Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Amy Pascal
    Then she became one of the brains behind the new Ghostbusters movie.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Amy Pascal

Yes ...thanks. and I thought she was long gone before Ghostbusters
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Amy Pascal

Yes ...thanks. and I thought she was long gone before Ghostbusters
    I always found her to be a problematic person and tasteless decision maker in general. I'm glad she's gone.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    That article is crap. 'Rumor this and that' no facts. In fact it doesn't really say anything.
    I agree it was crap. I liked how that article kept referring to the New James Bond Movie...........when there IS NO NEW James Bond movie!!!!!!
    This thread is brought you by The Daily Mail. A paper known for its stunning accuracy and sauces. Er I mean sources. ;))
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I have said this before and then dismissed the idea, but I really think that Jake Gyllenhaal could be a fascinating Bond. He does do big movies as well as quirky indies so I don't think he would sneer at the idea. He is a terrific actor and has done action roles (Source Code) and he has the looks and the dramatic credentials. He seems to conduct his private life discreetly and is good at media. Obvious issue is that he is American but he's not "in yer face" Hollywood. He is the only American I can really see pulling the role off. He has also worked with Sam Mendes (Jarhead) but I assume that ship has sailed...
    All Americans are automatically out of the running.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I disagree. If an Australian and an Irishman can play Bond, why not an American?
    Or Martian if Disney acquires Bond.

>-)

..any professional actor appropriate for the role can play Bond.

Personal preference I prefer the actor to be British... just like I would prefer an American actor to play Indiana Jones.

Odd but very few if any Americans got so bent out of shape when a British actor was cast as Batman.

edited August 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I was talking to a few friends of mine regarding an American Bond (a few of them British, mind you?) and they believe that the Americans look too much of Jersey boys to play the rugged and cold blooded killer that Bond is. Not my thought, but hey, that's their general opinion. But, I kind of see where they're coming from.

Bond has to have that European Anglo-Saxon look down to a tee, if you catch my drift.
    I was talking to a few friends of mine regarding an American Bond (a few of them British, mind you?) and they believe that the Americans look too much of Jersey boys to play the rugged and cold blooded killer that Bond is. Not my thought, but hey, that's their general opinion. But, I kind of see where they're coming from.

Bond has to have that European Anglo-Saxon look down to a tee, if you catch my drift.

I do. And my point was the right American actor could but I still prefer a British actor.
    I disagree. If an Australian and an Irishman can play Bond, why not an American?

Because most of the time their British accent sucks.

• edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081

>-)

Personal preference I prefer the actor to be British... just like I would prefer an American actor to play Indiana Jones.

Odd but very few if any Americans got so bent out of shape when a British actor was cast as Batman.

Maybe they don't care as long as the accent sounds right? But also, a lot of people didn't know he is English, apparently lots of people learned that years later - when they heard his Oscar speech or something - and were stunned. (Actors can use different accents? Who knew?) Some still don't know. And no reason they should, and it shouldn't matter either where an actor is from, no matter what the role is. Did anyone care when Lincoln wasn't played by an American? So it shouldn't matter the other way around, either. I'd certainly want Bond to sound British, not American, but other than that I don't care as long as the actor is otherwise suitable.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    What is an American anyway? Everyone is an immigrant or descended from one. Cary Grant was American (of British origin) and he could have nailed Bond in his sleep.

I agree though that most Americans have a problem doing an authentic sounding British accent. It's much easier to go the other way. The American English is more casual, and is easier to imitate than the English version, which at its best is proper with emphasized elocution and articulation.
    Brosnan's accent lacked Britishness. And he wasn't even American, he'd only lived there for a while. I have yet to find an American actor who sounds naturally British.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Don Cheadle in 'Ocean's Eleven'.Took me years to realize he was an American actor.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Whether it's British, Rwandan, or sounding exactly like Miles Davis, Cheadle is very talented.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The women tend to be better. Gillian Anderson is pretty good (American but brought up for a time in the UK). Renee Zellwegger and Gwyneth Paltrow are not bad, if a tad overdone. Meryl Streep was fantastic in The Iron Lady and Maggie Gyllenhaal wasn't bad in The Honourable Woman .
    Nicole Kidman, Johnny Depp,,,
    bondjames wrote: »
    What is an American anyway? Everyone is an immigrant or descended from one. Cary Grant was American (of British origin) and he could have nailed Bond in his sleep.

I agree though that most Americans have a problem doing an authentic sounding British accent. It's much easier to go the other way. The American English is more casual, and is easier to imitate than the English version, which at its best is proper with emphasized elocution and articulation.

I agree with that. I've heard that South African accents are very difficulty to do.

Accents thanks to social media are I believe blurring anyway.

Indian accents seem to me to be more resilient. I mean an Indian guy whether living in London or Houston stills sounds like an Indian guy.

Indian accents seem to me to be more resilient. I mean an Indian guy whether living in London or Houston stills sounds like an Indian guy.

What? Are you kidding, have you met an British 'Indian' from the UK or London? Dude what you said is not cool, not cool. All the British Indians/Asians that i know sound British, no sub-continent accents, just regional British accents. 21st Century and all that...Ta.

The women tend to be better. Gillian Anderson is pretty good (American but brought up for a time in the UK). Renee Zellwegger and Gwyneth Paltrow are not bad, if a tad overdone. Meryl Streep was fantastic in The Iron Lady and Maggie Gyllenhaal wasn't bad in The Honourable Woman .

I think many who do have a good British accent have spent lengthy time in England. Like Gillian Anderson.

Kidman is Australian.

Gabourey Sidibe as 007:
    gabourey_sidibe.jpg

...and Academy Award winner Mo'Nique as M:
    precious.jpg
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think many who do have a good British accent have spent lengthy time in England. Like Gillian Anderson.

Kidman is Australian.

Yes, of course. My bad.

Because American's just can't do the accent. Just a dreadful impression.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,131

Jonny Depps English accent is awful....laughable in fact. From Hell and Sweeny Todd being the prime awful examples. Kidman is Australian.

>-)

Bales American accent is flawless though.