Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »
    My wife is watching the BBC drama In the Club. Anybody knows anything about Luke Thompson? Thespian, played Shakespeare, RADA graduate of 2013, 6'2", brown hair, blue/green eyes... Haven't seen him in anything, but he caught my eyes and his c.v. is promising: https://www.rada.ac.uk/profiles?aos=acting&yr=2013&fn=luke&sn=thompson

Seems a bit young for someone to first have served in the navy before joining MI6 as a double oh. But he certainly looks the part! Could be in a couple of years, if his acting is good.
    My wife is watching the BBC drama In the Club. Anybody knows anything about Luke Thompson? Thespian, played Shakespeare, RADA graduate of 2013, 6'2", brown hair, blue/green eyes... Haven't seen him in anything, but he caught my eyes and his c.v. is promising: https://www.rada.ac.uk/profiles?aos=acting&yr=2013&fn=luke&sn=thompson

Seems a bit young for someone to first have served in the navy before joining MI6 as a double oh. But he certainly looks the part! Could be in a couple of years, if his acting is good.

I think the pictures dates back from when he graduated, but he is very young now. 27 I think. If the next Bond movie is in 3 years, he will be marginally older than Lazenby and a bit younger than Connery. I guess he could have been in the army in his early 20s, maybe even at 18 (when can you enroll in the UK?), giving him enough time to become a 00. The tricky thing now is that Bond movies being released every 3 years, you want an actor that can stay in the role for long, young enough to be an operative and yet experienced and skilled enough to take on such an iconic role.

I know too little about him to say with certainty he'll be great, but on paper at least he seems good: thespian, right appearance, etc.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well he does get great reviews, his management says ;-)
    http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/client/luke-thompson

and tbh, I do think he could pull it off, he's got a far more intense look then I've seen with any of the other 'nominees'. Still a bit young but that might be a good thing, it would make him completely different from Craig from the start.

luke-thompson-arrives-for-the-london-evening-standard-theatre-awards-picture-id450294105
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    God, no! Are you people never out of terrible ideas?
    God, no! Are you people never out of terrible ideas?

nope, we can always come up with new ones. So what's yours?

I forgot how attractive DC was in Tomb Raider.

Anyway, if the next Bond turns out to be Aiden Turner, that proves there is a god. :D
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I haven't visited this forum in ages) but from certain angles he reminds me of Timothy Dalton.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,631

Anyway, if the next Bond turns out to be Aiden Turner, that proves there is a god. :D
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I haven't visited this forum in ages) but from certain angles he reminds me of Timothy Dalton.

Believe me, it has. ;) :)) :)

As for my own opinion on Turner, he's one of the few supposed "candidates" (not that I think that there are any true contenders for the role at this point) that could turn me off of the franchise for a while. There are many, many other actors who could play the part and do a better job, IMO.

A cruel one...

No all jokes aside I'm not convinced about Turner.
    Well he does get great reviews, his management says ;-)
    http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/client/luke-thompson

and tbh, I do think he could pull it off, he's got a far more intense look then I've seen with any of the other 'nominees'. Still a bit young but that might be a good thing, it would make him completely different from Craig from the start.

luke-thompson-arrives-for-the-london-evening-standard-theatre-awards-picture-id450294105

I haven't seen him in anything, except bits of In the Club which my wife was watching, not enough to know if he can do it or not. He is a bit young and maybe too young. But in three or four years time, who knows. And he has already more acting experience than George Lazenby when he became Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    All these choices about the Bond actors are the boyish ones rather than the manly ones. Bond 25 won't be a Young Bond movie, is it?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Brosnan had Christmas Jones, now she even dressed like Laura Croft. ;)
    All too briefly... But, she wasn't the type to strap guns around her thighs and be convincingly sexy. ;)
    I don't know, I thought her pretty sexy. Can't act, but certainly sexy....

Did I mention i thought she was pretty sexy then?

might have done....

