Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Hello, here are several gifs of Aidan Turner as Philip Lombard in "And Then There Were None" - I thoght they are quite bondesque, maybe you would be interested (or maybe you've seen them already).

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo6_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo8_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo7_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo9_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo10_r1_500.gif

By the way, yesterday he was celebrating the victory of Irish team on Euro 2016.

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo3_r1_540.jpg
    Be amazing if Ireland or Wales win Euro 2016! That will be something.
    Shrugs Aidan Turner to me is like Clive Owen looks ok but I haven't seen him in anything and YouTube has dozens of interviews but no scenes of him wel acting if someone can show me a scene of him acting not a picture not a gif but an actual scene then we will talk Untill then...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    We really disagree on so many things, @Risico007. ;)
    I do my best Clark but to be fair I would take your 007 games in their own continuity if I could just have a new bond game!!! Plus this way I could have Liam Neeson as 007 as he would sit in a chair and well read a script and the model in the game would be based on him circa 1992

:)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Shrugs Aidan Turner to me is like Clive Owen looks ok but I haven't seen him in anything and YouTube has dozens of interviews but no scenes of him wel acting if someone can show me a scene of him acting not a picture not a gif but an actual scene then we will talk Untill then...

@Risico007 mate, it ain't our obligation to show you anyone "acting". If you're that bothered then seek out one of Turner's films or shows yourself not select clips.

Aidan Turner and Hiddleston both have the public support (well, at least according to Twitter), but I feel we need to look further afield for the next Bond.

Here are a slew of actors people aren't talking about but I feel should be considered:

Joe Cole (Peaky Blinders, Offender, Green Room)

tumblr_nmsudtRzgP1rs1y0wo1_500.gif

Paapa Essiedu (National Theatre's King Lear, RSC's Hamlet)

75ebafbbd35d0671c57e510ae49424ef.jpg

Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction, Sing Street, Macbeth, What Richard Did)

App-Jack-Reynor-Insider.jpg

Alexander Skarsgård (True Blood, The Legend of Tarzan)

alexander-skarsgard-hickey-freeman-new-ad.jpg

Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave, Triple 9, The Martian, Secret in Their Eyes)

5843190_10274_6eae10828956e78d7cd4c3b77cf9bbae_wm.jpg

Jamie Dornan (Fifty Shades of Grey, The Fall)

Jamie-Dornan-fifty-shades-of-grey-hogan-model-christian-grey-handsome-455875.jpg

Matthew McNulty (Misfits, The Musketeers, Jamaica Inn)

generarImagen.php?fichero=43dfdab253acae05e3175d1d51d802f7.jpg&height=400

David Ajala (Starred Up, Jupiter Ascending)

black-box-02.jpg

Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders, Batman Begins, Red Eye, Inception)

anigif_enhanced-12204-1431097028-4.gif

Ed Skrein (Deadpool, The Transporter Refueled)

edskreinpic.jpg

and, obviously....Danny Dyer

Danny_Dyer_dubs_ov_2541014n.jpg

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I recognize Ajala from TDK, which I recently watched again. He's the bounty hunter who brings in the Joker (pretending to be dead) to Michael Jai White's gangsta.
    Out of your list I would be ok with Cillian Murphy and Ed Skrien but outside of that meh

None of them have the bond look

Ewan Mcgreggor I realize is only 44 perhaps a trilogy with him as 007
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @Pierce2Daniel
    I love Alexander Skarsgard looks wise for Bond and seing a few clips from True Blood he does have the attitude as well the only problem is that he is not British.

Jamie Dornan could work he has the looks and has o,ayed a serial killer on the fall so he could bring both sides of the character the cahrming and sophisticated Guy and the cold blooded killer.
    He would also bring the woman who liked him as Christian Gray.

Ed Skrin is someone i have to check his acting but his looks convince me

From what I've seen of Ed Skreen to date, he belongs in the Jai Courtney, Sam Worthington, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Liam Hemsworth category.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Ed Skreen to date, he belongs in the Jai Courtney, Sam Worthington, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Liam Hemsworth category.

This. Only thing I've enjoyed him in was 'Game of Thrones,' before they recast him. Other than that, seems like a mediocre actor.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

In short too pretty boy.
    i know here many disagree but to give the franchise a boost we need an Actor who can connect with the female audiences like yes Pierce did.

