Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• edited May 2016 Posts: 11,119

In all honest, I'm looking more forward to the new "Star Trek TV Series" than the film "Star Trek Beyond". Why?

Do people realize that director Nicholas Meyer (director of the two best Trek films, "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan" and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country") and screenwriter Bryan Fuller (big fan of the more politically themed "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and producer/writer of several "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" episodes) are the creators of the new "Star Trek TV Series"????

This is music to my ears, whereas J.J. Abrahms basically destroyed my ears with the past two films. I'm longing for a more intelligent, less action-heavy "Star Trek". A "Star Trek" that is way more 'Arthur C. Clarke'-ian in style, in that it wants to answer difficult questions about the unknown, about space exploration, and about geopolitical affairs. And I think that's what Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer will give us. Some of their comments:
    "I think it's going to be a different Star Trek. It will go in a different direction. And I think that is probably good. Because the thing that mainly troubles me about current Star Trek is the fear of it being maybe re-treads of itself. And to the degree that I had any influence on the thing [Star Trek] at all was that at least while I was there, we were fooling around. The one thing I can relate to you is that 'The Undiscovered Country' -according to Bryan [Fuller]- is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he's thinking about the direction of the new show. I don't want to be misquoted and I don't want to misquote him, but he's fond of that film. Let's put it that way."

Also, the fact that there will be "New Crews", will possibly turn the new series into an anthology TV Series. I'm skeptical that the new Trek series will have around 20 to 26 episodes per season. But having 14 episodes per season, where every season will focus on a particular storyline (anthology, like they also do with "Fargo"), sounds interesting to me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'll be eternally grateful to JJ to successfully resurrect the Star Trek Movies franchise.

Beyond is already the third movie and No 4 is in pre-production already and a fifth is planned. And I liked the first two immensely.

I'm also very, very glad, the new Star Trek movies are not billion dollar BO movies.
    Star Trek has not much pressure BO wise on its shoulders. If it makes something above 400 million everybody will be pleased.

Personally I look forward to the new TV Show, how could I not as a Trekkie.
    But I'm doubtful it will be a roaring success.
    Pure Sci-Fi never has a chance on TV. Even the much applauded Battlestar Galactica lost the audience after two seasons and was going on crutches and got cancelled after 4 seasons. The last Stargate show was practically unwatched and got axed after two seasons.

A new Star Trek series has to bring in a lot of new fans otherwise it's a lost cause.

My only hope is that it will not run on ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS. Otherwise cancellation after one season or two is guaranteed as they don't care at all about die-hard fans. They want ratings and not quality.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No idea that was Simon Pigg. It was a great character!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Trying my hand at a Star Trek original series wallpaper.
    kVNVxxT.jpg
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    In all honest, I'm looking more forward to the new "Star Trek TV Series" than the film "Star Trek Beyond"... J.J. Abrahms basically destroyed my ears with the past two films. I'm longing for a more intelligent, less action-heavy "Star Trek". A "Star Trek" that is way more 'Arthur C. Clarke'-ian in style, in that it wants to answer difficult questions about the unknown, about space exploration, and about geopolitical affairs. And I think that's what Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer will give us.
    That sounds wonderful.

@Murdock, I like it. Great job. Is that planet Vulcan?
    pachazo wrote: »
    @Murdock, I like it. Great job. Is that planet Vulcan?
    Thanks, It's actually Mars. It's a 3D render I think. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That actually looks okay.
    Totally stole the jacket idea from me! ;)
    KlGBYBYl.jpg
    Being good and avoiding information on next film, not sure what to expect which is good. Into Darkness early on it was obvious what was going to happen, it's a film I liked though there were few surprises.
    Can someone rename the topic:

"Star Trek: Movies (1979-present)"???
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    And the TV Shows??
    All movies and shows -- past, present and future. Why? Because I said so, that's why.

That was what the creater of the thread wrote in there first post, Star Trek covers all that.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,119
    All movies and shows -- past, present and future. Why? Because I said so, that's why.

That was what the creater of the thread wrote in there first post, Star Trek covers all that.

There's hardly any discussion in here about the TV Series. And when it is being discussed it's quickly sidetracked by the movie discussion.

I think a big icon like "Star Trek" deserves two separate topics, one for movies and one for TV Series. It also makes the discussion more streamlined. Similar to how many sub sections there are for Bond films.....and other franchises.

And the TV Shows??

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/15933/star-trek-tv-series-1966-present-poll#latest
    Ubisoft is releasing a new Star Trek game. :D
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/star-trek-fan-film-rules/
    CBS have been quite firm with the new Star Trek fan made movie/tv rules.

List of rules in link below.
    http://www.startrek.com/fan-films

I have watched almost all of the fan films, some made with a great deal of respect certainly the continuing voyages of Kirk etc. Though it makes sense for Paramount and CBS to protect there property, with the new rules for fan made films it's unlikely many will get made IMO.

@Murdock The new VR game looks interesting, great to see some familiar faces testing it out. Jeri Ryan has not changed at all, still looks stunning :x
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    There's hardly any discussion in here about the TV Series. And when it is being discussed it's quickly sidetracked by the movie discussion.

Likely because the franchise's TV section has been non-existent since Enterprise was canceled. This will change when the new series begins next year.
    The Original Series USS Enterprise has finished it's year long restoration to be put back on display once again. It's a thing of beauty.
    A7YHotQh.jpg
    Murdock wrote: »
    The Original Series USS Enterprise has finished it's year long restoration to be put back on display once again. It's a thing of beauty.
    A7YHotQh.jpg

I'm in love all over again.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    A7YHotQh.jpg

I'm in love all over again.

Agreed. The people at the Smithsonian really did their best work on her. They even fixed the terrible paint restoration that happened in 1991 where it looked way too over detailed and weathered. Now it's back to it's pristine clean look. I hope the new Star Trek series uses a practical model like the original Enterprise.
    Made a Star Trek Beyond wallpaper using my Playmates Reboot Enterprise. :)
    A5hvgih.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Looks fantastic @Murdock =D>
    Looks fantastic @Murdock =D>
    Thanks @Thunderpussy. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That s beautiful.
    Thanks @Thunderfinger! :)
    Sorry- I have really come to hate that E design... :-S
    I'm not it's biggest fan either but when I actually have a chance to see it in person and rotate and look it over it's not so bad. It's a design that grows on you.
    I'm not it's biggest fan either but when I actually have a chance to see it in person and rotate and look it over it's not so bad. It's a design that grows on you.
    Like fungus?

:)
    Like fungus?

:)

No that's the Narada. I can't tell you where this thing ends or begins. :))
    latest?cb=20120202111408&path-prefix=en