Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

No more Craig? I'll be heartbroken, but if Fassbender got the part, I'd be overjoyed. I mean, come on, how can Hiddleston or anyone else measure up?

who-could-take-over-the-role-of-james-bond-michael-fassbender-image-courtesy-of-designc-708122.jpg

Honestly I would love fassbender the only issue is he might just be Craig 2.0 which I would love others might not

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Whatever one may say about Moore, the man had the natural smooth charm even in his later years, which compensated for his lack of physical prowess.

I'd like to see more of that natural silky smoothness in the next Bond actor.
    Clearly you weren't around whenMR, FYEO, OP and AVTAK were doing the rounds in the cinemas then, @bondjames. People went to Bond movies to laugh at Moore in the role, not to appreciate his natural smooth charm, much like they did the idiots down Colney Hatch; it had become a sad spectators sport to jeer and deride Bond by this point. Not that the producers/writers/director weren't above ridiculing their own product themselves. They seemed to enjoy heaping more coals on the fire and fanning the flames of Bond's self-destruction more than anyone.

I do think there are some here that have a romantic memory of the older Moore Bond movies, that weren't old enough to understand just how far Bond had sunk from his glorious heights, and how audiences just wanted to see another Moore 007 Comedy when buying a ticket. Most of the real fans had given up on there ever being a serious Bond movie ever again. My toes curl at any mention of returning to those less than halcyon days and seeing another bloody Roger Moore clone/type Bond. No thank you.
    No @bondsum, sadly GE was my first in theatre Bond experience. I did watch the old Moore Bond films on VHS/TV growing up though, and I am old enough to remember that many felt Moore, while the incumbent, was never as good as Connery.

My parents (huge Bond fans) love Connery and I always fondly remember their first effort to introduce me to him, in a vain attempt to convince me he was the best. The film was FRWL, and I recall being bored out of my mind watching it for the first time with them, while my mother embarrassingly swooned at his first appearance in the gardens during the pretitles. Needless to say, I've come around to both Connery and the film since then.

My father firmly believed that Moore was better suited to the Saint. Despite this, he always enjoyed the Moore Bond films. He is not a fan of Lazenby (I don't believe OHMSS was all that popular on release) and doesn't think too highly of Dalton either. He tolerated Brosnan (as did I) and thinks Craig is pretty good, but still thinks Connery is the definitive Bond.

I'm afraid I must disagree with your scathing assessment of Moore and similarly oppose your views on Hiddles, who I think could make a fine Bond if given the chance.

Agreed @bondjames. Also, since when was Hiddles a copycat of Moore. I thinks he's more Craig with an aire of Moore. As for giving up on there ever being a serious Bond movie ever again? Isn't that post DAD???
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    She is stunning I've not come across her before .
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Whatever one may say about Moore, the man had the natural smooth charm even in his later years, which compensated for his lack of physical prowess.

I'd like to see more of that natural silky smoothness in the next Bond actor.
    Clearly you weren't around whenMR, FYEO, OP and AVTAK were doing the rounds in the cinemas then, @bondjames. People went to Bond movies to laugh at Moore in the role, not to appreciate his natural smooth charm, much like they did the idiots down Colney Hatch; it had become a sad spectators sport to jeer and deride Bond by this point. Not that the producers/writers/director weren't above ridiculing their own product themselves. They seemed to enjoy heaping more coals on the fire and fanning the flames of Bond's self-destruction more than anyone.

I do think there are some here that have a romantic memory of the older Moore Bond movies, that weren't old enough to understand just how far Bond had sunk from his glorious heights, and how audiences just wanted to see another Moore 007 Comedy when buying a ticket. Most of the real fans had given up on there ever being a serious Bond movie ever again. My toes curl at any mention of returning to those less than halcyon days and seeing another bloody Roger Moore clone/type Bond. No thank you.
    No @bondsum, sadly GE was my first in theatre Bond experience. I did watch the old Moore Bond films on VHS/TV growing up though, and I am old enough to remember that many felt Moore, while the incumbent, was never as good as Connery.

