The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

The was more class and insight within the first lady's speech yesterday than within the whole Trump campaign
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2016 Posts: 12,459
    True. It's in this link. I just watched it, actually.   
    I know it means little but my gut reaction is that Michelle is a better person than either of the candidates.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 7,500
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I think this, along with Brexit, has just informed me that most people don't want to be told what to do or what to think, or are not prepared to change their minds. They have preconceived ideas and agendas and just look for a mouthpiece to clamour behind.

Trump could do anything and a large percentage of his followers would be unmoved.

Really we just need statesmanlike politicians who behave like human beings.

Voldemort could be the GOPs candidate for president, and all the deplorables would still stand behind. That is the sad truth. And yes, deplorable is what they are. They don't care about facts or politics, its all an ideological war on the devilish Democrats...

And while they swallow all the lies of the Republican propaganda machine, they blame the media for being left wing. It's insane.

The Republican party is the biggest threat to America. It is about time people realize that.
    Stupidity is the biggest threat to America (and many other countries). Democracy takes certain things for granted. Once the stupidity level reaches a certain thresh hold, democracy becomes a dangerous proposition.

The USA is a stunnng place, I have been lucky enought to tour around the country twice (train and greyhound bus). I met some wonderful (and not so wonderful people) and saw many amazing things.

But it does seem to be going down the pan pretty quickly. You dont have to have that bigger an imagination to see how a civil war would start.

Social division, poverty, racism within law enforcement, a selection of pretty dreadful politicains, guns onni-present and the afformentioned stupidity. Its not a very good combination.

You can only wonder what great minds such as Thomas Paine or Mark Twain would make of it. I suspect, they would weep.
  • patb wrote: »
    You can only wonder what great minds such as Thomas Paine or Mark Twain would make of it. I suspect, they would weep.

I can't hazard a guess re: Tom Paine, but Mark Twain would be having a field day. Satire flourishes in fields of BS such as we've been given this go-round.
    jobo wrote: »
    Voldemort could be the GOPs candidate for president, and all the deplorables would still stand behind. That is the sad truth.

For about a decade now, I have been the proud owner of a red-white-&-blue bumper sticker that reads, "Republicans for Voldemort." No brag, just fact.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    patb wrote: »
    Stupidity is the biggest threat to America (and many other countries). Democracy takes certain things for granted. Once the stupidity level reaches a certain thresh hold, democracy becomes a dangerous proposition.

The USA is a stunnng place, I have been lucky enought to tour around the country twice (train and greyhound bus). I met some wonderful (and not so wonderful people) and saw many amazing things.

But it does seem to be going down the pan pretty quickly. You dont have to have that bigger an imagination to see how a civil war would start.

Social division, poverty, racism within law enforcement, a selection of pretty dreadful politicains, guns onni-present and the afformentioned stupidity. Its not a very good combination.

I agree @patb. I think me only question would be: how do we define/quanitify the "stupidity" of which we're discussing? Or are we talking about ignorance?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I almost wish Trump would get into the White House.

After those four years the Republicans would be out of the White House for at least three decades, that alone would be worth it.
    Unless the Reps actually would reform their party, but it'll sooner snow in Texas in July I guess.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,600
    yes, fair point but there usually a correlation between the two. The other factor I would mention is a lack of social cohesion and, in addition, people looking at what is best for them ("I want a gun") rather than what's best for the nation (USA not unique in this). Saunders made a brave effort at trying to reverse the trend and appealed to those who had a vision based around society rather than the individual but his run really was "against all odds", it was very sad that Clinton did not see that BS had something genuine to offer and some of his is policies could have been taken on board but, looking at Clinton's campaign now, there is hardly any sign of BS's influence. If there is potential for the Democrats to gain complete control, it's a great opportunity to make genuine changes, something the current president naver had the freedom to do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is all BS.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @patb, the Democrats are not the solution to the problem. Neither are the Republicans. Neither was Sanders and neither 'was' (I say was because I think it's probably over for him bar a miracle) Trump.

They are all part of the problem and they are all part of the solution.

What is required are practical solutions based on compromise, discussion and 'give and take'. Not ideology. Trump has raised some extremely valid points about the state of play, as has Sanders. What is ironic and somewhat regrettable is that these issues are being brushed under the carpet in order to maintain the current order which benefits a few.

It is a severe mistake to blame everything on the Republicans. The Democratic party as it currently stands is as much to blame for the current mess in the US as are the Republicans.

