No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm first and foremost a Bond fan and a DC fan second. As long as EON picks a decent actor for this very important job, I'll be fine with it. The show will go on from strength to strength and I very much look forward to the next one because it will be a truly formidable Bond film and most probably a top 10 for me (based on evidence of other Bond actor's first efforts).
    I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I'll add that I'm ready for Craig to walk away now. I'm very appreciative for everything he's given to us, but I think it's time to move in a new direction. I know, be careful what you wish for, it's true. However, I have faith that Barbara will pick the right person for the job, just as she did last time. The show will go on and (like you said) as long as it's a quality actor, I think we'll be just fine.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117
    I think everyone can agree that Craig has had two good outings, except we can't agree on which two. ;)

I have always thought that Craig was very much following in the footsteps of Lazenby, and had more success due to being a better actor and a better presence (although Lazenby didn't lack in that department).

Each Bond actors biggest strength is also their biggest flaw. With Craig, this is the emotional vulnerability and personal stakes. It worked somewhat well at points during his tenure, however I think that after a decade we are ready for a change (just like after Moore we wanted less laughter). So what we need to do now is think about how a new Bond could work similar to how he was reinvented back in 2006. Hmm, let's give that some thought...

Well, I think that Bond has to "play his cards close to his chest" with the next actor. I'm reminded of very early Connery in this regard. Remember during Dr No when Sean comforts Honey, saying "don't worry, I'm scared too." Yet you would never know it from his face. He kept his emotions hidden, not because he was superhero Bond (like Moore) but because he was trained well how to handle situations.

This new idea of Bond, the one I am proposing, has a laser like focus on his mission, and he doesn't allow his emotions to get in the way. Instead he bottles them, and releases the inner tension with the odd acerbic quip, something Dalton had a talent for. This way, it would be both classic and modern. Grouded and slightly fanciful. The best of both worlds. It would take the stuff that worked about the Craig era and reframe it a slicker, more together template.

Aidan Turner, I think, is the best option for this new Bond. Not only does he have the look nailed down, but he provides a new direction with his natural presence. I agree that Aidan Turner is not as good of an actor as Daniel Craig, but when you hire talent you have the added imposition of finding ways to showcase it. That's why Judi Dench became such a large focus throughout her tenure. Point being, the talent can become a distraction. Bond as a role isn't that involved. As long as a Bond actor has it where it counts, that's all that matters. Lazenby is a perfect example of this. Sure he comes off wooden at times, especially with the humour. But when he sits down at that ice rink and pulls his coat up you can see the desperation, the panic under the surface. And that ending is beautifully played by Lazenby, I can't imagine Connery doing a better job. Turner, too, has it where it counts, and I just feel like he is a great visual transformation and an creative response to the stocky, fair haired Craig Bond.

Have you ever thought that if you wrote posts like that more often you might not be a laughing stock?

Obviously you can't write a post without mentioning Turner but at least you try and do it more intelligently than usual (hey it's a long road to recovery but these are encouraging first steps. Now you just need to be able to admit to yourself 'My name is @Mendes and I'm a Turnerholic').

Annoyingly I find myself having to agree with you 100% on Laz.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 5,745
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Another day, another rumour.

James Norton on those James Bond rumours

I was charmed by him. I'd be surprised if they went with someone who is so reminiscent of Craig, though.

Also, I can't imagine the pressure of being asked about yourself in a Bond rumor. You know your response will be critiqued and just may get or cost you the job if it's serious!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Another day, another rumour.

James Norton on those James Bond rumours

I was charmed by him. I'd be surprised if they went with someone who is so reminiscent of Craig, though.

Also, I can't imagine the pressure of being asked about yourself in a Bond rumor. You know your response will be critiqued and just may get or cost you the job if it's serious!

You think Norton is reminiscent of Craig? I could imagine having a picnic with Norton, but I can't with Craig or his Bond. Especially not his Bond.

I now wonder what Dan's preferred sandwich would be. ;)
    Marmite :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Eva Green & Lea Seydoux ! ;)

Guess, that's what the doctor will prescripe for instant healing of any malice. :-B
    Hey, I can dream ! :(
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Good to see other types of frustration on this forum.

