Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Yep! Just as Clive Owen and Hugh Jackman were the "only" candidates back then, until Daniel Craig came aboard out of nowhere. ;)

There's a difference between what the general public thinks would make a good Bond candidate and what people in the known thinks. The general public often has a rather shallow view on casting.

Ah yes without a doubt. Hence, Idris Elba for no other reason than that he's played a cool detective and he's black (so PC casting).
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yep! Just as Clive Owen and Hugh Jackman were the "only" candidates back then, until Daniel Craig came aboard out of nowhere. ;)

There's a difference between what the general public thinks would make a good Bond candidate and what people in the known thinks. The general public often has a rather shallow view on casting.

Ah yes without a doubt. Hence, Idris Elba for no other reason than that he's played a cool detective and he's black (so PC casting). Which ironically is a 'shallow' suggestion!

He also happens to be an excellent actor. Irrespective of his skin colour and age he has more than enough acting talent to pull the role off.

Yes he is a good actor.But he can't pull the role of a white (WASP) character off can he? So he is a pointless suggestion.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

I wish I had forgotten him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who next? Miles Teller?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just want them to go ahead and cast a new actor so I can be spared so many bad recommendations for the role. The less I see of these articles suggesting the likes of Rosamund Pike or David Oyelowo as the next Bond, the better.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2016 Posts: 11,139

Ah yes without a doubt. Hence, Idris Elba for no other reason than that he's played a cool detective and he's black (so PC casting).

Ah yes without a doubt. Hence, Idris Elba for no other reason than that he's played a cool detective and he's black (so PC casting). Which ironically is a 'shallow' suggestion!

He also happens to be an excellent actor. Irrespective of his skin colour and age he has more than enough acting talent to pull the role off.

Yes he is a good actor.But he can't pull the role of a white (WASP) character off can he? So he is a pointless suggestion.

I was correcting you and righyfully so. You said Elba was being mentioned only because of Luther and the fact that he's black. I stated, well, you can obviously read what I wrote; that those were not the only 2 reasons why.
    As for being a pointless suggestion, given his age yes, it kind of is but you're making this and have been doing so about skin colour which as far as being a pointless suggestion is debatable. Read the title of the thread. Who should/could be a Bond actor? If Elba was younger he definitely could. Any attractive capable actor of any colour could be Bond. Now, SHOULD they be Bond is another matter entirely.

Put any good looking actor in a tuxedo and he is going to be suggested for Bond.

Or a singer.
    Robbie Williams. :))

Oh I remember the rumours about him. My sister-in-law used to tell me he'd make a great Bond.

He's an excellent actor (I loved him in The Wire), but he was very arrogant regarding the whole thing.

Indeed he was, which suggests to me he doesn't really care for the role but more the publicity he was getting from it. As a black man, something Bond hasn't been interpreted as, to have people and the media champion the idea and possibility of him being Bond is a huge compliment and must be a massive ego boost for him; and he took it, ran with it and exploited it to his benefit. When Sony execs are championing the idea too then his arrogance, which may not be appreciated but is at least understandable. This wasn't a role he was campaigning for, people and the media chucked his name into the hat and he rolled with it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Of all the names mentioned, other than Theo James, Elba would be the one most similar to Connery.

I was correcting you and righyfully so. You said Elba was being mentioned only because of Luther and the fact that he's black. I stated, well, you can obviously read what I wrote; that those were not the only 2 reasons why.
    As for being a pointless suggestion, given his age yes, it kind of is but you're making this and have been doing so about skin colour which as far as being a pointless suggestion is debatable. Read the title of the thread. Who should/could be a Bond actor? If Elba was younger he definitely could. Any attractive capable actor of any colour could be Bond. Now, SHOULD they be Bond is another matter entirely.

I've read the title of the thread...... He couldn't / shouldn't be a Bond actor because....Bond is a white character. Hence, pointless suggestion.
    Of all the names mentioned, other than Theo James, Elba would be the one most similar to Connery.

More like Dr Kananga.

As for being a pointless suggestion, given his age yes, it kind of is but you're making this and have been doing so about skin colour which as far as being a pointless suggestion is debatable.

As for being a pointless suggestion, given his age yes, it kind of is but you're making this and have been doing so about skin colour which as far as being a pointless suggestion is debatable.

I've read the title of the thread...... He couldn't / shouldn't be a Bond actor because....Bond is a white character. Hence, pointless suggestion.

