Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,131
    But you wouldn't say no if you were Hiddleston would you? I wouldn't. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hiddleston almost seems like Bond now, with rumours of porking Swift etc. The consummate playboy bachelor.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,131
    True.....very clever PR no doubt too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    suavejmf wrote: »
    That last pic of Turner......very middle eastern terrorist! :))

Ah, perfect for the PTS. Bond is undercover and in a spectacular manner thwarts a terrorist plot. Next we see the exterior of a spectacular resort in Dubai. Within a beautiful woman lounges on a bed in an opulent suite. We hear water running, it stops; a shirtless figure emerges from the bathroom; his face partially obscured as he towels dry his face. Once done we see a clean shaven, smooth, Turner. looking down at her he teases, " Now where were we?" .......Title song!

Good idea. But still not keen on Turners (sometimes) Iraq-esque looks.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,185
    You should not forget that the leech tabloids are feeding off of Hiddleston more that vice versa. Does anyone seriously think that having a photoshot in his Boxers will Land him any movie role?! Movie roles are what raises his Profile because he's an actor. Tabloids have very little to Do with that.
    He is supposedly the new Bond thats why everyone is on his a** right now.
    And yes, all this will be forgotten in... pretty much tomorrow
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 725
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hiddleston almost seems like Bond now, with rumours of porking Swift etc. The consummate playboy bachelor.

Your idea of "consummate playboy bachelor" and mine are about 180% apart. Most of Swift's so called romances have been with beards. Swift and Hiddleston both appear to be quite asexual. The staged "romantic" shots on the rocks and the recent boxer posing efforts smack of phony PR stuff. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hiddleston is a good actor, but he is about as genuinely masculine as Barry Manilow.

He'll act Bond OK, but he will never have the tough, masculine edge a great Bond should have. The charm, posh stuff is easy. But as Mendes said during SP promo, there are very few truly masculine actors out there. Hiddleston is not one of them. I can't stand Elba's arrogance, but at least he has the swagger and masculinity that a great Bond should have. Hiddleston does not.

• edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Not sure if I should say this (what the heck, you only live once, right!) but that photo of Hiddleston looks like a picture you'd see on a gay dating site*.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/20/14/357B998B00000578-3650564-Come_hither_stare_The_35_year_old_British_actor_can_be_seen_posi-a-22_1466430164384.jpg

'Meet Tom. He's an actor and looking for love. Click his profile link to contact him.'

;))

*Not that I visit any. I'm just guessing what they look like. Honest!
    Yeah, that shot would have worked better if left from the waist up; as is it's kind of creepy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Can imagine the headline of the spread; "Tommy-Gun: Come fiddle with the Hiddle".
  • talos7 wrote: »

Ah, perfect for the PTS. Bond is undercover and in a spectacular manner thwarts a terrorist plot. Next we see the exterior of a spectacular resort in Dubai. Within a beautiful woman lounges on a bed in an opulent suite. We hear water running, it stops; a shirtless figure emerges from the bathroom; his face partially obscured as he towels dry his face. Once done we see a clean shaven, smooth, Turner. looking down at her he teases, " Now where were we?" .......Title song!

Haha, I like this scenario very much, and the ending is epic =D>. Here is Turner in that last scene, shaven but still with long hair though, so to speak – shaven, not trimmed B-) (is it a correct expression?)

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo2_1280.png
    tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo3_1280.png
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,081
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Lame. Sorry, the guy is a media whore type. I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he comes over a bit tacky or desperate for attention. That image is from a new photo shoot (source Daily Mail). The guy as James Bond? Forget it. [-O<

I also dislike that photo shoot and already commented on it. I don't think much of underwear photo shoots in general and that was a really bad one.

However, if a woman was doing an underwear shoot I bet the guys here wouldn't think that made them desperate for attention and would disqualify them from appearing in Bond movies - quite the opposite, in fact, as seen here before. Interesting double standards.

---

@bondjames, Well, I can say this: I'd rather see Murphy as Bond (or in movies in general) than Hiddleston. Admittedly I've seen far less of Hiddleston (only as Loki and the first 4 episodes of The Night Manager), but that would definitely be my opinion at this point.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Germanlady wrote: »
    We both are ;)

To me Pierce is someone, and I do like the guy for his engagement with whales, who Looks Good If you Look at him for a short moment. The longer I watch his features, the more odd looking He seems to me. With DC its the opposite, first Look can be meh, but there is so much to discover and He gets more beautiful, the more you do.

...and the good thing is, we are both right in our own little universe :)

Like you said we both are

;)

and you are right on Craig, he looks better the more you look at him but i would never find Pierce odd looking hehe
    talos7 wrote: »

Haha, I like this scenario very much, and the ending is epic =D>. Here is Turner in that last scene, shaven but still with long hair though, so to speak – shaven, not trimmed B-) (is it a correct expression?)

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo2_1280.png
    tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo3_1280.png

Yes! but with a bit more of a slight, devil's, grin; the work is done and now the reward. ;)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 676
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    And why won't Craig and Eon say anything?!! ~X(
    Craig has the job until EON says otherwise. From what I understand, all this hub-bub about Craig leaving has been almost entirely generated by media speculation. I'm surprised Bond fans have bought into it so heavily.

