Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Fortunately for you Beyond has less action than the other films and is more driven by Characters. It was great fun.
    Fingers crossed then. Here's hoping.
  • screen-shot-2016-07-13-at-2.38.27-pm.jpg?itok=zxf0vguV

Jaylah was great it cracked me up everytime she said
    Montgomery Scotty
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,696
    Tomorrow (today in my time zone since it's a few minutes passed midnight) I'll be double billing 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' and 'Hacksaw Ridge'. Really excited.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Arrival (2016)

I had high expectations for this alien incursion film, starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whittaker. Sadly, it didn't quite live up to expectations. Truth be told, I almost nodded off halfway through, and am thankful that the person sitting next to me had to take a bathroom break, because if he hadn't woken me up I would have missed about 50% of the film! It's rather dull and a bit too cerebral for me. I didn't really understand what they were getting at with it - I'm sure there was a point but it was just lost on me. The special effects were excellent and the performances were also very good though, especially Adams. Having said that, I much prefer the similar Contact starring Jodi Foster and Matthew McConaughey. The film has a high 93% rating on RT, so it's probably just me. Composer Johan Johansson delivers another superb & chilling score, following up on his excellent work in last year's Sicario.

Dr. Strange (2016)

I watched this one last week but didn't get a chance to post about it here. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch as the titular character (great choice) & boasts a superb supporting cast (Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Mads Mikkelsen & Tilda Swinton are excellent as always). The film has outstanding special effects (think Inception on steroids) and is quite entertaining. It's essentially an origin story. I have read a few of the comics when I was a kid, but can't really remember much about the character. This one is a fun night at the movies, and recommended. I preferred it to the X-Men film that came out earlier this year.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Murdock wrote: »
    I loved Star Trek Beyond. It feels the closest to Star Trek for me it's the best of the Kelvin Timeline.

B-) YES! :)>-
    Unlikely as it is, one thing I want to return is the theme they used in Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock. That one is my absolute favorite Star Trek theme.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,432
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Unlikely as it is, one thing I want to return is the theme they used in Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock. That one is my absolute favorite Star Trek theme.

James Horners music in those two films are phenomenal, my favouraite scores of the series and there have been some excellent scores.

Michael delivers his best Trek score with Beyond. One track in particular evokes that classic Horner style. They also use the font from the Wrath of Khan in the credits.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Michael delivers his best Trek score with Beyond. One track in particular evokes that classic Horner style. They also use the font from the Wrath of Khan in the credits.

When the Enterprise enters the nebula if I am not mistaken there were a few eerie bars that reminded me of The Motion picture, I'll watch the film a second time tomorrow see if it is better second viewing.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    If you love movies...at the risk of sounding like an infomercial...check out my movie facebook page - ***Spoiler Alert*** - I run it with my friend Simon - and we've been doing a monthly podcast for years now which you can download in i-tunes (if you've been curious to hear my weirdly accented voice!) and we review 'Dr Strange' in the latest episode.

But check out the page - we usually find some interesting and amusing things to post!

https://facebook.com/Spoiler-Alert-218904154793354/
    Murdock wrote: »

When the Enterprise enters the nebula if I am not mistaken there were a few eerie bars that reminded me of The Motion picture, I'll watch the film a second time tomorrow see if it is better second viewing.
    I noticed that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a few notes from Goldsmith.
    Just a half-hour in and can safely say Star Trek Beyond (2016) is much better than the last two. Definitely captures more of the Trek feel.
  • @Murdock
    Am I right in thinking that Krall soldiers are crew from the Franklin, his crew were transformed also?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Just a half-hour in and can safely say Star Trek Beyond (2016) is much better than the last two. Definitely captures more of the Trek feel.

The last half hour is where it becomes unwatchable. Endless explosions and CGI nonsense.

;(
  • One thing that irritates me and this happens alot with recent cgi fests, is that in Beyond there are too many cgi elements at times and it all becomes a blur. Give me a great simple beauty pass shot of the Enterprise from the early films any day, over a muddled mess of a shot.
    @fire_and_ice
    No Krall, Manas and Kalara were the only survivors from the Franklin. In Edison's captains log, he mentions that they find advanced mining drones. Those soldiers Krall used were robotic drones. He just took command of them.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice
    No Krall, Manas and Kalara were the only survivors from the Franklin. In Edison's captains log, he mentions that they find advanced mining drones. Those soldiers Krall used were robotic drones. He just took command of them.

Cheers will certainly pay more attention to logs next time I watch it.

