No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Is it October 7th yet? And if not, why?
    I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
    I've just been informed via a reliable source that Daniel Craig won't be coming back to Bond. Nope, he's done a deal to present Great British Bake Off on Ch 4! I know this is a surprising move by Daniel but I think it's a good career decision.

1443609336-8128b3a6-7cd7-4b7c-9457-21b5a5873ff2-620x372.jpeg
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    I want to see this. This series has thrived on variety and this reboot era has been a breath of fresh air so far. They have broken new ground and I hope they continue. Sure, they could be more "Bond" on things in the future but just be patient and give them time. They can do a soft reboot again after 25 and then do whatever they want. Going back to cliched, check-the-numbers Bond is not an option, IMO. They need to stay competitive.
    Chliched, check-the-numbers Bond done right wouldn´t be much of a problem. The problem is they try so hard thinking outside the box that they don´t have any breath left for making a really good film.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I've just been informed via a reliable source that Daniel Craig won't be coming back to Bond. Nope, he's done a deal to present Great British Bake Off on Ch 4! I know this is a surprising move by Daniel but I think it's a good career decision.

1443609336-8128b3a6-7cd7-4b7c-9457-21b5a5873ff2-620x372.jpeg

Can anyone explain to me how this pair have got such a bob on themselves that they have the temerity to quit?

You're not Clarkson girls; you should take whatever work you're jammy enough to blag with your extremely limited talent.

Rob Brydon summed it up perfectly in his criminally overlooked spoof quiz show 'Annually Retentive' when he said 'They've hardly set the world alight. They're a couple of girls who made their undergraduate chums laugh at uni, got a lucky break with a show they did aeons ago. After that they've just sold bread.'

No do doubt they're both on a lucrative BBC contract they don't want to jeopardise. Their safe blend of blandness and mediocrity just the sort of thing the BBC looks for so it would be tragic if the corporation lost them. Unlike Stewart Lee who has been binned - nice one Hayers.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Are there generic movie lovers out here who dare to admit that blockbusters nowadays don't really use melodies anymore that are incorporated into the action?

There are a few retro examples I think, like Henry Jackman in "Kingsman" and Daniel Pemberton in "UNCLE". But despite that it's all the same. From "Furious 7" to "Mission: Impossible" (guys 'loving' Joe Kraemer need to wake up and listen carefully. He didn't compose ANY original hummable melody at all in "Rogue Nation". We should thank Lalo Shuffling!), from "Batman vs. Superman" to "Spy", from "Captain America" to "Taken". It's all the same.

Regarding Thomas Newnan? I can't stand the shitting over the man anymore. If there's someone who knew how to make emotions even more believable and compelling, then it was certainly him.

Kingsman's score was pretty good. It was more Bondian than both of Newman's efforts, that's for sure. I thought UNCLE's score was rather generic 60's surf rock I can't remember anything about it. I can't speak for Furious 7. But Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation had a great score. Kraemer, used the Mission Impossible theme and The Plot by (Lalo Schifrin) excellently. Kraemer had no problem using someone else's themes. It was peppered nicely throughout the film, which is how the Bond theme should be used but, No screw that. Let's just use it for the End Credits now...

I can't remember any of the music from Batman v Superman, Spy, Captain America or Taken so I guess you are right on those.

To give Newman credit, he did come up with a little bit nice material for both Bond films he worked on, but sadly the majority of it, is that same, generic, boring typical music heard in most blockbusters today. Not enough Bond theme. And then for Spectre having most of his work on Skyfall just reused note for note took me out of the movie every time it happened. I would stop and think, That was from Skyfall! It's just laziness and bad music direction, So while I may criticize Newman, I at least give my reasons, and sure I maybe overdo it at times, but I'm so damn passionate about music and the Bond sound. Newman's work doesn't compel me. He certainly doesn't elevate "emotions or make things more believable" To me. What does that even mean anyway? John Barry, George Martin, Michael Kamen and David Arnold, they can compel me, they can elevate emotions and make a great score while using the Bond theme in great ways. That's how Bond scores should be. Not minimalist and themeless, making me want to listen to those old scores.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    UNCLE's score was something that would be written for a Spaghetti Western buddy cop comedy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Bond theme plays over the end credits because that is the most exciting part of the film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,043
    The Bond theme plays over the end credits because that is the most exciting part of the film.

