Which Bond film is the most intellectually and/or emotionally engaging?

Comments

• GBFGBF
    Yes he would watch Diamonds are forever which is his favourite Bond film :)
  • GBFGBF
    Daniel would watch Roger in LALD that is his favourite Bond film...
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Bond would listen to Radio 4.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    patb wrote: »
    Carry on Spying :-)
    PS There is still a weight that comes with books and literature that you cant get from film or TV. So when M quotes a poem in SF, it had weight to it (I know some hate that scene) but she did not quote from a movie. Its a good trick (used well in ST6 as Plumber loves quoting Shakespeare) and we can assume that Bond had a classic style of education where he would learn to love or appreciate books. So seeing books in his flat to me would seem natuaral but seeing a 50 inch Sony LED somehow does not sit right. Its a bit too mainstream. Bond sits above the populace. It also then makes him a more aspirational character, we all know we should read more and we all know we should not be wastimg time watching meaningless drivel on the TV. I want to look up to Bond in this area and not think that he is also wasting his time.

Perfect surmise of the 'Should Bond have a TV?' question.

The answer is no. Can't imagine him watching telly (maybe a bit of F1 at a pinch) nor can I imagine him watching any DVDs so no he wouldn't have one. It's only there for the M plot point (and so Sony can say 'Look Bond watches a 50 inch 4K').
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I can imagine Bond sitting down to watch Loose Women with a cup of tea and a packet if Jaffa Cakes....
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    royale65 wrote: »
    I can imagine Bond sitting down to watch Loose Women with a cup of tea and a packet if Jaffa Cakes....

Jammy dodgers, surely?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Bond does not drink tea so Jamaican blue mountain coffee & a Garibaldi biscuit .
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I can see 007 watch the Ryder Cup. And Formula One. That's about it.

so Bond gets Sky?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond spends most of his spare time browsing the Bond forums. He cries a lot.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Bond does not drink tea so Jamaican blue mountain coffee & a Garibaldi biscuit .

Nor does he watch Loose Women. Although I heard he's very fond of Jaffa Cakes.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The most intellectually engaging Bond film, for me, personally, is either CR, FYEO or TLD.

The more emotional Bond films for me are OHMSS, QOS or SP.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Intellectually engaging:
    FRWL, FYEO, TLD, CR, SP

Emotionally engaging:
    FRWL, OHMSS, TSWLM, GE, QOS, SP

Pure brainless fun:
    DAF, LALD, MR, AVTAK, DAD

Gritty, serious:
    DN, LTK, TWINE, SF
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    One thing I often think about, and that I believe gets unnoticed largely, is how in the later Moore era there was an attempt to portray a really engaging detente between Russia and the UK, with Gogol representing a lovable rogue of the former, and Bond, M and his crew representing the representatives of the latter. There were even obvious attempts made to make Gogol and his team the Russian alternate versions or parallels of Britain's M, Moneypenny and Bond, furthering driving the idea that they were not so different after all.

It was interesting to watch Bond's experience alongside Gogol develop throughout that period in the series as each of the film's plots carried out and sometimes involved both of their interests colliding. Sometimes they butted heads and had different goals, but they could also work together in a compromising sort of way and exuded a sort of gentlemanliness that garnered each other's respect. This was all very reminiscent to me of Reagan and Gorbachev's relationship from the same sort of time, as they were two men from countries that shouldn't have been getting along as well as they were who made great change together and influenced dramatic policy changes that shaped the world thereafter.

Obviously Gogol wasn't in the necessary governmental position of power to manage a similar sort of influence as in that example from history, but I've always loved how his character developed over the series when he did appear, and how he and Bond navigated each other as two powerful and resourceful but ultimately respectable men in a very dangerous business.

Gogol's character effectively un-demonized the rough Russians and presented a "peace not war" mentality to Bond and his colleagues that showcased the shadowy and ominous sounding USSR in a totally new light, a vision unfettered by western propaganda and antiquated ideas about the nation.

