Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @IncompetentHenchman - 1/10, you really didn't like the reboot. I enjoyed it. The characters were as douche-y (Trent), or likeable (Whitney & Jenna) than in most of the previous films. As for Jason, he used more weapons, and was more cunning than usual.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,817
    @IncompetentHenchman - 1/10, you really didn't like the reboot. I enjoyed it. The characters were as douche-y (Trent), or likeable (Whitney & Jenna) than in most of the previous films. As for Jason, he used more weapons, and was more cunning than usual.

I appreciated that Jason used more weapons, but it felt like it came down to the same-old tricks somehow. It feels like they've exhausted all their ideas for deaths.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    INCEPTION

e1b565c2db336051350e038bd431d699f586d46e52e9d36f71a8f0fb2bf27426.jpg

Literally nothing Nolan's ever put on film has let me down so far. INCEPTION is his own creation, from start to finish. It's a cerebral masterpiece, an inspiring fusion of several film genres. If I wasn't a fan of Nolan's filmmaking already, this one truly cemented my admiration for the man in 2010. As with most of Nolan's output, INCEPTION has its die-hard fans and caustic haters. I'm sure it has everything to do with the film's subject matter and narrative structure. Some roll with it, some disgorge nothing but vomit over it. I for one would like to see more of this kind of stuff. I can't find a single flaw in the film. Instead, I love every second of it. From acting to scoring, and every technical aspect in between, INCEPTION touches all my sweet spots. This film is among my favourite cinematic achievements of the past decade. Some say overrated, I say underrated. It's all a matter of taste. But if you haven't yet watched INCEPTION, I can only encourage you to do so.

Its a masterpiece. A dream.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,696
    M3_Keanu_Reeves_003.jpg

The Matrix (1999)

This is the first time I rewatch one of the Matrix films since discovering Keanu Reeves' John Wick character. The man just doesn't age. Great plot, fantastic action sequences, breathtaking special effects, a killer soundtrack, a totally badass Keanu Reeves and a very cool supporting cast (Hugo Weaving, Laurence Fishburne). I regret not seeing this in theaters in 1999, but the first saw this film about 3/4 years ago, it really blew my mind. One of my favorites sci-fi films, alongside Children of Men, Inception and Edge of Tomorrow. Now that I have seen him as Neo again (been a while), I really can't wait to see Keanu Reeves kick some major ass in 'John Wick 2'.
    Another masterpiece.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 7,653
    In the electric mist [2009] - Tommy Lee Jones plays the great detective Dave Robicheaux, in the New Orleans area post Hurricane Katarina, from the James Lee Burke novels who has got to solve the murder of several young girls and has found the body of man in chains from around 1965. A movie that stays true to the core of the book and Jones is great in the part, too bad there have not been a few more books from this series filmed with Jones.

Like Heaven's prisoners with Baldwin in the part it looks to be a single movie.

Both are good police stories with an original approach.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    inferno_jojoxeti_qartulad.jpg

Looks great on BD. Makes no sense but visually incredible. Pure Argento.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I love this period of Argento. Suspiria being my favourite but Inferno and Profondo Rosso are right up there too! He was on fire at this point.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    INCEPTION

e1b565c2db336051350e038bd431d699f586d46e52e9d36f71a8f0fb2bf27426.jpg

Literally nothing Nolan's ever put on film has let me down so far. INCEPTION is his own creation, from start to finish. It's a cerebral masterpiece, an inspiring fusion of several film genres. If I wasn't a fan of Nolan's filmmaking already, this one truly cemented my admiration for the man in 2010. As with most of Nolan's output, INCEPTION has its die-hard fans and caustic haters. I'm sure it has everything to do with the film's subject matter and narrative structure. Some roll with it, some disgorge nothing but vomit over it. I for one would like to see more of this kind of stuff. I can't find a single flaw in the film. Instead, I love every second of it. From acting to scoring, and every technical aspect in between, INCEPTION touches all my sweet spots. This film is among my favourite cinematic achievements of the past decade. Some say overrated, I say underrated. It's all a matter of taste. But if you haven't yet watched INCEPTION, I can only encourage you to do so.

Its a masterpiece. A dream.

Whatever gets your top spinning.
    ARRIVAL

Forget Interstellar. This is the true heir to Nolan in his prime. Very intelligent and emotional film. The climax is incredibly powerful, and there is a clever double meaning to the title that isn t revealed until the very end. Highly recommended.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    +1, @Thunderfinger.

Doctor Strange
    Absolutely brilliant.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I must have missed what they were trying to achieve with ARRIVAL. I found it quite dull. DR STRANGE was decent though. Great cast.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    ARRIVAL

Forget Interstellar. This is the true heir to Nolan in his prime. Very intelligent and emotional film. The climax is incredibly powerful, and there is a clever double meaning to the title that isn t revealed until the very end. Highly recommended.
    That's what I've been hearing from friends. A must-see.

