Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• edited November 2016 Posts: 9,779
    Yeah sadly Bond gaming is kind of dead which is a shame as well 007 legends is far from great it's honestly not bad when compared to the void we have gotten... And in playing Batman the Telltale series I am unsure I want them to have bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,894
    007 Legends is the only Bond game that I did not bother buying. I just didn't care for the basic idea of dropping Craigs Bond into past films. Was there anything to recommend about it?
    007 Legends is the only Bond game that I did not bother buying. Was there anything to recommend about it?

The level design is quite nice and it is fun playing through the levels sure the voice acting is down right grating but the music is good gadgets make a welcome return over all it's not bad

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I agree with @Risico007. If anything, I like Legends better than Reloaded. It definitely didn't deserve the backlash it had gotten from everyone. Certainly a better game than Rogue Agent itself.
    I loved reloaded more but that is just my opinion

I still wish the cool cover system from Quantum and Bloodstone returned in the later 2 games that was my 1 issue
    Agreed. But, apparently, the third person cover system is a problem with some people. Someone I know, a downright FPS fanatic, said that Quantum ruined the experience for him because of the cover system. Go figure. Haha!

If anything, I thought it was cool.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Risico007, how are the Telltale Batman episodes? I've intended to get them, but their lack of actual gameplay beyond button pressing doesn't engage me.
    I played the first arc, Brady. It's an interactive animated series.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I played the first arc, Brady. It's an interactive animated series.

Was it...satisfying?
    I enjoy it but it not amazing I feel one so far spends way to much time as Bruce Wayne
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I enjoy it but it not amazing I feel one so far spends way to much time as Bruce Wayne

I can appreciate how the game is trying to make you really get inside the head of Bruce outside of the suit, but the Rocksteady games are more up to my speed. The best Batman simulators that ever will be.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 3,000
    007 Legends is the only Bond game that I did not bother buying. I just didn't care for the basic idea of dropping Craigs Bond into past films. Was there anything to recommend about it?

@MajorDSmythe My appreciation for 007 Legends has grown a lot over time. As @ClarkDevlin noted, it's better than Goldeneye: Reloaded, and in my opinion, it's better than all of the PS1 Bond games. I enjoyed playing through the storylines of some classic Bond adventures. The assault on Piz Gloria is my favorite part of the game, and is one of the best sequences in any Bond game. The LTK levels were quite good as well, and there are other good parts too. At its worst moments, the game is an average COD style FPS, but at its best, it's downright Bond.
    @MajorDSmythe, I can understand why you're not enthused about the idea of 007 Legends. I know you don't care for Craig's Bond, so seeing him take the place that belongs to Dalton in LTK must be frustrating.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

No.
    It's an excrescence of hell. What the bloody f*** were the smoking when creating that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I thought the LTK part was the weakest. The one time I'd say they should have gone the TLD route. At least it had more action to work with so to speak. They also could have made the battle with Whitaker more interesting too. Like Bond walking down a corridor of Whitaker's dressed like generals and such only to have one come out and try to kill you. Could have made for a great Scaramanga's Funhouse type of level. Then again, they should have made that a mission though Moonraker was the best mission in the game.
    007 Legends has some good bits like some new renditions of classic John Barry themes and some of it's level designs. But all of the films ere butchered.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I thought the LTK part was the weakest. The one time I'd say they should have gone the TLD route. At least it had more action to work with so to speak. They also could have made the battle with Whitaker more interesting too. Like Bond walking down a corridor of Whitaker's dressed like generals and such only to have one come out and try to kill you. Could have made for a great Scaramanga's Funhouse type of level. Then again, they should have made that a mission though Moonraker was the best mission in the game.

I agree about TLD over LTK, @Murdock. It'd be cool to see a mission made out of the Afghanistan sequence where Bond battles his way to the plane and tries to take off, then faces Necros.

I just can't really stomach these first person games. It really puts me off of every game I see with it as a POV. I just don't see the appeal unless the developer is really trying to make you feel immersed in the world they've created, and the only people I know who even begin to do that well are the Battlefield/Battlefront team.

I feel so much more engaged when I can actually see the character I'm playing, and the controls are less sloppy and clunky for it. I'll take a Blood Stone over a GE: Reloaded or QoS any day.
    It's a matter of taste, really. Personally, I'm better with FPS games, but I also do love TPS primarily because we get to see the protagonist, which explains my preference of enabling the option to switch between perspectives.

Blood Stone was a diamond among thorns when it came to Activision. They just cropped every title and pasted it over COD mechanics which puts me off very quickly. The thing is, I have my very personal doubts that Eurocom actually worked on either the original GE update or Legends itself. Judging by the first trailer of GoldenEye that debuted six years ago, it had an entire different gameplay, different set of characters, different layouts and most importantly a different HUD. It felt like an original game, only for Activision to set their foot upon the ground and insist to make them look like a cheap COD:MW knockoff. And look what that led them to.

Still, I prefer 007 Legends over Reloaded any day due to its Classic Bond feeling as well as the gadgets, which if you ask me were pretty much useless but still... Some people might disagree with me on this but I actually think Timothy Watson did a good job in characterizing Bond's voice by throwing in a mixture of Craig and a distinguished mature and posh man into it. What I didn't like was how they tied the stories together, and how Skyfall was merely a promotion but not an actual level with real purpose. Who was Patrice shooting at, anyway? That was, at least, made clear in the film, but not in the game. Alas, you'd think by trying not to spoil the movie they would have brought in the hard drive to the matter and changed the Skyfall story's fate, but they just didn't.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Fellow double-00s: anyone have a link to any simulators to play the early 80s Bond games?

Used to play AVTAK, TLD, LTK, TSWLM and LALD on the old Spectrum 48k. I have the official spectrum emulator from i-tunes but as far as I know you can't buy the Bond games for it.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus

You sir, are a legend. Weekend sorted! Thank you @ClarkDevlin
    My pleasure. :)
    1997 E3 footage featuring upcoming N64 games, including Goldeneye at 3:16;
    Oh damn, The 'Old Wounds' mission from Black Ops 2 really reminds me of TLD
    edited December 2016 Posts: 3,000
    @Gummy Have you ever played Uncharted 3? Chapter 17 is basically the cargo plane fight from TLD;

That, and Chapter 20;
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Good! Good!
    jake24 wrote: »

"The bitch is dead."
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Precisely.

I've never seen the MI6 editors rant in the way that they did in the above article. Pretty funny and entertaining.
    I love how honest the MI6 staff were in that article. Good on 'em.