why he works so well with Tarantino, and perhaps Brosnan could as well. Surprising that they haven't hooked up.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Yes, I agree that it was more light hearted than the most recent entries, but I think that light heartedness was very poorly executed. GE did it much better (even with a lead actor who was unsure), as did numerous prior entries. To me at least, SP reeked of some of the poorer entries from the 90's, at least in terms of 'slap-dash' lip service approach (let's sprinkle a little of what 'we think the faithful want' rather than try to make something authentic).

Just speaking for myself, I also didn't think that the approach suited the lead actor. Just like how some say TMWTGG didn't suit Moore (I disagree on this one). Whether this was on account of the script or the performance, I'm not sure, but it's how I felt. I think Craig's portrayal didn't seem 'true' to what he'd brought before, if that makes any sense. He'd pretty much made the role his own since CR, and I think he should have played to that introspective and damaged Bond which is 'uniquely his' rather than going off on a more 'fully formed' light-hearted tangent.

So to me, it was possibly a case of both the script and the performance being problematic.

This. Well said.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2016 Posts: 7,989
    I don't see Tom Ellis as Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't see Tom Ellis as Bond.

Me neither. He's a bit 'camp' for Bond.
  • Agnes_007Agnes_007 Manchester, UK
    I think it's going to be hard for whoever follows Daniel Craig. But I'm sure there are a lot of talented actors who could bring their own interpretation of the character to the series. Actors like Aidan Turner and Tom Hiddleston (even though he seems a little too smiley for me, there's not much of an edge to him) are very talented and I'm sure they'd bring something different and do well too. :)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    You should watch The Night Manager...Hiddleston has the edge of Craig and the suaveness of Moore in that. Turner...yes...crap.
    Hiddles in the first episode of The Night Manager in particular had Bond written all over him imho.
  • Agnes_007Agnes_007 Manchester, UK
    @suavejmf I watched The Night Manager when it was on and that's what has sort of made me see Hiddleston as someone who'd bring something interesting to Bond. I actually think Turner would too, but it depends on what you want Bond to be like!