Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Looks similar to an old attempt I used to have called GoldenEye for Doom II. It had bonus levels based on Dr. No, FRWL, and a few other classic films.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 70
    I recently made some concept pictures of a modern Bond game made with GTA V
    wQfn4iw.png
    jJ5K69a.png
    iPsBZfO.png
    mFvWlGi.png
    jnJwUU5.png
    U2lgjWz.png
    4nRffc3.png
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    VERY GOOD!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Gummy wrote: »
    I recently made some concept pictures of a modern Bond game made with GTA V
    wQfn4iw.png
    jJ5K69a.png
    iPsBZfO.png
    mFvWlGi.png
    jnJwUU5.png
    U2lgjWz.png
    4nRffc3.png

The Everything or Nothing HUD. Interesting choice.
  • GagReathleGagReathle France
    Hello everyone!

I'm new here! I am a french reviewer, currently doing a full retrospective of the James Bond saga in video games. I grew up with the James Bond Games, starting with Tomorrow Never Dies on my PS1 (didn't have a N64 at the time), not the best game at all but I still kinda have a feeling of nostalgia while playing it!

I discovered MI6-HQ/Community a few weeks ago, during some research about the Bond games. It is truly the best Bond website I've ever seen!

I started this last summer (2015), and here are the games I choose to play :
    - The Stealth Affair
    - The Duel
    - GoldenEye N64
    - James Bond 007 (GameBoy)
    - Tomorrow Never Dies
    - The World is Not Enough (N64/PS1)
    - 007 Racing
    - Agent Under Fire
    - Nightfire (console version only)
    - Everything or Nothing
    - GoldenEye : Rogue Agent
    - From Russia With Love
    - Quantum of Solace (PS2/PS3)
    - Blood Stone
    - GoldenEye Reloaded
    - 007 Legends

I decided to skip GameBoy/DS version, and to forget about the mobile games (even World of Espionnage).

I am currently playing GoldenEye Reloaded, which is better than I expected it would be, it's a CoD game but it is still kinda fun to play, even if it is not enough JamesBondly.

Now I realized that EA Games truly try to do something with the Bond saga. I mean, Nightfire always been my favorite, but I like how they try to be apart of the movies and books. Having a character such as Zoe Nightshade is great, it seems that she is a sort of a female-Felix Leiter (weird to think that James would just bang Felix Leiter though).
    I regret that Nightfire's story is to close to Moonraker's, and that Agent Under Fire and Everything or Nothing's stories are so... bad? AUF's is simple, kinda weird, but I still like it. It would have been a bad movie I guess but it's still cool. EoN on the other hand is just nonsense. Diavolo is a poor vilain, and I feel sorry for Willem Dafoe 'cause he would have been a great bad guy.

But at least EA Games tried to do something! I

Activision didn't even try... expect with Blood Stone, which is their best game. The story is not perfect but it makes sense and it's entertaining, it feels close to a Bond movie, and the end fits perfectly with Spectre. The gameplay itself is not perfect, it could have been a lot better. Someone here said that it was too theatrical and I agree. We can't even jump, roll or crouch. It doesn't feel real while playing it, the level design is poor. It's still a good game 'cause it's a good James Bond! Activision should have try to improve this formula, instead of going back to a copy/paste of CoD.

The result of this is that Bond games just lost their identity. They were just "a new shooter", and didn't try to be Bond at all.
    I deeply regret that because Bond Games shouldn't be just shooters. I mean, it can have shoot in it, but it's not the essence of it. What happened to espionnage? gadgets? side ops?

I would love that Bond Games will become a saga apart of the movies, just like the books. I'd like them to cast an actor to become the gaming's James Bond. Could be Troy Baker for instance, even if he's not english.
    And then they need to be ambitious. A little like a A-RPG maybe, such as Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol. With zones to explore, people to talk to, an investigation to make... and Uncharted-like action scenes maybe. But James need to have a GREAT game. Not just good games that fans like, but games that everyone would love.

I want that but i'm pretty sure it will never happen... Maybe in ten years though.
    In the meantime I would like a Telltale Series' Bond Game. It would be cool, story driven, not full of action, and could be set in the 50's. I'd love it.

Will James Bond return ? If he does, he better be great.
    @GagReathle, what a solid entrance!