My parents (huge Bond fans) love Connery and I always fondly remember their first effort to introduce me to him, in a vain attempt to convince me he was the best. The film was FRWL, and I recall being bored out of my mind watching it for the first time with them, while my mother embarrassingly swooned at his first appearance in the gardens during the pretitles. Needless to say, I've come around to both Connery and the film since then.

My father firmly believed that Moore was better suited to the Saint. Despite this, he always enjoyed the Moore Bond films. He is not a fan of Lazenby (I don't believe OHMSS was all that popular on release) and doesn't think too highly of Dalton either. He tolerated Brosnan (as did I) and thinks Craig is pretty good, but still thinks Connery is the definitive Bond.

I'm afraid I must disagree with your scathing assessment of Moore and similarly oppose your views on Hiddles, who I think could make a fine Bond if given the chance.

That was exactly my parent's opinion.
    Moore is my sentimental favorite. Moore kept Bond alive.

I can attest audiences loudly cheered and laughed in the cinema during the Moore films.
    Especially during OP and AVTAK. Moore's Bond promised a fun time at the cinema and delivered. Audiences weren't poking fun at him, they were along with the joke. Maybe hard for fans who only connect with the Craig films, but it's actually meant to be funny that Moore can jump from a cable car and barely have a hair out of place. He's a bad ass. The fantastical elements in the Bonds were at their height in the Moore era, but within those settings he always delivered a convincing performance. Those films were filled with situations IMO only Moore could have pulled off.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,423
    @ClarkDevlin, there are always exceptions to the rule, and Katheryn Winnick (38) is certainly one of them, as was Maud Adams in OP. No, I can't say I'd pass up on this. Quite the contrary actually. I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake.
    I'd be pretty much the same. Only with more craze on display. :D
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Tuulia wrote: »
    People are already calling into question the age gap between his last leading lady and love interest Lea Seydoux, so what are they going to say when the gap widens even more with the next lady?

Eeh... that doesn't actually depend on the Bond actor's age, you know, it depends on casting decisions. It's not that Craig was too old in Spectre, Seydoux was too young. Even if the Bond actor was 35 and they then cast an 18 year old as the love interest, the age gap would be just as big. However, there is no need for these huge age gaps. They could always cast women who aren't so young they could be the leading man's daughter. I know it's a novel and quite a radical idea for Hollywood, but hey...

I think you're on the wrong boards with that attitude. Bond should have young attractive females. 40 or above is wrong and should only ever be a minor shag like Belluci, although imo that scene was purely to have her name in the film and cause a discussion.

8-|
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Some of the sexiest and talented actresses in Hollywood today are 40+ and would make excellent Bond girls.

True.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I always thought Craig was a very convincing seducer as Bond. RE the age gap: going for Bond girls in say their 40s might be a temporary solution should Craig do one more. And given the names mentioned the age gap between Bond and the Bond girls will quickly become an issue unless they cast a much younger Bond.

The problem right now is that there's no obvious successor. A bit like when Craig was cast actually.

Why temporary? Could be permanent as well, the future Bond actors will likely be from late 30s to late 40s during their tenure anyway, so it would suit just fine to cast women in there 40s.

Temporary regarding Craig's age should he remain in the role for Bond 25.

And let's not forget that Lucia Sciarra was played by a 50 year old actress.

Well they're unlikely to cast a 20-something or early 30s actor as Bond, and there's no reason why women couldn't be around the same age as Bond.

I'm not forgetting Sciarra, but a very minor character, so of no major importance to the issue and an exception regarding age.
    @ClarkDevlin, there are always exceptions to the rule, and Katheryn Winnick (38) is certainly one of them, as was Maud Adams in OP. No, I can't say I'd pass up on this. Quite the contrary actually. I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake.

Exceptions to the rule of women past early 30s being unattractive and unsuitable for Bond films? Why do you think the actresses should - as a rule - be much younger than the male actor?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883

Exceptions to the rule of women past early 30s being unattractive and unsuitable for Bond films? Why do you think the actresses should - as a rule - be much younger than the male actor?
    @Tuulia, I was thinking more of the 40s and 50s, and this doesn't apply only to women, but men as well. For example, I'm in the camp that thinks Craig should pack it in if the next Bond film doesn't arrive before 2018, because he is pushing 50 soon.