When one has the sitting president using his bully pulpit to lambast and denigrate members of Congress for supporting the Republican nominee for president (as he did yesterday), he is not helping matters. A far cry from 'hope and change'.
    Interesting post and we are drifting but what is politics without ideology? What are the core values that drive you? what is the vision that you are working towards? surely, if you just want compromise and problem solving, you close down politics and hand the running of the country over to the administrators? Is not offering voters ideological choices part of democracy?
    Seriously @bondjames, this is ridiculous! It is the Republicans who have been boicotting any compromise or practical solution through out Obama's entire period in office. Their objective has not been to fix the mess they themselves created and work together for a better America. On the contrary they opposed to practically all of Obama's suggestions to make sure they would have a better chance of reelection, at the same time blaming the democratic party for everything wrong, including what was left from the Bush administration. Those are the facts. The campaign to discredit Obama and later Hillary has been nothing short of vicious, beginning with the birth certificate mess and ending with the latest claims that Hillary is the devil herself. What matters to the Republicans is to preserve their power, any cooperation has been abandoned, any progressive change boicotted. The conservatives strangle hold on the nation is the basis of almost all the problems in the US. I am not exaggerating.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    Interesting post and we are drifting but what is politics without ideology? What are the core values that drive you? what is the vision that you are working towards? surely, if you just want compromise and problem solving, you close down politics and hand the running of the country over to the administrators? Is not offering voters ideological choices part of democracy?
    Yes of course it is, but it has gone to extremes in the US. The democratic system has been hijacked by those who play to people's fears rather than their aspirations. The press plays into this as well. Sensationalism rules for ratings. Measured and intelligent discourse is dead. It's a function of 'big money' which is corrupting everything in the US. There are conflicts of interest everywhere you look. One never sees an interesting debate on anything substantive on US networks anymore. Even 10 years ago, we did.

Fortunately, this does not seem to have afflicted Britain yet (the last debates I watched in detail were during the 2010 elections, and they were superb - a far cry from the childish & unspecific rubbish which we have seen in the US over the past 3 or 4 electoral cycles).

You are correct that the 'ignorance' of the population plays into it. People just aren't all that interested in learning about the issues. So everything becomes personality, sensationalism or fear driven.

Given the crisis the US is in at the moment, technocrats are exactly what is required (just like what was needed in Italy some years back).
  • While DJT Senior seems to have finally hit rock bottom, let's not forget that there's a second generation of Trumps that was being primed for politics a few months back. Here, then, the words of Donald Trump Jr. on the topic of women, harrassment, and the workplace: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-jr-women-harrassment-workforce_us_5800b9bbe4b0162c043b532e?section=&;
  • Get ready for the armed Trump supporters coming soon to YOUR Town! (Think I'm kidding? Some things just aren't funny...) http://www.salon.com/2016/10/14/armed-donald-trump-supporters-caught-menacing-democratic-campaign-office/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Boy I wish all those people could be rounded up along with Donald and be dumped on some island with a huge wall built around it. Oh and paid for By Donald himself.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 45,489
    The Clowns should kidnap them both. Take over your country, Americans. Don t let either of these buffoons rule you.
    It does snow in parts of Texas at times. Rarely. I think.

Bye for now ... ;)
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    @patb, the Democrats are not the solution to the problem. Neither are the Republicans. Neither was Sanders and neither 'was' (I say was because I think it's probably over for him bar a miracle) Trump.

They are all part of the problem and they are all part of the solution.

What is required are practical solutions based on compromise, discussion and 'give and take'. Not ideology. Trump has raised some extremely valid points about the state of play, as has Sanders. What is ironic and somewhat regrettable is that these issues are being brushed under the carpet in order to maintain the current order which benefits a few.

It is a severe mistake to blame everything on the Republicans. The Democratic party as it currently stands is as much to blame for the current mess in the US as are the Republicans.

When one has the sitting president using his bully pulpit to lambast and denigrate members of Congress for supporting the Republican nominee for president (as he did yesterday), he is not helping matters. A far cry from 'hope and change'.

I think you forget many important things here. While Trump has raised some valid points during the primary season right until the conventions, he himself is at the same time the reason complicated issues and ideas to solve problems weren't discussed.

In all honesty, when I started posting in here, I posted things about the issues, I posted images of where both candidates stand with solutions and ideas, and I posted links to sites like https://www.isidewith.com/polls. You mostly ignored to go 'into the deep' about these issues. It took me a very long time to discover that you, as a businessman/worker, are frequently travelling between your stay in Canada and your place in the USA.

Why is that important? Because our personal lives are influenced by what will be decided in Washington DC. So if you want to talk about the issues, then actually TALK about them. Sadly, you blame others for derailing good debates about the issues, when actually populists like Trump blatantly ignore to talk about the complexities and solutions of our society. And instead, at the start of this election cycle, you kept focusing on the person instead of the issues. You kept seeing Trump as the better alternative than Clinton, despite the fact he has now seriously turned into a cat being forced in a corner.

At least Hillary has shown true decency by admitting a loss gracefully, like she did during the 2008 primaries.

I agree with you that it's not one of the two parties that should be blamed for all the problems we have. That's why on several occasions I said we are all responsible for the mess we are in: Democrats, Republicans, independents, bankers, farmers, industrial workers, housewives, philosophers, oil barons, firefighters, policemen, mums, dads, everyone. We all have the responsibility to be careful with our finances. We all have the possibility to not sign a mortgage contract. We all choose elected officials to make laws that continue to derail our financial/capitalist system. We all can be more self-critical and empower ourselves first, before seeing the devil in either Hillary or Trump.

So as long as we fail to be self-critical and come up with solutions from the ground-up, starting here in this topic, then we continue poisoning our own democracies.

