No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    True. One thing I realized about Craig after watching Betrayal is that he is highly underutilized in Bond and even in TGWTDT. One feels like these large franchises are almost beneath his capacity as an actor. I'm glad he's doing Othello later this year, and I'll try to catch it, and I agree that the tv series is likely to stretch his range more as well.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/showbiz/why/
    For entertainment value, odds have increased on A Turner becoming Bond,
    Although I think my money is safe with T Hiddleston.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I'd love to see Dan score an Emmy in the future for something like Purity. I love watching his awkward acceptance speeches; makes him feel more like me in that regard, which helps. ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'd love to see Dan score an Emmy in the future for something like Purity. I love watching his awkward acceptance speeches; makes him feel more like me in that regard, which helps. ;)

Of course.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Susanne Bier: 'I would probably cut off my ear to do James Bond'
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/03/susanne-bier-i-would-probably-cut-off-my-ear-to-do-james-bond
    3500.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=66f088736ac937857162526bbf7f307f

Personally i think she's a tad uninspired a choice.

The Telegraph have run an article on other potential candidates for the job, one name that stuck out was Ben Wheatley

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/06/01/who-should-direct-the-next-bond-film/
    11707302_Ben_Wheatleyjpg-xlarge_trans++be775R1SNzm4sSSdJaF7PBkCIv3505E63jNjQF1Hma4.jpg

I also think Edgar Wright would make a fantastically entertaining Bond film. He'd be perfect if Eon wanted to make a brighter and more fun adventure (opposed to the more dour and sombre Craig films). I suspect Eon want to move away from the Craig era's tone and Wright would be terrific.
    Two names who've worked with Hiddle there. Coincidence?
    A few points

1. Last night I finished the Night Manager and the last episode alone has me convinced Tom Hiddleston should be the next bond. Period end of discussion. Suave brutual dangerous and two very licence to kill esque moments...

2. When discussing last films for each actor official and unofficial wise it really depends on the actor there is no definite rule of thumb

Connery: he should of just done the first four sorry but You Only Live Twice he was quite bored with the part and it shows. I will be seeing Diamonds are forever this weekend but I don't think my opinion I'll change greatly is it a poor film? yes. Is Connery one of the main issue? Yup... But I don't think it the only issue. The whole film is way to camp and is only saved by the extremely creepy Wint and Kidd. As for unofficial honestly The Rock would of been a better final Connery performance as 007. There he is harsh brutual and a bad ass in Never Say Never again well meh

Lazenby: his one film is quite good and in a perfect world he would of done three (you only live twice on her Majesties secret service and of course diamonds are forever)... In terms of unofficial films I haven't seen Diamonds Aren't forever in full but from what I have seen it seems a bit too tounge in cheek for my liking...

Roger Moore: honestly he should of stopped with Octopussy... Sure A view to a kill would of been a weird first film for Dalton but still Moore's only problem is he is just too old in the film.

Dalton: Licence to kill was an amazing end to his tenure had he done the sci-fi esque The property of a lady I don't think his tenure would of been rememebed as fondly to be honest.. And to be fair had the film happened I think Goldeneye would of been seen as even more of a saving grace of a film

Brosnan: if we are talking last performance period yes Everything or Nothing Brosnan sounds tired..(what did they just use the worst takes from each recording session) in terms of films alone actually ironically enough much like Craig had they made a few changes Die Another day could of been top ten for me (basically make the climax closer to the book Moonraker switch Berry and Pike's roles and change the name from Miranda Frost to Gala Brand get rid of the stupid Moneypenny virtual sex scene and you have a really good and classic bond film)

Craig: while we are unsure if Spectre is his last one or not if it is much like Brosnan sorry I don't see him phoning in anything. I do see like die another day a few things that weigh the film down a lot (the Roger Mooresque jokes the forced love plot etc) like I said I wouldn't mind a 5th from Craig just like I wouldn't of minded a 5th from Brosnan but we will see what happens.
    One of the first three is always the best, the last is always (one of) the worst. That's the rule.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Actors never try with their last entry, that's pretty much solid fact.

Is it? Or is it just your being opinion being foisted on us as fact?

