Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• GBFGBF
    I find it more bizarre that someone finds that a lame Blofeld with daddy issues is better than Max Zorin, one of best, at least one of the craziest villains of the whole franchise.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GBF wrote: »
    I find it more bizarre that someone finds that a lame Blofeld with daddy issues is better than Max Zorin, one of best, at least one of the craziest villains of the whole franchise.

They are both pretty good imo.
    PTS: SP
    Title track: AVTAK
    Titles: AVTAK
    Main villain: AVTAK
    Main Bond Girl: AVTAK
    Henchman: SP
    Plot: AVTAK
    Dialogue: AVTAK
    Score: AVTAK
    Settings: SP
    Action: SP
    Humour: AVTAK
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: AVTAK
    Suspense: AVTAK
    Minor Characters: AVTAK
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: SP

SP 7
    AVTAK 11
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

SP has a better score than AVTAK???????!

That has to be the single most ridiculous post I've seen on here in at least 10 years.

I could have sworn that honour would go to me!
    I'm shattered. I will try harder.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    PTS: SP

Title track:
    A
    View
    To
    A
    Kill

Titles: AVTAK
    Main Bond Girl: AVTAK
    Henchwoman: AVTAK MayDay

Score: A View Fu@@ing A Kidding?

Benign Bizarre: SP
    Suspense: SP

SP 8
    AVTAK 10
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

SP has a better score than AVTAK???????!

That has to be the single most ridiculous post I've seen on here in at least 10 years.

I could have sworn that honour would go to me!
    I'm shattered. I will try harder.

Terribly sorry but even your good self, Mendes and Balje combined have never come up with anything so ludicrous.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2016 Posts: 16,331
    Score: SP

That gives me a tumor. :O
    hQ8oonyl.jpg
    PTS: AVTAK
    Titles: SP
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Plot: SP
    Dialogue: SP
    Humour: SP
    Minor Characters: SP

SP 13
    AVTAK 5
  • The fundamentalist fruitcake speaks up again. I enjoyed the SP score. I have said so before.

I also think the SP score is underrated, actually. And @Thunderfinger never said he disliked the score for AVTAK.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,263
    PTS: Spectre - Decisively, this would be closer if Roger looked the complement of his stuntman's work and without California Girls intruding on a Barry masterclass.
    Title Track: A View to a Kill - Duran Duran's track is pretty catchy and fits the era just right. I think what I appreciate most about it is how it isn't afraid to venture into an original in the way that Writing's on the Wall is.
    Title Credits: Spectre - A View to a Kill has one of the worst title sequences, while Spectre's is a middle to upper echelon title sequence.
    Main Villain: Spectre - Zorin suffers from the same lack of things to do as Blofeld. I genuinely prefer Waltz's deep psychological attacks, whereas Walken just acts like a general sociopath.
    Main Bond Girl: Spectre - Stacy is one of the weakest Bond girls in the franchise's history. Madeleine on the other hand is well developed at heart at least, though not totally on the screen.
    Henchman: Spectre - May Day is a good henchman, probably top 10, but Hinx is top 5 at a minimum.
    Plot: Spectre - I can't unsee Roger Ebert's exposure of Zorin's fundamental misunderstanding of his market.
    Dialogue: A View to a Kill - I don't really think both were stellar, but at least it didn't have, "A license to kill is also a license not to kill."
    Score: A View to a Kill - Top work by Barry (though not #1).
    Settings: Spectre - One of the few contests Spectre will take here. A View to a Kill is pretty light in terms of destinations.
    Action: Spectre - While it may not win in terms of pacing, the stunts match the qualities of their Bond better.
    Humor: Spectre - I find the subtle humor in Spectre to be better than A View to a Kill here, which is surprisingly light for a Moore adventure.
    Cinematography: Spectre - Beautifully framed and sets the mood exceptionally on a visual level. If only the dialogue and character development could match its level of consistency, Spectre probably would have been another instant classic.
    Benign Bizarre: A View to a Kill - This was one of the first Bond films I ever saw, so I have to say the action gags with the fire truck and whatnot play up to me more than had I first viewed this film when I was older.
    Suspense: Spectre - They both are pretty standard affairs, but I find Spectre to be more intriguing for the first half at least.
    Minor Characters: Spectre - This one is close, but Mr. White manages to hold down the fort here for my liking, however short of a sequence he receives.
    Glamour: Spectre - A View to a Kill has glamor, especially with the horse racing scenes in the beginning, but it fades into the night. Spectre, while probably not as natural of glamor, doesn't let you forget it to the end.
    Bond Performance: Spectre - I'll just leave it as this, Spectre doesn't have to be the end for Craig. A View to a Kill was the end for Roger Moore. I think he played one too many.