Gogol doesn't seem to be as praised a character as he should be, but he's always been one I've been fascinated by, and he's far and away one of the crown jewels of the Moore era in all that EON dared to do with him, played brilliantly by Walter Gotell.
  • GBFGBF
    Intellectually engaging:
    FRWL, FYEO, TLD, CR, SP

Emotionally engaging:

Pure brainless fun:

Gritty, serious:
    DN, LTK, TWINE, SF

I actually cannot agree... Where the hell is SP intelectually engaging? I probably missed that part. The script has no interesting storyline, there are absolutely no plot twists or surprising elements. Tell me at least one interedting or memorable character in that film...

On the other hand, I wouldn't call AVTAK brainless fun. It is not even an extremely funny film. It is in fact one of the few films where Bond is actually disgusted by the villain and shows this. After the death of Tibbitt Bond actually becomes very serious despite some silly moments. It is actually one of the few times when you see a development in Bond's emotions.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't find any intellectually engaging and the only one that has resonated emotionally with me is CR. They're just unadulterated entertainment to me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GBF wrote: »
    Intellectually engaging:
    FRWL, FYEO, TLD, CR, SP

Emotionally engaging:

Pure brainless fun:

Gritty, serious:
    DN, LTK, TWINE, SF

I actually cannot agree... Where the hell is SP intelectually engaging? I probably missed that part. The script has no interesting storyline, there are absolutely no plot twists or surprising elements. Tell me at least one interedting or memorable character in that film...

On the other hand, I wouldn't call AVTAK brainless fun. It is not even an extremely funny film. It is in fact one of the few films where Bond is actually disgusted by the villain and shows this. After the death of Tibbitt Bond actually becomes very serious despite some silly moments. It is actually one of the few times when you see a development in Bond's emotions.

I tried to put them into one or the other category. Not one belongs solely into a single category.

AVTAK is pure brainless fun in many places, but yes, there are the more serious moments and Zorin is quite the ruthless psychopath.

As for SP, if you can't find one memorable character in the movie, then it's best not to discuss it at all I guess. That's fine.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    One thing I often think about, and that I believe gets unnoticed largely, is how in the later Moore era there was an attempt to portray a really engaging detente between Russia and the UK, with Gogol representing a lovable rogue of the former, and Bond, M and his crew representing the representatives of the latter. There were even obvious attempts made to make Gogol and his team the Russian alternate versions or parallels of Britain's M, Moneypenny and Bond, furthering driving the idea that they were not so different after all.

It was interesting to watch Bond's experience alongside Gogol develop throughout that period in the series as each of the film's plots carried out and sometimes involved both of their interests colliding. Sometimes they butted heads and had different goals, but they could also work together in a compromising sort of way and exuded a sort of gentlemanliness that garnered each other's respect. This was all very reminiscent to me of Reagan and Gorbachev's relationship from the same sort of time, as they were two men from countries that shouldn't have been getting along as well as they were who made great change together and influenced dramatic policy changes that shaped the world thereafter.

Obviously Gogol wasn't in the necessary governmental position of power to manage a similar sort of influence as in that example from history, but I've always loved how his character developed over the series when he did appear, and how he and Bond navigated each other as two powerful and resourceful but ultimately respectable men in a very dangerous business.

Gogol's character effectively un-demonized the rough Russians and presented a "peace not war" mentality to Bond and his colleagues that showcased the shadowy and ominous sounding USSR in a totally new light, a vision unfettered by western propaganda and antiquated ideas about the nation.

Gogol doesn't seem to be as praised a character as he should be, but he's always been one I've been fascinated by, and he's far and away one of the crown jewels of the Moore era in all that EON dared to do with him, played brilliantly by Walter Gotell.

@obrady: how old are you? I've been reading your posts for quite some time and I truly find your meditations incredibly insightful and caring to the character. You're eloquent, passionate and intelligent.

You nailed my own feelings for General Gogol, as well as the parallels with Reagan and Gorbachev. I was born in the 70s, but grew up in the 80s where I was more cognizant of geo-political strife. Moore's latter films (including the flawed AVTAK), are my favourites from his era, and much has to do with the "contemporary" parallels of the time.

