The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I started reading, but it s just too sickening.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Republican party as we know it is dead. They just don't know it yet. It's been painful watching it die, but necessary.

Much as I hate to disagree with you in your hour of grief, the Republican party isn't dead yet. They still have plenty of Congresscritters who can refuse to even consider any Supreme Court justice put forward by any Democratic President.
    Indeed, and I would expect no less. That's not what I meant by it being dead. It is philosophically dead (in terms of what it espouses presidentially as opposed to congressionally) and has been exposed for the empty vessel it has been for some time on that front.

The Tea Party fringe now has a voice and will have its best showing ever electorally in presidential terms, and it will become more vocal post-election.

The same thing will happen on the left, once Hillary betrays the Berners (and I'm quite certain she will once she has no need for them).

I believe that we are headed towards bifurcation on both ends of the spectrum, unless another 'healer' and 'uniter' can be found. It won't be your gal, that much I can assure you of. She hasn't got the skills.

I don't claim to have the crystal ball that you and some others here evidently have. Will she lead us into a war with Russia or stoke a second American Civil War? I dunno. Tell me where you bought your crystal ball, all I've got is this old Magic 8-Ball that seems stuck on "Ask Again." But I would suggest that none of us should underestimate Hillary's skills. Campaigning has never been her strong suit and she's still done it well enough the humiliate the Donald.
    There are certain skills Hillary certainly has that I will never underestimate. She has amply demonstrated them here during this bitter campaign, as she did during the Obama 2008 fight. Those skills have always been her forte. Machiavelli would have been proud.

Uniting a country is not one of them.

I think you’re misunderestimating Hillary already. By all accounts she was very effective in working across the aisle back when she was a senator. If anything, you should be hoping for a steadily-diminshing role for the Tea Party, who’ve been instrumental in fomenting the partisan divide the plagues us. Even among fellow Republicans, the TPers have been a nuisance, first chasing John Boehner from his position as Speaker of the House and now causing Paul Ryan endless headaches. The TP was the first flowering of the poisonous plant that gave us Herr Drumpf. Now that he’s (soon-to-be) gone we’ll need to rip up the TeaSnarky by their roots & give them back to their true masters & instigators, the infamous Koch Brothers.
    I don't hope for this. I'm not a Tea Partier by any means, but their views and interests are just as important as those of the Occupier's (who found a voice with Bernie). They've just found a voice with Trump. Dismissing them is not the right move, and that's been Hillary's approach. She has made no effort to reach out beyond her corporate interests except to appease the Berners (purely in order to win an election I might add).

She has had every opportunity to rise beyond the divisiveness of this campaign and show that she could unite and she hasn't tried to. I don't see how she will be able to after she wins.

Most laughable quote of this campaign not caught on a hot mic:
    "When they go low, we go high!"

Cough.

• These are the ones Hillary called "deplorable" and got flak for it. If you ask me, she wasn't being harsh enough. These people are reprehensible and there's no "uniting the country" possible when you're dealing with evil scum like this.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 7,653
    That is the darker side of the internet for you which allows people to terrorise others by hiding in the anonymity of the internet. I cannot believe than anybody with half a brain would not condone this.
    But then again as this election is showing there are some dumb and vile people about and their leader the Pumpkin does not mind them doing that instead of telling his followers to have some dignity and morals.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    The Republican party as we know it is dead. They just don't know it yet. It's been painful watching it die, but necessary.

Much as I hate to disagree with you in your hour of grief, the Republican party isn't dead yet. They still have plenty of Congresscritters who can refuse to even consider any Supreme Court justice put forward by any Democratic President.
    Indeed, and I would expect no less. That's not what I meant by it being dead. It is philosophically dead (in terms of what it espouses presidentially as opposed to congressionally) and has been exposed for the empty vessel it has been for some time on that front.

The Tea Party fringe now has a voice and will have its best showing ever electorally in presidential terms, and it will become more vocal post-election.

The same thing will happen on the left, once Hillary betrays the Berners (and I'm quite certain she will once she has no need for them).