Yes, of course women in their 30's and even in their 40's can be very attractive and suitable for Bond films. Gillian Anderson for example could still rock a Bond film if she wanted to, despite being 48.

Regarding the age gap (with women being younger), it's just my 'old fashioned' stereotypical view coming to the fore. James Bond is a male fantasy after all, and an old fashioned one. I'm open to perpetuating all that this entails no matter how politically incorrect it may be. This includes the smoking habit as well, which I'm disappointed that they dispensed with, and 'sleeping around'.
  • Women's sex appeal is more dependent on age in general.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Pundits and public have stopped talking about Fassbender thinking him either too big or too old.
    How brilliant it would be if he was DC's replacement, just quietly waiting while everyone talks about Elba, Hardy, Hiddleston etc. Mr Fassbender would be a terrific Bond in my opinion.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081
    @bondjames, okay, fair enough. I don't support the "old fashioned" idea that women should be obviously much younger than the men in Bond movies or other comparable movies. I don't care either way whether Bond smokes or not, but I feel he should be confident enough to be with women his own age instead of youngsters. I know real people with quite big age differences (both ways), so it's not that. People form long-lasting happy couples in real life, and an age gap isn't necessarily an issue. But when it's a pattern of serial-dating/sleeping with partners where the age difference is so big it could be parental it reeks of insecurity of some kind, immaturity, unwillingness/inability to grow up and accept one's own age. (Again, some real life people do... some well known movie stars, for instance. Some people find it cool if for instance a guy in his 40s serial-dates women in their 20s, and takes his mother as a date to industry events. It just doesn't seem like something that grown-ups should aspire to in my opinion.)
    To me it would seem more interesting and suitable for a character like Bond (mature and confident, isn't he?) to be interested in women more his age than they often have been. I don't know about the male fantasy part, maybe so, but not all males share that same fantasy from what I can tell. Also, roughly half the audience is female - and I'm sure opinions vary on that side, too.
    @Tuulia, you're right of course. I can't logically defend my preference for younger women (in comparison to Bond) in the films. At the end of the day, as long as they pass my attractiveness test I am ok with any age (within reason) really.
    @Tuulia, you're right of course. I can't logically defend my preference for younger women (in comparison to Bond) in the films. At the end of the day, as long as they pass my attractiveness test I am ok with any age (within reason) really.

Well there you go. If you find women like, for instance, Cate Blanchett, Amy Adams, Kate Winslet, Eva Mendes, etc. unattractive then it's just because you find them unattractive - not that they would be unattractive because they are in their 40s.

• edited August 2016 Posts: 3,333
    Scathing, no. I actually like Moore up until the midway point in TSWLM. I'm just giving you a snapshot of how audiences saw Bond in the late Seventies and Eighties. If you want to relive a similar epoch all over again with Hiddy then that's entirely your choice. I'm merely here to offer guidance and an opinion to counter your remarks.

And no, OHMSS was not unpopular. It was hugely popular on its release. This is just a misconception you've bought into where EON decided to bury OMMSS and erase any memory of its success due to Lazenby not signing his contract for further movies. For almost 2 decades they got away with this misconception, but now the truth is out there for all to see in retro books and articles.
    Scathing, no. I actually like Moore up until the midway point in TSWLM. I'm just giving you a snapshot of how audiences saw Bond in the late Seventies and Eighties. If you want to relive a similar epoch all over again with Hiddy then that's entirely your choice. I'm merely here to offer guidance and an opinion to counter your remarks.
    I do appreciate your expertise and guidance. You'll forgive me for apparently misunderstanding your opinion about Moore, since your earlier post certainly seemed scathing. I quote:

