Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Indeed Murphy is a fantastic actor, and very versatile. Red Eye? Okay, he was good in that, too, but it was such a cliched, bad movie otherwise.

suavejmf wrote: »
    I agree with everything you say and I watch Peaky Blinders. Cillian is a talented and versatile actor, who can play suave. But is he handsome enough?

Eh? He's easily more handsome than Hiddleston and Turner combined (IMO, obviously).

bondjames wrote: »
    Batman Begins proved he's decent, but he appears a bit slight, and more suited for villainy imho. He'll always be Dr. Jonathan Crane to me.

You haven't seen him much in other type of roles then, have you? Or maybe you have, and we just really, really disagree on that. I'd say he can do anything on the soft/vulnerable/innocent to hard/cruel/psychotic scale.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Indeed Murphy is a fantastic actor, and very versatile. Red Eye? Okay, he was good in that, too, but it was such a cliched, bad movie otherwise.

I agree with everything you say and I watch Peaky Blinders. Cillian is a talented and versatile actor, who can play suave. But is he handsome enough?

Eh? He's easily more handsome than Hiddleston and Turner combined (IMO, obviously).

Batman Begins proved he's decent, but he appears a bit slight, and more suited for villainy imho. He'll always be Dr. Jonathan Crane to me.

You haven't seen him much in other type of roles then, have you? Or maybe you have, and we just really, really disagree on that. I'd say he can do anything on the soft/vulnerable/innocent to hard/cruel/psychotic scale.

I'd say that he's definitely got that cruel look about him that Hiddleston and, especially, Turner don't have. Murphy would be something of a left field choice for the part, perhaps even moreso than Craig was, but I think he'd provide the audience with something much more interesting in terms of his take on the character than either of the supposed two "frontrunners".
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    dalton wrote: »

I'd say that he's definitely got that cruel look about him that Hiddleston and, especially, Turner don't have. Murphy would be something of a left field choice for the part, perhaps even moreso than Craig was, but I think he'd provide the audience with something much more interesting in terms of his take on the character than either of the supposed two "frontrunners".
    Yep!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    All this talk about Murphy got me thinking.. Someone please cast Timothy Dalton in the next season of 'Peaky Blinders'!
    dalton wrote: »

It's an acting thing. I haven't seen Turner in anything (as far as I know), and can't say much about Hiddleston, yet, but I've seen Cillian Murphy a lot (about 20 movies, one miniseries, and 3 seasons of Peaky Blinders). Murphy can believably act the cruel look when needed - or not look remotely cruel when something else is needed. The same with his voice, actually.

He'd definitely be a very interesting choice.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I've seen him in Batman, Red Eye, and In Time (but can't remember him in it, nor can I remember the film quite frankly). I'm sure he's a very good actor. I just don't see the 'star power' in him. Bale, for instance has that in spades, imho. Murphy comes across more like a character actor. A supporting star.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

I've seen him in Batman, Red Eye, and In Time (but can't remember him in it, nor can I remember the film quite frankly). I'm sure he's a very good actor. I just don't see the 'star power' in him. Bale, for instance has that in spades, imho. Murphy comes across more like a character actor. A supporting star.

To be fair. That's who Craig was.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    No one yet has mentioned Murphy is an American actor.

Still even if British not my choice. Great villain though. Blofeld, Jr. maybe ...going after Uncle James. Quick!!! Call Logan and Mendes and BB that's a great idea!! Might have to get P&W to polish up the idea though.

I need my pills.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Actually Murphy is Irish like good ole Pierce. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    Actually Murphy is Irish like good ole Pierce. ;)

I did not know that. Hmm... ok thanks, again.

Okay, so you haven't seen him much in other type of roles (btw, I don't remember In Time, either) - which is what I was wondering, because of the "more suited for villainy" comment. I was just disagreeing with that and saying he is very much suited for other types of roles, too.

As for what you're saying here... Well, 'star power'... I don't know. It's a concept that's kinda hard to define. - Hmm, an interesting interview question might be made of that; Some journalists have tried - unsuccessfully - to argue with Bale that he's a movie star. I'd love to know how he'd feel about being told he has star power... (Yeah, they're not the same thing, but kinda related.) Bale considers himself a character actor, who is lucky to get lead roles, too, due movie business not being movie star based the way it used to be.

