Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,904
    I'd like to recommend Deadlier Than The Male. Between that and Danger Route, we have a good idea of the Bond that we missed out on in Richard Johnson. As tough as Connery, and as smooth as Moore.
    +∞

The thought of Richard Johnson as Bond, in a film directed by Terance Young.... one day, I will travel to an alternate universe, and see the Richard Johnson Bond films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    jake24 wrote: »
    The textbook definition of a popcorn flick. I can't get enough of that film.
    Agreed. Great film. Vintage Neeson.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The only it did shameful was waste Lupita Nyong'o.
    jake24 wrote: »
    The only it did shameful was waste Lupita Nyong'o.
    Oh right. I totally forgot she was even in it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Exactly. ;)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Bernardo BertolucciIl's IL CONFORMISTA (1970) aka THE CONFORMIST. I had first heard of this film when I was studying film at Syracuse in the early '80s. The clips I had seen, it's reputation as one of the most beautiful films ever created and the praise it received from some of the most respected film historians put it near the top of the my must-see list. This was before DVD, much less downloading, existed, in fact films on VHS had only been widely available for a couple of years at that time. I did not want to see the film in pan and scan, on a low quality video tape, but this was before proper aspect ratio was an option in home entertainment. Over the years I waited for it to come to an art house theatre where I could catch on the big screen. Never happened. Not when I was in New York, and not when I lived in LA.

Finally, about ten years ago, I finally got ahold of the film on DVD, in the widescreen format. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time, but it hardly met my expectations. No doubt it was a masterpiece of visual style and innovation, but the drama and story, left me cold. I had enjoyed everything that I had seen by Bertolucci, covering five decades, particularly THE LAST TANGO IN PARIS (1972), THE LAST EMPEROR (1987) and THE DREAMERS (2003) (starring a very young and very naked Eva Green). So the experience was extremely disappointing.

But tonight I finally saw the film that had been eluding me for so long. Over the past few months I have been compiling a list of what are, in my opinion, the definitive and/or essential espionage films. Only a few Bond movies will make the final cut (I have seven potential entries from the franchise on my rough draft), as I'm trying to steer clear of the more fantastic elements linked (mainly due to the EON series) to the genre. Thinking of European films that could be up for consideration, I eventually remembered THE CONFORMIST. I found it on Netflix and (like many that I am considering and haven't seen in awhile) decided to give it a fresh viewing. It was an excellent decision. Rarely do I find a film any more that excites me the way I felt watching this. It is deep and complex, yet I was mesmerized. The climax had me shaking. The vision of Bertolucci as realized through the lens of cinematographer Vittorio Storer. Every set, every costume, every prop screams Art Deco out of the Early 20th Century, yet stylistically the camera and layouts are as sharp and stylized as anything the top graphic designers were contemporaneously coming up with. No shot is wasted, this film is breathtaking.

Set in Fascist Italy and the pre-Vichy Paris of the late 1930's, the film is ostensibly about a political assassination. But, the movie is more than anything an uncomfortable look at humanity, represented by one damaged man. It's about how and why fascism takes hold in the individual and in a society. Obviously I am affected and sickened by the similarities and patterns I see emerging here in America now, where a Monster has brought out the worst in so many of my countrymen.

This is one of the great films, it is beyond me that I didn't get it the first time. My highest recommendation.

@Birdleson, would you mind sharing this list?
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,336
    Just curious, do you have any film after 2000 or even 1990's on the list? (except CR ;)
    Yes, a few. I didn't include any from the past couple of years because it takes some time and distance to decide if a film is essentially strong.

Makes sense.

• edited November 2016 Posts: 3,336
    I actually have eight Bond films included at this point. That surprises me.

That should be no surprise :)
    DN, FRWL, TB, OHMSS, FYEO, TLD (before Afghanistan at least), GE and CR.
    YOLT could also be added, but those above would be my choices. I love GF, but i do feel it is way too different from DN and FRWL which i consider to be more spy thrillers. The same could be said about TSWLM.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TLD, LTK & QOS.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    FYEO, OP (goes a bit off the rails though)
    Both films have their silly BS moments, but both, at their hearts, are solid entries IMHO.
  • DN, FRWL, OHMSS and TLD are the only ones I see as clear espionage movies. The rest are in a muddled area.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    CR and QOS aren't clear?

In QOS, the action seems to carry the espionage as opposed to the other way round. CR is debatable, but the last half hour feels very removed from espionage.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Nicolas-Cage-in-Lord-of-War-nicolas-cage-25467713-1280-720.jpg

Lord of War (2005)

This film is firmly set in my top 3 all time favorites, alongside Munich and Beasts of No Nation. Nicolas Cage delivers a stunning performance that I would rank as one of the best in the past 20 years. I was 14 years old in 2005 when I first discovered this film in cinemas. I was too young to understand most of what the film was really about (at the time I just enjoyed Cage traveling the world to sell guns). But now, I can really enjoy every aspect of the film, be it the cold and pessimist view of the world, or Cage's very cynical performance. Some of his lines, in particular from his narration, are just so damn powerful, and hits you in the stomach several times. The script is fantastic, not one moment is too long or uninteresting. The soundtrack is phenomenal, and the supporting cast brilliant, from the lost younger bother, the professional Interpol agent, the older world-weary gun merchant, the sadistic african warlord (or should I say, lord of war) to the 'almost permanently shit-faced' military uncle. Just by the bullet-camera intro, I always know I am in for a very, very good film. And it never disappoints.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd like to recommend Deadlier Than The Male. Between that and Danger Route, we have a good idea of the Bond that we missed out on in Richard Johnson. As tough as Connery, and as smooth as Moore.
    +∞

The thought of Richard Johnson as Bond, in a film directed by Terance Young.... one day, I will travel to an alternate universe, and see the Richard Johnson Bond films.
    I hear you there! When you buy a ticket to that universe, tell me where to purchase one so I'll go there and see them for myself, too. Richard Johnson is the Bond that never was.

