No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    EON appear to be at their best when they have something to prove (new Bond actor, for instance) or when they are on the back foot, or counterpunching.

Examples include DN, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM (after the 3 yr gap, the loss of Saltzman, & TMWTGG's less than stellar reception), TLD, GE, CR, OP (to fend off Connery), FYEO (in response to MR's overblown nature), SF (after QoS didn't quite live up to CR) etc. etc.

They are on the back foot again imho. They have something to prove again.

That's why I have complete confidence, no matter what studio they go with and what actor they select, B25 will be one for the ages.

Well said.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    It looks like Showtime are going to go all out for 'Purity'.

During the call, he confirmed the news announced earlier in the day about the pickup of 20-episode limited series “Purity,” starring Daniel Craig (“James Bond himself,” as Nevins said), calling Jonathan Franzen, Todd Field and David Hare a “dream team” of writers. “I think this will be one of the most talked-about projects in the next couple of years,” said Nevins. “The thing that I love about the show is … for a novel that comes from such a literary master as Franzen, it really reads with the energy of a psychological thriller.” That joins the previously announced pickup of limited series “Guerilla,” starring Idris Elba. - Variety
    The fact that Nevens calls him bond still makes me believe he still is the current 007 with one film coming.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This is the sort of project that actors like Craig live for. I wouldn't be surprised if he quits Bond in favour of this because the material he'll be working with is just so much better.

This should be a huge wake up call to EoN in that they really need to step up their game. Get in new writers who know wtf they're doing and as producers, making sure everyone is on the same page. They can't afford another Logan fiasco. It goes back to what @bondjames was saying earlier; Craig is an actor of a certain pedigree that deserves and needs material worth his time otherwise what's the point. Craig has done 4 Bond films and has cemented his legacy. Now, as much as I want him back for at least one more I can understand and appreciate if he wants to move on. What's his reason for staying to do another? There are other things calling his name that require and push him to do what he loves. Craig is an artist, a creative talent that needs to and enjoys being challenged which is why he's doing this Broadway play and this purity TV show.

I really hope EoN are being attentive to their shortcomings and successes of others as well as why their glory days of the past were so great. It's time to ditch th safety net of familiarity and cough up the money for real writers, hungry writers that can reinvigorate Bond to a new level that once again puts him at the forefront of film making excellence.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Why spend money on top writers when you can spend it on the biggest explosion in cinema history?

Sort it out EON.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wiz is at it, again! :D
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    In other news: If I'm British or so; we can either vote for stay in the EU, to rename back to The Common Market, or leave.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Not exactly 'news' befitting this thread, @DisneyBond007.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Why spend money on top writers when you can spend it on the biggest explosion in cinema history?

Sort it out EON.

Why I don't blindly trust. I do agree EoN when the underdog rebuilding performs better. That's where most see them now. Not sure if EoN does though.

Guess we'll find out.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,598
    I never really got the impression that Craig was tired in the role in SP except when he was escaping from Blofeld's lair. He was strolling lazily out of there shooting the bad guys while they all missed him. This was probably the worst part of the film for me. Was this scene shot before or after Craig had hurt his knee? As for the light heartedness in Spectre, I can see how this did give the impression that Craig felt bored or/and tired in the role however I don't think that he was. I just don't understand why they went in this direction. It just doesn't suit Craig as well. I remember Craig saying he wanted Mendes to make him funnier which injected fear into me as soon as I read this.

If they plan to do the same for Bond 25 with Craig in the role, then I think that I'd rather have another actor. Craig is alright with this kind of comedy but he's no Connery or Moore. If Craig returns, I just hope they go back to the tone of his first three films. This comedy too, removed some of the impact the Spectre organisation may have had, despite the fact that the scene in the castle was dark. The humour such as the Micky Mouse line takes me out of the film somewhat. Craig is good with natural humour that stems from conversation between characters which is how it was in CR and personally how it should continue to be. Leave the funny dialogue out of the action scenes. Lines like "I always hated this place" (SF) before blowing the building up just don't work for me personally.

Mendes is certainly right. If choosing a Bond actor and director was a democracy then we'd be in a whole heap of trouble. Hell, we might have David Beckham in the role. The guy doesn't even come across as cool to me. Don't know why so many think this. I won't even mention acting abilities.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Sort it out EON.

Why I don't blindly trust. I do agree EoN when the underdog rebuilding performs better. That's where most see them now. Not sure if EoN does though.

