Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    IT WAS NOT

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/motorsports/stories/1331763546015/chuck-aaron-flies-in-spectre

look at the video, it clearly shows everything was done for real!
    Thats what i thought...it was a real stunt....
    It was a real stunt but just looked fake with the amount of CGI needed to put it on the screen, they actually admit that some of the stuntwork was done somewhere else because of the thin air. It might also be the filter they used the whole g&#^#^movie that gave the stunt an artificial feeling. My apologies for doubting the actual stuntwork and to be honest it was the best actionscene in the movie and the only one with suspense involved.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The CGI augmentation in SP was horrendously poor. They may have done certain things for real, but then they augmented the scene with additional characters, contextual pieces etc. and topped it off with a monotone filter.

The key point being made here is that to a degree it looked fake vs. the FYEO scenes (apart from the green screen close up components of that earlier era) on account of this augmentation.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    The key point being made here is that to a degree it looked fake vs. the FYEO scenes (apart from the green screen close up components of that earlier era) on account of this augmentation.

This is indeed the key point.

SP with all the post production polish layered on ends up looking fake.

FYEO they just took Martin Grace and a helicopter and pointed a camera at it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The helicopter stunt in FYEO was slightly better. They flew inside a closed down factory, dangerous as Hell.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    It meant nothing to the story. Maybe people in 1981 were happy to see Eon stick it to McClory, but that is a moot point now.

Last night I happen to see FYEO after OHMSS in a double feature and it was the only time that the PTS of FYEO felt any good to watch for me.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    The helicopter stunt in FYEO was slightly better. They flew inside a closed down factory, dangerous as Hell.

That was a foreground miniature and a helicopter mounted on a rig.

In our dismay at the current state of CGI v real stunts situation let's not be blind to the fact that in the past they used SFX too.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    its all so confusing,which is which,CGI or stunt or miniatures..i think i will just stick to watching the films and my imagination...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That was a foreground miniature and a helicopter mounted on a rig.

In our dismay at the current state of CGI v real stunts situation let's not be blind to the fact that in the past they used SFX too.

Thanks for the info. I feel no dismay at anything, as long as it looks good on the screen. Both films have amazing helicopter stunts, regardless of what they added with special effects.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    PTS: SP – by a smidge, I.e. Blofeld’s not in it.
    Title track: SP – again by a Gnats todger.
    Titles: SP
    Main villain: FYEO – I find the 80’s Bond villains to be refreshingly human, so Kristatos.
    Main Bond Girl: SP – Very close again. So I asked myself, which Bond girl would I like to pork the most....
    Henchman: SP – easy this time.
    Plot: FYEO
    Dialogue: FYEO – again close.
    Score: FYEO
    Settings: FYEO – a close win, but FYEO’s settings, while not as glamours as say MR, the way Glen uses the locations wins it.
    Action: FYEO – Bob-sleigh, Skier, Motorcycle. All in one bob run.
    Humour: SP
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: SP – FYEO is rather bland when it comes to this category.
    Suspense: FYEO – ATAC to St. Cyril's!
    Minor Characters: FYEO – Columbo beats Mr. White.
    Glamour: SP – Two super cars blasting past the Vatican? Yes please.
    Bond performance: SP

FYEO: 8
    SP: 10
    @royale65 - regarding porkies, you could have vote a tie and porked both of them.
    Time for Octopussy?
  • bondjames wrote: »
    The CGI augmentation in SP was horrendously poor. They may have done certain things for real, but then they augmented the scene with additional characters, contextual pieces etc. and topped it off with a monotone filter.

Absolutely. God it seriously takes the whole PTS down a notch for me.

• Spectre vs. For Your Eyes Only

PTS: SP

Title track: FYEO (Love how 80's this song is. Dig it.)

Main villain: SP (Kristatos is boring as hell, even though Waltz isn't much better)

Main Bond Girl: TIE

Henchman: SP

Dialogue: TIE (Neither film's dialogue is all that great)

Score: FYEO (Barely. This is a really close one.)

Settings: FYEO

Action: FYEO

Humour: TIE (FYEO is funnier than it is given credit for, and SP's jokes often fall flat)

Benign Bizarre: SP

Suspense: FYEO

Minor Characters: FYEO (Colombo!)

Glamour: SP

Bond performance: FYEO

Final score is 9-7-2 in favor of For Your Eyes Only, which is about right given that I only slot it a few ranks higher than Spectre.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Main Bond Girl: SP – Very close again. So I asked myself, which Bond girl would I like to pork the most....

Shit that's what I've been doing for each one! Is that not the way you are supposed to do it?
    Well i dont want to pork Melina....meh....(well im lying to myself really,not my favourite Bond girl,but of course i would shag her !)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have to confess that I've been using the 'porking' test as well.
    Are there some strange people out there who base their decision on acting or how much they like the character or something?

Surely it's all about the pork?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Are there some strange people out there who base their decision on acting or how much they like the character or something?

Surely it's all about the pork?

Time to scrap this entire thread and start fresh with a 'Porking' category.
    One thing that's evident from this round is that most people seem to enjoy the humor in Spectre. Is there an overall consensus on that? I never thought much of the puns in it, though they don't really take away from the experience for me.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    It's a different kind of humour to the other films but I like that it's subtle "chuckle to yourself" rather than in your face
  • Mansfield wrote: »
    One thing that's evident from this round is that most people seem to enjoy the humor in Spectre. Is there an overall consensus on that? I never thought much of the puns in it, though they don't really take away from the experience for me.

SP's humour is way, way off compared to what we got in SF and CR. That car chase is groan-worthy.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,263
    I didn't mind the Italian guy at all, thought that was a nice touch. The radio set to New York, New York was spotty for my liking, but didn't really bother me. What was absolutely horrendous was the entirety of Moneypenny. If that is considered humor, I guess I'll have to amend my opinion of it benignly missing the mark...
  • Mansfield wrote: »
    I didn't mind the Italian guy at all, thought that was a nice touch. The radio set to New York, New York was spotty for my liking, but didn't really bother me. What was absolutely horrendous was the entirety of Moneypenny. If that is considered humor, I guess I'll have to amend my opinion of it benignly missing the mark...

I'm just the opposite. Moneypenny was a fun new spin on the classic relationship, one of the only times the film nailed that kind of take, but the Italian man was dumb and the music cringeworthy.

And then there's, "OF COURSE, MR. WHITE!"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Birdleson, you're so, so stuffy.
    ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    PTS: FYEO
    Title track: FYEO 
    Main villain: SP 
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Dialogue: FYEO
    Score: FYEO
    Settings: SP
    Action: FYEO
    Humour: SP
    Benign Bizarre: SP
    Suspense: FYEO
    Minor Characters: SP
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: FYEO 

FYEO: 8
    SP: 10

Both near the bottom of my rankings.
  • Let's get our final entries in, shall we?
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Octopussy will win with her eyes closed, one of my favourites
    Time for Octopussy?