The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, agreed. SNL hasn't been funny in a long time.

Hmmm, funny, because I found it hilariously funny :D.

Not me! Can't recall the last time I thought SNL was consistently funny.
  • But still he ran on a Democratic ticket? How does that work?

I'm not sure -- but it didn't surprise me at all that the Democratic Party bigwigs were biased for the candidate who was actually a member of the Democratic Party!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've seen some SNL sketches, including the presidential debates, and found none of them funny. I put it down to the difference in UK / US senses of humour.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SNL stopped being funny long ago. It should be put down at this point.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've seen some SNL sketches, including the presidential debates, and found none of them funny. I put it down to the difference in UK / US senses of humour.

Being an American, I've found myself enjoying UK humor much, much more over the last five years or so. Most American comedy today relies on the same few, tired tropes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's ironic that the area where the US president has the most influence is foreign policy, especially these days when Congress has basically abdicated its war declaration duties.

Yet foreign policy is an area about which most American voters are uninterested or lacking in knowledge.

Instead they vote mainly on pocket book issues and on the basis of character or personality.
  • With his long histroy of making outrageous statements, you'd think that Trump would have known better. But no. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/watch-trump-say-true-when-called-a-sexual-predator-in-2006_us_5804d258e4b0162c043cd864?section=&;
  • Now, we all know that The Donald doesn't really mean what he says -- he's just playing a character on TeeVee. Unfortunately, it seems that some of his followers don't realize that it's all just an act, and they think he means it when he says the election is rigged against him. What's a patriotic American to do?http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/17/kansas_militia_plot_to_kill_muslims_shows_that_we_have_good_reason_to_be.html
    Goodness, surely he is playing a game, but to think, Hilary is NOT lying through her teeth is incredibly naive AND dangerous.
    This election really makes me miss Obama already.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    After all I have read here @bondjames still is the most sane of you all and almost the only one with a grip on reality it seems.

I still would vote Hillary but only because the Republican Party is a shadow of its former self and is held hostage by the Tea Party since almost a decade now.

The real tragedy here is that someone as manipulate, lying and potentially dangerous as Hillary has made it that far without being stopped, she could very well be more damaging to the world than Dick Cheney was.
    People are afraid of a new war if Trump gets elected??
    He would never convince Congress to green light anything. Hillary would.
    You could have Jesus on the US throne, it wouldn't matter as long as he is just a marionette. None of them is free to do what they want. So - even IF one of them wants to do something that is actually helpful, would be stopped right at the start, if it doesn't please the industry and co. Which most of the time doesn't. So - in the end, they need to stop whoring with the indutry and co and free themselves. As long as they take their money, they have to obey. As long as they legalize something like Monsanto, which is known to poison and hence kill with their products and chemicals, they are nothing but Apes in a cage. Never mind who it is. All the same. Its not different in Europe. Merkel is the same shit.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I think it's all a total shambles - whatever the outcome of the election America will lose big time.
    stag wrote: »
    I think it's all a total shambles - whatever the outcome of the election America will lose big time.

Not America alone. The world. As long as the US wants to BE the world, when it has become so much less.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote: »
    stag wrote: »

Not America alone. The world. As long as the US wants to BE the world, when it has become so much less.

As a hegemonic power, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we look inward on on our country to rebuild domestically, we're a callous isolationist nation that has turned its back on the rest of the world and its problems. If we continue as we have and give aid where it's needed to essentially police and sustain the struggling all around the globe, we drain ourselves dry and are called a negative world power when things don't resolve themselves optimistically, which is a rather implausible outcome anyway.
    Brady, you have to understand but won't, that the holy US is NOT helping the rest of the world, its bringing war to the rest of the world - more then any other nation. I am sure, there are as many background infos in english as there are in German. You only have to understand the background of what happens in Syria. That alone would be enough to stop thinking of this country as a holy grail. But there is so much else, where clearly the US - for oil and gasoline - destabilized countries. Of course, they are not totally alone in doing this, but right now, they are the evil in this, our world. Much more then Russia or anybody. And Hilary is totally in this system and will continue to do that - because, like I said, she cannot do anything else, if she wants to become president. Trump is closer to Russia, which is good, as he MIGHT stop with all the nonsense left at Russias doorsteps to finally get their war, which will be fought on OUR boders, not yours. Holy shit, for F*** sake, why does this seem so hard to understand. Because people don't WANT it to be true? Seems the only reason I can think of. I have seen pics with Pro Russian banners in your own country. But don't ask me where. I won't find it again. Why? Because the media would NEVER really report about a thing like this. That's forbidden, as it is everywhere. The media control the news you can listen to. Your hear, what they want you to hear and obviously most here think, its the truth.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Germanlady, you shouldn't have exerted the effort to compose that post, as it's recycled stuff we've all heard from you before, quite frankly. It always essentially boils down to you saying everyone but you is blind to what is going on, at which point you use a lot of capital letters and lose any connection with a coherent argument in the process.

