Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love the whole pts, but every time Blofeld opens his mouth, it is cringeworthy.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I love the whole pts, but every time Blofeld opens his mouth, it is cringeworthy.

Every time I watch it - I always think the priest is in on the plot. The way he stares at the helicopter and crosses himself is villainous - but I have no proof that he is duplicitous. The helicopter stunts are quite incredible. Just Blofeld...also dislike him in DAF and while he's iconic in YOLT he's also weedy. Over time I've warmed to Telly savalas in OHMSS - his line 'I mean what I say and I'll do what I claim' is delivered brilliantly. I really love him faceless in FRWL and TB with that voice. Excellent work.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Thunderfinger, have you watched this? My edit and rescore of the PTS. :)
    That s excellent work. Where were you in 1981?
    That s excellent work. Where were you in 1981?
    Thank you. And I can't answer your question as I don't even know. =))
    Glad you pulled yourself together.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    @Murdock, that was.... phenomenal. I have no words...

The only change I would've made was muting the sound when Blofeld begs Bond to save him, and cut all the jokes like "Alright, keep your hair on" out. Blofeld doesn't have to speak, either as he thumps his hands on the windows... Display that as an aggression, I say.

Otherwise, perfect!
    @ClarkDevlin thanks. :) I was considering muting it but I figured I keep it. I didn't mind that so much over the Stainless Steel delicatessen line but I may redo it in the future. I had a lot of fun rescoring it and adding flashbacks to OHMSS.
    @Murdock, it was overtly brilliant. I loved how you used the death of Corrine tune in the midst and you gave the whole sequence a haunting and demonic near-death atmosphere. I was blown away as if I was watching a different movie, to be honest. Well done!
    @ClarkDevlin, I'm glad you liked it, That was one of my favorite parts as well. It's amazing what different music can do to a scene. I was happy to use an unused Barry cue from Thunderball as well. I've been enjoying doing these rescores lately. I've done plenty more if your interested. :)
    @Murdock, please lead the way, sir! :D
    I agree with others that it's a tough choice--I say very tough--but I'd go with FYEO, partly because it and the Bond mystique really made an impression on me as a young man when I first saw it in the theater when it came out. Also because of its "return to a harder-edged" Bond film style. The chase on skis and on the bobsled track remains a favorite, as well as Bond teaming up with Columbo (hence my user name). Yes, I think both films are somewhat dated (YOLT moreso), and while the music for FYEO has something of a disco flavor, I still like it, especially Runaway, the track that plays during the ski chase, and Cortina, when Bond first arrives there amid the mountain scenery. The first time I saw Bond's "fall" while mountain climbing, that really got me. I don't think FYEO is anywhere near perfect, and is even weak in a few areas, but for me it "works" overall and is probably a sentimental favorite.

On the other hand, YOLT has an excellent, strong story and many memorable moments. One favorite of mine is Bond's meeting with Henderson. And it reminds me, maybe I should have oysters tomorrow.
  • I love the whole pts, but every time Blofeld opens his mouth, it is cringeworthy.

Every time I watch it - I always think the priest is in on the plot. The way he stares at the helicopter and crosses himself is villainous - but I have no proof that he is duplicitous. The helicopter stunts are quite incredible. Just Blofeld...also dislike him in DAF and while he's iconic in YOLT he's also weedy. Over time I've warmed to Telly savalas in OHMSS - his line 'I mean what I say and I'll do what I claim' is delivered brilliantly. I really love him faceless in FRWL and TB with that voice. Excellent work.

He is.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nah!, He's just in a hurry to get away to meet a choirboy. ;)
  • GBFGBF
    For me it is also FYEO. YOLT is also a good and very iconic Bond film, yet it is a mixed bag. The score is amazing, the SPECTRE volcano lair is definately the blue print of a villain's lair. It was also the first time we see Blofeld's face (I could have lived well without it) and the Little Nelly scene is of course great. But the film also drags quiet a bit, the majority of scenes in Japan are either boring or a bit over the top and most of the characters (Bond girls, side villains) are not really interesting. It is still my No. 14.

For your eyes only, has also some flaws, however I think it has a much better pacing, the stunt work is amazing, the film has some very suspensefull moment and a down to earth plot. I also like the locations very much. I really always like to watch the film again and again and even don't mind the Conti score that much. If they could have only changed the PTS, get rid of Bibi and made Kristatos a bit more charismatic, this could have easily be my favourite Bond film. It is still my No. 5.
    Looks like FYEO is taking it. Of course.
    There's no need to tally the scores on this match-up; FYEO seems to have run away with the victory! For some of the complaints I've seen over the years about FYEO's duller atmosphere in contrast to some other Roger Moore-era Bond adventures, evidently people would rather have a more grounded 007 than the heightened fantasy presented in YOLT. This was a very telling round!

Next match begins now:

Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough
    TWINE
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    TWINE is the winner for me as well.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    DAF. By quite some distance.
    DAF. By quite some distance.

For me as well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,466
    I have TWINE two rankings ahead of DAF, so TWINE for me.
    TWINE. Loathe Diamonds
    TWINE. Definitely TWINE.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2016 Posts: 6,784
    TWINE, no contest for me.

Another poster once said:

"Bond thinks he has found Tracy, but instead he has found Blofeld."

I truly like Brosnan, Marceau and Coltrane here. I enjoy TWINE to the full.

Only complaint is the less than believable Denise Richards. But then again Jill St. John and Lana Wood are maybe not as unbelievable, they are definitely ten times more annoying.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Both are lacking but at least I can have fun watching DAF.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Despite my growing affection for DAF, that bizarre little episode, nothing can defeat the TWINE!
    This is going the wrong way so far. What a stupid community!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Damn right!