Guess we'll find out.

Yes, they do definitely need to sort it out in the writing department. I trust them in some areas but not all.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Bounine wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Sort it out EON.

Guess we'll find out.

Yes, they do definitely need to sort it out in the writing department. I trust them in some areas but not all.

Yes they make some brilliant decisions and some I just don't get.
    I never really got the impression that Craig was tired in the role in SP except when he was escaping from Blofeld's lair. He was strolling lazily out of there shooting the bad guys while they all missed him. This was probably the worst part of the film for me. Was this scene shot before or after Craig had hurt his knee? As for the light heartedness in Spectre, I can see how this did give the impression that Craig felt bored or/and tired in the role however I don't think that he was. I just don't understand why they went in this direction. It just doesn't suit Craig as well. I remember Craig saying he wanted Mendes to make him funnier which injected fear into me as soon as I read this.

If they plan to do the same for Bond 25 with Craig in the role, then I think that I'd rather have another actor. Craig is alright with this kind of comedy but he's no Connery or Moore. If Craig returns, I just hope they go back to the tone of his first three films. This comedy too, removed some of the impact the Spectre organisation may have had, despite the fact that the scene in the castle was dark. The humour such as the Micky Mouse line takes me out of the film somewhat. Craig is good with natural humour that stems from conversation between characters which is how it was in CR and personally how it should continue to be.

this...

Surely its better to have a director on board from the word go. That way the film can be shaped by the director , with the rest of the team of course, to play to his or her's strengths. It would aslo stop things like a director coming in later in the process and wanting to change the script at the last minute.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Germanlady wrote: »

If they plan to do the same for Bond 25 with Craig in the role, then I think that I'd rather have another actor. Craig is alright with this kind of comedy but he's no Connery or Moore. If Craig returns, I just hope they go back to the tone of his first three films. This comedy too, removed some of the impact the Spectre organisation may have had, despite the fact that the scene in the castle was dark. The humour such as the Micky Mouse line takes me out of the film somewhat. Craig is good with natural humour that stems from conversation between characters which is how it was in CR and personally how it should continue to be.

this...
    +1. I want Craig to stay only if they go back to the previous approach. Otherwise, recast and move on.
    Next Bond 'will be announced next week'. Aidan Turner likely to take role...
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/04/the-next-james-bond-will-be-revealed-very-very-soon-and-aidan-turner-is-the-favourite-again-5923473/

Aidan%2BNTA%2Bred%2Bcarpet%2Bffa.jpg

It looks like we have our new 007.

Expect plenty of topless scenes.

Aidan-Turner-423650.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Next Bond 'will be announced next week'. Aidan Turner likely to take role...
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/04/the-next-james-bond-will-be-revealed-very-very-soon-and-aidan-turner-is-the-favourite-again-5923473/

Aidan%2BNTA%2Bred%2Bcarpet%2Bffa.jpg

It looks like we have our new 007.

Expect plenty of topless scenes.

Aidan-Turner-423650.jpg

:>
    Like I said, things are moving VERY quickly now. Just stunning. Bravo, EON!!
    Did I miss anything? Did Craig step out?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If this is true, and despite the fact that I know very little about him, I can live with it. I look forward to putting this thing to bed finally and once and for all, either way.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "News" in a nutshell. What does his horoscope say?
    "News" in a nutshell. What does his horoscope say?
    That he will become the heir for Tomorrow's News Today?
    bondjames wrote: »
    If this is true, and despite the fact that I know very little about him, I can live with it. I look forward to putting this thing to bed finally and once and for all, either way.

This reminds me of Orumov from GoldenEye:

"Is this true?"

;)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Is this Metro a reliable source or just another news inventor? I could ask the same about this William Hill guy but i don't assume anyone knows him.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Ummm...Ok, I guess?

Thanks for posting, @Pierce2Daniel. Still not quite sure what to make of it.
    Well, if @Pierce2Daniel is posting it, then there is some truth to it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Just read the article. It says Turner is a "favorite". We have no idea who they will announce.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 8,152
    @Pierce2Daniel is a massive fan of Dr No, so I trust his judgement to the utmost degree. ;)
    But, they will announce, right? I'm not making bets on an actor, just the announcement of a new actor.
    But, they will announce, right? I'm not making bets on an actor, just the announcement of a new actor.
    They could announce DC for all we know. Nevertheless, exciting times ahead.