Pierce for better or worse was the Bond of the female audiences, if Brosnan brought something to franchise were lots of female fans and we need that back again.
    There are many woman who do like Daniel Craig but another big part prefer a pretty boy or more obviously handsome so a guy like Ed Skrin could work

Szonana wrote: »

In short too pretty boy.
    i know here many disagree but to give the franchise a boost we need an Actor who can connect with the female audiences like yes Pierce did.

Pierce for better or worse was the Bond of the female audiences, if Brosnan brought something to franchise were lots of female fans and we need that back again.
    There are many woman who do like Daniel Craig but another big part prefer a pretty boy or more obviously handsome so a guy like Ed Skrin could work

I think he meant of the wooden variety...

edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Tuulia wrote: »

In short too pretty boy.

Yes, thanks @Tuulia, that was my point. Not a very expressive actor, facially or vocally as far as I can tell, & in that respect similar to the others I mentioned. I personally also think he'd probably be better in a villain/henchman role, but that's a different story.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I've always been partial to tall northern European Blondes. ;)

So have I Mrs Coggins on the other hand would rather that I wasn't

<:-P
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Tuulia wrote: »

In short too pretty boy.

Yes, thanks @Tuulia, that was my point. Not a very expressive actor, facially or vocally as far as I can tell, & in that respect similar to the others I mentioned. I personally also think he'd probably be better in a villain/henchman role, but that's a different story.

Then i apologzie for jumping into that conclusion so fast.
    But yes wooden actor shouldn't be on a Bond flick, they don't have to be thespians but at least have a special something.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Turner - TV actor lacking screen presence and a vague resemblance to the comic strip 007.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Joe Cole - No. Too young. Good actor though.

Paapa Essiedu - No. He's black.

Jack Reynor - No comment as I know nothing about him.

Alexander Skarsgård - Is he british? If not no.

Chiwetel Ejiofor - No. He's black.

Jamie Dornan - Looks ok. Screen test, maybe. Ok in fifty shades.

Matthew McNulty - No comment as I know nothing about him.

David Ajala - No. He's black.

Cillian Murphy - Interesting suggestion. But may not have the look.

Ed Skrein - Is he british? If not no.

Danny Dyer - No. But looks more like 007 than Idris Elba.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Joe Cole - No. Too young. Good actor though.

Paapa Essiedu - No. He's black.

Jack Reynor - No comment as I know nothing about him.

Alexander Skarsgård - Is he british? If not no.

Chiwetel Ejiofor - No. He's black.

Jamie Dornan - Looks ok. Screen test, maybe. Ok in fifty shades.

Matthew McNulty - No comment as I know nothing about him.

David Ajala - No. He's black.

Cillian Murphy - Interesting suggestion. But may not have the look.

Ed Skrein - Is he british? If not no.

Danny Dyer - No. But looks more like 007 than Idris Elba.

I didn't like any of those suggestions. Ejiofor could make an interesting M in my opinion.
  • Risico007 wrote: »

Well, if it was allowed here to upload movies, I’d upload 3 seasons of “Being Human” (22 ep.), 6 episodes of “Desperate Romantics” and 8 ep. of “Poldark”, but that’s not possible and it would be easier to find these series, for example, on Netflix :) Until that I can suggest Turner’s pics as the vampire Mitchell (from “Being Human”) and Ross Poldark (from “Poldark”). Both of these shows are just superb for viewing: BH – the fine mix of drama, comedy, supernatural genre and Poldark – a historical drama about an impoverished nobleman who fights for the revival of the mining business in Cornwall. Watch them, you won’t be regretting!

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo9_r2_500.png

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo10_r2_400.jpg

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo7_r2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo8_r2_1280.jpg

And also some pictures))

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo4_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo5_r1_500.jpg

I hope my message isn't very big... OK, just one more for fun ;)

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo6_r2_500.gif
    suavejmf wrote: »

Turner - TV actor lacking screen presence and a vague resemblance to the comic strip 007.

That pretty much sums up Turner for me.

All of the pictures and GIFs that are posted as "evidence" that he's the most compelling candidate for the part just show me a guy that looks like he's trying too hard to portray that coolness and danger that it takes to be Bond. That's a problem that I think both he and Hiddleston have going against them, although it's not as big of a problem for Hiddleston.