Richard_Johnson-W-PPK.jpg
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

I was disappointed by the trailer which was more 'Fantastic Beasts Lost in New York', but was really surprised by just how dark the film was. The film balanced the wizarding world and 1920's New York really well, especially the goblins who were hardcore New Yorkers. The costumes, set designs and music was faultless, and as amazing as we've come to expect from the Potterverse.

Eddie Redmayne is perfect as Newt, and Dan Fogler really stole the show as Jacob Kowalski. I just couldn't picture Colin Farrell and his bad boy image fitting into the Potterverse, but he and his sassy cloak were a real stand out for me.

It was slightly unsettling watching some of the bigger issues facing the No-Maj and wizarding world play out, given how uncomortably close they are to current events in our own world. It will be interesting to see how that develops across the next four films, if that is the direction they intend to go.

Overall the film was brilliant, and has just the right amount of sameness to make you feel at home in a world we've come to love. I would highly recommend it!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    +∞

I hear you there! When you buy a ticket to that universe, tell me where to purchase one so I'll go there and see them for myself, too. Richard Johnson is the Bond that never was.

Richard_Johnson-W-PPK.jpg

I think Fleming would have approved of his casting from the outset. Johnson lacked that rough diamond quality that Connery had (and may have been one of the leading factors for the series early success) but he could have made up for that in either charm, or ruthlessness. Had that worked out, and given what can be seen of Richard Johnson in other films, it's likely that he would have been my favourite Bond. Sorry, Tim.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 5,834
    Not a movie, but on saturday, I watched the 25th anniversary representation of Miss Saigon. Beautiful. At the end, I was in tears. And as a special bonus, there was the small concert that followed the play that day, featuring members of the original cast, including Lea Salonga, Simon Bowman and Jonathan Pryce. A treat, especially the vbersion of "The Movie in my Mind" sung by Lea and Rachel Ann Go (who managed to wow even Ms. Salonga, not to mention myself). Not to be missed.

The Hunger Games Mocking jay part 2.

Having not read the books I was quite surprised how it all ended, but overall I enjoyed the series immensely.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @RogueAgent, you'll watch Katniss shoot arrows but you won't watch Ethan Hunt in MI5? Priorities, man! ;)
    Arrival
    Bored the crap out of me!
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Arrival
    Glad to hear I wasn't the only one! I almost fell asleep in the theatre and was fortunately woken up by someone going to the toilet. I'm sure Villeneuve had something in mind with this, but I completely didn't get it. Surreal.
    Allied (2016). I loved this movie; one of Zemeckis's best yet.
  • Friday the 13th Series
    After rewatching the first six, this is my final ranking:

11. Jason Goes to Hell - 0/10
    10. Jason X - 0/10
    9. Friday the 13th (2009) - 1/10
    8. Part Three - 3/10
    7. Jason Takes Manhattan - 4/10
    6. A New Beginning - 5/10
    5. Part Two - 6/10
    4. The New Blood - 7/10
    3. The Final Chapter - 7/10
    2. Friday the 13th (1980) - 8/10
    1. Jason Lives - 8/10

A New Beginning went down whilst the original Friday went up.
  • Olympus Has Fallen
    Excellent action thriller.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Olympus Has Fallen
    Excellent action thriller.

That one bored the crap out of me.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,469
    Just watched The Deadly Affair, 1966, based on John le Carre's first novel Call for the Dead, starring James Mason as Charles Dobbs (the George Smiley character). Much enjoyed. It moves quickly of course, definitely has that le Carre feel, and it really lays bare the raw heartache and conundrum of the relationship between him and his wife Ann. But my fave of the le Carre film adaptations is still the TTSP mini-series with Alec Guinness.
    bondjames wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Arrival
    Glad to hear I wasn't the only one! I almost fell asleep in the theatre and was fortunately woken up by someone going to the toilet. I'm sure Villeneuve had something in mind with this, but I completely didn't get it. Surreal.
    Interesting...I heard it got good reviews, so it's good to hear of your experience(s).
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2,107
    Edward Scissorhands

One of my go-to holiday classics. Sweet story about a young man, who was born a little different than others, like most of Burton's creations from his early years.

Gothic fairytale mixed with 50's american suburb nostalgia.

Johnny Depp in his first role that I saw is a quiet and shy freak in contrast to some of his later out there over the top characters. Played with minimal style, character with almost no human emotions, as he's not quite human, but a creation of an old inventor; a robot with a heart that was supposed to become a real boy. Unfortunately left unfinished after his creator dies of old age.

Still highly watchable after all these years.