That's pretty scathing to me, although I'm glad you've clarified that this opinion applies primarily to the post-TSWLM period (which is 8 out of 12 yrs of his tenure). Members have chimed in here since that post (including some who were around during that time) disputing your recollection of events. At the end of the day, I'm an advocate of the Moore era, as you're probably aware by now.
    And no, OHMSS was not unpopular. It was hugely popular on its release. This is just a misconception you've bought into where EON decided to bury OMMSS and erase any memory of its success due to Lazenby not signing his contract for further movies. For almost 2 decades they got away with this misconception, but now the truth is out there for all to see in retro books and articles.
    I just did a quick check of box office, and on an inflation adjusted basis (which admittedly has to be taken with a pinch of salt due to the difficulty in correctly accounting for ticket price inflation over time), OHMSS is 7th from the bottom (with a 52% drop in box office compared to YOLT) in the US and 10th from the bottom (with a 33% decline compared to YOLT) worldwide. Keep in mind that YOLT itself was far less successful than either GF or TB. The source is thejamesbonddossier.com
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I'm assuming you're quite young, @Szonana, however Craig is not. How many Bonds does Craig seriously have left in him before the public start to think he's getting way too old for Bond? People are already calling into question the age gap..

Given the fact Indiana Jones 5 is out in 2019 which will star a 77 year old Harrison Ford I'm pretty confident film goers can accept a 50 year old Craig in Bond 25! I don't want to see a 77 year old Indiana Jones nor would I want to see a 77 year old James Bond but film goers may not care as much as we think!
    I'm pretty confident film goers can accept a 50 year old Craig in Bond 25. He's in better shape than any of the other past Bond's at his/ this age.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    I'd be happy with a DC fifth film. Even more so if it revolves around a proper mission. But maybe his tenure now has too much baggage?
    Just ignore the baggage.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Latino actor in contention for the role?
    sources reveal that besides Elba, producers are considering Venezuelan actor Fernando Carrillo, who could potentially become the first Latino to ever play that role, and actors James Norton, Tom Hardy and Tom Hiddleston are also possibilities.

http://www.latintimes.com/fernando-carrillo-next-james-bond-latino-among-actors-considered-play-iconic-agent-395220

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    My guess? It's bull sh*t.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Just ignore the baggage.
    We can only ignore the baggage if Blofeld and Swann are also ignored.

• peterpeter Toronto
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Latino actor in contention for the role?
    sources reveal that besides Elba, producers are considering Venezuelan actor Fernando Carrillo, who could potentially become the first Latino to ever play that role, and actors James Norton, Tom Hardy and Tom Hiddleston are also possibilities.

http://www.latintimes.com/fernando-carrillo-next-james-bond-latino-among-actors-considered-play-iconic-agent-395220

considering he's 50 years old

Let me see if I understand this correctly. A newspaper/website called the Latintimes suggests that a Latino actor is in contention. Hmm.. and we're not considering the inherent bias in the source?
    I think 50 should be the very limit to play Bond. So Craig could do one more, but just one, if he's in good shape.

Still it all comes down to his successor. Many potential Bond actors are either too old, too famous, too mediocre, or too Idris Elba.
    I coming to the opinion that the name Idris Elba should be banned in reference to the role of James Bond
    This item adds more detail to why Tom Hiddleston is out of the race.

Also claims the main candidates are Aiden Turner, Jack Huston and James Norton. Elba considered too old - his own words, apparently.

http://www.chattsportsnet.com/entertainment/new-james-bond-movie-update-barbara-broccoli-says-no-tom-hiddleston-taylor-swift-blame/7035/

Huston seems a relatively new name.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That article states 'Bond 25' will debut in 2017. If only.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Also claims the main candidates are Aiden Turner, Jack Huston and James Norton. Elba considered too old - his own words, apparently.

http://www.chattsportsnet.com/entertainment/new-james-bond-movie-update-barbara-broccoli-says-no-tom-hiddleston-taylor-swift-blame/7035/

Huston seems a relatively new name.

Someone should probably forward this article to EoN. I don't believe they are aware of this.

Being sarcastic.

They're just making up stuff now.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Elba has never been considered for the role; that entire story was a product of the tabloids.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    What's her name formerly with Sony suggested Elba.. that came out during the leaks.