DAF - Sean was still pretty good but clearly only there for the money so your hypothesis holds up somewhat.

OHMSS - George puts a decent shift in throughout.

AVTAK - Rog might not be the greatest actor in history but he is as pure a professional as you'll ever see. His performance in AVTAK is not phoned in, or if it is he hides it well.

LTK - Tim really put is heart and soul into trying to get back to Fleming.

DAD - None of the issues I have with the film are to do with Broz who holds the whole shambles together as best he can.

SP - Who said it was Dan's last film? And even if it proves to be his performance is still excellent.

So out of 6 I'll agree you may have a point on Sean. Hardly conclusive proof of your 'solid fact'.

Furthermore only Sean, possibly Laz (not certain when he decided for sure but I think it was while they were still filming) and Rog knew for sure it was their last film at the time so you're saying that with LTK, DAD and SP the actors in question just weren't bothering and picking up their paycheck which I find a tad insulting towards their professionalism.

Nah.

Fair enough. You've done me there with your incisive logic and debating skills. I stand corrected.
    Actors never try with their last entry, that's pretty much solid fact.

Is it? Or is it just your being opinion being foisted on us as fact?

DAF - Sean was still pretty good but clearly only there for the money so your hypothesis holds up somewhat.

OHMSS - George puts a decent shift in throughout.

AVTAK - Rog might not be the greatest actor in history but he is as pure a professional as you'll ever see. His performance in AVTAK is not phoned in, or if it is he hides it well.

LTK - Tim really put is heart and soul into trying to get back to Fleming.

DAD - None of the issues I have with the film are to do with Broz who holds the whole shambles together as best he can.

SP - Who said it was Dan's last film? And even if it proves to be his performance is still excellent.

So out of 6 I'll agree you may have a point on Sean. Hardly conclusive proof of your 'solid fact'.

Furthermore only Sean, possibly Laz (not certain when he decided for sure but I think it was while they were still filming) and Rog knew for sure it was their last film at the time so you're saying that with LTK, DAD and SP the actors in question just weren't bothering and picking up their paycheck which I find a tad insulting towards their professionalism.

Nah.

Fair enough. You've done me there with your incisive logic and debating skills. I stand corrected.

Thanks.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes, "That's the rule. " Wow. Like I said: sweeping statements.

Do you have any idea what kind of work goes into a film? Big budget, or small? No one sets out to make a bad film.

So, really, I'm not sure what rule book you're reading from...
  • RC7RC7
    peter wrote: »

Do you have any idea what kind of work goes into a film?

No, he doesn't.
    peter wrote: »

Do you have any idea what kind of work goes into a film? Big budget, or small? No one sets out to make a bad film.

So, really, I'm not sure what rule book you're reading from...

Of course no one sets out to make a bad film. That's just the way things go:

"The trick is to quit while you're still ahead."
    EON appear to be at their best when they have something to prove (new Bond actor, for instance) or when they are on the back foot, or counterpunching.

Examples include DN, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM (after the 3 yr gap, the loss of Saltzman, & TMWTGG's less than stellar reception), TLD, GE, CR, OP (to fend off Connery), FYEO (in response to MR's overblown nature), SF (after QoS didn't quite live up to CR) etc. etc.

They are on the back foot again imho. They have something to prove again.

That's why I have complete confidence, no matter what studio they go with and what actor they select, B25 will be one for the ages.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    EON appear to be at their best when they have something to prove (new Bond actor, for instance) or when they are on the back foot, or counterpunching.

Examples include DN, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM (after the 3 yr gap, the loss of Saltzman, & TMWTGG's less than stellar reception), TLD, GE, CR, OP (to fend off Connery), FYEO (in response to MR's overblown nature), SF (after QoS didn't quite live up to CR) etc. etc.

That's why I have complete confidence, no matter what studio they go with and what actor they select, B25 will be one for the ages.
    Agreed on all counts.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    every franchise will have ups and downs, but as far as steadfast "rules" of "worst" performances/films happening in an actor's last go around is absurd.

I'd say Marvel had a few stumbles with their first two cracks at The Hulk; Iron man stumbled by the second and third films, Thor felt a little long in the tooth by the second feature...