That's not far from the truth in the case of SPECTRE.

Shardlake wrote: »

That's not far from the truth in the case of SPECTRE.

I hear James Bond Jr is better than Spectre?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @bondjames, at least that's something - we don't know anything at this point: is he staying? Is he leaving? Is he waiting to make a decision? Has he already decided? If he confirms that he's waiting for the distribution issue to be settled (along with awaiting a script, possibly a director), then that tells us he's still interested in doing another.

After SP, you can't blame him for waiting for a completed script (if that's what's happening).
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,622
    barryt007 wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    the trouble with doing a "last Bond story" for Daniel is that it has the ability to set an annoying precedence - and thats rebooting, and ending every arc with each new Bond actor.. that will get old and tiresome really fast... yes, the franchise has essentially done extremely soft reboots whenever a new actor takes over - but for 40 years, they did follow a general continuity, even if tonally they shifted between Sean, George, Rog, Dalts and Broz - we are all smart enough to know that they all played the same character, and that as one got older, someone new would take over..... so what now, when Dan's done - recast M, Moneypenny, Q, Tanner or whoever - and start all over again?.. then when that actor's done, recast everyone all over again?.... i would rather see Fiennes, Harris, Wishaw and Kinnear stick around post Craig and continue on with business like they used to, instead of giving each actor now moving forward their own isolated story arcs..

I totally agree with this...this is the way I want it to be as well...
    Me too. We sound like broken records though.
    We will have to wait out the Craig era to see if we can get back to Bond normal again.
    For sure Fiennes, Harris and Whishaw can stick around forever. They've each got about 20 good years left in them.
    There is no reason they can't be the new Lee-Maxwell-Llewelyn trio.
    And this business about Bond wanting to get out while he still can, yadda yadda yawn!
    It's so out of thin air.
    Did Fleming not write Bond as motivated by duty. He believed England was worth fighting for -for King and country.
    "For England James" mocks Trevalyan. Bond doesn't flinch. GE got that right.
    Fleming hated the Nazis, and post-war really didn't seem to be too warm to Germans period.
    Fleming had a breakthrough in book #11 OHMSS, when Bond got drunk with the Luftwaffe pilot he met in the bar -as if Fleming was only now coming to terms with Germans. Bond and his new beer buddy agreed to put the war behind them.
    But Fleming never came to terms with the Soviet threat.
    Right to the last book, Bond had motivation to do his duty.
    He was not concerned about getting out.
    He was never concerned with getting killed. In fact we are told several times that Bond didn't expect to live to see the mandatory 00 retirement age of 45, and that didn't phase him at all.
    And speaking of, Bond is also a very senior civil servant
    His fate, if he got to age 45, was in all likelihood to continue in the service, in much less dangerous capacity, and like any normal middle-years person, be cognizant of pension and eventual retirement considerations.
    He'd still have his Bond adventurous bent, but I don't think he'd be wanting to get out and squander a gold-plated government pension, that persons in private sector can only dream of. Would keep him in Dom and martinis until his dying days, not to mention his gambling stakes.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

At least then finally one realises he has seen a Bond movie and not an episode of Grey's Anatomy with Bold And The Beautiful style acting in the case of Skyfall.

At least then finally one realises he has seen a Bond movie and not an episode of Grey's Anatomy with Bold And The Beautiful style acting in the case of Skyfall.
    Too true! =))
    Bold And The Beautiful style acting in the case of Skyfall.

If we're talking Stanislavski I've just got four little words for you:

'Mr White! Of course!'

