Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Is it the Welsh who claim him?

Often yes, but it's also a general misconception, and others (non-British people) also generally call him Welsh. People simply seem to assume he is, I suppose because that's what a lot of the media keeps telling them. (It can be both funny and sort of sad that whenever someone correctly calls him English they get called an idiot, like an American reporter recently... or when someone - also correctly - calls him British, they get told "Welsh, actually...") Yet the only reasoning is "because he was born in Wales that makes him Welsh" which makes zero sense to me, and birthplace obviously also isn't the normal way to define origins or ethnicity.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Eh too. Your right, I didn't get your point.

I'm sorry, but you were talking about a different thing with the Chinese etc. and I don't know how else to explain. Basically I just don't get why Bale or anyone else in similar circumstances would be somehow defined by their birthplace when that is clearly not the norm (as exemplified by the other actors used as examples). Had he been born abroad (other things being equal) I'm sure he'd be considered English, but since he was born in Wales people keep insisting he's Welsh. Maybe the illogicality of it doesn't even seem weird to British people (what with the eligibility for footie teams and such), but it sure does to me. Anyway, it's not even important, just peculiar.

Back to topic then...

I understand now and it is peculiar. But that is how it is viewed and done in the UK. If Bale has a Welsh birth certificate he can call himself Welsh or English. I think it's silly too, but again it must be a UK thing.

Oh good that I managed finally, then. :) Even as just a UK peculiarity I could sort of understand it as just silliness, if it was up to the person themselves eventually, but it doesn't seem to be. He calls himself English (and has corrected the "Welsh" many times), but that seems irrelevant to most people, somehow. Not that he really cares much about it, or about other wrong ideas strangers may have of him. But I find the whole thing of how and why and by whom people's ethnicity/origins/nationality etc. are defined and decided very interesting. I've seen discussions about the issue by people who are constantly defined by others in a different manner than they would define themselves, and I get that it can be unpleasant.

Sorry for OT - but many threads seem to be OT a lot anyway, so oh well... :P

Unless Wales cracked off the British Isles due to sheep poo why wouldn't Bale be considered British? Sorry I am seriously asking so I'll understand.

I get he's not English but I don't get why not British.
    Mikah21 wrote: »
    I think it'd be a really difficult choice if Craig does leave. Hiddleston doesn't really do it for me, I know he was playing a different type of character in The Night Manager, but he didn't really sell it to me. Maybe it will be someone a little more unknown if Craig quits. Then again, Michael Fassbender does sound like an interesting choice.

I think that too Mikah...i think he has it in him to be very good...so does Babs Broccoli at the moment..

@barryt007 I actually like Hiddleston as an actor overall, but I don't think he has the extra sort of edge that playing Bond needs that Fassbender definitely has!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Mikah21 wrote: »
    @barryt007 I actually like Hiddleston as an actor overall, but I don't think he has the extra sort of edge that playing Bond needs that Fassbender definitely has!

Well they keep chasing me to be the next Bond,gal,but i'm all tied up at the moment (not literally before we get a Milah witty comment !!)
    Are you in love with The Fassbender,mon ami ?

@barryt007 Bwahaha, you read my mind!! I wouldn't say no. I'd be way more attracted to Bond if he was being played by Fassbender rather than Hiddleston, I'll say that much.
    well i cant say thats my reason (ooerrr missus) but he has the credentials and the box office pull ,acting skill,enthusiasm to make it the best,that the role needs....
    @barryt007 Exactly, he's proven himself as an actor, taken on a major role in a franchise already by playing Magneto in the X-Men series and he was so Bond-like in the bit in First Class where he was hunting down the Nazi's. He'd be a great choice. :)
    Spot on ...that X-men First Class scene is one that is almost a Bond screen test to me...he has my backing ,he is not built like a brick shit house which is accurate to the Bond novels ,he can be happy and jovial or a seriously dangerous character in his films,his acting range is excellent,he is a top top actor and would bring as much dedication and professionalism to the role as DC has done..
    @barryt007 He's pretty tall and lean, but muscular too. He's got the charm and you believe that he genuinely has that killer edge. Without wanting to compare too much, but with someone like Hiddleston, you just feel he doesn't have that side to him.
    You do..even in 'Inglorious Basterds' he was brilliant as the British officer....in fact i must admit i dont think i've seen him put in a bad performance...
    @barryt007 Nope, neither have I! He's played so many varied roles too, like in MacBeth, Steve Jobs, 12 Years A Slave...definitely my choice for Bond if Craig does quit/leave.
    Steve Jobs is premiering on SKY in a few days..any good ? (despite Michael )
    he was awesome in 12 years a slave....stole every scene...
    @barryt007 I'd definitely recommend giving it a go, if you watch it let me know what you think! He's such an intense actor. :)
    OK...i will try it out...the subject matter bores me but i will give it a go...if i dont like like then you owe me a fiver.....
    @barryt007 God, I'd better hope Fassbender wins you over in it now!! :D
    Damn right...not that it costs me a fiver,its part of my SKY Cinema subscription,so its free....im just a greedy sod he he ;)
    @barryt007 Well, you've got yourself a deal. I thought it was interesting enough, hopefully you're not a strict judge though. :P
    hahaha nah,im just a film buff....and put that tongue away before i tie it around a lampost n leave u there..
    if the film is shit (which i dont think it will be ) and Michael is awesome (which is a definate) thats good enough for me..its more about his range and performance i'm looking at, than the film itself..anyway,all done..we shall see.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm in a minority, or alone: in Fassbender I see an actor playing a role, although in DOFP the most convincing. Otherwise he is an avatar to me in his more Hollywood portrayals.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    who should/could play Bond? How 'bout the guy we've got now, 'cause, outside of Fassbender (who i think would cost a buncha $$$s, and who I think is talented yet stilted at the same time), the other options are so yawn. Hiddles is weak. Turner a pouty adolescent...