Spectre: 14
    A View to a Kill: 4

Despite my apparently harsh scoring of A View to a Kill, I have always maintained my joy for it even though I relegate it to my basement in the rankings usually. Realistically speaking, I have it in higher esteem than Moonraker, which I already rated here, but it has a lower score.

[-X at skipping NSNA.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    GBF wrote: »
    Agree! Waltz did not impress me at all - I liked Blofeld the most in FRWL and TB. A figure in the shadow and nothing else is shown.

As much as I appreciated the Oberhauser background in SP (the fact that Bond was kinda adopted by him after his parents died) I hated the foster brother "twist". Not necessary - they should've made the connection differently by having Bonds parents and Oberhauser been killed by the roots of the very same organization Bond finds himself fighting against. There you'd have your personal background (I appreciated that in SF) plus suspense and some reasonable connection between Blofeld and Bond. No need he would have done it himself but just the roots of his organization - so Blofeld would have been played by an older actor. Well ... unfortunately nobody came up with that. I still can't believe the third act of SP is the *best idea* they could come up with and gave it a green light. Amazing ...
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Main villain: AVTAK (Walken was fantastic and had a lot more screen time than Waltz)
    Dialogue: TIE
    Humour: SP
    Suspense: TIE
    Bond performance: TIE (Sir Rog played his last Bond film very seriously IMO)

SP - 11
    AVTAK - 4
    TIE - 3

Why I didn't expect that big a distance as I like both films....
  • GBFGBF
    What I don't really get is why some people prefer SP in the benign bizarre category. What is positively bizarre in SP? I guess the few bizarre Moments are unintentional. AVTAK is probably the most bizarre Bond film and even AVTAK haters usually acknowledge its bizarre and crazy villains... who are a lot of fun to watch.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    @barryt007

Re: Bond Performance -- That's exactly why I don't really care for his performance. Playing Bond in his late 50s, he brought little youth and enthusiasm to the character that had become a staple of his. I think he was so much better in Octopussy when looking at what he brought to the role late during his tenure.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Titles: AVTAK (actually one of my favourites, so 80's)
    Henchman: AVTAK
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: AVTAK (I have a soft spot for Pola Ivanova)
    Bond performance: AVTAK

AVTAK - 12
    SP - 6
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Funny, my reaction is quite the opposite.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    bondjames wrote: »
    Roger-Moore.png
    bondjames wrote: »

Well you don't want to go off half-cocked.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,422
    PTS: SP (Beach Boys aside this is one of the most dull openings to a Bond movie)
    Titles: SP (Great work by Danny vs a slightly meh effort by Binder)
    Main villain: AVTAK (Zorin for the win!)
    Dialogue: SP
    Score: AVTAK (Duh!)
    Humour: SP (Hmm, comedy policeman means this one is won by default by SP)
    Benign Bizarre: AVTAK (Glen wasn’t the best at displaying the BB, but still Walken and Jones!)
    Suspense: SP (for the Rome meeting and Hinx fight)

AVTAK - 4
    SP – 14

Despite my sentimental feelings towards AVTAK, SP won out comfortably. Which I guess makes it 4-5 wins for SP in this game, for me.
  • Shall we get our final votes in before it's time for the Dalton era?
    Meh...do we have to ?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Looks like SP may have earned it's second victory. Comes the morning and the headlights fade away.
    I wish Kara Milovy would bloody fade away...
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    It will be a close one, I think.

I believe SP is in the lead, but we won't know until the game is officially closed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SP is about to start improving in my rankings as we approach the Dalton and Brosnan years.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    SP is about to start improving in my rankings as we approach the Dalton and Brosnan years.

It will be interesting to see how it does against the later Brosnans. A victory of DAD is all but assured, but TND and TWINE will be fascinating contests.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    It should beat DAD. I think it has a shot at beating TWINE and an outside shot at beating TND and QoS.
    It wont beat QOS x it has really become a favourite on here and is climbing..in fact when i finish watching LALD i might put it on n watch it :)
    Action: AVTAK
    Cinematography: AVTAK
    Bond performance: AVTAK

AVTAK - 13
    SP – 5
  • I had forgot some of the dumb humour in AVTAK. E.g. Moore hitting the antenna is awkward and embarrassing.