There's a lot you're not understanding, either. Nowhere in my post did I state a love for my country; in fact, I'm one of the most "unpatriotic" Americans you'll find, which I get shit for all the time from my compatriots. You don't know me at all if you seriously think I would ever call America a "holy grail" nation.

Oy, why bother...
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    You could have Jesus on the US throne, it wouldn't matter as long as he is just a marionette. None of them is free to do what they want. So - even IF one of them wants to do something that is actually helpful, would be stopped right at the start, if it doesn't please the industry and co. Which most of the time doesn't. So - in the end, they need to stop whoring with the indutry and co and free themselves. As long as they take their money, they have to obey. As long as they legalize something like Monsanto, which is known to poison and hence kill with their products and chemicals, they are nothing but Apes in a cage. Never mind who it is. All the same. Its not different in Europe. Merkel is the same shit.

Not to open the Religion Debate in this thread (we've managed to discuss politics here for months without getting shut down, thank you all for that minor miracle!) -- but if you really believe your first bolded point above, GL, then I'd suggest that you really don't understand Jesus in the slightest. I suspect you're just using the name as a rhetorical device.

Regarding your second bolded point: a few months back, I addressed it by quoting Willie Brown (a legendary force in California politics) who has often spoken of advice given him by his own political mentor: "If you can't take their money, eat their food, drink their liquor, screw their women, and vote against them the next morning, then you don't belong here (i.e., in politics.)" Do I believe that Hillary can take their money, eat their food, drink their liquor, let Bill screw their women, and then vote against them the next morning? Damn right I do! She obviously does belong in politics -- it's a dirty game, sad to say, and she's been playing it all her life!
    It doesn't get more savage than the political arena, that's for sure. I think you'd find many battlefields more hospitable in comparison. At least in war all you have to worry about is getting shot or blown up by an enemy. In politics those enemies can burn, shame, discredit and slander you along with your family, your friends, and everyone you've ever known in the dirtiest, lowest ways imaginable. There's no place for respect, and that means no rules and no limitations.
    It doesn't get more savage than the political arena, that's for sure. I think you'd find many battlefields more hospitable in comparison. At least in war all you have to worry about is getting shot or blown up by an enemy. In politics those enemies can burn, shame, discredit and slander you along with your family, your friends, and everyone you've ever known in the dirtiest, lowest ways imaginable. There's no place for respect, and that means no rules and no limitations.

That is American politics you are talking about. In the civilized world we are more reasonable with each other.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 6,601
    You are dead wrong Beatles,if you think Hilary or any president has that choice. They CANNOT take the money and then s*** them. That ends deadly.

@ Brady. You wrote this, which ticks all the wrong boxes IMO, showing America as a sad victim, who can't win, whatever it does. And you describe your nation as the hero coming to help.
    As a hegemonic power, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we look inward on on our country to rebuild domestically, we're a callous isolationist nation that has turned its back on the rest of the world and its problems. If we continue as we have and give aid where it's needed to essentially police and sustain the struggling all around the globe, we drain ourselves dry and are called a negative world power when things don't resolve themselves optimistically, which is a rather implausible outcome anyway.

Yes they do - they help - where they themselves inflicted the problem beforehand. Oil and Gas. They or any of the other big nations would NOT go any place for just humanity. Look at Africa and elsewhere, where there is nothing of value for them. Nobody cares. They can kill themselves until the end of time. So - no help, where its needed, just "help" to conquer the land and take the sources of value. Mind you, like I said, that is not just America.
    It seems the race in Utah will be very very interesting. McMullins there is basically tied with Clinton and Trump.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    You are dead wrong Beatles,if you think Hilary or any president has that choice. They CANNOT take the money and then s*** them. That ends deadly.

Campaign contribution etc aren't made by the mob. They're made by businessmen. Businessmen screw each other all the time. It's not deadly. "It's just business."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's not deadly. "It's just business."
    Don't you want to know why?
    We're in a changing dynamic in the world's 4 largest democracies. It's not sliced down the middle with conservative and liberal, but rather horizontally with the haves and have nots. The Brexit vote was first and now the U. S., with France and Germany coming soon. The have nots don't feel the govt. listens to them and those in power are in it just to enrich their wallets.

As to our GermanLady asserting that the U. S. is worse than the Russia. Which country jails and kills its citizens for speaking out against the govt.? Bah humbug.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    FLeiter wrote: »
    The have nots don't feel the govt. listens to them and those in power are in it just to enrich their wallets.
    The more things change, eh?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,189
    I think we all know who has been hacking the DNC emails for WikiLeaks...

giphy.gif
    I think we all know who has been hacking the DNC emails for WikiLeaks...

giphy.gif

Makes sense. It took 21 years for Boris to unfreeze, but now he's back...with a vengeance!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    It's not deadly. "It's just business."
    Don't you want to know why?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, @chris. Why it's not deadly? Why it's just business? Why do fools fall in love?
This discussion has been closed.