Yes she was sexy i admit it as a woman she looked very good in those shorts and i love that woman like Denise are promoted as hot since it avoids girls starving themselves to be sexy.

Yes I know Bond is not able being politically correct but i do love the idea that the producers think woman like Dennise and Monica are hot this helps woman not being obssesed about their weight.

and the best thing they didn't do it on porpouse or with the agenda of telling woman to not starve themselves they just got these two woman they found attractive and that meant not a very guy likes super Skinny girls.

I wished more woman saw your post.
    Another case with woman they think curvaceous bodies are sexy but not classy or that appealling so guys saying I really like woman like Denisee opens lot of eyes.

P.S sorry for getting so out of topic but i just found this very encouraging for woman to look fir truly healthy bodies with meat.
    I really like the idea of woman like her, Halley Berry, Monica Bellucci, Sofia Vergara and even the kardshians guys think are hot.

I don't like the kardshians or what they represent in General but i do like that their body types are attractive to many people if liking them promotes less anorexia and obssesion for being thin at least they've done something right with their ridiculous and stupid reality shows and their way biy way too over expos d life styles.

Denise Richards was absolutely terrible. One of the worst casting decisions in Bond movies ever, IMO. Completely ruined every scene she was in.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Denise Richards was absolutely terrible. One of the worst casting decisions in Bond movies ever, IMO. Completely ruined every scene she was in.

Performance wise i agree but looks wise not a bad choice and like I said it could make woman understand you don't have to be size 0 to be hot though i bet she wasn't chosen for that reason

@Tuulia she may not be able to act, but for boys (at that time) of my age ( I was 19 then) she was the hottest thing on legs. I really couldn't care about the acting.

@Szonana tbh I know not a single guy who'd go for the skinny type that's so abundant in fashion commercials these days. I love women, not planks. The sexiest model, imo, out there now is Iskra Lawrence. She's as distracting as Denise was back then, in all the good ways!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

@Szonana tbh I know not a single guy who'd go for the skinny type that's so abundant in fashion commercials these days. I love women, not planks. The sexiest model, imo, out there now is Iskra Lawrence. She's as distracting as Denise was back then, in all the good ways!

163.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All these choices about the Bond actors are the boyish ones rather than the manly ones. Bond 25 won't be a Young Bond movie, is it?
    The only Young Bond movies I ever want to see are the Terence Young Bond movies.

That is a potential issues with casting a younger actor. That and his inexperience as an actor. The opposite issue is that if you want the actor to play Bond for a few movies, you cannot cast him too old. With a two years gap, I thought the cast of a mid to late 30s actor would be ideal, not I tend to think early 30s would be better.
  • SasSas
    I still prefer Tom Hiddleston. He would make a fine James Bond.

bJIH9x5.jpg

JIIf8pV.jpg
    Szonana wrote: »

Performance wise i agree but looks wise not a bad choice and like I said it could make woman understand you don't have to be size 0 to be hot though i bet she wasn't chosen for that reason
    @Tuulia she may not be able to act, but for boys (at that time) of my age ( I was 19 then) she was the hottest thing on legs. I really couldn't care about the acting.

Well, it's an acting job... I think acting jobs should be given to people who can act and who fit the part, not people who are so atrocious at acting that they take you out of the movie and are embarrassing to watch. It's not like looks and acting skills are mutually exclusive somehow. Even if not the greatest actresses, not many women in Bond movies have been truly awful, but she was.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm with you @Tuulia. She was excellent (and quite fetching) in Wild Things, which is the sort of film & performance that she excels in. TWINE was a rather poor film on its own without her, but she didn't do it any favours either. Nuclear physicist my a$$.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 7,973
    haha I fully agree, just wanted to get the setting right. Nowdays I want them to be able to act for sure. As a 19y/o I had different, erm, preoccupations.
    The only Young Bond movies I ever want to see are the Terence Young Bond movies.
    You mean Young Terence Young films? That's going to be hard to accomplish...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