Thanks OBrady. Keep writing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @peter, I thank you for your kind words. I'll be turning 23 this October. :)
    edited September 2016 Posts: 45,489
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The most intellectually engaging Bond film, for me, personally, is either CR, FYEO or TLD.

The more emotional Bond films for me are OHMSS, QOS or SP.

I will just agree with that guy although CR has it both ways.
  • peterpeter Toronto

@Brady, I had a feeling you were a pup. You write like you have an old soul, my friend. Keep it going!

Re watched the barn scene in OHMSS. I've decided it's easily the most moving "romantic" scene in the whole series.

Better than Craig and Eva and better than Tim and Mariam.

You really FEEL the intimacy and affection.
    peter wrote: »

@Brady, I had a feeling you were a pup. You write like you have an old soul, my friend. Keep it going!

@peter, if I had a penny for every time I've heard or felt that, I'd be a rich man. I wear my old soul proudly though, and I thank you again for your kind words. I'll most certainly keep on a writin'; it's one of the only things that drives me.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,416
    Intellectually engaging:

FRWL, YOLT, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM, FYEO, OP, TLD, GE, TMND, TWINE, (CR) QOS, Skyfall (SP)

From those QOS, TMND, LALD, FRWL and OHMSS the moost.

Emotionally engaging:

FRWL, YOLT, OHMSS, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, FYEO, OP, TLD, LTK, GE, TMND, TWINE, (DAD,CR), QOS (Skyfall, SP).

Hate is also emotionally and that;s what i feel after DAD and with CR inspecialy. QOS is very intellectually movie with high level of emotionally thinking.

Don't know where to at: DR NO, GF, TB, DAF, AVTAK.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Hate is also emotionally and that;s what i feel after DAD and with CR inspecialy.

He he.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @OBrady must concur with @Peter. Gogol sure is an underrated character. I really like his reaction to 'that's detante, comrade'. His hand movement and smile are very cool. He reminds me of a Croatian friend of mine who has a similar way of moving.
    @OBrady must concur with @Peter. Gogol sure is an underrated character. I really like his reaction to 'that's detante, comrade'. His hand movement and smile are very cool. He reminds me of a Croatian friend of mine who has a similar way of moving.

@CommanderRoss, one of my favorite moments in the franchise is Gogol's reaction to the destruction of the ATAC. Many men in his position in such a bloodthirsty business would fire upon Bond with furious anger, but instead he treats the instance as a return to the regular status quo between the KGB and MI6. I imagine him thinking in his head, "You don't have the power, and I don't have the power, Mr. Bond. Once again, we are equals."

Such a great and complex character.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

@CommanderRoss, one of my favorite moments in the franchise is Gogol's reaction to the destruction of the ATAC. Many men in his position in such a bloodthirsty business would fire upon Bond with furious anger, but instead he treats the instance as a return to the regular status quo between the KGB and MI6. I imagine him thinking in his head, "You don't have the power, and I don't have the power, Mr. Bond. Once again, we are equals."

Such a great and complex character.

Yep, absolutely! And we're not alone:
    http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Anatol_Alexis_Gogol
    Love him in Octopussy too. But the ATAC one does stand out.
    @CommanderRoss, yes, OP is one of Gogol's biggest moments of action in the series where his view of "peace not war" comes shining through in contrast to Orlov's manic anger and militaristic sensibility. It does sterling work of characterizing him as a willing ally of MI6 with a shared goal, and not an enemy, supported by his actions in past films.

I know that in TLD Gogol was originally going to be the man Bond fake assassinates, but that then had to be given to Pushkin when Gotell's health made him unable to be a part of it. That would've been fantastic to see, just for how shocking it would be to see everyone react to Bond shooting an old ally before the plot behind it all is revealed.

I like that the last image we get of Gogol is him enjoying some nice music with Bond and the rest of his colleagues at TLD's end. A peaceful and friendly finish for a character who was always so peaceful and friendly himself.
    Ha, didn't know that! That's pretty cool. Indeed, pity we missed out on that seeing Gogol's track record, but I must say I love Pushkin too. And indeed it's great fun seeing Gogol at the end. Somehow it felt like a deserved promotion. Funny how this all puts Moore's films in an even friendlier light.