Welcome aboard! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Welcome to MI6, @GagReathle. That's an impressive undertaking.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I can't remember if I've asked this before, but it's been a question in my mind for a while now. Adam Blackwood is credited as the voice of Bond in Agent Under Fire, with Andrew Bicknell providing the likeness. However, if you look at the following video showcasing Bicknell's voice, it's clear that he did in fact voice Bond in addition to providing the likeness for the game.

If I'm not mistaken, Blackwood provided the voices for the earlier EA games, but certainty not this one. I wonder what the confusion was.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,423
    @jake24, Adam Blackwood wasn't the voice of Bond in Agent Under Fire. In the MI-6 article, both are credited as 'James Bond', that's because Blackwood voiced Bond in The World is Not Enough and AUF did start off as PS2's port of TWINE. It was Bicknell who both voiced Bond and provided his likeness for the character in Agent Under Fire. However, Blackwood also voiced secondary characters, particularly some of the AI, like in the previous games, so some of those voices were recycled from the original TWINE port. When it comes to Bond, Blackwood mainly impersonated Brosnan's voice. In Tomorrow Never Dies, 007 Racing and PS1's The World Is Not Enough. The N64 version of TWINE was Tim Bentinck.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Thanks for clearing that up, @ClarkDevlin. That Bicknell has got a very distinctive voice, perfect for Bond.
    I couldn't agree more, @jake24. He has the definitive Bond voice.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Yes, it's quite a huge undertaking, and I will not be able to share it with you when it will be online 'cause it will be in French :/

But it's interesting to notice how Bond Games evolved. I think at the time, adaptation games were just easy money for the publishers. There wasn't really any ambitious creative directions.

Now it would be different. There is less and less adaptation, and the ones that people notice are those who are actually ambitious and creative.

Batman Arkham blew everything up.
    Star Wars Games by EA Games are at their beginning, and the first Battlefront isn't perfect at all, but we can see a good direction for the future. We can see that they are involve and that they are taking their time to make great games. At least I hope so.
    Spider-Man by PlayStation/Marvel/Insomniac could also be awesome.

I think now would be the perfect time to bring James back in a creative way. I don't see a random developper take the franchise and do another boring shooter. No. I think that they are some creative people out there willing to do great things with the franchise, and I hope MGM and Danjack will be smart enough to give it to them.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 38
    Interesting matter about that James Bond voice!
    For the record, because I'm french, I was not able to play all Bond Games with the english voices...

Sometimes there weren't any english voices on my PS2 discs and I had no choice but to play those games with the french voices and... god! They are so bad!

Here is the french voice for Nightfire (fortunatly, I played this game in english) :
    Check it out at 4m10s

Been playing it for 10 hours, @BMW_with_missiles. :D
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    @ClarkDevlin It looks really great! I'll have to download it later. My whole day has been No Man's Sky.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,588
    @ClarkDevlin, @BMW_with_missiles

Been playing it too. It's ridiculously fun, and the score is wicked.
    Indeed, @jake24. Although, they really, indeed, have changed some of the corridors and concepts as they reconstructed the maps from scratch. Even though the walls and places are similar, the corridors of the Aztec Temple is entirely different.
    I'll check it out when it has a single player campaign.
    I don't think it will, @Agent007391. One of the developers that I'm friends with told me that they strongly fear Eon would sue over the Bond rights and that might lead them to shut down the whole project.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If they had the option for a non timed free roaming mode, I would be more than happy with that. :)
    Does it have a bot system?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Does it have a bot system?
    Yes, it does. You can select their level of expertise/difficulty in tackling.
    "Agent", "Secret Agent", "00 Agent", "007".
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A 30 minute look at the GoldenEye remake we deserved...
    A substitute for Dr. Doak?! But that's just... Wrong!

Anybody else think the Bond model looks a lot like the Agent Under Fire model?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just came here to post that; I was beyond elated when this was announced, and heartbroken once it was canceled. What a shame.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Man, I didn't know there was actual game-play footage released. I hope, somehow, someday, this gets released (I know, I know, but I can hope).
    I want to ask you guys something. What made Goldeneye n64 so great? Aside from how revolutionary it was for console shooters etc. I'm talking about Gameplay features and elements, like the amount of weapons, how you can just run and gun, the aiming method, the way characters move, etc..
    It was pure, unadulterated fun.