The Science - Science Fiction thread

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Quote yourself much ? :))
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    Quote yourself much ? :))

Nobody has said that I can not quote myself as often as I need to.

And How often do ThunderP Quote Self?..!

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MyNameIsMyBondRn,
    Please keep your illiteracy away from an intelligent thread such as this.
    On the BBC news tonight, they mentioned the great strides in cloning. With the
    Latest experiment with sheep. Living healthy and long lives. So soon medical
    Cloning will be getting the green light.
    So either the dream or nightmare of human cloning, is another step closer.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ay, I'm not too happy about that. Cloning is, I think, a rather dangerous thing. We know too little about biology to pretend to be able to design beeings that way. I know it's basically just copying (like the printing press, a small but immensely important step in science and technology) but still, it's opening a pandora's box if you ask me.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited July 2016 Posts: 7,973
    edit: unlawful cloning
    I think cloning organs, is a good idea, so no need for drugs to fight rejection issues.
    Although, I do think somewhere in the world human cloning will take place, even
    Clone splicing, could be attempted by unscrupulous regimes.
    Sadly given human nature, some scientist will try to push the boundaries of what's
    Achievable.
    On a similar theme, about the Olympics. They can now perform gene doping.
    Where a virus is injected, which removes a gene and then an "Improved" gene
    Can be introduced to the body. At the moment it's undetectable !
    Almost a modern gene version of The Six Million Dollar Man.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @CommanderRoss, seems like your post got cloned.
    @Thunderfinger so I see, it's been eliminated...

@Thunderpussy well that's basically the problem, I agree on cloning organs, or growing them from stemcells. But the actual cloning of animals, and maybe humans, might just result in deseases we haven't thought could exist. As cancer is basically immortality (unstoppeable reproduction of cells that don't die off), these things may have darker side effects.
    @CommanderRoss I too thought you were doing a cloning joke. ;) And if
    Not, I didn't want to be a bit of a dick pointing out a double post.
    It was just a glitch, due to apparently a station break ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Sure there is but I can't type the symbols here. Basically you can define infinity as a number which is always larger than any real number conceivable.

I don t think infinity as a number or size exists. It is a metaphor for a process.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,551
    Infinity is technically a surreal number. The set of surreal numbers is an expansion of the set of real numbers; it adds infinitely small and infinitely large to said set.
    It clearly shows the two main problems with modern America: Bad education and lack of proper mental healthcare.

Perhaps the internet will be our undoing. There are far more people who still believe in mideaval thought then anyone with half a brain could've guessed. And not only there, all over the world.

At the same time it is an interesting case: what makes information believeable and what doesn't? Wht triggers people to believe this kind of thing?

But you know, of course they're right! I went around the world three years ago, and from above the earth looked flat all the time! ;-)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Obviously you weren't High enough !!.
    @CommanderRoss is always hiiiigh, @Mrcroggins. ;-)
    True, true, but even QI admits that there's an end to the world:

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,117
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It clearly shows the two main problems with modern America: Bad education and lack of proper mental healthcare.

Perhaps the internet will be our undoing. There are far more people who still believe in mideaval thought then anyone with half a brain could've guessed. And not only there, all over the world.

At the same time it is an interesting case: what makes information believeable and what doesn't? Wht triggers people to believe this kind of thing?

But you know, of course they're right! I went around the world three years ago, and from above the earth looked flat all the time! ;-)

You guys are a disgrace. These people are entitled to their beliefs despite all evidence to the contrary and should be respected.

Oh no it's only the religious who get that privilege. Society deems it perfectly acceptable to call these people nutters so carry on.
    @TheWizardOfIce, you're right. After all, all opinions are equal and such, right? Even if "opinion" is another word of delusion. Won't harm to have the world crammed up with people who are delusional but whose "opinions" we at least respect.
    I'm just looking for a fair and just society.

It's fine to laugh at these people for their silly beliefs contrary to science but we aren't permitted to laugh at anyone who believes a magic man who lives on a cloud created the entire universe?

And to be honest the evidence for the earth being flat is more compelling than the existence of God.
    At least it s harmless.
    Is it? That depends on how these people raise their children. If they teach them this stuff, it's a form of child abuse. :)
    I'm just looking for a fair and just society.

It's fine to laugh at these people for their silly beliefs contrary to science but we aren't permitted to laugh at anyone who believes a magic man who lives on a cloud created the entire universe?

And to be honest the evidence for the earth being flat is more compelling than the existence of God.

Who says we can't laugh at the beliefs of those believing in an all-creating man with a beard who's existence isn't explained and, according to a lot of people, consists of three: himself, a ghost and his son. And those who believe his son was just a messanger like Muhammad/Mohammed/ etc.? I laugh at them. They've got the right to their own delusions and I've got the right to ridicule their beliefs, as much as they've got the right to ridicule my 'beliefs'.

Mind you, there's a huge differnece between making fun of someone's beliefs, and them in person.

The bit of mental healthcare and education isn't ridicule, I mean that very seriously. I think many of those who're mentioned in the article have a paranoia problem.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I was never under the impression that people aren't allowed to laugh at religion. I don't think there's a tree there to bark up.
    Well, some religions punish a wee bit of fun with death. I don't know how that fits that "religion of peace" moniker. Perhaps we're simply misspelling and it should be written as "religion of pieces". You know, burned down embassies and such. Cartoons... dangerous stuff.
    Well that may be true of Islam but it is certainly not the case with Christianity. It's been open season on Christianity and Christians in general for many years.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Well that may be true of Islam but it is certainly not the case with Christianity. It's been open season on Christianity and Christians in general for many years.

Yeah fair point. The Catholic Church don't go round killing people. They just cover up for paedos.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,809
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yeah fair point. The Catholic Church don't go round killing people. They just cover up for paedos.

Not being a Roman Catholic I can't do anything about that nor do I feel any sense of responsibility for it. It's their shame. Please bear in mind that there are sometimes wolves in sheep's clothing in all churches too. The celibacy rule for priests has a lot to answer for in my view. That and the fact that paedophiles join the priesthood specifically to have access to children and young people. The cover up over all of this is one of the most shameful chapters in Catholicism.