Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• GBFGBF
    w2bond wrote: »
    Humour: OP - Rog at the absolute peak of his powers throwing one liners out with aplomb. Yes I know I shouldn't laugh but 'Hiss off', 'Sit' and 'Keep you in curry for a few weeks won't it?' are brilliant and the Tarzan tell whilst appalling not enough to swing it in SP's favour.

I also love when he checks his watch in the gorilla suit. Shoot me.

This check is the most hilarious scene in all Bond films.
  • Octopussy vs. Spectre. My love of the former is, I think, pretty well documented, but let's see how it plays out in this VS format.

PTS: OP (I rank SP's opening highly, but this one is top 5)
    Title track: OP (Both suck, both bottom 5, but OP takes it)
    Titles: SP
    Main Villain: OP (Easy)
    Main Bond Girl: OP
    Henchman: OP
    Plot: OP (An awesome plot. Love how it switches from exotic escapism to Cold War thriller mid way through, too)
    Dialogue: OP
    Score: OP
    Settings: OP
    Action: OP
    Humour: OP
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: OP (by far)
    Suspense: OP
    Minor Characters: OP
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: OP (one of Moore's best performances)

15 - 3 in favor of Octopussy
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Why not have some fun and make this a double round with NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mansfield wrote: »
    Why not have some fun and make this a double round with NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN?

I would like that.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I would never say never to a never say never again round, but it's up to our generous host!

Until then I'm still on an alllllll time high!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I would never say never to a never say never again round, but it's up to our generous host!

Until then I'm still on an alllllll time high!

We'll take on the thread and win!
    So post all night... let the flight... begin
    PTS: OP
    Title track: OP
    Titles: OP
    Main villain: OP
    Main Bond Girl: OP
    Henchman: OP
    Plot: OP
    Dialogue: OP
    Score: OP
    Settings: OP
    Action: OP
    Humour: OP
    Benign Bizarre: OP
    Suspense: OP
    Minor Characters: OP
    Bond performance: OP

OP 16 SP 2
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 3,236
    Another one-sided affair, as Octopussy cruises to victory by a margin of 262-131-20. It also won 18 games to Spectre's 3, with 2 ties.

But I have to imagine better times are on the way for SP, as it's now time for Sir Rog's final film, A View To A Kill*!

PTS: SP
    Title track: AVTAK (UNTIL WE DANCE! INTO THE FIRE!)
    Titles: AVTAK
    Main villain: AVTAK
    Main Bond Girl: SP (JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES)
    Henchman: SP (I guess this is Mayday? Either way it's Hinx)
    Plot: Tie (They're both so terrible it's not even worth picking one)
    Dialogue: SP
    Score: AVTAK
    Settings: SP
    Action: SP (mine shaft scene makes it close, but everything else is so bad it has to go to SP)
    Humour: SP
    Benign Bizarre: AVTAK (It's got Christopher Walken, come on.)
    Suspense: AVTAK (I suppose you can count the mine shaft scene as something resemblign suspense)
    Minor Characters: SP (sorry, Patrick MacNee)
    Glamour: SP (San Fran is nice, but not exactly Bondian)
    Bond performance: SP

All told, it's a victory for SP by a margin of 11-6-1, and now that my scores are out of the way, let's see yours!

*I also said this about Moonraker.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    SP vs AVTAK

PTS: SP (I find the Beach Boys annoying and the snow chase not up to the standards of OHMSS/FYEO)
    Title track: AVTAK (not even close. Duran Duran's work is classic)
    Titles: SP (I don't remember AVTAK)
    Main villain: AVTAK (Walken's Zorin is far more memorable than Waltz's forgettable Blofeld)
    Main Bond Girl: SP (Tanya lost far more than the soap in this one. Quite a looker though. Damn shame she started speaking and acting. Seydoux of "can't any of you speak!" fame is not much better, but she gets the win)
    Henchman: AVTAK (Hinx will soon be forgotten. Mayday is forever)
    Plot: AVTAK (A beating imho)
    Dialogue: SP (some great lines by Zorin and Bond in AVTAK but not enough to shade the White scene in SP)
    Score: AVTAK (Barry channeling OHMSS in some instances)
    Settings: SP (just sneaks in for the win)
    Action: SP (AVTAK has some memorable scenes, including Eiffel Tower chase, mine finale & blimp but Moore's doubles are annoying. So despite the dull dreck masquerading as action in SP, I must give it the win)
    Humour: AVTAK (Moore aces it as usual, particularly in scenes with Macnee. Walken has some fun too)
    Cinematography: SP (not even close. AVTAK wastes the beauty of Paris & San Fran unforgivably so the latest film must take the win despite the piss coloured hues)
    Benign Bizarre: AVTAK (Mayday. Nuff said)
    Suspense: AVTAK (Tibbet's death, mine, steeple chase, Eiffel Tower jump)
    Minor Characters: AVTAK (Tibbet, Jenny Flex, Herr Mortner, Scarpine, Gogol & Ivanova trump White, good though he is)
    Glamour: SP (much classier and more stylish film. Not even close)
    Bond performance: SP (first time I've given a win to SP. Moore is good, but just too old for the job here, so Craig sneaks in for the win)
    ----
    AVTAK: 9
    SP: 9

