The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    With Nigel going, Little England has lost its Mandela. :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Don't expect courage from a so-called buffoon. Michael Gove is the man for the job of PM but he sadly doesn't come with clean hands as they say in Equity. According to today's Press it's probably going to be between the two women...

michael-gove.jpg?w=400

So you finally understand now why choosing Michael Gove is in essence a choice for a huge multi-headed Cameron-Johnson-Farage beast?

REAL NEW leadership please. Theresa May.

No, I most definitely don't understand your point here or agree with your liberal view that Theresa May should be the next PM. Please don't put words in my mouth. Theresa May didn't have the bottle to come out and campaign for a LEAVE vote but now she wants to benefit from it and David Cameron's resignation to be our next Prim,e Minister. I've one word for her: "pathetic".

Yet you refuse to see that the pivotal "Leave"-campaigners, Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage, are bowing out like dogs with their tails between their legs.

You can say a lot of Theresa May, but at least she's willing to lead after the Brexit, whereas Boris and Nigel only think of fellow party members bullying them and.....a holiday on a big, luxury island of the Seychelles.

It may seem that the some "Remain" politicians are willing to embrace the consequences of a Brexit in a much more dispassionate and realistic way. Theresa May is one of them.

Yes, but I'm backing Michael Gove in this campaign and not those other two. Bear in mind that Nigel Farage has a mere one MP out of 650 in the Westminster Parliament. He won't be missed by me. Boris Johnson is like Lt. Columbo - he looks shabby but people underestimate him and his intellect and ability greatly and that is their eventual undoing. Boris is keeping his powder dry for now. He could be a future Prime Minister in a few years' time, especially if he is allowed to get some actual ministerial experience under his belt with the new Tory Leader and Prime Minister.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Yet you refuse to see that the pivotal "Leave"-campaigners, Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage, are bowing out like dogs with their tails between their legs.

Not forgetting of course the most pivotal Remain campaigner himself doing exactly the same. But don't let me distract you from your rabid slagging off of Leavers.
    With Nigel going, Little England has lost its Mandela. :))

That's pretty funny. Although brace yourself for a hammering from liberals enraged that you dare compare their poster boy to old Nige.
    I'd like to see ALL elections have a second chance in future. That way we can change our
    Minds, change PM or Mayor as we choose :D fun times ahead !
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Some say that Nigel quit because he wanted his life back all we know is that he's after Chris Evans old job on Top Gear .
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Some say that Nigel quit because he wanted his life back all we know is that he's after Chris Evans old job on Top Gear .

:))
    The next PM has to be someone who supporter the LEAVE campaign. Cameron will resign exactly because he was on the losing side, so why are Stephen Crabb and Theresa May even running?
    Because they'd knife their own mother to get power ! :))
    Because they'd knife their own mother to get power ! :))

Yes, let's not tal about the Mighael Gove - Boris Johnson fist fight :-). Marinated with wonderful Klingon daggers :-P.
    Michael is the master of the knife in the back first Cameron then Boris, and
    as no one trusts him now. He has in fact knifed himself in the back :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The next PM has to be someone who supporter the LEAVE campaign. Cameron will resign exactly because he was on the losing side, so why are Stephen Crabb and Theresa May even running?

My thoughts exactly.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Just one small point Nigel Farage can't be in the race to be the next Tory leader - he's in a different party!

Here's what the candidates for the PMship have to say about their position regarding Brexit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/02/tory-leadership-battle-five-questions-for-five-contenders---here/

It's much of a muchness however I remain of the opinion that May would be the least suitable to lead us through this period. Personally It's between Gove & Leadsom for me with the latter just edging it because she enjoys more popular support from within the Brexit camp.

Leadsom for me =D>
    stag wrote: »
    Just one small point Nigel Farage can't be in the race to be the next Tory leader - he's in a different party!

Here's what the candidates for the PMship have to say about their position regarding Brexit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/02/tory-leadership-battle-five-questions-for-five-contenders---here/

It's much of a muchness however I remain of the opinion that May would be the least suitable to lead us through this period. Personally It's between Gove & Leadsom for me with the latter just edging it because she enjoys more popular support from within the Brexit camp.

The 'Brexit'-ers have already shown consistently that they aren't very much into leading the country.

The 'Brexit'-ers have already shown consistently that they aren't very much into leading the country.

Could you please explain how you have reached that conclusion. Thanks.

I think there are plenty of Brexit-ers eager to get going ! =D>
    It is also best to remember that the leave campaign was just that - a campaign to rid us of the EU. It is not a political party therefore by definition 'Brexiters' cannot lead the country. That is up to The Tories. All they need to do is to choose a brexit campaigner from their shortlist.
    By the way....are there actually Labour voters in here? Or LibDems? These topics really seem to be one big Conservative hub these days.

On top of that, ARE there actually 'Progressives' in here instead of 'Conservatives'?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,384
    Plenty of Labour voters voted to Leave :)) one of the reasons Labour in
    in crisis, as their "Remain" MPs are so out of touch with their voters :))

I'm guessing you would regard anyone who agrees with you as "Progressive" :D
    Plenty of Labour voters voted to Leave :)) one of the reasons Labour in
    in crisis, as their "Remain" MPs are so out of touch with their voters :))

I'm guessing you would regard anyone who agrees with you as "Progressive" :D

Just answer my question Mr Smiley Addict :-P.
    I like to think Smilies, make it less aggresive. :x
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I like to think Smilies, make it less aggresive. :x

Less aggressive, more progressive!