That is a potential issues with casting a younger actor. That and his inexperience as an actor. The opposite issue is that if you want the actor to play Bond for a few movies, you cannot cast him too old. With a two years gap, I thought the cast of a mid to late 30s actor would be ideal, not I tend to think early 30s would be better.
    With the ideal search done and not going for the names that appear on the mainstream list, they could find an actor who looks the part as a man and not as a boy. Rugged, intimidating, powerful. An unknown would be filling in the role (very much like Sean Connery) if people don't want the mid-aged actors making debuts in the role.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Peter-Quinn.jpg
    homeland-168.jpg
    5010203.jpg?w=1200
    Excellent post @dominicgreene . :)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Luke Thompson looks like random actor bloke suggested as next Bond. Get in there, my son! If Babs fancies you, you gotta chance, Luke!

\:D/

"We're no strangers to Bond. He knows the 00 rules and so do !"
    \:D/
    My choice would be Dan Stevens
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 676
    Of the names I've seen tossed around, I like Aidan Turner best. When I just saw photos, I thought he looked a bit slight and a bit too pretty. But when I watched And Then There Were None, the thing that impressed me about his performance was his stillness. Craig is also a very still actor - his movements are all economical and meaningful. I like a still Bond. Makes him look calm, unshakeable, in control. Unlike say Brosnan, who was often over-animated. I also find that Turner's heavy, turned-down eyebrows lend his face some weight.

93497.jpg

As for others like Hiddleston and Fassbender - I find the former too light, too soft in his presence and voice, and Fassbender bores me. He looks like a soccer player and has been a shoo-in for Bond since Inglourious Basterds in 2009. I'm sure he would be just interesting as Christoph Waltz was (i.e. not at all).

Of course, Aidan Turner's not the most exciting choice either. Really, I hope when they recast that they are daring and pick another dark horse like Craig.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Szonana wrote: »

Well, it's an acting job... I think acting jobs should be given to people who can act and who fit the part, not people who are so atrocious at acting that they take you out of the movie and are embarrassing to watch. It's not like looks and acting skills are mutually exclusive somehow. Even if not the greatest actresses, not many women in Bond movies have been truly awful, but she was.

I know i know but on her defence it was the 90s in those days action wasn't taken seriously. It was the equivalent to what rom coms were for woman. Including Bond.

Its great now the action genre has evolved and found a way to survive the 9/11. Ro coms didn't know to make the transition and slowly died now they are trying to resirrect that genre with Mothers day and The intern by not focuding that much on the romantic fairytale relationship and make woman care for more than a boyfriend.

Bond in the 90s were like fairytales for them but like I said with Bond included the genre evolved.

So as much as i loved Pierce and Connery with their male fairytales Bond flicks I understand the franchise had to change and renew themselves to survive otherwise they would have died. I can be baissec often but i have my objective moments where i see the light and see that Bond can be the way he was in the 90s.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I went to a few parties this weekend and this was a topic. The consensus was always Hiddleston.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Milovy wrote: »
    I also find that Turner's heavy, turned-down eyebrows lend his face some weight.

93497.jpg

As for others like Hiddleston and Fassbender - I find the former too light, too soft in his presence and voice, and Fassbender bores me. He looks like a soccer player and has been a shoo-in for Bond since Inglourious Basterds in 2009. I'm sure he would be just interesting as Christoph Waltz was (i.e. not at all).

Of course, Aidan Turner's not the most exciting choice either. Really, I hope when they recast that they are daring and pick another dark horse like Craig.

Yeah, interesting comment about Turner's eyesbrows. Turner has the low set arched brows that add a bit of intensity to his look. A bit Dalton-ish in the eyes dept. I don't think he is an intense person though. Seen some Youtube videos of him and he seems very casual chilled out sort of guy in real life. I think he'd come over as relaxed in interviews promoting Bond. Playing Bond is one half of the role. The other half is promoting it!

Turner's English accent is immaculate. I saw him in And Then There Were None and assumed he was English. Never realized he was Irish.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hiddleston is my choice but his comments lately have been discouraging.