Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• GBFGBF
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Let's not jump ahead of our host this time. Sorry for piling on last time @Soundofthesinners .

You are absolutely right. We have all the time in the world
    GBF wrote: »
    Let's not jump ahead of our host this time. Sorry for piling on last time @Soundofthesinners .

Absolutely ...............
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    4 days since the last vote. Perhaps time to move on.
    bondjames wrote: »
    4 days since the last vote. Perhaps time to move on.

I think so.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,325
    -
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited October 2016 Posts: 45,489
    tanaka123 wrote: »

But...
    PTS: SP
    Title track: SP
    Titles: SP
    Main villain: SP
    Main Bond Girl: OP
    Henchman: SP
    Plot: OP
    Dialogue: OP
    Score: OP
    Settings: SP
    Action: SP
    Humour: SP
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: OP
    Suspense: OP
    Minor Characters: OP
    Glamour: OP
    Bond performance: SP

SP 10-8 OP

...and it only took 20 minutes.
    @Soundofthesinners, do we have your permission to move forward with OP?

I realize it takes some effort to get to the summary on FYEO vs. SP, but I'm not sure it's necessary to do, because we can all pretty much tell which film is winning as this goes along in each instance.

Anyway, let us know.
    For the first time, I think I am starting to feel sorry for SP, it's taking one hell of a beating.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,325

But...
    Title track: SP
    Titles: SP
    Main villain: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Settings: SP
    Humour: SP
    Glamour: OP

SP 10-8 OP

...and it only took 20 minutes.

Look at the dots ... Being calling to move on for a while actually.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ah, the legendary dots.
    Ah, the legendary dots.

Exactly the dots is what it's all about.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes, for five days. Wait for @Soundsofthesinners

It is his game. Thus he has the prerogative of moving the game on.
    Let's just move on.
    We haven't all the time in the world, apparently.
    Nobody does it better...or do they ?
    I think Octopussy has been disqualified for a false start.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Soundofthesinners asked us to wait. To not do so is simply rude and obnoxious.

This. Please wait for the host to begin the next round.

Absolutely
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This. Please wait for the host to begin the next round.

This. Let's hang fire folks.
    Definitely...its hasn't been that long a time anyway.
    Let's keep on waiting, we're all seasoned hands now at waiting aren't we? Nearly a year since Spectre and still pretty much nothing on Bond 25.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2016 Posts: 2,721
    I can wait...All I wanted was a sweet distraction for an hour or two...
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Had no intention to do...
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2016 Posts: 2,721
    ....the things we've done.
  • Thanks for waiting, chaps. I do like to give it a couple days after the request for last posts, because sometimes you get a revival out of the blue, but hey, sometimes those don't come, and in the face of demand from the game's participants, it's time to move onto Octopussy.

But first! It's time to look at the results of our last game. And there, by a somewhat lopsided margin of 261-177-21, and 16 games to 7 (to 2), For Your Eyes Only triumphs. Spectre had a strong start and a late rally, but it just wasn't enough.

Back to OP!

Title track: OP
    Titles: SP (at least it's memorable)
    Main villain: SP (I hate Kamal Khan)
    Henchman: SP (counting Vijay)
    Dialogue: OP (mostly for the opening ham to ham combat between Gogol and Orlov)
    Settings: SP (India is nice, but they stall out halfway through)
    Humour: SP (take that, Tarzan yell)
    Benign Bizarre: OP (knife throwing twins and a clown chase!)
    Suspense: OP (it managed to make a clown scene and auction scene tense, while SP couldn't do it with an exploding MI6)
    Minor Characters: OP (Orlov deserved credit somewhere)
    Glamour: SP

And SP triumphs by a the closest of margins, 10-8! Let's see if SP can scrape a win for just the second time in this game!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    PTS: OP
    Title track: OP (I always liked it)
    Titles: OP
    Main villain: OP
    Henchman: OP
    Settings: OP
    Action: OP
    Humour: OP
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: OP

OP- 16
    SP- 2
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    PTS: OP (it's one of the best. Moore encouraging the soldiers to check out Bianca's legs, the plane, the mid air action & 'fill er up please!')

Title track: OP (both are shiite but at least Rita keeps it on an even keel rather than falsetto screaming)

Titles: SP (I'll give it to SP because I don't remember OP's)

Main villain: OP (Kamal Khan is one of the best - Louis Jourdan is a class act)

Main Bond Girl: OP (Maud rules)

Henchman: OP (Gobinda, Mishka, & Grishka easily trump Hinx)

Plot: OP (one of the best, all the way to a strong third act and finish)

Dialogue: OP (not even close imho. Every interaction between Bond & Kamal, Bond & Orlov and Orlov & Gogol is class with memorable lines)

Score: OP (Barry has some memorable suspense cues. Newman on the other hand, doesn't)

Settings: SP (India and Germany could have been used much better in OP)

Action: OP (one of the most action packed films from 'THE' action director of the franchise)

Humour: OP (I didn't even have to think about this one. Moore at his best)

Cinematography: SP (despite piss yellow in the latest film, this is where Glen's films begin to falter)

Benign Bizarre: OP (Misha, Grishka, clowns, sheep's eyes/head for dinner, tigers, snakes and leeches!)