Gustav with all due respect you are making the classic mistake that so many observers outside the UK have fallen victim to - to confuse party politics with this referendum. The only question on the ballot paper was do we wish to leave or remain & it transcended all other issues. For your information Labour party supporters/voters most likely swung the referendum in Leaves favour. I am from an area of the UK which solidly votes labour - I'm one of them (for local politics anyway otherwise I'm what's known as a floating voter) - & is considered one of the safest Labour seats in the country. At the referendum almost 80% of those same voters in my area (me included) voted to leave.

It is for the reason I point out in my opening sentence that I personally wouldn't comment on Dutch politics.
    Gustav with all due respect you are making the classic mistake that so many observers outside the UK have fallen victim to - to confuse party politics with this referendum. The only question on the ballot paper was do we wish to leave or remain & it transcended all other issues. For your information Labour party supporters/voters most likely swung the referendum in Leaves favour. I am from an area of the UK which solidly votes labour - I'm one of them (for local politics anyway otherwise I'm what's known as a floating voter) - & is considered one of the safest Labour seats in the country. At the referendum almost 80% of those same voters in my area (me included) voted to leave.

It is for the reason I point out in my opening sentence that I personally wouldn't comment on Dutch politics.

Still, you don't answer my question. What is 'Conservative' and what is 'Progressive'. If I were a UK-citizen I would probably vote for the left-wing part of the Liberal Democrats. You can say that the choice between 'Leave' or 'Remain' transcended all other issues. But that's where you need to have a closer look at. What issues are you referring to? Health care...and the way the EU-market resulted in buying medicines via NHS more cheaper? Education...in which Brussels supported students and young professionals with the Leonardo DaVinci Fund and Erasmus Fund? More intense trade via the EU-deal that Cameron and Brussels agreed on...or, like Trump, quitting on all free trade treaties? Matters of Defense...in which we agree that intense European cooperation can destroy ISIS much better than locking ourselves up in our own countries? With all these issues there still is a progressive and a conservative component. If you like it or not. You can ask simple "YES" or "NO" questions and leave out all the complexities. But these complexities are important to understand if one is more progressive-minded about the future of the UK or more conservative-minded.

And in all honesty......Brexit to me showed an overwhelmingly 'Conservation of Britain' mentality. And that loud voice of that conservation to me is nothing more than extensive 'conservatism'. At least, when you have voted 'Leave'.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053
    Whatever answer I give won't satisfy you unless I say of course that the UK should have voted to remain. I have no desire to get into a protracted argument with someone who has no concept of of the British Psyche as it pertained to this referendum. In short we (the British) voted out. Our decision is just that - ours. Get over it.

Thank you.
    Whatever answer I give won't satisfy you unless I say of course that the UK should have voted to remain. I have no desire to get into a protracted argument with someone who has no concept of of the British Psyche as it pertained to this referendum. In short we (the British) voted out. Our decision is just that - ours. Get over it.

Thank you.

I'm already 'over it' @stag :-). It's a pity that you don't want to discuss or admit that conservatism prevails progressiveness these days. What's wrong with that?

You have progressive and conservative Labour voters. You have progressive and conservative Tory voters. And perhaps you can pinpoint yourself on this map (left/right (links/rechts) vs. progressive/conservative (progressief/conservatief)):

Pol-landschap-2010.gif

Or.....do I hear a bit of shame for voting so intensely conservative? Don't feel ashamed. Admit it.
  • RC7RC7

Thank you.

I'm already 'over it' @stag :-). It's a pity that you don't want to discuss or admit that conservatism prevails progressiveness these days. What's wrong with that?

You have progressive and conservative Labour voters. You have progressive and conservative Tory voters. And perhaps you can pinpoint yourself on this map (left/right (links/rechts) vs. progressive/conservative (progressief/conservatief)):

Pol-landschap-2010.gif

Or.....do I hear a bit of shame for voting so intensely conservative? Don't feel ashamed. Admit it.

Too many labels these days. Everything has become tribal, whether its identity or politics. 'Oh well you're not in my camp, so you're morally inferior'. Ironically it seems 'progressiveness' has brought about the very thing it suggests it wants to prevent, 'social discord'.
    RC7 wrote: »

Thank you.

Pol-landschap-2010.gif

Too many labels these days. Everything has become tribal, whether its identity or politics. 'Oh well you're not in my camp, so you're morally inferior'. Ironically it seems 'progressiveness' has brought about the very thing it suggests it wants to prevent, 'social discord'.

Well, that's open for intense debate. In my humble opinion the 'social discord' you are referring too, at times was caused by conservatives who intensely hugged the aspects of free trade and capitalism.

Also, one can be 'fiscally conservative' and 'social progressive'. Or even 'fiscally progressive' and social conservative'. I do hope you are not referring to elements of 'social conservatism', because I am very happy we have gay marriage these days.
    Agreed, I think it's easy to put people in boxes of right or left, but honestly
    People are more complicated than that.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053

Thank you.

Pol-landschap-2010.gif

TBH Gustav I believe you're on the verge of trolling. I answered some of your questions in a previous post only to be told that I hadn't answered them 'for fear that conservatism prevails progressiveness' & that 'I am ashamed for voting the way I did'. It's a great gift you have there - the ability to get into peoples minds & tell everyone what those people are thinking - you should join the circus. Methinks the real problem here lies not with me or any other person who was eligible to take part in the referendum & chose (that chose bit is about individual rights) but in yourself who have become accustomed to the mantras which the EU hides behind in order to demonise those who do not agree with its dictates.

As for the referendum & with the greatest respect - it is patently obvious that you really do not have a single clue so why do you labour points over which you have absolutely no knowledge?

You're far from 'over it'.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.