Yes, Trump is for a large part a result of all the mess. But make no mistake, there comes a time that even Trump has to become serious on issues. He didn't. His campaign severely imploded after 'pussygate', and for a large part he himself is to blame for that.

Trump has raised some extreme valid points yes, but sadly with narcissist populists like Trump it will only stay at these 'valid points' and they won't be translated into complex policies and solutions to problems. Mr Trump himself had the chance to change that, but in the past two weeks he showed his true self.

Lastly, like Michelle Obama said yesterday, there's also something like 'human decency'. Mr Trump has proven in the past two weeks that he hasn't got that. So what do you do? Stay silent on that? You accuse president Obama of 'denigrating' Republicans. Again, his verbal style is a perfect example of addressing core values about human decency. That's a far cry from this:

https://politicalwire.com/2016/10/14/trumps-heated-rhetoric-has-no-precedent/
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-vitriol-229819
    Trump’s Heated Rhetoric Has No Precedent

New York Times: “On Thursday and Friday alone, Mr. Trump unleashed a barrage of near-apocalyptic warnings about the potential destruction of the country, broad accusations about the illegitimacy of American democracy, and crude innuendo about his opponent that is almost without precedent in modern presidential history.

He warned that Hillary Clinton was conspiring with financiers to destroy American sovereignty, claimed the fate of civilization depended on his victory and ridiculed the appearance of the one of the women accusing him of sexual harassment, while also deriding Mrs. Clinton’s looks and saying she ought to be in prison. He also said the presidential election amounted to ‘a big ugly lie.'”

While delighting his partisans, Mr. Trump’s rhetorical shooting spree has enraged Democrats and unnerved many Republicans, who believe he is acting out a political death wish.

And you keep ignoring that @BondJames. When I hear you talking I generally hear one big giant appeasement speech towards Mr Trump. I know established elected public officials can do no good in your eyes, but if there's someone spewing fear and hate at this very moment, then it's not Baracak Obama, Hillary Clinton or Michelle Obama. Then it's certainly Mr Trump.

As long as we ignore that, sooner or later we elect another Mussolini, Mugabe, Duterte, Pinochet, Maduro, Zhirinovsky or Putin. Rude comparisons? I think not. They are very valid comparisons. This election isn't a sham, like Trump said. It has now become a true democratic election about human decency. And Trump may well have caused that himself in the past two weeks.

And the issues? Go to https://www.isidewith.com/polls. I strongly recommend everyone in here to have a look at it.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 12,459
    delete :)
    @Gustav_Graves once again you make assumptions and distort my views. A pity.

My last post actually summarizes this entire thread and its quality.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Gustav is always after you, just as The Wizard is always after him. It s a bit cartoonish.
    I've learnt to live with it. The hyperbole is always worth a laugh.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 3,564
    @bondjames: "...technocrats are exactly what is required." "My last post actually summarizes this entire thread and its quality."

My, my. A little full of ourselves today, aren't we? You and you alone know exactly what is required. You and you alone can summarize the entire 141 pages of this dialogue in 4 short paragraphs. Amazing!

As far off of understanding your views as @Gustav may or may not be, he's correct on one essential point: you've been supporting Trump throughout most of this thread's existence. If Gustav and I and everybody else reading this thread misunderstands your point, then maybe it's because you've been trying to straddle the issue like some sort of (dare I say it?) politician. You've finally given up on believing that he has any chance of winning the presidency, but I have yet to hear you state that he would be a bad choice for the office.

@bondjames: "When one has the sitting president using his bully pulpit to lambast and denigrate members of Congress for supporting the Republican nominee for president (as he did yesterday), he is not helping matters." Sometimes, my friend...sometimes you miss the point so startlingly I wonder if it's intentional. The Republicans of Congress from the very beginning of Obama's tenure as president made it a point to try and make his presidency a failure. In that, they themselves failed utterly. At this point in time, it's a little late for President Obama and the Republicans of Congress to kiss & make up...so all that's left for Obama to do is to help the Democratic party take the reins of power in Washington as completely as possible, so that the next incoming President can actually try to get something done on behalf of the American people. Scant chance of that, of course -- the Republican party has made it clear that they'll be doing everything they can to find something, anything, to hang Hillary over, so we're likely to be seeing four (or maybe eight) more years of the same old gridlock. Still, it's only natural for Obama to want to rub the Republicans' noses into the awful offal that they've laid before the American public in the form of a presidential nominee.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This just in: Trump wants him and Clinton to take a mandatory drug test right before the third debate.

You can't make this shit up. The level of self-parody is too high!
  • I guess the rumors of cocaine use (based on his incessant sniffing during the last two debates) have gotten to Donnie. Of course, Hillary hasn't been acting like a coke fiend during the debates -- just the Donald. What's to stop him from voluntarily taking a drug test on his own -- and then releasing the results as a show of good faith?
    @bondjames My, my. A little full of ourselves today, aren't we?

Just today?

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hahahaha, heh- even I think that's a bit of a stretch here. Guys like this ^^^ don't know how to vote.
    To use the words "human and decency" when talking about this election is probably the worst joke I have read in this whole thread. Shudder...
This discussion has been closed.