Which is why Fassbender should be the next 007 because he just is cool he doesn't need to exert anything
  • dalton wrote: »

All of the pictures and GIFs that are posted as "evidence" that he's the most compelling candidate for the part just show me a guy that looks like he's trying too hard to portray that coolness and danger that it takes to be Bond. That's a problem that I think both he and Hiddleston have going against them, although it's not as big of a problem for Hiddleston.

Only the biggest fan of Bond would think that all actors play their roles solely with the purpose to show "coolness and danger" for their potential Bond role. Turner doesn't "try hard" to portray these qualities, he simply portrays them. Anyway I think that everyone should decide for himself what he likes and what not, according to his own experience. So if someone is really interested in Turner (not even as Bond, but as a young talented actor), just watch some of his shows and judge for yourself. And also he's not a hundred dollar bill, to please everyone, so if someone doesn't like him - it's okay!

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo3_r2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o96jhk4Mls1vwsesxo1_r1_1280.jpg
    That looks like an audition for Wolverine. I'm afraid these photos aren't helping him, and I will say the same for Hiddle's recent underpants spread.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Also with all that body hair, he'll go bald very quickly, so some of
    Connery's old Rugs might make a come back :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I personally don't see Turner as a potential OO7.
    Something too pretty boy about him. I could be wrong, but I'm not seeing that dark steely quality that Bond requires. That killer edge.
    dalton wrote: »

Only the biggest fan of Bond would think that all actors play their roles solely with the purpose to show "coolness and danger" for their potential Bond role. Turner doesn't "try hard" to portray these qualities, he simply portrays them. Anyway I think that everyone should decide for himself what he likes and what not, according to his own experience. So if someone is really interested in Turner (not even as Bond, but as a young talented actor), just watch some of his shows and judge for yourself. And also he's not a hundred dollar bill, to please everyone, so if someone doesn't like him - it's okay!

Of course not everything's an audition for Bond. Obviously, I never said that it was. If you look at those GIFs of him with the cigarette and in the tuxedo posted a page or two back, those simply have the look of a man trying too hard to be cool, rather than naturally displaying such a quality.

Actually, though, a part of me does hope that Turner gets the part. It'll free up a lot of free time and some extra spending money as I won't have to worry about wasting either of those on the Bond franchise for the coming decade or so.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 9,770
    I am just gonna leave this here and walk away come on even Turner fans have to agree Fassbender is the number 1 choice

d7613e3b9c27d8961aeace4ff25b5400.jpg
    Turner? Pretty boy?

Does that phrase still mean Sperry's and Gucci and Polo and white, clean-shaven men with slicked hair and rigid jaws?

Look it up and you wont find Turner.
  • dalton wrote: »
    dalton wrote: »

Of course not everything's an audition for Bond. Obviously, I never said that it was. If you look at those GIFs of him with the cigarette and in the tuxedo posted a page or two back, those simply have the look of a man trying too hard to be cool, rather than naturally displaying such a quality.

Actually, though, a part of me does hope that Turner gets the part. It'll free up a lot of free time and some extra spending money as I won't have to worry about wasting either of those on the Bond franchise for the coming decade or so.

OK, in those gifs Turner is in the role of Philip Lombard from Agatha Christy’s “Ten Little Niggers” and I’m afraid my knowledge of English is too poor to handle the discussion of this character, but if you are interested and show a little patience, I’ll try.

So, in the movie they make Lombard a bloody killer who killed 21 people with his own hands. That was a mistake, because in the novel Lombard didn’t kill people personally but left them in the desert without food and water, what makes him not a terrible murderer but a petty thief, greedy and sneaky. And he doesn’t even understand his crime, because those people were the natives of Africa, whom he did not consider to people. However at the same time Lombard is a womanizer, perhaps even a gigolo, who has success with women of a certain type (that’s why he was so gallant with Vera and careless with her at the end).

And Turner played that role excellently: he played a narcissistic, selfish, arrogant crook, who wants to appear more dangerous and important then he is in reality. It’s interesting to watch how these arrogance and self-confidence disappear when Lombard is alone, without the audience, and he begins to worry, but then again takes himself in hands trying to survive at any cost.

As you see, Lombard is not Bond, he’s Lombard, and why should Turner have played him like Bond?

Here is what I’m trying to say: you, people, are looking for ready Bond, instead of looking for a good versatile actor with nice appearance, who can bring something new in the role. In my opinion, Turner can do this (not only with Bond role but with any role he’ll play), someone else thinks otherwise… But we can’t decide anything, can we?

So, this was tough but good exercise in my English :bz