Who else is seeing Allied (2016)?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @FoxRox, I hope to catch it sometime before it leaves theaters, but I have been majorly disappointed with how much the trailers seem to have spoiled.
    I love most of Robert Zemeckis's movies. One of my favorite film directors. I doubt it will disappoint me. Cast Away (2000) is one of my all-time favorites.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I love most of Robert Zemeckis's movies. One of my favorite film directors. I doubt it will disappoint me. Cast Away (2000) is one of my all-time favorites.

It looks like Mr. and Mrs. Smith set in World War II, so I'm all in for it. From the costume design I've seen, especially the suits they're putting Brad in, it could garner some Oscar nods for its efforts.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    FoxRox wrote: »

It looks like Mr. and Mrs. Smith set in World War II, so I'm all in for it. From the costume design I've seen, especially the suits they're putting Brad in, it could garner some Oscar nods for its efforts.
    It's a video watch for me unfortunately, as I too have seen too much in the trailers. If there's a twist not in the trailers, I'd appreciate someone letting me know (without giving it away) and then I may make the investment to watch it in a theatre.
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). I don't think any film I've seen fits the "gets better with every watch" feeling more than this one. Just an amazing experience - more amazing every time. Has become a favorite.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,009
    The Whip And The Body, aka What? (1963): Nice little gothic horror film by Mario Bava with two Bond alumni: Christopher Lee and [the non-official] Daliah Lavi. Frenetic pace and interesting plot.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I love this period of Argento. Suspiria being my favourite but Inferno and Profondo Rosso are right up there too! He was on fire at this point.

Yep, Suspiria is my favourite of his as well.

Hasn't made a good film since the excellent Tenebrae
    I watched about half of the Bourne identity and while I don't love it MATT Damon is far less annoying in the film then I feared. So I think I will watch the full trilogy at some point and when I have the money pick up Jason Bourne as well.

Plus post my bondathon I intend to do a top 10 spy films one per franchise (which also means catching up on Bourne and re watching the mission impossible films to see which of those will be in said list)

There are also a few spy films I need to buy and see before I go on this quest specifically

1.. Norh by Northwest
    2. Ronin
    3. Spy Games
    4. Tinker tailor soldier spy
    5. Our kind of traitor
    6. Three day in the condor

And of course if anyone wants to pm me or respond with their favorite spy films.. is their even a thread on top ten spy films
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You left out Charade.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Good recent spy flicks I really enjoy: Safe House with Denzel Washington, and Killer Elite with Jason Statham, Clive Owen and Robert De Niro.
    I always thought Robert Redfords character in Spy Games was an older version of his role in Three Days of the Condor! Both great movies, the latter particularly for the cat and mouse games between Redford and Max Von Sydows chilling hitman!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,912
    I'd like to recommend Deadlier Than The Male. Between that and Danger Route, we have a good idea of the Bond that we missed out on in Richard Johnson. As tough as Connery, and as smooth as Moore.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd like to recommend Deadlier Than The Male. Between that and Danger Route, we have a good idea of the Bond that we missed out on in Richard Johnson. As tough as Connery, and as smooth as Moore.
    +∞
    The Equalizer (2014)

Denzel Washington is the friggen man. Until he retires from acting or passes away I will be there on opening day for every single film he'll appear in. His charisma is to the level of Sean Connery. The guy can express so many thoughts and emotions with his facial expressions alone, and commands huge respect and authority just by sitting in the corner of a room. He may be 62 years old now, but I still wouldn't recommend people my age (mid 20's) to piss him off, as he would destroy you and wipe the floor with you in 2 seconds.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,696
    non-stop-trailer-facebook.jpg

Non Stop (2014)

Liam Neeson. Probably my all-time favorite actor. The day he decided to become an action hero thanks to 'Taken', the action genre gain an extremely badass and charismatic representative. Neeson action flicks are basically a sub-genre of their own, and he totally owns that share of the market. In this one, Liam Neeson uses his very specific set of skills to stop a terrorist plot aboard a long-flight airplane. From the first minutes, the film sets the tone for a very, very badass Liam Neeson who doesn't give a hell about his superiors (heavy drinking, and he carries a roll of duct-tape to be able to smoke in peace in the plane's bathroom). A style of stone cold Neeson that could carry on in the following year's 'Run All Night'.

Very quickly, sh*t gets very real, and we are in for 90 minutes of pure tension as Neeson tries to piece together the puzzle he is confronted with. As always, Neeson is involved in some brutal fist fights (the one in the bathroom is one of my favorite Neeson fisticuffs). The dramatic scenes involving our hero, Bill Marks, are boosted by Neeson's impressive acting skills. Neeson really is the whole package - badass, can beat you up in 2 seconds flat, charismatic and an actor of a highest calibre. I am ready for many more Neeson action flicks.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The textbook definition of a popcorn flick. I can't get enough of that film.