No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It's been a while for me for both of those too @DaltonCraig007. They'd make an excellent double bill. Different but brilliant performances from him, and he deserved his Oscar in both instances. Leo is fantastic in Django too, especially when he goes nuts.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,692
    @bondjames the card game in the pub sequence in Inglourious and the dinner scene in Django by themselves are worth rewatching these 2 films.
    Agreed @DaltonCraig007.. The card game is just brilliant. Fassbender is amazing in it and that Gestapo officer scares the s#!^ out of me every time.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Blofeld was poorly written in SP. Waltz didn't have too much to work with BUT the performance itself was too linear too one note.

I couldn't tell from the performance or the interviews if he was into it anyway.
    I don't think, it was just the script. He could have played it very differently. Instead of just grinning all the tie like a lunatic, he could have make an effort to let us see something in his eyes and else. No - IMO it was him, who was weak.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I don't think it helped that they used different takes in the film. I thought the ones used in the teaser trailer was much better suited to the overall scene.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I don't think it helped that they used different takes in the film. I thought the ones used in the teaser trailer was much better suited to the overall scene.

Yes, they went for bland, the trailers gave us a more sinister take.
    Agreed. One of several errors. The only '2nd take' which was better was Craig talking about overdue holidays in M's office. The trailer take was awful, and the film version was better (although only slightly).

The same applied to SF too. Silva's "what's yours?" in the trailer was so much better imho.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Yes, they went for bland, the trailers gave us a more sinister take.

It threw the whole scene out of balance by mixing the takes. Part of the time he sounds sinister, and part of the time he's uses a completely different tone of voice. If you're not paying close careful attention, you could easily think two different characters are speaking.

• RC7RC7
    Misleading thread title again. This shouldn't be the MI6 version of The Mail.
    I think we are referring to the UK rag of the same name, renown for unsubstantiated gossip and rumours. I'm personally ok with it, in lieu of anything concrete to talk about. Keeps us all chugging along.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,115
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think we are referring to the UK rag of the same name, renown for unsubstantiated gossip and rumours. I'm personally ok with it, in lieu of anything concrete to talk about. Keeps us all chugging along.

Although that rag, for whatever reason, has been accurate on a number of 007 related stories. Most of them were done by Baz Bamigboye, who left the Bond beat in late 2014. But one non-Bamigboye story that panned out was the one that said Waltz was going to play Blofeld although he'd be introduced as Oberhauser.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2845621/You-weren-t-expecting-007-BLOFELD-S-Bond-having-kittens-evil-foe-returns-double-Oscar-winner-Christoph-Waltz-tipped-play-him.html
    I've waited forever for them to bring back Blofeld. The fact that they got Waltz to play the role was a terrific (albeit slightly obvious) piece of casting.

Naturally, like a lot of fans here, I was disappointed with the way Blofeld and Spectre were handled in the film.

Mendes really fudged the character. I don't even really mind the whole half-brother angle, however, I feel that if you are going to include that aspect it's important to build the film around the idea. In my opinion the whole "cuckoo" plot felt undercooked and something of an afterthought thrown in give Bond an unnecessary emotional resonance to the villain.

It's most shocking when you consider that the entire subplot could have been ditched in the editing room and it wouldn't have effected the film at all.

The December script had a fantastic card game scene that built on this relationship and the cringeworthy torture scene was so perfunctory and cliched in comparison.

Additionally, despite his rhetoric of not wanting to dissect his characters, Waltz has become rather one-note of late. He plays the same charismatic and articulate villains in same bland Hollywood movies - the latest he's churning out is next month's Tarzan.

Despite this I felt that he didn't quite indulge in his usual pantomime tricks. He plays Blofeld with a cold aloof menace, only occasionally going into his typical grab-bag of tricks.

I felt we needed more of him in SP. The film seems to set him up for a return - in many ways SP is "Blofeld Begins" as we see the classic iconography reappear and fall into shape.

Finally, I got such a kick outta seeing Waltz with that terrific scar on his face. Also I loved Bond's line "You're a hard man to kill, Blofeld". The film needed more scenes like the confrontation in the Mi6 HQ!