SP has its best showing from me with a draw! Things are looking up.
    SPECTRE vs. A View to a Kill

PTS: SP (AVTAK gets too much flack for California Girls, when otherwise the PTS is decent, but SP is still fresh and brilliant in my eyes)
    Title track: AVTAK (80s Bond songs FTW! I will always gladly dance into the fire)
    Titles: SP (Neon colors are fun, but no match for SP's titles)
    Main villain: AVTAK (I'm happiest, watching Christopher Walken in the saddle)
    Main Bond Girl: SP (SS is in my bottom 2 Bond girls).
    Henchman: AVTAK (MayDay is top 5, Hinx just outside the top 10)
    Plot: SP (Both with many rehashed ideas, I'll take SP slightly)
    Dialogue: AVTAK (Moore and Walken have so much wonderful dialogue. Throw in Macnee and it goes to AVTAK)
    Score: AVTAK (SP isn't winning a single matchup here. The lazy copy and pasting from SF takes me out of the film, which is the most damning thing that a score can do)
    Settings: SP (Rome, Austria, Mexico all brilliantly shot and got the most out of its locales)
    Action: SP (AVTAK is the weakest of Glen's films in terms of action)
    Humour: AVTAK (Closer than dialgoue, but still AVTAK due to many of the similar reasons)
    Cinematography: SP (HVH's beautiful film beat's Alan Hume's last of 3 Bond films)
    Benign Bizarre: AVTAK (No contest)
    Suspense: AVTAK
    Minor Characters: AVTAK (Tibbett, Mortner, Scarpine, Gogol, and Lois's last Moneypenny, in which she gets extended screentime)
    Glamour: AVTAK (WDJ in Eiffel Tower, Zorin's stables provides one of the most elegant cocktail parties in the whole series. St. John Smythe defines glamour!)
    Bond performance: SP (Both Moore and Craig's weakest, I give a slight edge to Craig here)

SP: 8
    AVTAK: 10

A back and forth battle to the wire. Both films are back to back in my current rankings so this was expected.
    Title track: AVTAK
    Main villain: SP
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Plot: TIE
    Dialogue: TIE
    Action: SP
    Humour: AVTAK
    Benign Bizarre: AVTAK
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP
    Glamour: TIE

SP - 10
    AVTAK - 5
    TIE - 3
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Spectre versus A View To A Kill

Plot: TIE
    Dialogue: TIE
    Benign Bizarre: SP

SP - 12
    AVTAK - 4
    TIE - 2

A surprisingly easy win for Spectre this time.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    PTS: SP (By a comfortable margin.)
    Title track: AVTAK (Annihilation)
    Titles: AVTAK (Nothing pretentious here. There's nothing wrong with some naked women skiing in neon!)
    Main villain: AVTAK (More cowbell.)
    Main Bond Girl: AVTAK (It's not so much Tanya as the fact that she has no chemistry with Rog.)
    Henchman: SP (Well, at least Bond didn't sleep with Hinx; however, that may have been preferable.)
    Plot: AVTAK (By a landslide.)
    Dialogue: AVTAK (VIEW has some underrated lines.)
    Score: AVTAK (I feel silly even thinking of an explanation.)
    Settings: AVTAK (Close call.)
    Action: SP (AVTAK really drops the ball here.)
    Humour: AVTAK (Moore still has his moments.)
    Cinematography: SP (Easily.)
    Benign Bizarre: AVTAK (May Day alone is enough to win this.)
    Suspense: AVTAK (Another close call.)
    Minor Characters: AVTAK (Absolutely destroys SP, whose only memorable minor is White.)
    Glamour: AVATK (For Zorin's estate and party.)
    Bond performance: SP (I haven't been involved in all of these, but I believe this is the first time I voted for Dan.)