I think they are both character actors. I realize you meant that in a somewhat different way, but anyway... I think Murphy is great in lead roles, as well as supporting. Not that he has ever done one in a really big movie, yet, but I don't see why he couldn't. (Bale started that that at age 12 - not everyone gets to do that.) I'm not arguing Murphy (or any other specific actor) should be Bond, but I think he's one of the most interesting names suggested.

[I wanted to add a few smilies, but IIRC you dislike them, so I'm hoping this still reads in the spirit it was written in.]

In a very much similar place, yes - lead roles in smaller movies, supporting roles in some bigger movies, tv work.

edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Tuulia, to clarify, yes I've not seen him in much I'll admit, and I recall him as a villain in everything I've seen, so that forms my impressions to date. I'm sure he'll be excellent in other roles too, because he's apparently a great actor, like Craig.

Regarding Bale, I'm referring more to screen charisma. It's somewhat unquantifiable, but I see it in Bale much more than I see it in Murphy. I knew it the first time I saw Bale. It's a 'who is that guy' kind of thing, which certain actors have.
    That's true, and I do see Murphy as more in the Craig mold. The latter really hasn't lit the world on fire from a popularity standpoint either, at least not outside Bond, which is my point. That's what I mean by star power.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Somebody recently mentioned Tom Hughes as a potential successor to Daniel Craig. Not being familiar with him I decided to check out the BBC spy drama 'The Game' to get an idea.
    473044640-tom-hughes-poses-in-the-winners-room-at-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QV6X1SUe%2BPFS%2BbNgxLnX2tHvNICKT1NE5%2FKqahRS1ITS38EkF29MDHLGXLGLnDPRVw%3D%3D
    giphy.gif

Certainly has a dark cruel way about him. Handsome in the right way, and at 30 a good age to begin as Bond. Could definitely see him as a good follow up to Craig.
    @bondjames... Yeah... Oh wait, you haven't seen 28 Days Later? Inception? I wonder if you'd enjoy Breakfast On Pluto (Murphy was adorable as a sweet and optimistic transgender woman with a very adventurous and unusual life) or Peacock (Murphy plays a character with a multiple personality disorder, being both husband and wife). Or maybe Perrier's Bounty (a crime comedy drama). If you're even interested, that is. And I think he's great as a crime gang leader in Peaky Blinders. But it's all opinion, of course.
    I was thinking you maybe meant screen charisma, but ... it's a mysterious thing I don't know how to comment on.
    I'd agree with you on Bale vs Murphy, of course, but just saying Murphy is quite wonderful, too (IMO).
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I have a new candidate which was mentioned over here some time ago and now mentioned on IMDB im talking about Sam Heughan.
    He does have the classic Bond look and seeing a few clips of him On Youtube from Outlander seems like the perfect choice.
    I do wish Tom Hughes never gets anywhere near Bond. I'd sooner have George Lazenby back than him on board.
    Sam Heughan? I was sooo disappointed in how they turned my Jamie into a boy. :((
    (In Roger Moore's voice) "Twenty-first century."
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Sam Heughan? I was sooo disappointed in how they turned my Jamie into a boy. :((

Hehe, did you read the outlander books?
    I haven't but many book lovers hate when the chosen actor doesn't fit whst they imagined .
    I think Heughan is really attractive but you love Craig so i can see why obviously handsome or pretty boys are not your thing.

As a fan of Brosnan 's Bond its natural that I support guys like Hueghan or Henry Cavil but i can see you might not like him.

Szonana wrote: »

I haven't but many book lovers hate when the chosen actor doesn't fit whst they imagined .
    I think Heughan is really attractive but you love Craig so i can see why obviously handsome or pretty boys are not your thing.

As a fan of Brosnan 's Bond its natural that I support guys like Hueghan or Henry Cavil but i can see you might not like him.

Of course, I read the books. That's why. has nothing to do with DC. In the books, jamie was described as a MAN. SH is just too young to fit that description and never came across - for me - as any sort of manly. IMO they twisted the character into more of a very young man,, who is more a victim all the time then someone, who knows, what he is doing, as what i always saw jamie in the books.

