Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

Things you never want to see in a Bond film again? Racist stereotypes.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

I heard Babs was going to bring racist stereotypes back.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I love LALD and I wouldn't change anything in it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm with you.

Me, too. Given the opportunity, I wouldn't change a thing about any Bond film.
    Here's a quick list:

- a mission that is personal to Bonds past
    - a finale that takes place in the UK
    - M or Moneypenny going out into the field
    - discussions about how human intelligence is obsolete
    - Bond presumed dead at the end of a PTS
    - Bond with facial hair
    - Bond showing his age
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Here's a quick list:

- a mission that is personal to Bonds past
    - a finale that takes place in the UK
    - M or Moneypenny going out into the field
    - discussions about how human intelligence is obsolete
    - Bond presumed dead at the end of a PTS
    - Bond with facial hair
    - Bond showing his age
    Not a fan of the last few Bond films I take it? I can relate to some of the points actually. Time for us to move on and get back to basics.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »

I'm with you.

Me, too. Given the opportunity, I wouldn't change a thing about any Bond film.

Generally I'd agree with you except for the slide whistle in TMWTGG. One of the greatest stunts in history reduced to a joke. They showed it once on Top Gear and just left it silent and it was utterly awesome.

And I wouldn't be devastated if the entire third act of SP was rewritten.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Judi Dench or Thomas Newman. I'd take another Madonna cameo over a Newman return!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    echo wrote: »
    Judi Dench or Thomas Newman. I'd take another Madonna cameo over a Newman return!

Agreed on Newman - had another listen to his two Bond entries and except for Day of The Dead he does nothing memorable and what is with the modern composer's aversion to writing a melody? It's all just mood pieces and clattering of rising percussion beats. What is the last truly iconic film score since the 90s?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Agreed on Newman - had another listen to his two Bond entries and except for Day of The Dead he does nothing memorable and what is with the modern composer's aversion to writing a melody? It's all just mood pieces and clattering of rising percussion beats. What is the last truly iconic film score since the 90s?
    Thank you!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I agree. I miss the days were movies good or bad had big iconic memorable themes you'd never forget. Instead today we get this themeless minimalist unmemorable noise that you'll forget seconds after you first hear it.
    We have Hans Zimmer to thank for that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    We have Hans Zimmer to thank for that.
    I enjoyed his Interstellar score. The rest are mostly shite.
    Murdock wrote: »

I agree. I miss the days were movies good or bad had big iconic memorable themes you'd never forget. Instead today we get this themeless minimalist unmemorable noise that you'll forget seconds after you first hear it.

Yep, that's a thought that has occured a lot to me these past years. I can still hum passages from the first movies, whether they were written by Norman, Barry, Martin, Hamlish, Conti, or even Kamen. For David Arnold and Thomas Newman, not so much. At least, the first one gave us some humable tunes in "Sherlock", but not so much on Bond.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Off the top of my head, Bond goes rogue.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

What, like the rude German in CS or the arrogant pig-headed South African in DAD...? Is that what you mean...?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 7,571
    What kills me with the "smart blood" is it gets a generic, CSI mumbo-jumbo sort of description, when they literally did the same thing in CR without going into any detail. You knew they were now tracking him, didn't need to take time unnecessarily explaining it.
    Exactly right. I was wondering that in the theatre - don't these idiots watch their own product before trying to write the next one? We already did this 3 films ago and now they make a deal out of it. Clowns.

You've smashed that out of the park chaps. A depressingly shit idea which I couldn't believe they were making out like it was a work of genius when we've seen exactly the same scene 2 films earlier.

And in either film what does it amount to?Bugger all from what I can see. In CR it's never mentioned again until it's cut out of his arm. In SP it's only mentioned in passing by M and when you sit down and think about it you can understand that C is passing SPECTRE info about Bond's location. But erase it completely and spend the 3 minutes you save explaining how Mr White, Quantum, Sciarra and SPECTRE are all linked and do you lose anything?

Only other thing I can add is I felt the same about the signature gun in SF.

How many times do we need to say it? Sack P&W and sort the writing out EON FFS.