AVTAK - 13
    SP - 5

Badda bing, badda boom.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Henchman: AVTAK
    Plot: AVTAK
    Dialogue: AVTAK
    Settings: AVTAK
    Action: AVTAK
    Bond performance: AVTAK

AVTAK: 13
    SP: 5
  • GBFGBF

PTS: AVTAK
    Dialogue: Tie
    Settings: AVTAK
    Action: AVTAK
    Minor Characters: AVTAK
    Glamour: Tie
    Bond performance: Tie

AVTAK: 13
    SP: 2
    Tie: 3
    Title track: SP
    Minor Characters: AVTAK

SP:11
    AVTAK: 7
  • PTS: SP
    Main villain: Tie
    Plot: SP (AVTAK is not one plot, it is two plots connected by the thinnest of threads)
    Dialogue: AVTAK (Roger just makes it sound ok)
    Settings: SP (settings in AVTAK use landmarks well but otherwise not to great effect)
    Suspense: SP (the mine scene is a terrific failure in terms of suspense - let me tell you, no one was holding their breath when the bomb was counting down, or even cared)

SP: 11
    AVTAK: 6
    Tie: 1
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    PTS: SP ( one of SP's high points - if you'll pardon the pun. And AVTAK'S is very forgettable - bond in the snow escaping henchmen on skis- was always disappointed as a kid that it didn't end with the Union Jack parachute jump! Barry's work here is amazing though - minus the beach boys interruption!)

Title track: AVTAK (one of my favourite title songs. this is a cracker. Gets me excited for a film that doesn't really deliver.)

Titles: SP (While SP's isn't my favourite - it has style and intrigue - binder was really on cruise control by this point for AVTAK)

Main villain: AVTAK (Blofeld is an issue for me in SP, but Zorin is great fun. Walked having a good time. The maniac laugh while gunning down people, even betraying May Day and his chuckle as he loses grip on the Golden Gate Bridge is perfect, a memorable villain)

Main Bond Girl: SP (I'm ambivalent toward Madeline but Stacey is the one of the worst!)

Henchman: AVTAK (normally Hinx has been cleaning up most henchmen on these match ups for me and he's another highlight of SP but May Day is quality - very striking. A big selling point of the film in 85 and grace jones knocks this one out of the park for menace and presence.)

Plot: AVTAK (if there was only one thing I could change of spectre - it would be the plot. Neither AVTAK and SP are great - but I feel more disappointed by SP's because of the potential.)

Dialogue: SP (nothing that memorable in AVTAK and spectre has some great dialogue especially involving mr white or Q)

Score: AVTAK (One of my absolute favourite scores from the master)

Settings: SP (the alps, Mexico, Rome, all wonderfully shot - just wish the hadn't finished in Britain for the second movie in a row! AVTAK's are fairly bland - except for the iconic golden gate bridge)

Action: SP (AVTAK's is very ordinary and SP's PTS and Hinx fight win it easily for SP)

Humour: SP (I like SP's humour - the most successful use of it in the Craig era for me)

Cinematography: SP (hoytema is on great form.)

Benign Bizarre: AVTAK (Mayday's killings of bond's allies is effectively creepy and the nazi baby breeding is weird too. Mayday lifting KGB agent's over her head and the dancing butterflies - on reflection - virtually everything involving mayday is striking and bizarre - including bedding Roger Moore!)

Suspense: AVTAK (another issue for me with SP is a lack of suspense - individual moments hold them - but the third act is devoid of it whereas AVTAK's third act is one of its stronger sequences - the killing in the mine, Mayday's sacrifice and the fight on the blimp)

Minor Characters: SP (Mr white and Q win this one for SP. Although I do like Tibbet and Paola Ivonova.)

Glamour: SP (another high point of SP. The train sequence glamour, white tux and slinky dresses. Rome at night. Day of the dead.)

Bond performance: SP (I really like Craig in SP. I feel his detached, cool performance is an attempt to channel Connery but he's betrayed by the mechanics of the 'personal' plotline with Blofeld's foster brother backstory, and author of all his pain and Madeline swann saying she loves him. It seems to me Craig is in the mood to have a good time - but the film won't quite let him. And surely AVTAK's is Moore's worst performance. He's lacklustre and has no chemistry with Stacey and doesn't even seem that interested in combating Zorin with great banter. His best work is with McNee!)