..and yes, pretty boys are not my thing, but handsome - of course and I would think, that DC is very handsome. Why else would have the women all over the world gone nuts over him after CR?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »

Of course, I read the books. That's why. has nothing to do with DC. In the books, jamie was described as a MAN. SH is just too young to fit that description and never came across - for me - as any sort of manly. IMO they twisted the character into more of a very young man,, who is more a victim all the time then someone, who knows, what he is doing, as what i always saw jamie in the books.

..and yes, pretty boys are not my thing, but handsome - of course and I would think, that DC is very handsome. Why else would have the women all over the world gone nuts over him after CR?

Ohh ok now I see why you didn't like Sam as Jamie.

I don't think Craig is that classically handsome, sure he is attractive and manly but I don't think he is instantly swoon worthy like Pierce.

I think no Bond actor before or after Pierce has been obviously good looking. Pierce was like Brad Pitt that he might not be your type but you can't deny he was incredibly good looking.

but I might be a little baissed since I do love Pierce in every way I find him the most attractive and best looking actor of all time and obviously I think the same if his James Bond
    but I might be a little baissed since I do love Pierce in every way I find him the most attractive and best looking actor of all time and obviously I think the same if his James Bond

A little biased? Surely not! ;))
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    fanbond123 wrote: »

A little biased? Surely not! ;))
    Ok highly baissed. I guess im guilty of that crime

;)
    We both are ;)

To me Pierce is someone, and I do like the guy for his engagement with whales, who Looks Good If you Look at him for a short moment. The longer I watch his features, the more odd looking He seems to me. With DC its the opposite, first Look can be meh, but there is so much to discover and He gets more beautiful, the more you do.

...and the good thing is, we are both right in our own little universe :)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I'd rather the next James Bond wasn't trying to do a 'David Beckham' modeling impersonation:

357B998B00000578-3650564-Come_hither_stare_The_35_year_old_British_actor_can_be_seen_posi-a-22_1466430164384.jpg

Lame. Sorry, the guy is a media whore type. I'm sure he's a nice bloke but he comes over a bit tacky or desperate for attention. That image is from a new photo shoot (source Daily Mail). The guy as James Bond? Forget it. [-O<
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,756
    All this talk about Cillian Murphy makes me disappointed if we had someone like Hiddleston. But in Barbara we trust, if she approves of him then I will accept it. She is the one who tested 200 actors and decided on the humble Craig.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @fanbond123, he is an overcompensation to DC's don't give a 'f' attitude. Hiddle is going all out in the opposite direction. A bit cringe worthy, I'll admit, but as I said on another thread, impressive from an aspirational viewpoint. The Rog eyebrow can be seen slightly too.

@Tuulia, yes, I did see Inception of course. I forgot about that. Once again, that's because Murphy wasn't too memorable. In fact, I recall now that DiCaprio totally outshone him in their scenes together, as did Hardy even in a small role. So I stand by my point that he is probably a very good actor, but lacking in the screen charisma dept.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I think Bond would best served with Murphy in an antagonist role.

Hiddleston needs to chill. I think he's trying to sell his chances but it's coming off desperate. Everything he's done can easily be forgotten in time.

This is not a negative statement against others rumored but why is Turner and Hardy and others quiet? Only Fassbender and Hiddleston have said anything recently.

And why won't Craig and Eon say anything?!! ~X(

And also I'm kind of backing off endorsing any Bond candidate right now.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Turner and Hardy are quiet, because Turner is only a candidate in the eyes of the press/ (UK only) and Hardy is too expensive and short. Have you ever thought that Hiddleston might be being told to raise his international profile (by his agent/ sponsors and possibly EON) - Or rather people are doing it for him. Even if he isn't Bond. Good for him, it's only the stupid public who buy into the hype (i.e. silly stories about his love life etc that people with half a brain couldn't care less about) - raising his profile and getting him cash.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Turner and Hardy are quiet, because Turner is only a candidate in the eyes of the press/ (UK only) and Hardy is too expensive and short. Have you ever thought that Hiddleston might be being told to raise his international profile (by his agent/ sponsors and possibly EON) - Or rather people are doing it for him. Even if he isn't Bond. Good for him, it's only the stupid public who buy into the hype (i.e. silly stories about his love life etc that people with half a brain couldn't care less about) - raising his profile and getting him cash.

Oh yes I am sure Hiddleston's agent and possible others pushing for or facilitating the added exposure.