In the Bond franchise, Sean Connery's return in DAF is a special case: he made it known what his motivations were; he also was clear of his dislike and distrust with his employers, especially Saltzman.

I agree with @bondjames, when this franchise has a hiccup, they usually bounce back very well.

SPECTRE is far from a travesty, but, I think it's fair to say, the story and final execution failed to excite some portions of the masses. I personally enjoyed it immensely, warts and all, and I especially enjoy Craig's performance. However, I can see what turned off the audiences. And I see the story itself fell flat in large portions.

I think the producers are savvy enough to have heard the critics and they'll look to tailor and address what worked, what didn't, and they will do everything in their power to deliver a better film (yet, @Mendes, they may still fail, 'cause, like it or not, that's the film business).

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Yes I agree. EoN seems to hiccup when riding high. SP QoS TWINE and MR being good examples.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    True. One thing I realized about Craig after watching Betrayal is that he is highly underutilized in Bond and even in TGWTDT. One feels like these large franchises are almost beneath his capacity as an actor. I'm glad he's doing Othello later this year, and I'll try to catch it, and I agree that the tv series is likely to stretch his range more as well.

You're absolutely right and this was something I realised when it first came to light that Craig originally turned down the role. Craig is an actor's actor and with him, the Bond movies regained a degree of credibility that had been absent for years. That being said, the Craig era has been so unfortunate in that his era had been derailed somewhat byvtgecwriter's strike, the MGM restructuring and the disastrous preproduction process for SP. Granted, some of these things were factors beyond his/EoN's control but all the same it's just been unfortunate and Craig really deserved better. I think it was @RC7 who was talking about Craig's input and hands on approach with his involvement in making these movies and he's absolutely right. The effort and dedication the man gives to these movies, given what the role is and compared to his predecessors is nothing short of astounding. Personally I think Craig was let down by EoN/Mendes for SP and he did the best he had to work with but the man really is a phenomenal actor and what he needed were creatives who could use him properly and not have him waste his time.
    I agree @doubleoego. He has been done a disservice, given his skills as an actor.

In away it was inevitable, because his trajectory was to start with rookie Bond (which offered far more opportunities for complex acting depth imho - as he was a less formed stereotype) and finish with the filmic Bond we all know and love, who for all intents and purposes is a bit of a wise cracking, less complex fellow.

So he has been increasingly straight jacketed by the cinematic persona as he's progressed, but has also been let down by the scripts.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/03/susanne-bier-i-would-probably-cut-off-my-ear-to-do-james-bond

Bier would cut of her ear to do bond 25 apparently.... What is it is with all the self mutilation and 007 lately.
    I can just see the articles if it becomes truth.

They'll be able to mention wrists, ears & knives in the same piece and will have a field day with it for months.

They'll be able to mention wrists, ears & knives in the same piece and will have a field day with it for months.

Bond should have some dialogue in the next film that mentions slashing wrists, as an in-joke
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Bond should have some dialogue in the next film that mentions slashing wrists, as an in-joke
    That would get a laugh out of me for sure. I agree.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) It would make a great line.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    tanaka123 wrote: »

That would get a laugh out of me for sure. I agree.
    That should really happen. :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,696
    Cue Craig saying 'It's all in the wrist' in a OP-style scene in B25.
    After seeing the final episode of the night manager give the directing job to Susanna Bier. Honesty I would love it.
    The character work in The Night Manager was superb. Of course it unfolded over many episodes, but if they could do that over a series (or at least a trio) of upcoming Bond films (build nicely on characters and motivations with each installment) that really would be spectacular imho.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't know how they could even be discussing a director without a script. Makes no sense. Sure the directors could give an idea of where they'd take Bond. But that's all it is: an idea.

Without a script, a director can't really share his/her vision or what they'd do with the characters.

Once again, this speculation's all very early in the process.

First comes the script, everything will fall in to (or out of) place after that.

(I'm very interested to see which writers they go after).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Have a scene with MP in Bond 25, and do the wrist thing.

MP: "Bond, M says he wants a word with you."

Bond: "It's not about the Defense Secretary, is it? I'd rather slash my wrists than deal with that man again."