Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TWINE.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    This is going the wrong way so far. What a stupid community!
    Yeah, Hitler was a nice guy. Shame on those who demonize him. Shame on those! Those brats!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hitler would have voted TWINE.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I did ! ;)
    Naah, he would've preferred DAF. The diamond-laden satellite was his thing.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 45,489

Are you sure? Guess he wasn t so bad after all, then.

Satan would vote TWINE.

Are you sure? Guess he wasn t so bad after all, then.

Satan would vote TWINE.
    Oyyy! Well, his wife was murdered by the descendant of St. Georges in it so... I doubt that.
    Diamonds very comfortably.
    Just the terrible thought of Denise Richards dull monotone delivery.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,492
    vzok wrote: »

She doesn't kill the entirety of the movie for me like she does for some, but her acting/role certainly doesn't help, either; bad dialogue, bad delivery.

I'm all for a witty, sexual pun or quip, but around this time (TND, as well) was when they really made no effort to mask what they were hinting at.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »

She doesn't kill the entirety of the movie for me like she does for some, but her acting/role certainly doesn't help, either; bad dialogue, bad delivery.

I'm all for a witty, sexual pun or quip, but around this time (TND, as well) was when they really made no effort to mask what they were hinting at.

I remember Martin Campbell saying that 'of course they had to include the groaners' in Goldeneye. So they started out with the idea that these quips were intended to make you groan rather than laugh. no wonder so many of them were unfunny.

Yes the sexual quips were often woeful then. "Now that's a mouthful"
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Diamonds Are Forever by a long shot.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    While I no longer hold it in high regard, I have to go with TWINE.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    TWINE, certainly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TWINE, absolutely.

I could never stand DAF, even with Connery coming back. I loved OHMSS to such an extent that DAF felt like a slap in the face to that film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Satan would vote TWINE.
    You called? >:)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    DAF is weird but fun. TWINE is boring, apart from the Thames chase
    w2bond wrote: »
    And the Bilbao bank?
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    And the Bilbao bank?

Correction: DAF is weird but fun. TWINE is boring, apart from PTS :)

And the Bilbao bank?

Correction: DAF is weird but fun. TWINE is boring, apart from PTS :)
    Works alright, now. :D
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,130
    The world is not enough for me.

Elektra king is my all time favorite Bond girl and one of my Favorite Villains. Pierce gave his best and most Bondian Performance and his chemistry with Sophie was incredible they looked they were truly attracted to each other like of they weren't married they would have become a real life couple.

I loved the pre tittles sequence and the revelation of Elektra as a Villain.
  • TWINE, by a fair bit. Sure, you have Denise Richards and a bit of an anticlimax. But nothing in it as all as embarrassing as the diamond laser satellite sequence with all those awful effects.

There are some really great moments in TWINE like the boat chase and death of Elektra. DAF has the elevator fight, then.... not much else...
  • GBFGBF
    TWINE wins it definately.

TWINE is in my top10. I have always liked this film very much and cannot understand why so many people hate it. OK there is Denise Richards but overall the story is quiet interesting, there is a plot twist, the story is much more down to earth and I like the post Cold War atmospheare. All in all a very solid Bond adventure for me with interesting characters, some nice action scenes, a good score and a few new ideas (oil supply as a sub plot, female villain, M being kidnapped).

DAF however is a mixed bag for me. The first hour is really good. Especially the Amsterdam scenes and the first half of the Las Vegas scenes. But post moon buggy it all falls flat and goes into the wrong direction. Tiffany becomes more and more anoying, the space laser is an insult for big budget cinema (even in 1971), we are shown a cartoonish Blofeld and the climax on the oil rig is the worst and least suspensefull in the whole franchise. Not even the great score can save it. So DAF has gone down in my ranking and is meanwhile my No. 21.
    The world is not enough how is this a contest
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Jeez...this is tougher than I thought but I gotta go TWINE. DAF is ridiculous - kind of entertaining with Wint and Kidd and the initial intrigue of the murdered smuggling ring but once it hits America it slowly gets worse and the second half of the movie is actually quite unbearable. TWINE on the other hand is a tonal mess of a film but two great villain performances in Marceau and especially a nuanced Carlyle. If they didn't have Denise Richards it would obviously be a lot better (imagine rosamund like in that role instead of Richards!) and I think this could be my favourite Brosnan bond performance (not film - that would be GE by a long way).
    I may be in the minority, but I really don't see what the fuss is about Denise Richards. She's just as equal as the other Bond Girls from the 1970s and 1980s. Or the backlash of Madonna's cameo... Perhaps people see something I don't.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I may be in the minority, but I really don't see what the fuss is about Denise Richards. She's just as equal as the other Bond Girls from the 1970s and 1980s. Or the backlash of Madonna's cameo... Perhaps people see something I don't.

That's valid especially considering how vapid Jill St John becomes as DAF wears on. But I guess Denise Richards sticks out like a sore thumb because from Dalton onwards they had at least attempted to move toward casting capable actresses playing roles important to the plot line. And Richards seemed like a step backward - and to appeal to a demographic. I don't know if they'd cast a barbie doll kind of actress that often before - they usually went for exotic types. As for Madonna - well, she was the least of my problems in that film - but her character is weird. As a kind of conscience who has some past with bond - it doesn't resolve itself and I guess she's so iconic it's like casting Prince or something - she can't help but play herself. Anyway DAD lives in its own bubble for me. Far, far away.

That's valid especially considering how vapid Jill St John becomes as DAF wears on. But I guess Denise Richards sticks out like a sore thumb because from Dalton onwards they had at least attempted to move toward casting capable actresses playing roles important to the plot line. And Richards seemed like a step backward - and to appeal to a demographic. I don't know if they'd cast a barbie doll kind of actress that often before - they usually went for exotic types. As for Madonna - well, she was the least of my problems in that film - but her character is weird. As a kind of conscience who has some past with bond - it doesn't resolve itself and I guess she's so iconic it's like casting Prince or something - she can't help but play herself. Anyway DAD lives in its own bubble for me. Far, far away.
    I understand the acting wasn't on par with the other Bond Girls, but again the Dalton era Bond Girls weren't much different from the Moore era girls. Carey Lowell's act is very similar to Tanya Roberts (which explains, because she was screentested with A View To A Kill's script when LTK didn't have one ready, at the time), and I'd rather not mention Miriam D'Abo or the dreadful performance of Talisa Soto (despite being a beauty). Denise Richards isn't any different from these. As for Madonna, I don't find her weird as Verity. In fact, she didn't utter but a few lines that weren't important, didn't give a corny performance, just pedestrian like any other character (Raoul, for example, from an earlier act). Then again, I stopped looking deep into the logic of the Bond films a long time ago. Otherwise, I'd have issue with every film. I just enjoy them for what they are, especially when it comes to Die Another Day.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    DAF, which is plain 70s fun in one big, good-tasting potluck. Although, I never understood all the criticisms to Denise Richards in TWINE though.
    Although, I never understood all the criticisms to Denise Richards in TWINE though.
    Same here.
    Being distracted out of the film by Denise was a good thing for me.