Suspense: OP (incredibly tense in many places but most notably in the entire Germany sequence)

Minor Characters: OP (thrashing imho. Orlov alone is worth 100 C's)

Glamour: SP (Mrs. Sciarra & Swan in that dress clinch it although Magda puts up a good fight)

Bond performance: OP (not close imho. Moore is on fire here as he fends off King Connery in NSNA)

OP 14
    SP 4
    Quick preamble: OP use to be VERY last on my rankings list. This has climbed into the teens and I could see it getting into top 10 very soon. There is just so much I love about this movie.

PTS: OP (This might be the toughest category for me. I love both so much. But what puts it over the top is the final scene "Fill 'er up please" followed by an absolute classic Moore smile.

Title track: OP (Let me state again, I love 80s ballads. I quite like Sam Smith's track, but ATH is one of my favorites, everytime I hear it I know I am getting ready to start a fun journey lasting an hour or two)

Titles: SP (OP is one of Binder's weakest IMO. Even the best visual of the arms going around Moore has always bothered me as there are only 7 hands! SP has the correct number of tentacles in it's Octopus :))

Main villain: OP (Kamal Khan goes down in my book as most underrated villain and blows Blofeld out of the water here. Louis Jourdan's annunciation and delivery, along with his casual mannerisms is absolutely delicious as he chews up every scene he is in.

Main Bond Girl: OP (Bringing back Maud Adams was a great touch and she has the best chemistry of any Bond girl with Rog. MS is nice, but not nearly the same chemistry as I don't believe the love story.)

Henchman: SP (Hinx over Gobinda by a thumbnail :). Hinx's presence is slightly underutilized but still more effective. Gobinda does win the battle of words "Sh*t" vs. "Out there???"

Plot: OP (Another underrated aspect of OP. For all of the OTT moments, this plot is actually pretty grounded in plausibility when comparing it to other Bond plots. It took getting use to, but I greatly respect it and in this case prefer it over SP which just lacks punch in its final act).

Dialogue: OP (This one's easy. Every Louis Jourdan line, fill 'er up please, Q's "No Time for that, later perhaps!", Magda/Bond wining and dining)

Score: OP (I've heard some on the board say Barry's later tracks get stale, but I disagree, he stays strong here and his last effort in TLD is even better. OP in a landslide over my least favorite score of the series in SP).

Settings: SP (I love campy Bond, but when it comes to exotic locations, camp can take away from the spectacle. OP made India look cartoony and while it had some beautiful shots, it can't stand up to SP. The Rome chase, Bond boating across the lake, and Austria scenes are all stunning.

Action: OP (Of the top 4 action scenes between the two movies, OP has three of them. The jungle scene is played for laughs so it's not meant to be a serious impressive action scene so I do not deduct for it. OP's castle is a little lackluster though. SP has a great PTS, the car chase I dig, but parts of Austria's plane chase don't work for me, and the end at Mi6 lacked punch upon my first few viewings)

Humour: OP (For similar reasons to the dialogue)

Cinematography: SP (HvH made a beautiful film, even though I'd prefer to see an unfiltered cut.

Benign Bizarre: OP (Jungle scene, dinner at Kamal's, Tuk Tuk chase)

Suspense: OP (I was about to give this to SP, then I realized I didn't take into account the bomb scene. Clown suit or not, I haven't seen a more tense bomb diffusing scene).

Minor Characters: OP (Magda is my favorite secondary Bond girl and Vijay is a delight)

Glamour: SP (Moore always brings glamour, but SP brings back that 60's glamour in a big way. I just wish the train scene dinner lasted longer).

Bond performance: OP (One of Moore's absolute best. I liked Craig in SP, so this one was still close.)

OP- 13
    SP- 5
    Thanks for waiting, chaps. I do like to give it a couple days after the request for last posts, because sometimes you get a revival out of the blue, but hey, sometimes those don't come, and in the face of demand from the game's participants, it's time to move onto Octopussy.

But first! It's time to look at the results of our last game. And there, by a somewhat lopsided margin of 261-177-21, and 16 games to 7 (to 2), For Your Eyes Only triumphs. Spectre had a strong start and a late rally, but it just wasn't enough.

Back to OP!

Don't take our back and forth impatient drivel personally. We are all just looking forward to the next round and finding a way to pass the time This is my favorite game currently on the board! Thanks for organizing @soundofthesinners
  • Thanks for waiting, chaps. I do like to give it a couple days after the request for last posts, because sometimes you get a revival out of the blue, but hey, sometimes those don't come, and in the face of demand from the game's participants, it's time to move onto Octopussy.

Back to OP!

Don't take our back and forth impatient drivel personally. We are all just looking forward to the next round and finding a way to pass the time This is my favorite game currently on the board! Thanks for organizing @soundofthesinners

I wouldn't dream of it! Thanks very much for the kind compliments and for being a loyal participant.