I may be wrong here, trying to remember, but isn't it the tracker he uses to alert MI6 that he is going into cardiac arrest? He sticks something in his wrist. In which case it does play quite a big part in that film.

Only seen it about 20 times so my recall is vague.
    A few things and just my opinion of course

1. Original titles: Fleming has enough titles for the next 24 bond films we really don't need James Bond returns in Tomorrow Dies Today. Do we? Not when The Property of A Lady The Hildebrand Rarity Shatterhand Shamelady Blofeld Colonel Von Hammerstien All the time in the world and Midnight among the worms

2. Over use/dependence on the formula. See Tomorrow Never dies Die Another Day and Spectre for that

3. Poor Roger Moore styled Jokes: The jokes in Spectre would work great on a Roger more film but this isn't a Roger Moore film and Craig just can't pull it off like good ole Roger

4. Bad American Sherifs (see diamonds are forever - The Man with the golden gun and A view to s kill for that)

5. Poor scripts

6. Going after a director because they got an Oscar

7. Bond being dubbed (see ohmss)

8. The name is bond James Bond being used as a musical score it's a great song but it's been in every Craig bond film and I am sick of it

9. Thomas Newman

10. Sam smith

And that is about it
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    NicNac wrote: »
    What kills me with the "smart blood" is it gets a generic, CSI mumbo-jumbo sort of description, when they literally did the same thing in CR without going into any detail. You knew they were now tracking him, didn't need to take time unnecessarily explaining it.
    Exactly right. I was wondering that in the theatre - don't these idiots watch their own product before trying to write the next one? We already did this 3 films ago and now they make a deal out of it. Clowns.

You've smashed that out of the park chaps. A depressingly shit idea which I couldn't believe they were making out like it was a work of genius when we've seen exactly the same scene 2 films earlier.

And in either film what does it amount to?Bugger all from what I can see. In CR it's never mentioned again until it's cut out of his arm. In SP it's only mentioned in passing by M and when you sit down and think about it you can understand that C is passing SPECTRE info about Bond's location. But erase it completely and spend the 3 minutes you save explaining how Mr White, Quantum, Sciarra and SPECTRE are all linked and do you lose anything?

Only other thing I can add is I felt the same about the signature gun in SF.

How many times do we need to say it? Sack P&W and sort the writing out EON FFS.

I may be wrong here, trying to remember, but isn't it the tracker he uses to alert MI6 that he is going into cardiac arrest? He sticks something in his wrist. In which case it does play quite a big part in that film.

Only seen it about 20 times so my recall is vague.

You may be correct. I always thought that the doctor was able to analyse Bond's blood due to the thing he stuck in his vein. Isn't the chip just a tracker?

Presumably after the poisoning thing in CR Q branch came up with smart blood so they could monitor an agent's vital signs as an improvement over just a tracker.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    John Cleese.
  • I'll tell you, one thing I REALLY DO want to see in a Bond film again is a jump scare by a pigeon! Those moments in Roger's films are awesome!!!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Q branch and all his sodding gadgets.

Didn't miss it in CR or QoS.
    Oh my goodness...
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Blofeld and Spectre.

I prefer Bond having a different enemy each film, part of what makes Bond great is who will be the next Villain.
    Maybe they could keep Spectre but i prefer a different villain with a diferent motive each film. With Sean Connery Spectre worked fine but i never liked the idea of a recurring villain.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And if Brosnan was a villain?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    A recurring villain is good. It gives one something to go on. A continuous chronology. (Not tight continuity, per se). That's what made the Connery films great.

What I don't want is drama. The Connery films never had that. And if they did, it was very minor.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited January 2017 Posts: 299
    Yeah I think a recurring villain could work if handled properly, but in general I think Bond films work better when they have they're own seperate themes and villains such as in LALD for instance. Plus for the sake of variety its nice to have a new villain with fresh ideas and trademark deformities to look forward too.
    Sequels,story-arcs and soap-opera drama.

Back to basics,as Bond used to be.
    barryt007 wrote: »

+1
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Absolutely!!!