As for some of the last few posts... Are homophobia and rumours about Hiddleston's sexuality going to follow him around, like cries of "too ugly!" followed Craig around? Yikes.

edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    shaven, not trimmed B-)
    We are getting naughty. I love it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There's nothing to say really. Without a distributor EON can't do anything. MGM is holding up the train. They have 3 potential candidates they are choosing from. Until that time, EON's and Craig's options are limited at this time. Can't start the car without the keys, so to speak.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,081
    smitty wrote: »

Your idea of "consummate playboy bachelor" and mine are about 180% apart. Most of Swift's so called romances have been with beards. Swift and Hiddleston both appear to be quite asexual. The staged "romantic" shots on the rocks and the recent boxer posing efforts smack of phony PR stuff. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hiddleston is a good actor, but he is about as genuinely masculine as Barry Manilow.

Hmm. I haven't seen those "romantic" pics, nor am I interested in seeing them, and I couldn't care less if there's a romance there or not. I know even less about Swift than I know about Hiddleston, so basically nothing - I know she's a pop star, and apparently popular, but I don't know if I've ever even heard any of her music, and I wouldn't necessarily recognize her face. Obviously I also wouldn't know anything about Swift's "so called romances" but how do you know they are "so called"?

However, many people seem very sure that those pics were staged, so just out of curiosity; why do people think that? Also, why would either one of them do that - what would be the goal? Just seems such an idiotic thing for anyone to do.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Murdock wrote: »
    There's nothing to say really. Without a distributor EON can't do anything. MGM is holding up the train. They have 3 potential candidates they are choosing from. Until that time, EON's and Craig's options are limited at this time. Can't start the car without the keys, so to speak.

Or gas/petrol ($$$)
    Murdock wrote: »

Or gas/petrol ($$$)
    Precisely. ;)
  • SasSas

I don't think those pictures from Rhode Island were staged shots. Taylor Swift was in 2012/2013 the 'national lightning rod for slut shaming' as she called it herself, because she dated 2 boys in 1 year. That was the reason why she was single until she met Calvin Harris in 2015. Why on earth would she throw that investment away? Definitely not for a PR stunt with some actor who wants to become James Bond.

Tuulia wrote: »

Obviously I also wouldn't know anything about Swift's "so called romances" but how do you know they are "so called"?

However, many people seem very sure that those pics were staged, so just out of curiosity; why do people think that? Also, why would either one of them do that - what would be the goal? Just seems such an idiotic thing for anyone to do.

The photos were taken on Taylor Swift's private beach residence in Newport, RI - they are highly detailed shots that were obviously taken from a close distance, i.e. on the property itself. So either someone got past her security and bodyguards and trespassed, or they were invited. There's no blur or lack of focus that you regularly see in "candid" paparazzi shots, and it's not like there are hordes of paparazzi cruising Rhode Island.
    What do they get out of it? Well, he gets a big profile boost. As someone else noted, this immediately led to several "Who is Tom Hiddleston?" articles, so he gets buzz about him, it shoots down rumors about his (and her) sexuality, and gives him a "Hey, well if he can land Taylor Swift, he can definitely be James Bond!" narrative.

He'll act Bond OK, but he will never have the tough, masculine edge a great Bond should have. The charm, posh stuff is easy. But as Mendes said during SP promo, there are very few truly masculine actors out there. Hiddleston is not one of them. I can't stand Elba's arrogance, but at least he has the swagger and masculinity that a great Bond should have. Hiddleston does not.

You're right, smitty. I see people keep saying "Oh he can go to the gym and bulk up". But...so what? The gym can give you abs, but it can't give you toughness. Connery in TB didn't have abs, but he looks like he would destroy you if you tangled with him. Piddles is never going to have that, with his ectomorph physique. And to follow Craig, who brought back genuine masculinity and toughness to the gig? It would be the most jarring transition since Moore to Dalton, and that didn't work out too well for him. I mentioned this before, but Craig brought something of a working class factor to the role that I think boosted Bond's wide appeal somewhat, making Bond more relatable to audiences who previously weren't interested. Obviously that's out the window too if it's Piddles as Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    dinovelvet wrote: »

You're right, smitty. I see people keep saying "Oh he can go to the gym and bulk up". But...so what? The gym can give you abs, but it can't give you toughness. Connery in TB didn't have abs, but he looks like he would destroy you if you tangled with him. Piddles is never going to have that, with his ectomorph physique. And to follow Craig, who brought back genuine masculinity and toughness to the gig? It would be the most jarring transition since Moore to Dalton, and that didn't work out too well for him. I mentioned this before, but Craig brought something of a working class factor to the role that I think boosted Bond's wide appeal somewhat, making Bond more relatable to audiences who previously weren't interested. Obviously that's out the window too if it's Piddles as Bond.

So many strong opinions. Some feel the same about Turner.

I'm sure lurking somewhere is a Jamie Bell fan even.

edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    hiddlesnotbond.com is still available. I think there might be some demand for it down the line, so I would recommend certain folks get in quick and then try to sell it on for profit later
    I just sincerely hope that EON has cast the net significantly wider than these two supposed "frontrunners". If they haven't, and I'd be shocked if this is as far as they've looked, then this has got to be the worst set of finalists for the role we've ever seen, even including replacing Sean Connery with a male model. I mean, seriously, the two most talked about "candidates" for the role are a TV actor with no charisma beyond a vague resemblance to Timothy Dalton and the other is trying to boost his profile with underwear photoshoots and chasing after Taylor Swift.
    The more I see of Hiddleston and Turner the more I want them to not be Bond.
    " TV actor with no charisma beyond a vague resemblance to Timothy Dalton "

That is one opinion. Having seen his work I have a different opinion. In the end though I do think the next bond will be someone who does not have a high profile at this time.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 9,730
    d7613e3b9c27d8961aeace4ff25b5400.jpgSo what about the likes of Fassbender and Hardy?

In fact look at the fan art above and tell me he doesn't look perfect!
    Fassbender is my top pick for the role.