And On That Bombshell The Grand Tour is with us what do you think ?.

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    So that's it then the new ? Series of I can't believe it's not Top Gear
    Starts on Sunday the 29th of May 8pm BBC Two ".
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    So that's it then the new ? Series of I can't believe it's not Top Gear
    Starts on Sunday the 29th of May 8pm BBC Two ".

That's why i won't bother with it. I will be interested to learn how many viewers it does get though?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    First episode is bound to get good viewing figures.
  • Look at it this way, we'll still be able to see the three stooges doing what they do best ,Top Gear gets relaunched and we get two potentially awesome car shows where there only used to be one.

Besides the worst thing that can happen with the new top gear is that it's something to plug the gap between now and when The Grand Tour launches.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    The American Top Gear is showing again. Different than the original but now less of an ersatz spin off and more coming into its own. I enjoy both.

I never understood why the American version is on The History Channel and not Verocity?

Interested in the new BBC reboot BUT not near as much as what the original guys are coming up with.
    Today, I'm watching a day of Top Gear specials on Dave. ;)
    Today, I'm watching a day of Top Gear specials on Dave. ;)

Yea BBC America has rebroadcasting a lot of the '10 through '12 series lately it seems. I've been recording them.
    Just a reminder that the new BBC Top Gear starts this Sunday
    at 8pm on bbc2.
    Okay, I just saw the episode (on Filmon, with a few freezes), and...

Too bad the crowning moment of funny happened right at the beginning (Sabine's driving making a Top Gun pilot puke ? Hilarious ! You go, girl !). But the rest wasn't too bad, I think. More on that later.
    I found Matt leblanc to be very boring, he speaks in a monotone not impressed with this
    as an opening episode, I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it improves :(
    Matt Leblanc has an awefull voice, Chris has an awefull voice and the show lacked the general laddishness that really made me enjoy TG.

So when is that Amazon show getting a release, I cannot wait for the real top Gear to come back.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well I gave it a chance.

It's only now you truly realise how effortless the other three made it look.

I dare say the old shows were scripted but Clarkson, Hammond and May always made it feel like they were just chatting as they were driving along whereas this felt like Chris and Matt were reading autocues for the entire duration.

There was a quote from Matt the other day saying that they wouldn't be doing impressions of Clarkson but that's precisely what they did and I guess I finally understand how people in the 60s who thought Sean was god felt when George turned up.

I was expecting much more of a revamp but it was literally just the same stuff but with less engaging presenters.

Not quite the total car crash we were predicting but distinctly on the mediocre side of meh.

And we're yet to have all the other PC box ticking presenters foisted on us so I don't hold out a lot of enthusiasm. Think I'll still watch Dave ahead of this.

I'll probably dip in and out of the rest of the series as a methodone shot until I can get my hands on some pure heroin from Amazon.

Can't say I was disappointed as I had zero expectations which I guess it just about surpassed.
    They should have changed the format of the show, for new presenters. Because
    Now they are so easy to compare, and no amount of Chris Evans telling us we're
    Having fun can make us. :(
  • Matt Leblanc was much better than I thought he would be, I'm a fan.
    Sabine looks like she'll settle in just fine.
    Chris Evans needs to stop trying to be like Clarkson and relax a little bit (I'm willing to put that down to nerves)
    Chris Harris and Rory Reid (on the online show) have got the makings of a good double act.
    Reserving judgement on Eddie Jordan sine we haven't seen him yet.

it was pretty good for a first episode but it's not there yet. Just bear in mind it took YEARS for the old show to become what it was and it'll probably be the same with the new version.

I suppose it's a bit like getting a new Bond , it takes a while for everyone to adjust to the change.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Yea Evans needs to stop trying to be Clarkson. His crap jokes are even worse and his voice is so whingey.
    Didn't mind le blanc as much as I thought I would but he along with the producers need to work on making it less obvious that he is actually acting.
    It's a shame Chris harris won't get more screen time because he is excellent and very watchable. Anyone who likes motors should check out his videos on YouTube.
    Eight o clock Sunday night And now on BBC TWO its time for TFI Top Gear !
    Lots I could say about tonight's show but I think that our friend Thunderpussy had it spot on when he posted this earlier this evening

They should have changed the format of the show, for new presenters. Because
    Now they are so easy to compare, and no amount of Chris Evans telling us we're
    Having fun can make us.

However I must say that I'm reasonably pleased with Matt much better delivery than I was expecting and a good script helped but he is an actor after all

As for Chris some sort of calming medicine would go a long way to help with his presenting skill
    Might be a touch of nerves but it's a prerecord and you can go back and do it again

Top Gear is far from dead it's just about out of the ICU but will have to spend quite some time in the recovery ward before getting anywhere near its old self

As for the on line show I don't have any experience of the two presenters other than what we got to see this evening. But if tonight's offering is anything to go by I'm hopefull ..."
    The new presenters debut tomorrow on BBC America so I'm checking it out.

The American version is showing again and I'm enjoying that too.
    Problems with new (old) Top Gear -

Chris Evans - trying too hard, trying to be Clarkson.
    Matt Le Blanc - partly not his fault, they've tried to engineer the rapport the other three had by an Anglo-American shtick, which just came across as forced. And didn't work at all in the Blackpool skit. Bits with him and Evans with audience really didn't work, not effortless, I mean we always knew that Top Gear was staged but there was a naturalism about it - not here.
    Mainly it was just boring.
    Agreed, for a New show. It already felt tired and done. It would be funny if Clarkson
    and the other two, ended up with the refreshed format. :D
    I did not watch it, and from what i hear, which has been all negative. I am glad i didn't.
    This evening saw a much improved effort by all the cast more on this later as I don't wish to spoil it for those who have yet to watch.
    Agreed, I don't know if it was because there was less of Evans and Leblanc but this
    second show seemed a lot better, although Evans still SHOUTS his lines.
    No spoilers here, but...

I supported Sharleen Spiteri.

And is it me, or since they added the Rally Cross tracks, the race has longer times now ?

Still, I think that most of the backlash is due to "it's not Clarckson, Hammond and May" backlash than any other consideration. After all, if they were still presenting, I'm sure that there would be no backlash whatsoever.
    With an added off road section the times were bound to get longer.
    Viewing figuers are tumbling from 4 million for the first episode to just
    2.8 million for the second, sad when you think Chris Evans said he'd be
    Disappointed with anything less than 5 million.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Chris Evans ‏@achrisevans Jun 6
    Overnight television viewing figures for Top Gear have never been less relevant. Obviously some newspapers prefer to live in the past.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Chris Evans ‏@achrisevans Jun 6
    Overnight television viewing figures for Top Gear have never been less relevant. Obviously some newspapers prefer to live in the past.

Pretty desperate. Does he think Iplayer was only invented 2 weeks ago?

I don't think I've watched an episode of Top Gear live as broadcast for about 5 years.
    I wonder where Chris prefers to live Fantasy Island perhaps ? :))
  • Some things never change