I believe that we are headed towards bifurcation on both ends of the spectrum, unless another 'healer' and 'uniter' can be found. It won't be your gal, that much I can assure you of. She hasn't got the skills.

I don't claim to have the crystal ball that you and some others here evidently have. Will she lead us into a war with Russia or stoke a second American Civil War? I dunno. Tell me where you bought your crystal ball, all I've got is this old Magic 8-Ball that seems stuck on "Ask Again." But I would suggest that none of us should underestimate Hillary's skills. Campaigning has never been her strong suit and she's still done it well enough the humiliate the Donald.
    There are certain skills Hillary certainly has that I will never underestimate. She has amply demonstrated them here during this bitter campaign, as she did during the Obama 2008 fight. Those skills have always been her forte. Machiavelli would have been proud.

I think you’re misunderestimating Hillary already. By all accounts she was very effective in working across the aisle back when she was a senator. If anything, you should be hoping for a steadily-diminshing role for the Tea Party, who’ve been instrumental in fomenting the partisan divide the plagues us. Even among fellow Republicans, the TPers have been a nuisance, first chasing John Boehner from his position as Speaker of the House and now causing Paul Ryan endless headaches. The TP was the first flowering of the poisonous plant that gave us Herr Drumpf. Now that he’s (soon-to-be) gone we’ll need to rip up the TeaSnarky by their roots & give them back to their true masters & instigators, the infamous Koch Brothers.
    I don't hope for this. I'm not a Tea Partier by any means, but their views and interests are just as important as those of the Occupier's (who found a voice with Bernie). They've just found a voice with Trump. Dismissing them is not the right move, and that's been Hillary's approach. She has made no effort to reach out beyond her corporate interests except to appease the Berners (purely in order to win an election I might add).

She has had every opportunity to rise beyond the divisiveness of this campaign and show that she could unite and she hasn't tried to. I don't see how she will be able to after she wins.

Cough.

The election isn't even over yet. She hasn't actually won or taken the office at this point in time. I think you're a little premature in your expectations here. Let Hillary at least attain the office in question before she can be expected to fix everything overnight. You want to see the country unite? Fine. Let's see you (or the right wing in general) do something to force the abhorrent alt-right slime discussed above to crawl back under the rock that Herr Drumf found them under. Or are we supposed to think that "their views and interests are just as important" as the 99% of decent Americans?

Cough.

The election isn't even over yet. She hasn't actually won or taken the office at this point in time. I think you're a little premature in your expectations here. Let Hillary at least attain the office in question before she can be expected to fix everything overnight. You want to see the country unite? Fine. Let's see you (or the right wing in general) do something to force the abhorrent alt-right slime discussed above to crawl back under the rock that Herr Drumf found them under. Or are we supposed to think that "their views and interests are just as important" as the 99% of decent Americans?

The GOP primary season that will kick off sometime in the summer of 2019 will possibly be the most important primary season in modern politics. That will be the last gasp chance for the potty trained Republicans to step up, grow a spine, and put the Tea Party in their place. Whoever the supposed "establishment" Republicans that run are, be it Kasich, Bush, Rubio, or whoever else, they need to stand up, tell the Tea Partiers that we tried it your way and it almost (or did) destroyed the party and sent the country on a downward spiral into an election the likes of which only less developed countries have the misfortune of enduring, and that the party, and the nation, are going in a different, less divisive, direction.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    oh in 2019, 2020 respectively Sarah Palin will probably get the ticket. With Newt Gingrich as her running mate.
    Or vice versa. With that party, everything is possible.
    I can't imagine that Palin has much of a future left in the party (or politics in general), outside of a small fringe of the far-right. The sane member of the party abandoned her either immediately after the 2008 election or in the year or two following it. Her rambling, often incoherent support of Donald Trump this time around has, I think (hope), taken away whatever small sliver of credibility she had with any segment of the party.

