Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Car crash.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Can I change my vote to LTK? :D

My rankings have changed drastically.
    TB > LTK for me. The villains in TB all really feel like classic Bond villains to me. While I love Robert Davi and Benicio Del Toro's performances in LTK I always feel like they are doing an exceptional job playing villains that belong in a Lethal Weapon, Steven Seagal, or Chuck Norris movie. If I may be frank, in LTK I always feel like I'm watching Bond villains that are closer to the less memorable villains from the novels like the gangster head whose name escapes me from the "Diamonds Are Forever" novel. Emilio Largo and Blofeld come right from the pages of TB and while Fiona Volpe isn't in the novel, her inclusion really makes the movie for me. Also, Thunderball has what I consider Connery's last really exceptional and in-shape performance as Bond and he was the first Bond I saw so I'm very biased. Thunderball for me. Also, I love the cinematography in Terence Young's films. One thing that comes to mind is his use of low camera angles. This had certainly been done by other directors prior (Orson Welles comes to mind) so I don't mean to imply Terence Young did it first. I just really love some of his shots--like the one of Sylvia Trench playing golf in Bond's hotel room in DN or of the barred bed frame in TB. Whether intentional or not, these shots give the women a sense of mystery for me that IMO makes them far more appealing than some whose bodies have been displayed to a greater extent on film. I can certainly understand why people may not care for TB, but I personally find the underwater footage mesmerizing and enjoy seeing all the marine life on display. Thunderball for me.
  • TB, easily.
  • LTK. By a fair bit.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    [quote="josiah;595513" Whether intentional or not, these shots give the women a sense of mystery for me that IMO makes them far more appealing than some whose bodies have been displayed to a greater extent on film. I can certainly understand why people may not care for TB, but I personally find the underwater footage mesmerizing and enjoy seeing all the marine life on display. Thunderball for me.[/quote]

Best underwater footage in TB is the shot of Largo and his men after they fed his shark.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Love both films But would have to pick LTK. :)
    LTK
    TB - the better movie, the Fleming story and Connery in his prime.
    [quote="josiah;595513" Whether intentional or not, these shots give the women a sense of mystery for me that IMO makes them far more appealing than some whose bodies have been displayed to a greater extent on film. I can certainly understand why people may not care for TB, but I personally find the underwater footage mesmerizing and enjoy seeing all the marine life on display. Thunderball for me.

Best underwater footage in TB is the shot of Largo and his men after they fed his shark.[/quote]

Ah yes and it's preceded by one of Largo's coldest moments when he nods to his men to throw the goon in and kisses his ring while the guy is screaming in the background.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Why are we still on this comparison after all these months? I thought TB took a sH!+ from a great height all over LTK months ago.
    I'm sorry for leaving this thread inactive for so long. The summer is here for this college student, though, so hopefully time will permit me to keep track of this again! Thank you @Birdleson for tallying up the score for me; according to your record, Thunderball got the best of License to Kill by a long shot! I was anticipating a closer margin, but, nevertheless, a surprise is nice, too!

Next round begins now:

You Only Live Twice vs. For Your Eyes Only
    FYEO
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    FYEO for me too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    FYEO by far.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    FYEO, without a doubt.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    FYEO, by a fair distance.
    FYEO
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    YOLT has grown on me, but I have to go with FYEO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,473
    YOLT barely takes the win here. I have it at 10 and FYEO at 11. The latter may fare better with a Barry soundtrack and the omission a few scenes. It's still one of my favorite Moore installments, though.
  • Coming from a Moore kid, YOLT wins. It maintains the Bond fantasy a lot better than FYEO, even if it's one of Connery's weaker entries.
  • Close. But FYEO it is. Despite all of its tonal inconsistencies, it just fares better. Feels like it is overall more thought out than YOLT.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    As much as GF is an archetype for the rest of the series, in a way YOLT was that too. I quite like the epic scope of YOLT. The film is a visual joy.

FYEO is rather forgettable to me. It's neither very bad nor is it very good.

YOLT for me.
    FYEO, no doubt about it.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Call me shallow but I think YOLT edges it because of the sheer spectacle as well as one of John Barry's best Bond scores.
    FYEO!!!!!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    For Your Eyes Only. By far. You Only Live Twice, as much as I love Blofeld's lair and scheme, has always been near bottom of my list.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    This is actually tougher than I thought - but I'll go for FYEO - both are patchy to me but I think the best parts of FYEO are great whereas the best parts of YOLT are good...I know that is vague and subjective as hell...but hey, that's why we're here. The death of Locque is one of my favourite roger scenes ever and what I like about FYEO is it gets off to a strong start - goofy PTS aside the next two scenes - Melina's parents death and the st george sinking are brutal and very well done - in fact I think this is one of john Glen's finest directing efforts. Take out the hockey fight, Bibi and Maggie thatcher - none of which really impact on the narrative and it's amongst Roger's best work. Of course Conti's score is rivalled only by serra's GE soundtrack for awfulness - but I actually really dig one track and that's 'Submarine' (similarly bond 77 disco style is catchy as hell in TSWLM)
    YOLT on the other hand has a wonderful Barry score - really hitting his straps on this film - this and OHMSS are two of my favourite 007 scores. Capsule in Space and Death if Aki along with the timeless title track. The only exception to my statement about YOLT not containing greatness is - along with Barry's score - the glorious high shot of Bond fighting along the rooftop - as if in '67 James Bond was so talismanic that even God had decided to take 60 seconds out of his day to watch the super spy at work. I like Tiger, the fight in Osato's office and the sets by Ken Adam - but Connery isn't up to much in this one - his boredom fairly evident. Helga Brandt is distractingly terrible - obviously a Fiona volpe clone and her plan for dealing with bond is industrial strength stupid. And the whole Japanese wedding slows everything down. So the things I love in YOLT are superficial things - sets, music, location, cinematography and the things that bother me are performances and perhaps critically - plot and pace. Whereas the reverse is true for FYEO.
    Well said.

These two films have the most goofy Blofelds.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well said.

These two films have the most goofy Blofelds.
    You don't like Delicatessen in Stainless Steel?