=P~
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694

I wouldn't mind being the lunch meat between those two slices of bread. Talk about a delicious feast...
    In my innocence, I merely mentioned his first and latest leading ladies. ;)

Yes, absolutely. If I'm honest, given the choice I would select Eva and Bérénice as the sexy slices in this hypothetical sandwich, but if such a miracle as what you supposed was to happen, I wouldn't choose that moment to start being picky. Though I must confess that dear Lea would be wholly ignored by me if Eva was there beside her. You understand, of course.

Yes, absolutely. If I'm honest, given the choice I would select Eva and Bérénice as the sexy slices in this hypothetical sandwich, but if such a miracle as what you supposed was to happen, I wouldn't choose that moment to start being picky. Though I must confess that dear Lea would be wholly ignored by me if Eva was there beside her. You understand, of course.

I'm going for a club sandwich as that has an extra slice of bread!!

Eva, Olga and Lea (sorry Berenice) with a meaty Wizard filling. Finger licking good.
    I am liking these recipes guys, although with out you obviously. Could be the
    Start of a whole new set of cooking ideas. :))
  • In my innocence, I merely mentioned his first and latest leading ladies. ;)

Eva, Olga and Lea (sorry Berenice) with a meaty Wizard filling. Finger licking good.

I'll have one of those as well. Eva on the side, add in Berenice and Gemma. And, uh, no Wizard in mine.

Any takers for the classic Judi Dench?
    There is nothing like a Dame ! :)
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    Are you speaking from experience @Thunderpussy ;)

Guys, you may be interested to know that Eva and Léa were almost in a film together, "Farewell, My Queen". Eva could have been Marie Antoinette but Diane Kruger replaced her. So Diane ended up kissing Léa instead... it was very chaste.

But there here is an interesting tidbit about her take on the possible new Bond.

Lea Seydoux Likes Feminist Films, But Doesn't Want a Female James Bond

So does Seydoux, whose next project is September's It's Only the End of the World (she has no new information about rumors that she'll appear in Marvel's Gambit alongside Channing Tatum), agree with fans who hope the next James Bond will be played by a woman now that Daniel Craig is vacating the post?

"No, I don't think so," she says adamantly. "No. James Bond has to be a man. But you have now in Bond films very strong female characters, so it's not a war there."
    Eva and Léa in a kissing scene? What rat bas@#$% is responsible for stopping that from happening, and, what's his home address?
    I'm sorry I'm trying to say something Bond but all I have in my head are sandwiches.
    Only announcement i would see is about which studio EON are going to partner with?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm trying to say something Bond but all I have in my head are sandwiches.
    I think Ross Geller would share the exact sentiment! :))
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Rename this thread to "Bond girl sandwiches on the menu" just to be sure no one is confused.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117

I'll have one of those as well. Eva on the side, add in Berenice and Gemma. And, uh, no Wizard in mine.

Any takers for the classic Judi Dench?

It's an acquired taste I'll grant you. But certainly a delicacy.

Is there an all you can eat Bond girls buffet I can go to?
    Eva and Léa in a kissing scene? What rat bas@#$% is responsible for stopping that from happening, and, what's his home address?

I think we should be grateful to the bloke. I for one would have had to have had a wrist ligament transplant by now if it had gone ahead as planned.
    Without any real news, we're getting restless and very naughty ! [-X
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    @ClarkDevlin lol ...and lol @PropertyOfALady.

• leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    edited June 2016 Posts: 574
    This kiss was not as exciting as it sounds, really! Chaste is the word. Sorry to disappoint! However it is a great film if you like French costume drama.
    Given the highly imaginative minds at MI6, I think that kiss, may have achieved
    A life of it's own ! :D
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Without any real news, we're getting restless and very naughty ! [-X

EON wants it this way.
    "Bond, this isn't lack of news, This was years in the planning.". ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I think Ross Geller would share the exact sentiment! :))

:))