Rubbish. You may have read the title of of the thread but you sure as hell dont comprehend it. Bond being a white character doesn't mean anything other than clinging on to what people are used to. James Bond doesn't have to be played by a white man because his skin colour doesn't define who he is. So no, it's not pointless. King Henry VI, a real life person was a white man and was played brilliantly and recieved critical acclaim by David Oyelowo.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Rubbish. You may have read the title of of the thread but you sure as hell dont comprehend it. Bond being a white character doesn't mean anything other than clinging on to what people are used to. James Bond doesn't have to be played by a white man because his skin colour doesn't define who he is. So no, it's not pointless. King Henry VI, a real life person was a white man and was played brilliantly and recieved critical acclaim by David Oyelowo.

Bond is Scottish and Swiss and white. It defines the character. Shaft is black. Can Craig play Shaft. Or and Asian guy play Bond?

Learn the character.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Bond is Scottish and Swiss and white. It defines the character. Shaft is black. Can Craig play Shaft. Or and Asian guy play Bond?

Learn the character.

Post of the day right here! :-bd

Learn the character.

What a stupid post. Bond being Scottish and Swiss defines the character?? How exactly?? Give me 3 examples of this being true. I know the character very well, clearly more than you do it seems. You're evidently not even trying to pretend to think about this intellectually. Bond is and has been white; yes but the fact is, he doesn't have to be and him being interpreted with having darker skin is something you clearly can't approach to seeing let alone getting passed it.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,756
    At the end of the day, Bond is more of an "idea" than a character. A british actor with any tone can portray the qualities needed for this idea, and can make it work, I don't see the problem.
    mcdornbb wrote: »

Learn the character.

What a stupid post. Bond being Scottish and Swiss defines the character?? Give me 3 examples of this being true. I know the character very well, clearly more than you do it seems.

Really? You didn't seem to know Bond is Scottish, Swiss, and white. Bond is white. Seriously doubt Fleming ever envisioned Bond as Black...

Fleming's Bond is white. Get over it.
    At the end of the day, Bond is more of an "idea" than a character. A british actor with any tone can portray the qualities needed for this idea, and can make it work, I don't see the problem.

Soundly stated and succinctly put.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Anyway to each his own. By that logic Bond can be a woman too.

Someone mentioned Taylor Swift as a Bond girl ..silly, but yahoo did have a headline of Hiddleston and Swift caught getting it on on a beach.

Go Hiddy!!

Learn the character.

What a stupid post. Bond being Scottish and Swiss defines the character?? Give me 3 examples of this being true. I know the character very well, clearly more than you do it seems.

Really? You didn't seem to know Bond is Scottish, Swiss, and white. Bond is white. Seriously doubt Fleming ever envisioned Bond as Black...

What Fleming envinsioned is of no consequence. Just watch the movies to see that is the case. Again with your absurdity; so because I said Bond doesn't have to be a white character I don't know Fleming created him as half Swiss, half Scottish and white? Riiiiight...And I should get over what exactly? This alleged "impossibility" that Bond could be something other than white because of what Fleming wrote? Please don't make me laugh. EoN exercised their habitual fast and loose departure from Fleming decades ago; and I'm still waiting for those 3 examples where Bond being Scottish and Swiss defines who he is as a character.

XujHL.gif?noredirect
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Idris would make a great Bond; for me, the only thing holding him back from that role is his age. And of course EON may have other preferred actors we have not even heard of yet. But he is too old for the role.

Turner I thought had possibilities because I liked him in the little bit I've seen him in. But now I'm just sick of having him shoved in our faces near continually by Mendes. Hiddleston I have disliked from the beginning. So not many great choices being floated.

More than anything, I'm not worried because this is all so very premature. Daniel Craig is Bond. And I fervently hope he is our Bond for one more film. After that, I also hope it is an actor not yet discussed. So those are the 2 things I want: Craig to stay and the next Bond not even somebody mentioned yet.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @Murdock one of the best episodes ever and a real favourite of mine .
    @Mrcoggins, it's one of my favorites as well. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I've never watched The Simpsons, actually. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited June 2016 Posts: 7,988

What Fleming envinsioned is of no consequence. Just watch the movies to see that is the case. Again with your absurdity; so because I said Bond doesn't have to be a white character I don't know Fleming created him as half Swiss, half Scottish and white? Riiiiight...And I should get over what exactly? This alleged "impossibility" that Bond could be something other than white because of what Fleming wrote? Please don't make me laugh. EoN exercised their habitual fast and loose departure from Fleming decades ago; and I'm still waiting for those 3 examples where Bond being Scottish and Swiss defines who he is as a character.