Terrible.
    This puts any comedy writing team to shame.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S-DsA4PZ8ik"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,622
    .......and futher more... ;) There is no reason to think Bond wouldn't always be motivated by duty.
    You don't have to be a brash young gun toting OO to be motivated to protect the realm from its enemies. God knows there is never any shortage.

==this reboot business about Bond lacking motivation, IMO is much contrived drama.
    It's not consistent with what we know about Bond.
    Best to take the reboot films as an alternative take on Bond.
    Bond going from old dog to suddenly motivated again, to wanting out again, in the space of two Sam Mendes films, not to mention rediscovering his long lost foster brother- its enough to make your head spin.
    If I may borrow from Conrad. The drama! The drama!
    And he wants out because he met another girl - Swann?!
    Does SP, in any convincing fashion actually explain why Swann would get to him. Answer is no I think. Mi6 should make him pay for that gun he tossed in the river.

I am hoping once the Craig era has run its course, that we can get back to normal Bond- the guy that'sin his prime 30-something 00 years- the agent that is professionally motivated by duty, and personally motivated by his appetites.
    I think most of us relate to both his motivations - his duty and his indulgences.

The series has gone off the rails IMO. Which is not to say, one can't enjoy these alt-Bond films. I watch em. I got them on the shelf, but I do consider them the alt-Bonds, along with NSNA, which of course was about a retired Bond being lured back into the fray.
    The alt angle was the only reason Sean agreed to do the film - if he could play his age as older retired Bond ( but ironically younger that the guy who was still playing the prime-time 00. Such is the magic fantasy of filmmaking).
    NSNA was the original old-dog Bond film.

The post from @haserot resonates. Yes!!! It would be real nice to get Bond back to normal. There is a lot that can be done within the paramaters of the normal.
    No need to go off reservation.
    Bond was in his 30s (actor) in just seven films.
    The franchise needs to focus less on Oscar bait and more fan bait.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Murdock wrote: »

SPOT-ON

SPOT-ON
    Seconded. And dare I say "a lot more" to focus on the fan bait. A lot!
    And yet, whenever a Bond film wins an Oscar fans see it as proof the franchise isn t B-films through and through after all. Even if it is an Oscar for best end credits.
    It's all a matter of perspective.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Hear, hear! You forgot the first rule of mass media, EON: Give the people what they want!

"Ehhhhhnnnnnngggggggnnnnnnnggggggg-khplarrrgggghhhhh!"

(my best sea-drill impression...second to only my spot-on impression of Brad Pitt at the end of Se7en)
    And yet, whenever a Bond film wins an Oscar fans see it as proof the franchise isn t B-films through and through after all. Even if it is an Oscar for best end credits.

Considering that's the only place we get the James Bond theme these days, maybe the end credits should get an Oscar. The unsung hero of the Craig era...
    David Arnold should get an Oscar for having his CR Bond theme being used at the end credits for SF and SP. :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Hear, hear! You forgot the first rule of mass media, EON: Give the people what they want!

(my best sea-drill impression...second to only my spot-on impression of Brad Pitt at the end of Se7en)

Considering that's the only place we get the James Bond theme these days, maybe the end credits should get an Oscar. The unsung hero of the Craig era...
    What's in the boxx!!??
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
  • jake24 wrote: »

What's in the boxx!!??

My head off to you, sir. That's better than I could do.

What like having the DB5 relentlessly hammered up our arses film after film like we're a guest at one of Barrymore's parties? I'd rather not.

Why do they need to bait anyone? Why can't they just make good, solid Bond films?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This puts any comedy writing team to shame.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S-DsA4PZ8ik"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    One of the great scenes in Bondom. It's motivated me to watch this again soon.

What like having the DB5 relentlessly hammered up our arses film after film like we're a guest at one of Barrymore's parties? I'd rather not.

Why do they need to bait anyone? Why can't they just make good, solid Bond films?
    Yeah, what an ugly car that is.