300?cb=20160408201603

Funnily enough Waltz's best performance in the film is when he's in silhouette in Rome. If only they let him cameo in the shadows here and cast another actor to play Franz Oberhauser, setting Blofeld up for Bond 25.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2016 Posts: 45,489
    But one non-Bamigboye story that panned out was the one that said Waltz was going to play Blofeld although he'd be introduced as Oberhauser.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2845621/You-weren-t-expecting-007-BLOFELD-S-Bond-having-kittens-evil-foe-returns-double-Oscar-winner-Christoph-Waltz-tipped-play-him.html
    Anyone could guess that.
  • RC7RC7
    I'd just prefer it if it were a little less 'Clickbait', we're better than that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm fine with the speculative titles, but I can only assume more concrete BTS information will be shared when the time comes, as well? I asked you about it last time to no avail, but if we can avoid those particular details being shared in the title thread once filming eventually begins, I'd appreciate it. I want to go into Bond 25 as blind as I can, past the inevitable press conference. I'd like to be able to frequent the forums still when the time comes for other threads.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm fine with the speculative titles, but I can only assume more concrete BTS information will be shared when the time comes, as well? I asked you about it last time to no avail, but if we can avoid those particular details being shared in the title thread once filming eventually begins, I'd appreciate it. I want to go into Bond 25 as blind as I can, past the inevitable press conference. I'd like to be able to frequent the forums still when the time comes for other threads.
    Absolutely. Once filming starts I will leave out all spoilers from the thread title, and all other spoilers will be in spoiler tags.
    I suppose it depends on what some see as a "spoiler." Anything BTS/not told in a well-circulated article should be omitted, I feel. Only way something may be spoiled to any degree then is by entering the thread itself.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 scary to think that for the both of us, Bond 25 will be the last film where we'll be younger than Lazenby in OHMSS, and by the time Bond 26 comes, we'll be around the same age Connery was in DN.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I suppose it depends on what some see as a "spoiler." Anything BTS/not told in a well-circulated article should be omitted, I feel. Only way something may be spoiled to any degree then is by entering the thread itself.
    All the thread rules are on the opening post. I won't include spoilerific news in the timeline, either.
    Well what one person may consider a spoiler is different from what someone else may define it as. I'll just wait until that day comes and go from there.
    @Birdleson, I had people say the same thing to me because I didn't know M died in SF, and this was a couple months before the film was released anywhere. Happens every time, so I may do the same as you and finally take a long break once things kick off. I tire of having these movies spoiled for me because people get overly excited or can't figure out the complexities of spoiler tags.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I had Blofeld ruined for me on more than one occasion leading up to SP. The Sony leaks didn't help much either, as there were a select number of people on these boards who new the majority of the film's details long before others did. It was essentially the same scenario as the gap between the UK and NA releases, only for many months.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,513
    I don't necessarily know if Blofeld was ever "ruined" for me, because it felt so obvious to me from the start. Hiring Waltz and naming it 'Spectre' after re-acquiring the ESB rights gave it all away. But yes, the leaks and scripts being sent around didn't help, either. Hopefully things run much more smoothly this time around.
    I don't necessarily know if Blofeld was ever "ruined" for me, because it felt so obvious to me from the start. Hiring Waltz and naming it 'Spectre' after re-acquiring the ESB rights gave it all away. But yes, the leaks and scripts being sent around didn't help, either. Hopefully things run much more smoothly this time around.
    Which is why it would have been wiser for EON to hide the fact that they acquired the rights to SPECTRE and the characters affiliated with it, and to have called the film The Death Collector like what was originally planned. It's no doubt EON have changed the way they handle the production process since the leaks, or at least put more caution into the way they communicate with each other and studio executives.
    Much better title, too. Missed opportunity there, but hopefully they've learned from these mistakes whenever 'Bond 25' inevitably begins.
    Much better title, too. Missed opportunity there, but hopefully they've learned from these mistakes whenever 'Bond 25' inevitably begins.

Hopefully they have learned from the mistakes of Spectre. I have my doubts though, although we'll really have an idea whether they have or not when we find out who is writing the next one.
    @dalton, time will tell. I do hope so, and I hope they can deliver something truly unique and exciting this next time around.
    @dalton, time will tell. I do hope so, and I hope they can deliver something truly unique and exciting this next time around.

Agreed.

If we have a new Bond in the next film, they'll probably rise to the occasion, as they seem to do so most of the time when they're introducing a new actor. What I'd like to see is that kind of effort and creative spark applied to a film that wasn't an actor's debut.

Whether you liked Spectre or not, the next entry in the series will undoubtedly have new creative blood at the helm. With all its flaws, I still love the film. And EON tend to be good at bouncing back up after they've made mistakes. It all up to the audience reactions for the producers to improve upon their errors.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    jake24 wrote: »
    Which is why it would have been wiser for EON to hide the fact that they acquired the rights to SPECTRE and the characters affiliated with it, and to have called the film The Death Collector like what was originally planned. It's no doubt EON have changed the way they handle the production process since the leaks, or at least put more caution into the way they communicate with each other and studio executives.

Or just the opposite and not hide. Might have encouraged the newer gens of Bond fans to brush up on the character.

But really not so much that. Just it would not have necessary to hide the fact.