• edited November 2016 Posts: 12,302
    Finished it. I will say it was a mixed bag overall, but I still enjoyed it LOADS more than the last two. Though off in some respects, it's still much closer to Trek. Quinto's performance as Spock was a particular highlight. New, updated ranking of the films:

Star Trek Films Ranked:
    13. Star Trek: Into Darkness
    12. Star Trek
    11. Star Trek: Insurrection
    10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    9. Star Trek: Nemesis
    8. Star Trek: Beyond
    7. Star Trek: Generations
    6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    5. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    4. Star Trek: First Contact
    3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  • My current Star Trek movie ranking.

Original crew

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. The Motion Picture
    3. The Search for Spock
    4. The Undiscovered Country
    5. Final Frontier
    6. Voyage Home

Next Gen

1. First Contact
    2. Generations
    3. Insurrection
    4. Nemesis

Kelvin Timeline

1. Star Trek
    2. Into Darkness
    3. Beyond
    Interesting rankings. Generations is the one I like that most people seem not to :))
    Here's mine.

1.Wrath of Khan
    2. The Voyage Home
    3. Beyond
    4. The Search For Spock
    5. The Undiscovered Country
    6. First Contact
    7. The Final Frontier
    8. Into Darkness
    9. Star Trek
    10. The Motion Picture

Insurrection, Nemesis and Generations don't exist in my book.
  • I find it difficult to rank all the movies together as I view them very differently, Generations is problematic ie poor end for Kirk, though I liked aspects of the film.
    I rank them purely on enjoyment as I do Bond movies. :))
    Beyond was a really bizarre viewing for me. I expected to strongly dislike it. I ended up enjoying it a lot at moments, but also not enjoying it at several moments. There were times I actually felt like I was watching Star Trek again; never got that feel from the first two reboot films. Flawed for sure, but it had its moments.
    The character moments for the highlights for me. The whole cast was on point.
    I agree. Each was at their best this time around, and the chemistry was very good. Chris Pine's Kirk never clicked for me, but Beyond was still his best go at it.
  • Nemesis and Insurrection did not have the best effects or set designs, it was noticeable to me ILM did not do the effects for Beyond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

Fantastic, what a blast it was to return to the magical world of JK Rowling, 5 years after the final Harry Potter movie. Fantastic cast - Eddie Redmayne was very likeable, his sidekick hilarious, Colin Farrell was quite chilling, Ezra Miller was very mysterious. Great soundtrack, breathtaking special effects (one particular 10 minutes sequence was so damn magical), and thrilling action scenes. Not as good as the Potter films, but as the end credits role, I couldn't wait to see more of these new storylines and characters when the sequels will arrive. Very unexpected moment in the finale. Highly recommend to fans of Harry Potter and fantasy adventure films in general.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

This is it. Hands down the best film I've seen this year. Mel Gibson is back as director after a decade, and he delivers the daddy of all war films. During the first hour, Gibson takes the time to set the characters and plot (Desmond Doss' childhood, military training). Andrew Garfield delivers a career-defining performance, and Hugo Weaving acts his heart out in a performance for the ages. Both these actors very much deserve Oscar nominations. Vince Vaughn and Sam Worthington are also very good. When the 'war' section starts, sh*t gets very real. Gibson films a total carnage that goes on for an entire hour. From torn up bodies, rats eating rotten faces of soldiers, a soldier using a head-less, arm-less & leg-less up torso as shield, legs being torn off, internal organs spilled everywhere, torsos and heads exploding due to being riddled with machine gun fire, to people being burn alive by napalm or blown to pieces by grenades and mortars, it is an hour-long vision of hell. Fantastic soundtrack by Rupert Gregson-Williams who gives an epic feeling to a lot of important moments. If Mel Gibson does not win the Oscar for this, I will go on a rampage. This is now my definitive war film, even ahead of 'Saving Private Ryan', and one of the finest films I've ever seen.
    I had a couple of hours to spare, so I rewatched Criminal (2016).

I really, really enjoy this film. Just for the scene where Kevin Costner steals the guy's lunch, beats up another 3 guys, drives off with their van and starts tripping to the song playing on the radio, I could rewatch the film endlessly. Costner is so damn badass here, whether when he beats someone to death with a lamp, or punches someone in the face for making fun of him, or beats the crap out of a goon with an axe, Costner is a force to be reckoned with. Great soundtrack too, and as with Costner's previous action film, '3 Days To Kill', it features an awesome ending song. The film really flies by, almost non stop action, with several very good quieter moments to show Costner's tender side. Not forgetting the film also features Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Oldman, who are always awesome to watch. Not the best action film by a long shot, but still hugely enjoyable. I hope to see more films like this in the near future where Kevin Costner beats the crap out of bad guys.