Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Level design, The freedom of exploring every nook and cranny of a level, The great soundtrack, It's great use of sound effects and most importantly that Rare style and charm they brought to their games before Microsoft bought them out.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Gummy wrote: »
    I want to ask you guys something. What made Goldeneye n64 so great? Aside from how revolutionary it was for console shooters etc. I'm talking about Gameplay features and elements, like the amount of weapons, how you can just run and gun, the aiming method, the way characters move, etc..

The things that made Goldeneye great;

The shear variety of uniquely performing weapons, and the fact that you could carry as many as you want.

The responsive aiming controls.

Large number of levels.

Variety of levels.

Areas in levels that serve no purpose for your mission (like real buildings).

Replay value.

Music.

Great local multiplayer.

Basically everything that makes it the antithesis of Call of Duty.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 13,894
    Well, it had a long single player mode (with 4 difficulty levels, the first 3 offering more objectives per mission, the higher to difficulty) and a robust multiplayer mode. Not to mention the now defunct Detstar site that was dedicated to the game, and all the aspects of the game that we weren't to know about, such as the tower across from the dam.
    Personally, I don't think it is the best Bond game (NF is), but Goldeneye re-wrote the rulebook not just for Bond games, but for the larger gaming medium, it's influence could be felt for years after it's release. I still have my N64, with now only a handful of games (GE included), I should revisit it, as it has been 10+ years since I last played it.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Extended Bloodstone Theme;

I was so happy to stumble upon this.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sounds much better than that noise that won an Oscar for SP.
    Goldeneye N64 is a very decent game yes but Perfect Dark is better in every way.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    For a reason, whenever I play the Blood Stone title sequence, I always seem to incorporate Ivy Levan's "Who Can You Trust" into it. Glad to see someone already did that on YouTube.
    Now, I don't know much about how the video game industries work and all, especially regarding the licensing issues... But, out of curiosity, can a company acquire the rights to all the previous Bond games from Rare, Electronic Arts and Activision and re-release them? Or such thing isn't existent?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    GoldenEye had wonky licensing. It was owned by Rare and Nintendo. When Microsoft bought Rare, they bought most of the games they previously made, aside from a few things like Starfox and Donkey Kong. Microsoft and Rare worked out a deal with Nintendo for the upscale of GoldenEye for the 360, but there were other reasons that didn't work out. (If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.)

As far as the rest of the franchise goes, I don't think that games carry with the licensing. Like, say, when Activision bought the license from EA, I don't think they got the rights for all the EA games, hence we never got an Agent Under Fire/NightFire/Everything or Nothing HD upscale for the PS3/360 during Activision's time with the license.
  • RC7RC7
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Goldeneye N64 is a very decent game yes but Perfect Dark is better in every way.

Perfect Dark is indeed a fantastic game (underrated actually), but GE was seminal. Single and multi it is the greatest shooter of the era and one of the greatest of all time. The level design alone is as close to perfect as any game of any era.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Perfect Dark is just enhancing something that was already great. Remember that there would be no Perfect Dark if not for GoldenEye.
    So, the entries published by their respective companies are belongings of their own rather than MGM or Danjaq? Like Nighfire, for instance, a property of Electronic Arts alone?
    I believe that to be the case, yes. But, because they don't have the license, EA probably can't rerelease the games themselves.
    Too many complications at once...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,399
    So, the entries published by their respective companies are belongings of their own rather than MGM or Danjaq? Like Nighfire, for instance, a property of Electronic Arts alone?

Remember though, James Bond is it's own IP - if someone wants to use the intellectual character(s) and it's said properties for a game, the game rights do need to be acquired through Danjaq (this is what stops rival films from being made as well)... GE64 was officially licensed through Danjaq - as a matter of fact, that was where i first remember seeing that name when i was young, was this game..

i don't know the specifics of Rare's and Nintendo's deal with Danjaq for GE.. it's quite possible that Danjaq could've approached Nintendo about creating a promotional tie in game for the N64.... either way - whether given or bought, the licensing needs to come from Danjaq (and MGM or whoever else)..
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    From what I understand, Danjaq owns the James Bond I.P. and its primary characters created by either Fleming or the rest of the official efforts, whereas the creation of the games and storylines (if original) are courtesy of the companies they were published by. At least, that's how I grasp it. Say if they'd like to re-release Nightfire, neither EA nor Danjaq/MGM can make a move without each other.
    It dawned on me Clark I may come around to your way of thinking (keeping the games and films separate) provided well one thing

We Get either Fassbender or Hardy as 007 in the game. Think about it if Craig does one more Fassbender may be too old to be 007 for the films but for the games he could be bond do the next 20 years without issue.. Same with Hardy so we could get our Fassbender or Hardy as 007 without compromising on Craig finishing his story.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    So, Bond gaming is basically dead?
    Until somebody comes out of the blue and creates a new GoldenEye. Not literally GoldenEye, but a game that kickstarts Bond gaming in the same way GoldenEye did back on the N64.
    Every time I see a new post in this thread, I hope it's news about a new Bond game coming out that I somehow haven't heard of yet. I am always disappointed.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Every time I see a new post in this thread, I hope it's news about a new Bond game coming out that I somehow haven't heard of yet. I am always disappointed.
    I'm with you. There's always literary Bond at least.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Well we have promise of Horowitz's follow up which for me sounds far more enticing than TM did ...plus Dynamite is shining with their Bond efforts.

Still hopeful that one day will come...
    Maybe for the next generation of gaming consoles and pc. Don't think well see 007 game anytime soon. We'll get movie sooner.
    I know we won't be getting a video game in this very decade. At the earliest, my prediction is 2022. At the earliest.
    Sad really. We could get another Bloodstone, Everything or Nothing or Nightfire while we wait for the next movie.
    I'm craving for the days we had Nightfire. It was a beautiful era for the James Bond saga overall.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    I don't understand why the license isn't given fresh to a new company. I can only imagine what someone like Bethesda or rockstar could do - even on the quick turn around, make-cash-fast budget that many speculate that EON seems to go in for. Rock star made 'The Warriors' which considering its origins and cult appeal isn't exactly mainstream - and that game was great fun. EON could definitely afford a gaming company to work within budget and timeframe to come up with something fun and slightly original? Or is because EON won't let the company stray too far from the established game style that those companies won't take on the work to create within those restrictions?
    There may be are behind the scenes discussions we're not aware of... I don't know...

Perhaps they're looking for a popular publisher that's ready to deliver. Rockstar or Rocksteady... Who knows?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,894
    I'm craving for the days we had Nightfire. It was a beautiful era for the James Bond saga overall.

2001-2004 was indeed the best time to be both a gamer and a Bond fan.