Here I don't agree. The filmic version of Bond has never been too far away from what Fleming envisioned. The films themselves have widened the path for sure, and Bond has been more glamourous then the book version, but as a character he's largely remained the same, and his past/ background has played it's role, especially in the last film. Now it would've been odd for a Daniel Craig - aged Bond to have a darker tone in skin. In 50 years time it would work, as there are now enough darker-skinned people especially in Switserland (not too sure about Scotland but I take it it's more diverse now then, say, 40 years ago).

So for now I'd prefer him to be closer to the dark-haired, blue eyed white man he's supposed to be. Remember the 'outrage' for the current 'blonde Bond'? This is taking it a couple of steps further.

Oh and on those characteristics:
    Bond is stubborn (supposedly a Scottish trait) but always loyal to his cause (Swiss trait). And he speaks his languages (Swiss). He's a bit raugh (Scottish) but can be refined as well (Swiss).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    A black Bond won't be a consistent box office guarantee (especially globally) and risks becoming more of a niche endeavour. That is a primary risk, and one that the studios likely won't want. The rest of the world is not as open minded (yet) as US/UK.

Both sides are right on this ongoing and never ending discussion to a degree. Bond is white, and has been described as such in the books. It certainly does not define his character, but he is a person that we have known for over 50 years as white, and that is how I'd like him to remain. I'd also like him to be 6ft 2 or thereabouts and preferably have dark hair, which is why, great as Craig has been, I'm open for us to move on and back to that template, and not further away from it. I also want him to be more of the man's man he was in the past and less of the wuss he became in the 90's. Enough with the PC BS.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,631
    I would have to wonder how much of a factor the whole Scottish/Swiss thing is in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the Bond character as written by Fleming. That particular background was, if my memory serves correctly (it's been a while since I've been through the novels), only created after Sean Connery and Dr. No proved to be successful. At some point during the process of casting Bond, he was very keen on the idea of David Niven portraying Bond.

Here I don't agree. The filmic version of Bond has never been too far away from what Fleming envisioned. The films themselves have widened the path for sure, and Bond has been more glamourous then the book version, but as a character he's largely remained the same,

How far away is too far away? Connery in DAF, most if not all of Moore's contribution and Brosnan, from characterisation perspectives were pretty far removed from what Fleming wrote. However, most people don't care simply because they find joy and entertainment from what they're watching. Dalton who is arguably the closest to how Fleming wrote Bond is embarrassingly underrated and ironically enough, it was because he was too Flemingesque that he didn't resonate well with audiences at large. Cinematic Bond really isn't literary Bond at all, despite what the opening texts read duringvthe opening of the TS.
    and his past/ background has played it's role, especially in the last film. Now it would've been odd for a Daniel Craig - aged Bond to have a darker tone in skin.

Bond's past being brought up barely touches on his geographical heritage. There are many mixed race and people of colour born and raised in tge UK, Ireland and mainland Europe who are in their 60s, some in their 70s that I personally know who have lived upper middle class lives.
    In 50 years time it would work, as there are now enough darker-skinned people especially in Switserland (not too sure about Scotland but I take it it's more diverse now then, say, 40 years ago).

It's already been happening, as stated above but in 50 years time, hopefully more people won't be so ignorant to its existence.
    So for now I'd prefer him to be closer to the dark-haired, blue eyed white man he's supposed to be. Remember the 'outrage' for the current 'blonde Bond'? This is taking it a couple of steps further.

That's fair enough. However, whereas Craig's casting caused outrage; many of those same people and media outlets are the same ones who are all too happy to champion the likes of Elba as Bond. It's bizarre.
    Oh and on those characteristics:
    Bond is stubborn (supposedly a Scottish trait) but always loyal to his cause (Swiss trait). And he speaks his languages (Swiss). He's a bit raugh (Scottish) but can be refined as well (Swiss).

Those aren't specific national/racial defining traits though. They can be assigned to anyone of any skin colour and group of peoples.

edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116

Learn the character.

Keep waiting. We won't agree. Not quite sure by what you or anybody means by what defines a character. Not even sure if I even know what defines me. We are complex social biological psychological beings.

Don't worry I'm not diverting your question. If you want your Bond to be black go for it. Fleming didn't and that's fine. Neither has EoN to date yet but despite their creation of the cinematic Bond EoN still references Fleming. Inconsistently of course.

I think today for me the idea of Bond will be a Chinese woman. I'm feeling feminine so I'm going to Target lock myself in the ladies room and hash out my spec script for The Property of a Lady.

dalton wrote: »
    I would have to wonder how much of a factor the whole Scottish/Swiss thing is in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the Bond character as written by Fleming.

It's not much of a factor at all other than to provide historical context to Bond's background. Instead of being any standard through and through English guy; he's half Swiss, half Scottish, born in Germany, grew up in England and Scotland.