AVTAK: 7

I'm surprised AVTAK did this well! I think I may have been generous giving it the 'plot' win. But that's probably because I feel so strongly about SP's failure in this area. Otherwise the categories are pretty clear cut for me.

I can never be too harsh on AVTAK because of nostalgia factor. It has a thrilling title track and exciting, layered score (snow job, bond meets Stacey, golden gate fight) good work from May Day and Zorin and some good suspense scenes. But the pace is lagging and the structure a little problematic. The action is among the least memorable of the series - although I like the Paris chase.)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    PTS: SP - Although the music (Barry that is) and the actual stunts are top notch there's just a tired feeling (that pervades the whole film actually) about the whole thing. SP is a much classier affair.

Title track: AVTAK - No explanation needed.

Titles: SP - More tiredness as we are fully entrenched in Binder's 'they all look the same' era.

Main villain: AVTAK - Walken teaching Waltz a lesson in how to ham it up perfectly as a Bond villain.

Main Bond Girl: SP - Stacey is fit enough but despite being an alleged geologist there's just nothing happening behind the eyes. To quote Brent 'Madeline has got it going on up there as well as down there.'

Henchman: Tie - May Day is entertainingly bizarre and kills plenty of people but a henchman has to have an epic showdown with Bond to be truly great and Hinx certainly gets that despite his other faults.

Plot: Tie - AVTAK is just GF and the microchips impervious to radiation are just tossed out the window. But it's still enough to get a tie against SP's shambles.

Dialogue: SP - Some excellent exchanges between Walken and Moore but there's also dull exposition by the likes of Chuck Lee and every word that comes out of Stacey's mouth is awful.

Score: AVTAK - The few minutes of music as the airship approaches the bridge beats anything Newman has ever done or ever will do.

Settings: SP - AVTAK is like being on a guided tour with a load of Japanese and American tourists. SP is more like exploring a city on foot with the Rough Guide.

Action: SP - Paris chase and finale are good but the fire engine chase and fight in the warehouse is terrible. The PTS, car chase and plane chase are all solid if not stunning but it's the train fight that makes the difference.

Humour: SP - I'll take 'No stay' over 'Yeah and I'm Dick Tracy' every time.

Cinematography: SP - One glaring flaw of the Glen era is pedestrian cinematography.

Benign Bizarre: AVTAK - May Day and Zorin are both terrifically mental enough to take this one.

Suspense: AVTAK - Neither climax is stunning but Barry's music is enough to edge it. Throw in the climbing down the fire ladder for an extra point.

Minor Characters: SP - AVTAK may have more of them and Tibbet is nice comic relief but Chuck Lee, Pola Ivanova and Gogol add absolutely nothing to the film. White once again bringing home the bacon for SP.

Glamour: SP - The party at the chateau aside not a lot. The opulence of Rome wins this.

Bond performance: SP - Rog solid as ever but a little bit stale. Dan has dropped a little also but still very very good.

AVTAK: 5
    Tie: 2

SP's musical failure (so often it's Achilles heel in this) allows AVTAK to reclaim a measure of respect in what should he a thumping.

Plot: SP

SP: 14
    AVTAK: 4
    Main villain: SP
    Plot: SP
    Score: SP

SP - 17
    AVTAK - 1
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there

It hurts. Really hurts.
    AVTAK is the only Barry score I don t care for. I find huge chunks of it annoying.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117

SP has a better score than AVTAK???????!

That has to be the single most ridiculous post I've seen on here in at least 10 years.

The 'Everyone's entitled to their opinion' argument can get f**ked on this occasion. There is literally no reasoning that can explain this even if you have been deaf from birth.
    The fundamentalist fruitcake speaks up again. I enjoyed the SP score. I have said so before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The opportunity was there for short while to confess to an unintended typo rather than a willful choice.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The opportunity was there for short while to confess to an unintended typo rather than a willful choice.

I was hoping for his sake that was all it was but now he'd rather throw feeble insults out instead.

Sorry John Barry your sweeping instrumentals of the title track coupled with an original (a word Newman is unfamiliar with) action cue that's almost as good as the Bond theme are to be sacrificed on the altar of 'everyone's entitled to their opinion.'

I'm more than happy to be called a fundamentalist especially concerning this issue.

I was hoping for his sake that was all it was but now he'd rather throw feeble insults out instead.

I guess I am just a horrible person.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited October 2016 Posts: 7,314
    And here I thought I was controversial by being the only one to pick Stacey.