How 'bout having our man Craig return for one, or better yet, two films to close his arc?
    @peter Yeah, out of all the options, Craig returning is by far my most preferred one. And I agree with what you're saying about the other options being so uninspiring. I think Fassbender is probably the best out of the other options personally, though.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Often yes, but it's also a general misconception, and others (non-British people) also generally call him Welsh. People simply seem to assume he is, I suppose because that's what a lot of the media keeps telling them. (It can be both funny and sort of sad that whenever someone correctly calls him English they get called an idiot, like an American reporter recently... or when someone - also correctly - calls him British, they get told "Welsh, actually...") Yet the only reasoning is "because he was born in Wales that makes him Welsh" which makes zero sense to me, and birthplace obviously also isn't the normal way to define origins or ethnicity.

I'm sorry, but you were talking about a different thing with the Chinese etc. and I don't know how else to explain. Basically I just don't get why Bale or anyone else in similar circumstances would be somehow defined by their birthplace when that is clearly not the norm (as exemplified by the other actors used as examples). Had he been born abroad (other things being equal) I'm sure he'd be considered English, but since he was born in Wales people keep insisting he's Welsh. Maybe the illogicality of it doesn't even seem weird to British people (what with the eligibility for footie teams and such), but it sure does to me. Anyway, it's not even important, just peculiar.

Back to topic then...

I understand now and it is peculiar. But that is how it is viewed and done in the UK. If Bale has a Welsh birth certificate he can call himself Welsh or English. I think it's silly too, but again it must be a UK thing.

Oh good that I managed finally, then. :) Even as just a UK peculiarity I could sort of understand it as just silliness, if it was up to the person themselves eventually, but it doesn't seem to be. He calls himself English (and has corrected the "Welsh" many times), but that seems irrelevant to most people, somehow. Not that he really cares much about it, or about other wrong ideas strangers may have of him. But I find the whole thing of how and why and by whom people's ethnicity/origins/nationality etc. are defined and decided very interesting. I've seen discussions about the issue by people who are constantly defined by others in a different manner than they would define themselves, and I get that it can be unpleasant.

Unless Wales cracked off the British Isles due to sheep poo why wouldn't Bale be considered British? Sorry I am seriously asking so I'll understand.

Eh? You "get he's not English"??? But he IS English. (I can't help but laugh at this point, no idea what to say anymore.)

And British, obviously. Some people don't get that part when they insist on him being Welsh. You didn't get the other part. :)

Even if "Wales cracked off the British Isles" that would make no difference whatsoever to him being English and British. (Wales is just a place where his mother happened to be when he "popped out" like he eloquently put it himself.)

Ok? :) Right then...

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,116

Back to topic then...

Eh? You "get he's not English"??? But he IS English. (I can't help but laugh at this point, no idea what to say anymore.)

And British, obviously. Some people don't get that part when they insist on him being Welsh. You didn't get the other part. :)

Even if "Wales cracked off the British Isles" that would make no difference whatsoever to him being English and British. (Wales is just a place where his mother happened to be when he "popped out" like he eloquently put it himself.)

Ok maybe I missed the first part. I only scanned through the discussion. Thought read Bale was ademate he's not English but Welsh and someone said Bale isn't British and I said I don't get why ....yada yada yada...

Anyway I get it now. Thanks.

Back to topic then...

Ok maybe I missed the first part. I only scanned through the discussion. Thought read Bale was ademate he's not English but Welsh and someone said Bale isn't British and I said I don't get why ....yada yada yada...

Anyway I get it now. Thanks.

You must have misread something then while scanning, that can happen, but if all is clear now then good, and you're welcome. :)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    England isn t far from Great Britain anyway.
    I know a good actor to play the role:

Craig, Daniel Craig

End of story :-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sean Cossbender
    George Lazzbender
    Roger Mossbender
    Timothy Dassbender
    Pierce Brosbender
    Daniel Crassbender
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I know a good actor to play the role:

Craig, Daniel Craig

End of story :-)

i second this... he seems a pretty good choice, no?