Gingrich might end up having a hard time as well. If there's a backlash against the whole Trump fiasco, as there should be, then I would have to imagine that those that supported Trump, especially those who did so as enthusiastically as Gingrich did, may find the sledding a bit tough in 2020, and especially so for Gingrich since it's been an uphill climb for him in 2012 as a presidential nominee and in 2016 as a Trump surrogate and a failed potential VP nominee.
    Surely Trump has blown it now?!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Surely Trump has blown it now?!!!

One would think and hope so. His only chance now is that the Democratic base gets overconfident and complacent, thinking they have it in the bag, and don't show up to support their nominee on election day. That's really his only chance at this point. Sadly, though, it could realistically happen.

• I really don't think there's much chance of the Democratic base not turning out for this election. We're going to do our best at this point to turn out every D vote for the House and the Senate that we possibly can, in order to break the gridlock that has prevented the Supreme Court nominee from getting a hearing. It ain't over yet, not by a long shot...and the Democratic base is well aware of that.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I really don't think there's much chance of the Democratic base not turning out for this election. We're going to do our best at this point to turn out every D vote for the House and the Senate that we possibly can, in order to break the gridlock that has prevented the Supreme Court nominee from getting a hearing. It ain't over yet, not by a long shot...and the Democratic base is well aware of that.

I agree. Even the 'Bernie or bust' clan has to see how dangerous having a POTUS like Trump would be for us & the world.
    I really don't think there's much chance of the Democratic base not turning out for this election. We're going to do our best at this point to turn out every D vote for the House and the Senate that we possibly can, in order to break the gridlock that has prevented the Supreme Court nominee from getting a hearing. It ain't over yet, not by a long shot...and the Democratic base is well aware of that.

I would tend to agree, but you never know what the lesser-engaged section of the electorate is going to do. Those that tend to closely follow the political process, if they are so inclined to vote Democrat, will show up to defeat Trump. It's the rest of the base that would concern me if I were a Democrat.

I think in the end they will show up, but you never know. There's also the chance that Trump could continue his all-out assault on decency, fair play, and respect for the office he's seeking like he has over the past couple of weeks to the point that it completely poisons the political atmosphere and turns a lot of people off to the idea of participating in the election.

The safe money is that Clinton wins, and does so somewhat decisively. If she does, I don't see it being a close race like those in 2000, 2004, and 2012 ended up being. But, this whole process has been unpredictable and has gone against every convention of American politics, so anything truly is possible. Trump has been counted out several times before by the media...
  • dalton wrote: »

I would tend to agree, but you never know what the lesser-engaged section of the electorate is going to do. Those that tend to closely follow the political process, if they are so inclined to vote Democrat, will show up to defeat Trump. It's the rest of the base that would concern me if I were a Democrat.

I think in the end they will show up, but you never know. There's also the chance that Trump could continue his all-out assault on decency, fair play, and respect for the office he's seeking like he has over the past couple of weeks to the point that it completely poisons the political atmosphere and turns a lot of people off to the idea of participating in the election.

The safe money is that Clinton wins, and does so somewhat decisively. If she does, I don't see it being a close race like those in 2000, 2004, and 2012 ended up being. But, this whole process has been unpredictable and has gone against every convention of American politics, so anything truly is possible. Trump has been counted out several times before by the media...

My concern is for the actions of the Trump loyalists after the debacle has ended, if Trump continues to insist the election was rigged against him. Polls show over 70% of the people who intend to vote for him believe that the process is indeed rigged against him, and if he does indeed get around 40% of the votes cast then that's a whole lot of people who might very well be inclined to consider "Second Amendment remedies" to the prospect of addressing Hillary as Madame President. The course Trump has been taking of late is one with potentially dire consequences for the country -- not that he would care, of course. If he's willing to scorch the Trump Brand as badly as he's been doing then he's willing to see the whole US of A consumed in the resulting bonfire. Trump Network? Trump Wetwork!
    You may want to consider the other alternative as well. Namely Mr. Trump as 45th president. I would expect Hillary supporters to be on their best behaviour should such a scenario present itself.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mr. Trump as 45th president.
    My condolences on your recent brain cell loss.

