The Science - Science Fiction thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Come to think of it, I think it was The Pit and the Pendulum I saw.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Just a passing observation on the ridiculousness of religion that gave me a laugh today.

Was in an Italian restaurant when in came a woman in the full Islamic hijab or niqab (sorry I neither know nor care what the correct terminology is - the one where only her eyes were visible) with her husband.

Sadly I'd just paid and was on my way out so never got to find out but can anyone tell me how you go about eating spaghetti or pizza with you mouth covered over? Would she clumsily shove food in the direction of her mouth underneath it or would she lift it up to show the full eroticism of her mouth while she ate, presumably condemning her to the eternal fires of hell?

Utterly bizarre that people consider this rational.

The comedy highlight was when her husband went to the toilet (incidentally he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt - come on give the guy a break; it was 29C in London today, you can't expect the bloke to go round wrapped in a black curtain soaking up the heat like his poor missus has to) and she was texting someone on her phone and then took a selfie to show she was in a restaurant. I suppose maybe she has really distinctive eyes so you can tell unmistakably it is her!

As I was reading Dawkins at the time and had had a couple of cheekys I was hardly in the mood to 'respect their beliefs'.
    Hijab covers the hair only. Female hair is different from male hair. It makes muslims want to rape women and liitle girls.

Niqab covers the whole head. Some muslim men feel that a head barren permits rape.
    Hijab covers the hair only. Female hair is different from male hair. It makes muslims want to rape women and liitle girls.

Niqab covers the whole head. Some muslim men feel that a head barren permits rape.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking there or that's actually true.
    It s the truth. The Bible can also be used as a reference.

Just face it, hair is sexy.
    It s the truth. The Bible can also be used as a reference.

Just face it, hair is sexy.

Probably explains why I got sacked from Supercuts then.

If only I'd been quicker at thinking on my feet I could have just said 'it's my religion' when they asked me what my home made hair gel was made from.
  • Maybe the husband ate and she just sat there. So sad that it is now commonplace in this country for the treatment of women to be back where it was in the dark ages. Ah but we must respect their culture. Funny how the faux feminists can't argue against non whites, so instead they fall back on 'it's a women's choice to wear what they want'. Yeah that's why all the non muslims are seeing the veil for the great fashion accessory it is and wearing it.

I would ban it in all public spaces. Our allowing of it is an appeasement to barbaric treatment of women and a kick in the teeth to all Muslim women who are brought up in fundamentalist families and are forced to wear it. Why the hell does religion blind us to the erm, blindingly obvious. The treatment of women as non humans is bloody unacceptable.
    I know several Iranian girls and women who were happy to come here, where they can show themselves and eat sausage.

Just for some Bosnian chauvinist asshole to treat them as whores.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm getting sick and tired of the argument, "It's part of my religion so you should respect it." Is genital mutilation something we can respect? Is child abuse something we can respect? Yet these things happen to thousands out there in the name of religion.

The fact that women cover up head to toe, "willingly" as we are led to believe, indicates that they were indoctrinated, that their mind was invaded, probably during their formative years, by crippled teachings resulting in nothing but the most terrifying form of one dimensional thinking in life: the path of absolute and unconditional surrender to that which cannot be rationally defended, nor logically explained, nor quietly condoned.
    It s the Stockholm Syndrome.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm getting sick and tired of the argument, "It's part of my religion so you should respect it." Is genital mutilation something we can respect? Is child abuse something we can respect? Yet these things happen to thousands out there in the name of religion.

That's a bit out of order mate. They're entitled to their beliefs. Surely people who ignore science, logic and reason to set about a young child's vagina with a Stanley knife because God told them to are worthy of our total respect?

Yet when Peter Sutcliffe does the same to a prostitute with a screwdriver for the same reason we label him insane and bang him up for life without the chance of parole.

Honestly, it's one rule for the religious and another for bearded northern psychopaths.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Does anyone here remember the TV show 'Land Of The Giants'? It was a made for TV science fiction show. I used to watch it when it was originally shown but have just noticed it is being repeated on the 'Horror' channel.
    I'm not the paranoid type, nor do I have anything to hide. I wouldn't mind being microchipped.
    Already taken care of.
    Don't tell me: you can remote control my actions now. :)
    To put it this way, I was the one who asked that question.
    Can you please stop making me go to the toilet?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't have anything to hide but I certainly wouldn't agree to being chipped.
    01300.jpg
    Dr Edwin Babbit s idea of an atom. Supposedly makes molecule formation logical. One of the big thinkers of the last century.
    Cute.
    Also utterly wrong. But cute. I'm going to show that in class next week.
    Do you have a pictorial symbolic representation that fits your idea of it better? Would be interesting to see, unless it is the schoolbook simplification.

I honestly don t know, I think an atom cannot be depicted correctly anyway.
    You hit the nail on the head, @Thunderfinger. The essence of the quantum mechanical model of atoms is that we cannot depict them in any way whatsoever. Author John Gribbin put it best, I think:

“In the world of the very small, where particle and wave aspects of reality are equally significant, things do not behave in any way that we can understand from our experience of the everyday world...all pictures are false, and there is no physical analogy we can make to understand what goes on inside atoms. Atoms behave like atoms, nothing else.”
    Sounds good to me, but as an explanation, Babbit was onto something. Symbollically.
    Dimi, is the Universe square?
    Dimi, is the Universe square?

That would seem highly illogical, @Thunderfinger. The universe's expansion occurs isotropically; I prefer to see it more as an ever growing sphere.

Sorry by the way; your post had gone unnoticed in my mailbox.
    Dimi, is snow made of shaving foam?
    Dude, give me a break. What are you trying to prove? :blush: You're quite exhausting.
    Is that how you talk to your students?
    When they ask me if snow is made of shaving foam, yes. I publicly humiliate them, force them to do 50 push-ups in front of everyone, and tell them there's a useful four letter word and they are full of it. ;-)

But they never ask if snow is made of shaving foam. :)