=))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Mr. Trump as 45th president.
    My condolences on your recent brain cell loss.

=))
    Indeed. According to the polls you have nothing to worry about. I hope for your sake that they're right.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    You may want to consider the other alternative as well. Namely Mr. Trump as 45th president. I would expect Hillary supporters to be on their best behaviour should such a scenario present itself.

Should such a scenario present itself, we will well & truly have found ourselves in the Bizarro Universe. Still, you have nothing to fear from Hillary's supporters in such a scenario as she hasn't been trying to psyche them up for the need to execute or even jail her opponent.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2016 Posts: 12,459

a few pictures there, scroll down a bit. Target shot: 434 retweets, 178 'likes'.

So. The hate and bigotry is still building. For Clinton. For the press. For immigrants and refugees. For different people of faith.

How my country handles this vile hate and bigotry is either going to one of our finest hours (yes, taking a note from Churchill for a moment) ... or one of undying shame.

and this go together:

This clip has been around since August. Maybe you've seen it. I'm not including it for amusement (in spite of the music). Not at all.

https://twitter.com/petemont/status/

a few pictures there, scroll down a bit.

Disturbing.
    And I mean for hatred, violence, bigotry from any group towards any people - whether from hard core alt right extreme Trump supporters or from other groups.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I can't wait until this election is over.
    And I mean for hatred, violence, bigotry from any group towards any people - whether from hard core alt right extreme Trump supporters or from other groups.

They should have already, but when this election is over the Secret Service and/or FBI should investigate the Trump campaign for their possible incitement of these types of things at their rallies. The picture that you linked to on Twitter, before it was taken down, was absolutely shameful and doesn't have a place in American politics.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I can't wait until this election is over.

You're not the only one. The entire country is going to need a long shower to wash away the filth of this disgrace.

Another lovely sketch :-P:
  • Thanks for posting that for the benefit those (like me) who aren't watching TV around midnight. What can I say? -- with my eyes closed I can generally see something more interesting than Saturday Night Live. At least once during this skit DJT's lines were taken verbatim from his actual response at the "real" debate. I didn't laugh when Trump himself said it -- why should I laugh when the "not-best Baldwin brother" repeats it?
    The SNL parodies have been largely disappointing. The first one featuring Baldwin as Trump (after the 1st debate) was brilliant and Baldwin did a phenomenal job as Trump. Since then, it's been terrible. Just terrible.
  • dalton wrote: »
    The SNL parodies have been largely disappointing. The first one featuring Baldwin as Trump (after the 1st debate) was brilliant and Baldwin did a phenomenal job as Trump. Since then, it's been terrible. Just terrible.

True, but look what he's got to work with. Aside from that "lurking in the background" bit in the second debate, Trump hasn't been very funny. I was a bit disappointed they didn't do anything with his over-the-top "I'm just going to keep you in suspense, OK?" moment or the amazingly childish "I'm not a puppet -- YOU'RE the puppet!" retort this time around, but I guess Tom Hanks asking the entire planet to stifle our laughter at Trump's claim that he respects women is the best we're going to get. Thank God our long national nightmare is almost over, and there won't be a 4th debate for them to parody.
    @dalton, it is up - half my link not copied right later. Here is the link
    (Hillary as target)

And article about paper being threatened, reporters lives, etc. because they endorsed Clinton.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/2016/10/16/publisher-response-to-threats-after-republic-endorsement-clinton-trump/92058964/
    I'll just add that I do like that the First Amendment is written on their wall.
  • I trust the Secret Service is already investigating some of these people. If they want to call themselves "Deplorables," well fine, no biggie. If they want to put Hillary's face in a rifle scope, not so fine. Anybody here remember Gabrielle Giffords? When oh when is the mass of the Republican party going to dissociate itself from these dangerous lunatics?
    The First Amendment:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-i/the-establishment-clause-hamilton-and-mcconnell/interp/31
This discussion has been closed.